PDA

View Full Version : Can someone summarize the event?

brian14
02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
I am not on Lamannia, and every post seems to assume that readers understand how event works, which I do not. Can someone briefly describe the mechanics of it.

PuppiesAndRainbows
02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Puppies And Rainbows

Robi3.0
02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
The short version is

GRIND!!!!1111!!!111oneoneeleven!!!!!exclamationpoi nt1

dunklezhan
02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
The short version is

GRIND!!!!1111!!!111oneoneeleven!!!!!exclamationpoi nt1

But now with added pirates, crafting and new difficulty mechanic! Yarrrr!

Drakos
02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Basically like the Mabar event, but with the complaints about Mabar addressed.
Instead of undead the area has pirates; 3 barrel cove pirates.

Chance to pick up a treasure map after a kill.
Read the treasure map and you are on a quest to a chest.
The chest has level appropriate loot.
Example: I was running a level 3 toon and pulled +2 mith armor from a chest.

Lots of upgradeable items...but you have to be level 4 to use them.

As in Mabar there is an event once enough maps have been turned in.
A compass is needed to enter the event (cave with miners).
Takes about 30 minutes of killing mobs to get a compass.

The event lets you choose the difficulty level from 1 to 25.
The event is not a big fight; its more strategy and fighting.

Basically you have to guide kobold miners to gems and defend the miners from pirate mobs.
If you played Lego Rock Raiders http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Rock_Raiders its just like old times.
There is a 20 minute timer to collect 100 gems.

And....you get experience for completing the event.

The event gives experience, good loot and good fun.
Nice summary. Just a small clarification.

The way you guide the Kobolds to collect the Jewels is by creating a chain of torches. The need to be placed within a certain distance of one another to link up. You know when they are placed correctly because they light up and a line of light goes between them.

Also, you can use jewels that have been collected to buy more torches, extra carrying drums for the Kobolds allowing them to carry more, and other things to assist. You want to be careful though because if you spent to many jewels you won't end up with the 100 needed to comp;ete the mission.

I was in a team of 6 on the first run through and we ended with 67 jewels, the next time was a team of 2 and we had 91, so both failed.

patang01
02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
There are also teleportation pads.

You start out in the cave entrance, there's a ramp down to the bigger cave with crystals here and there. Kobolds only mine within a radius of torches. You can expand how much you can have of each through TP req. forms and as mentioned you use the crystals you mine to buy more things. Meanwhile the Pirates will start to attack you and your Kobolds.

Eventually all the crystals will be mined in the cave so you have to expand out into tunnels. Here you'll find some undead pirates where there are usually larger areas of crystals. The key is to reset torches to link up so the Kobolds can follow them to new areas while fending off attackers. Also, use the teleport devices for quicker transportation. How you do that is simple, by up to 3 pads, put one where you want the Kobolds to pop out and one where you want them to enter. So you put one by the end where there are crystals and they pop through the pad to where they drop them off and take the torches back to the crystals.

I'm not clear if you can put the teleport pad anywhere or if you have to put one by the foreman. If you can put the two pads anywhere it's possible to just extend torches down to the beginning of the ramp and then teleport pad the rest of the Kobolds to where the crystals are or at least extend the torches from there.

I guess I will have to check when they offer the preview of the event again, which I hope since there are some problems with the items they have and I hope they fix them before going live.

It's fun tho - you can enter the quest at any level but you won't get anything if you're 5 or more levels below your own level. Above that boosts end reward, XP and crystals.

The quest level system is very interesting and it would be nice if it could be applied to any kind of quest. It seems to be a simple HP, attack and save boost. The higher the level the more HP, the harder they hit and the better their Save. I think it needs adjustments tho since the level 20 guys I faced had redicelous save despite several energy drains and they took very little damage from Blade Barriers.

Sillk
02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
The event lets you choose the difficulty level from 1 to 25.

They went from 1-50 on the first test. it's scaled back now?

EatSmart
02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I saw 1-50 yesterday, but i didnt clicky anything over 21.

Also an unmentioned and very very very important part of the event: the kobolds are the cutest thing ever :)

WielderofGigantus
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
It's fun tho - you can enter the quest at any level
Nope, that's incorrect. You cannot enter the quest if you are level 2 or lower.

