PDA

View Full Version : Dismember Power Attack + Racial Power Attack + Class Power Attack.

dudjis
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Good to see that you are reading this, and if you are doing so that you may be having some of the same issues on your caped char without Greater Heroism and others buff.

My suggestion is sepparate the 3 types of power attack to reduce the TO-HIT penalty that can get to huge amounts , as in my char, for being unable to turn off just a enhancement.

If i want just the regular Feat Power Attack i turn it on, if i want some more damage, i turn on the Racial Power Attack, and if i can get epic/raid buffs i can turn on the Class Power attack.

Is there any chance of this happends?

I hope so.

grodon9999
02-11-2011, 10:45 AM
/Signed

Teharahma
02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Great idea!

herdisleah
02-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I can definitely see where more control on the user side would be nice.

I also find it greatly amusing at the use of your verb 'dismember'....

Cetus
02-11-2011, 10:52 AM
/not signed

Taking power attack enhancements to improve your damage causes you to think whether or not it would actually benefit you since you lose to-hit at the same time. Makes you build your character with to-hit in mind instead of having an easy solution when the going gets a little tough.

Difficult choices are good. Otherwise its easy- *hey ill just turn a part of it off if I'm missing on a 2*

FuzzyDuck81
02-11-2011, 10:54 AM
/signed

in PnP PA is supposed to give up to +5 damage in exchange for up to -5 penalty to attack, not necessarily the all or nothing approach in DDO. IIRC a couple of the other D&D games actually had a slider bar approach to it that was very useful - dont know how viable it'd be in DDO though.

Baahb3
02-11-2011, 11:07 AM
/signed

This is a pretty good idea that I had not heard before.

Geonis
02-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Good idea.

Easy way to put this in game.

Make Pwr Atk button like a spell, and cause a pop up with the different values, 1-X and you can drag each to your hotbar.

Jahmin
02-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Every other enhancement works as the OP wants: you can select the feat itself or the varrying increasing effectiveness of the enhancements.

Indeed, many newbs simply assume (making the ass out of themselves) that taking the enhancement automatically improves the base feat. Why Pwr Atk (and CE) function differently I do not know :rolleyes:

grodon9999
02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
/not signed

Taking power attack enhancements to improve your damage causes you to think whether or not it would actually benefit you since you lose to-hit at the same time. Makes you build your character with to-hit in mind instead of having an easy solution when the going gets a little tough.

Difficult choices are good. Otherwise its easy- *hey ill just turn a part of it off if I'm missing on a 2*

That's just dumb, and PA was variable in PnP.

hityawithastick
02-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Only from -1 to -5, at least in 3e.

~Tago_Bane
02-11-2011, 03:45 PM

lol in 3.5 there is no limit too it(other than BAB). Made fighting an ogre barbarian.... interesting. There is however a limit to CE.

this game is based on 3.5 But since Casters are so much weaker in DDO melees really don't need unlimited (BAB aside) PA, not to mention it would be lame to not beable to control that, take a feat lose 20 Attack and gain an massive amount of damage that you'll never do in epics.

Angelus_dead
02-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Taking power attack enhancements to improve your damage causes you to think whether or not it would actually benefit you since you lose to-hit at the same time.
That beneficial result is still achieved if class+racial PA are separately togglable. If you take more PA enhancements than you can hit with, then they're a waste of AP, which is a punishment for making a bad choice.

Makes you build your character with to-hit in mind instead of having an easy solution when the going gets a little tough.
Actually what it causes is making you build the character with specific categories of enemies in mind: if the player chooses more PA to make herself better at killing zero-AC portals, then she's getting worse at killing high-AC epic devils.

Difficult choices are good.
Yes, but not every difficult choice is good. There are lots of ways to design difficult choices that are also stupid.

For example, if we changed the Power Attack and Extend Spell feats into permanent changes instead of toggles, that would be a difficult choice too.

voodoogroves
02-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Yes it certainly was.

voodoogroves
02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Right. And now it's 0 or 5 (or 0 or 8, depending)

And, no Combat Brute, Leap Attack or Shock Trooper either. Boo.

Musouka
02-11-2011, 04:15 PM
/signed

This is a very good suggestion.

dudjis
02-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Ty for the replies, the idea is just for 3 icons, 1 for power attack, 1 for racial (witch will be your high racial enhancement selected) and 1 for class power attack( like the racial).

But a slider option will be good, but i dont think the game will have this mechanic, maybe you need to create something like AA conjure arcane arrows+1 ,+2 and so on, till your maximum Power Attack.

In my opinion this will be more messy than just 3 icons from the original idea , to give the developers less time to improve this

theboatman
02-12-2011, 07:47 AM
/not signed

If you design your build around having a bard/etc present for you to get the most for the least

be prepared to break out the destruction weapons when the stars dont align for you.

Next thing Divines will want variable metamagics dependent upon targets health pool/healing amps.

Tanks will want to be able to exchange uneeded AC, if they are of that flavour.

Arcanes will want to trade in excess spell penetration.

Bad idea; if you run into a less than ideal situation, use the tools the game already provides to make the best of the situation. Your idea just smacks of power creep.

Alabore
02-12-2011, 07:54 AM
/signed if feasible.

Either split different types of PA into independently toggled icons, or consider adding a slider.