PDA

View Full Version : New Stone of Change recipe -- Ability Transmutation

waterboytkd
02-13-2011, 03:07 PM
This idea comes from a post I read elsewhere, though I can't, for the life of me, remember where or by whom.

The basic concept is that it would be nice if we could customize our gear a bit more by changing ability score bonuses on our items. So my idea for that would be a Stone of Change recipe called Alchemical Transmutation.

Each ability score would have 2 collectibles associated with it, one rare collectible and one common collectible.

The recipe would be:
- a bound and attuned item with a +X enhancement bonus to an ability score (let's call it ability A)
- 3X common collectibles associated with ability A
- X rare collectibles associated with the desired ability score (ability B).

Once the components are placed in the Stone of Change and crunched, the item comes out with the Alchemical Transmutation property (meaning it can't have any other Alchemical bonuses on it), and that +X to ability A is now a +X enhancement bonus to ability B.

A couple of things to note:
- it only works with enhancement bonuses. No changing exceptional bonuses to ability scores.
- it would work on the enhancement bonus regardless of how the bonus got on the item (e.g. say you put a +6 con on your GS weapon for some reason but wanted it changed, you could; same is true for augment slots in epic items). This is balanced by the fact that it takes up the Alchemical bonus slot on the item.

I like this idea for two reasons. First and foremost, it makes gearing up a gear-intensive toon less onerous. Also, if you have a toon that wants to make use of two ToD item sets, you don't have to double up on +6 CON. Second reason: it'll make 12 more currently useless collectibles have a grand purpose. I mean, there's so many of them in the game, and the rewards for turning them in are usually so subpar. Having 12 more of them with a great use would be excellent.

Thoughts?

Rakian_Knight
02-13-2011, 03:16 PM
My first thought was you would see a lot of wizards and sorcerers changing the +6 wisdom on their Cor. Op. item to int. cha. or con. depending on what other equipment they want/have.

Major_Pain
02-14-2011, 04:58 PM
/signed

This would make the game more fun and would make developing the best setup easier to do.

Rinnaldo
02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
A problem I see with this is that many items that grant ability score bonuses are named after said bonus. For example, "Goggles of Intelligence" or "Bracers of Giant's Strength." Now, I'm all for giving a use to mostly useless collectibles, but it would be a pain in the coding butt to change a string in the latter part of an item name from say, "Giant's Strength" to "Giant's Splendor." You'd have to do a string lookup to search within the item name for the key word that is the stat ("Health" for Con, etc.), and THEN, you'd also have to code it for the possibility to do a string replacement FROM every stat, TO every stat, which would not be very fun to write (though possible, it would be very ugly-looking code). Whether or not the final name would even make sense is negligible. The other option is to leave the name as-is, which feels wrong to me somehow...

Otherwise, I like the idea (though I could see the amount of needed collectibles being made really high so that this is not trivial to accomplish).

SardaofChaos
02-14-2011, 05:33 PM
A problem I see with this is that many items that grant ability score bonuses are named after said bonus. For example, "Goggles of Intelligence" or "Bracers of Giant's Strength." Now, I'm all for giving a use to mostly useless collectibles, but it would be a pain in the coding butt to change a string in the latter part of an item name from say, "Giant's Strength" to "Giant's Splendor." You'd have to do a string lookup to search within the item name for the key word that is the stat ("Health" for Con, etc.), and THEN, you'd also have to code it for the possibility to do a string replacement FROM every stat, TO every stat, which would not be very fun to write (though possible, it would be very ugly-looking code). Whether or not the final name would even make sense is negligible. The other option is to leave the name as-is, which feels wrong to me somehow...

Otherwise, I like the idea (though I could see the amount of needed collectibles being made really high so that this is not trivial to accomplish).

Since putting an alchemical bonus on an item in the first place requires making it BTC(or BTA if it already was), this is only a problem for the player who created the item and not for say searching on the AH.

sirgog
02-14-2011, 06:30 PM

You could change the name of the item slightly to something like "Alchemically Transmuted Clever Goggles".

I like it for four reasons.

Firstly, it gives melees that haven't been lucky enough to acquire Tharne's Goggles something to put in the goggles slot (it's not a spot you want to put a greensteel item for obvious reasons). Something to help players that are a little behind the gear curve catch up quicker is always a good thing.

Secondly, it will breathe new life into items that just weren't all that well thought out. Take the Epic Belt of the Mroranon - awesome stats for a melee toon, yet few melees want to wear it due to the power of the Ravager set (or Frenzied Berseker set). But change that 7 Str to 7 Con or 7 Int or 7 Wis or 7 Cha, and you have an item that makes casters drool.

Third, it's a chance to make some of the ToD sets useful to more builds. If a Rakhir's Ring drops for your Sorc or FvS, you can change it to Charisma (or maybe Wisdom if you don't have that somewhere) and benefit from the +6 stat as well as the set bonus.

Fourth, it's a chance to keep gear relevant through TRing.

azrael4h
02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
I like it. It makes sense, gives players something else to do, and allows otherwise vendor-junk to be made useful.

Hence, it will never happen. :P

hityawithastick
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
i Like It. It Makes Sense, Gives Players Something Else To Do, And Allows Otherwise Vendor-junk To Be Made Useful.

Hence, It Will Never Happen. :p

Qft...imho. :(

Rinnaldo
02-15-2011, 12:55 PM
You could change the name of the item slightly to something like "Alchemically Transmuted Clever Goggles".

That's a decent solution to the problem I posed. I think this idea has a lot of merit.

Malithar45
02-15-2011, 01:17 PM
/signed for every reason sirgog mentioned.

The only real issue I could see being presented against this, is that essentially everyone would have +6 to all stats as well as easy access to any +7 they desire. I personally don't view this as a problem, though some may feel it'd open up too many options too easily. Off the top of my head, we've a +7 stat...helm, gloves, cloak, belt, ring (come this Pirate event), robe, and docent. I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of. That's quite a few options to get any stat you want as a +7 though. But, least to me, options are good. They drive the player base to find out new solutions to 'how do I fit this into my build' and rather than being pigeon holed into getting +7 Str in your belt (breaking a ToD set) or helm (using a common GS slot) you could explore the other options provided.

But yeah, switching out the extra 2 +6 Cons and the extra 2 +6 Str enhancement bonuses I have to Int, Cha, and Dex would save me some epic slotting that I'd much rather prefer have +1 exceptionals, immunities, etc. And you've gotta love any idea that makes those hundreds of worthless collectibles useful. :D

vorpel
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
/signed

I like this idea. I think it is well thought out OP!

The only change to it I would think would keep it from becoming too powerful (for those +7 items) is a tiered system of ingredients that are required.

Change +1 stat item takes X collectibles
Change +2 stat item takes 2X collectibles
etc...
Change +6 stat item takes 12x collectibles
Change +7 stat item takes 24x collectibles (or possible 48x)

I just think that changing a +7 stat item should take as long as it would take to obtain a +7 stat item. That way it isn't trivial or easy, but does allow for better customization.

Sure hope Turbine considers this...!

mws2970
02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
What, no easy button people? LOL, j/k

/signed I like this suggestion for the reasons sirgog stated.

Alavatar
02-16-2011, 01:21 PM
/signed

Make it so!