PDA

View Full Version : Precise shot for spells?

articwarrior
02-15-2011, 11:50 AM
So I've been thinking for a while about this and it would be a pretty cool idea to put 2 new feats up which act like precise shot. For those of you who don't know, Precise shot is a feat which allows you to shoot through enemies to hit the targeted enemy. Improved Precise shot is where you may shoot through enemies to hit your target but deal damage to those enemies as well. As I was saying, this would be a pretty neat idea to use for those casters at lower levels who really need a power boost if they cannot CC or insta-kill things. Now, I know what you're thinking, what about Wizards? Can't they take this feat as a class feat? No, I suggest to be it only allowed as a normal feat. Doing this will not be completely overpowered because you can still CC or insta-kill quite effectively at the higher levels. This feat should be not overpowered but not useless either, it is meant for the lower levels in which some may need a boost. Here are the specifics:

Precise Cast

Usage: Passive
Requirements:
Charisma 16, or Intelligence 16
One of:
Maximize, Empower
Arcane users commonly find ways to avoid targets and seek beyond to hit their mark. This feat grants the ability to cast offensive spells through untargeted enemies and hit the targeted enemy.

Improved Precise Cast

Usage: Passive
Requirements:
Charisma 18, or Intelligence 18
Precise Cast
Unlike most arcane users, some manage to find ways to strike targets before hitting their mark. This feat grants the ability to cast through untargeted enemies and hit the targeted enemy and a chance to hit untargeted enemies when going through them.

This is what I should believe they should be like.

bigolbear
02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
not a bad idea.. but.

I dont like the int/cha requirement here. It doesnt make any sense, were talking about precise targeting so id suggest if there is to be a stat requiremnet it should be something like dex 13. Also improved precise cast would be devastation at high lvls with polar rays, frost lance and socrching rays to the extent it would be unbalanced - and enervation and energy drain would be total overkill.

heres a counter suggestion to your suggestion vaguely based on a prestige from pen and paper - spell warp sniper.

precise cast
requires: dex 13
Any ray or ball spell you cast will pass through enemy and freindly targets to strike your designated target.

improved precise cast (based on spell warp sniper)
requires: dex 15, precise cast
As precise cast +
You make a roll to hit vs targets ac using your casting stat and dex as bonuses to your attack roll.
If you hit the targets AC the ray spell is automaticaly a critical. you may apply any sneak attack damage provided the target is within 30 ft and and not facing you.

Ray conversion (metamagic feat)
requires: arcane casting/ divine casting.
while this metamagic feat is active you may convert any spell you know into a ray spell.
For target spells: Cost increase 10 sp.
For touch spells: Cost increase 10 sp.
For line, ball or cone spells: Cost increase 0 sp.
Only damage spells can be converted into rays. A converted spell with a reflex for half save has the save removed.

Ganolyn
02-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I thought they had this already. They are called AOE spells.

Damionic
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
..Or you/Turbine could flesh out the Archmage..with

Arcane Reach (Su): The archmage can use spells with a range of touch on a target up to 30 feet away. The archmage must make a ranged touch attack. Arcane reach can be selected a second time as a special ability, in which case the range increases to 60 feet. This ability costs one 7th-level spell slot.

Mastery of Counterspelling: When the archmage counterspells a spell, it is turned back upon the caster as if it were fully affected by a spell turning spell. If the spell cannot be affected by spell turning, then it is merely counterspelled. This ability costs one 7th-level spell slot.

Mastery of Elements: The archmage can alter an arcane spell when cast so that it utilizes a different element from the one it normally uses. This ability can only alter a spell with the acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic descriptor. The spell’s casting time is unaffected. The caster decides whether to alter the spell’s energy type and chooses the new energy type when he begins casting. This ability costs one 8th-level spell slot.

Mastery of Shaping: The archmage can alter area and effect spells that use one of the following shapes: burst, cone, cylinder, emanation, or spread. The alteration consists of creating spaces within the spell’s area or effect that are not subject to the spell. The minimum dimension for these spaces is a 5-foot cube. Furthermore, any shapeable spells have a minimum dimension of 5 feet instead of 10 feet. This ability costs one 6th-level spell slot.

articwarrior
02-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I thought they had this already. They are called AOE spells.

there are other spells called... umm... y'know, ray spells ;) :D

I dont think dex would be suitable here because it's casting not shooting there for you aim your magic a certain way so it goes through both. The thought of the spell automatically criticalling with CL beating AC scares me because CL will be a 20 plus whatever bonuses you have plus a d20. This would make anything autocrittable and be overpowered, besides AC is for armor not spell resistance.