PDA

View Full Version : See invisible, what's it for?

FlyingTurtle
02-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Got this as a trash clicky property on a random +stat item. Thought I could make use of it, and then realised, I haven't seen anything that's invisible.

JollySwagMan
02-11-2011, 12:57 AM
It's useful if you don't have true seeing and have to fight Invisible Stalkers...can't remember if it works for Phase Spiders/Ogre Mages though.

ReaperAlexEU
02-11-2011, 03:54 AM
have you ever been in a fight where everything is dead, yet you can still hear mob noises and as you swing about some actually hit and do dmg? if so there is an invisible stalker about. there arnt many of them in the game, but they do exist. activating true seeing (eg voice+mantle) or using your new clicky will show the stalkers up as a small air ele type creature, then you can proceed to rapidly kill the annoying git :)

i dont think it works for the ogres, though it might for the phase spiders. if it does work for the phase spiders you wont be able to hit them, but you will be able to follow them for when they reappear. please dont quote me on that as my memory is not solid on that point. well worth activating the clicky to find out though next time you're scrapping with them.

if you have access to true seeing you probably wont get much use from see invisible.

arjiwan
02-11-2011, 04:03 AM
*Thread Hi-Jack*
*Replying with no value or does not even contribute to the topic at hand*

Hey you are not allowed to post in New Player Advice!

Shame on you sir!

ReaperAlexEU
02-11-2011, 04:31 AM
sure he is! i still remember when he was a newbie asking for advice on how to melee :)

you're a newbie any time you're learning something new. eg a melee vet making their first caster, or in this case a vet bumping into a specific spell for the first time.

Aurora1979
02-11-2011, 04:46 AM
does it also work on secret doors? if so, its a double use clickie :)

AZgreentea
02-11-2011, 05:33 AM
No, because like most things in DDO, Secret doors are simply Hidden, not invisible. There are less than a handful of things that are actually invisible in DDO.

MrLarone
02-11-2011, 05:45 AM

you can get clickies/wands of detect secret doors though ;-)

Sarisa
02-11-2011, 06:54 AM
have you ever been in a fight where everything is dead, yet you can still hear mob noises and as you swing about some actually hit and do dmg? if so there is an invisible stalker about. there arnt many of them in the game, but they do exist.

Off the top of my head, you can see one in the Vale near the Djinni rare, in Cinnis's wing of Litany of the Dead, and in Running with the Devils.

I know of no other mob that uses the Invisibility spell or a supernatural invisible (Ogre Mages and Phase Spiders use an incorporeal supernatural ability, which this won't work with), so that clickie is not terribly useful. Most "invisible" mobs are using stealth, which is not true invisibility.

MrkGrismer
02-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Got this as a trash clicky property on a random +stat item. Thought I could make use of it, and then realised, I haven't seen anything that's invisible.

Well if you don't have see invisible you wouldn't see anything that is invisible ;) :D

Personally I haven't found any need for it. You can get constant true seeing once you have both the mantle or the worldshaper and the voice of the master so it becomes pointless. True seeing also reveals all secret doors so it is much more useful.

Jiipster
02-11-2011, 08:44 AM
I haven't seen anything that's invisible.

I'll give you three guesses as to why ;)

FlyingTurtle
02-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Sooo, just invis stalkers then. Hmm. Thanks. (I don't have Threnal so, no mantle of WS for me).

PS Yes it was a stealthed pun. (Ha, I did it again!)

Kaldais
02-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Actually, Ogre Magi does cast invisibilty before it attacks, it's just that when he attacks the invisilibty wore off. The moment he disappears is not actual invisibliity, that's his once a day ability called gaseous form. I believe some gnoll casters will cast invisibility first when engaged, but the problem with invisibility is that when they attack/cast spells at you, they broke the invisibility automatically. So yeah the only usefulness of see invisibilty is against invisible stalkers.

Talon_Moonshadow
02-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Monsters. ;)

{Just like Mordenkainen's Disjunction(sp) :( ]

TreknaQudane
02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Believe it actually lets you see Phase Spiders... You can't hit them but it lets you know where they are moving to.

The main reason to have the spell however is for Mobs to have a way to counter Player power however.