Fortunately a dev told me that this was not WAI and told me to bug report it. Unfortunately that still meant I was screwed for the night as I didn't have enough time to farm up the xp needed to hit 3rd level.

Trillea
02-10-2011, 03:04 PM
While the difficulties do range from 1-50, anything above 25 is bugged and the pirates were not dropping the gems that you need to trade for items.

patang01
02-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Nope, that's incorrect. You cannot enter the quest if you are level 2 or lower.

Fortunately a dev told me that this was not WAI and told me to bug report it. Unfortunately that still meant I was screwed for the night as I didn't have enough time to farm up the xp needed to hit 3rd level.

Sorry, didn't realize this. It's going to be interesting to see just how it all scales and if it scales if you're a full group differently from soloing. Maybe this avoids dungeon scaling all together so it would be nice if anyone noticed any difference form running group or solo.

Auran82
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Summary of the event:

Undertake exciting D&D quests that focus on adventure, not grind.

Backley
02-11-2011, 02:27 AM
See http://ddowiki.com/page/Smugglers_Rest_Event

And feel free to update/expand/etc.

elujin
02-11-2011, 02:47 AM
is it free to enter like deleras was ?

Backley
02-11-2011, 03:06 AM
is it free to enter like deleras was ?

Yes, all special events like this have been free (Ice Games, Mabar, Egg Hunt, Festivult, deGenev Bros)

100nadas
02-11-2011, 08:48 AM
From the MadFloyd:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=3580864#post3580864
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=3581646#post3581646

Memnir
02-11-2011, 10:05 AM
They trotted out the Pirate meme. Again. Only this time they shoehorned them into a Mabar-esque event, substituting Kobolds for Undead.

That's really all that you need to know in summery.

Backley
02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Only this time they shoehorned them into a Mabar-esque event, substituting Kobolds for Undead.No, substituting Pirates and Undead Pirates for Undead.

And substituting Kobolds for, ugh, what did we protect in the Mabar event? Altars, I guess? Wait, that would in some cases turn into Kobolds?

Is that how we got here?!?

Dev 1: The Summoning Chamber Altars keep turning into Kobolds.
Dev 2: So make them protect the Kobolds!

Mister_Peace
02-11-2011, 03:27 PM
In Dev 2's defense, kobolds are a lot cuter than altars.
cuter than Al-Tair too, but not by much.

Coldin
02-11-2011, 03:40 PM
They trotted out the Pirate meme. Again. Only this time they shoehorned them into a Mabar-esque event, substituting Kobolds for Undead.

That's really all that you need to know in summery.

They also turned the quest into more of an RTS than a castle defense.

Memnir, why are you so negative lately? I miss the cheerful Memnir. :(

Memnir
02-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Memnir, why are you so negative lately? I miss the cheerful Memnir. :(Me too.
I'm waiting for a reason to be happy... and waiting...

lazylaz
02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Me too.
I'm waiting for a reason to be happy... and waiting...

Tickle yourself!

Memnir
02-12-2011, 01:20 AM
I was told that if I did that, I'd go blind - now I'm all paranoid.
I like seeing. It's how I see stuff.

lazylaz
02-12-2011, 01:40 AM
Blindness Ward Goggles are your friend :)

See if you can find some with +10 Tickle.

Memnir
02-12-2011, 03:04 AM
I'd rather find someone with +10 tickle.
This is a grouping game, after all.

(and no hirelings - that'd just be icky)

Blank_Zero
02-12-2011, 03:46 AM
http://ddowiki.com/page/File:Euphonias_Barter_Box.jpg

I wanna know why Madfloyd has what LOOKS to be a Madstone DAxe/Battle axe...=D

Mister_Peace
02-12-2011, 03:54 AM
Terror also appears to be made from madstone.

Memnir
02-12-2011, 04:03 AM

I wanna know why Madfloyd has what LOOKS to be a Madstone DAxe/Battle axe...=DThat would be the Axe of Adaxus (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Axe_of_Adaxus), which drops from Madstone Crater.

Blank_Zero
02-12-2011, 04:14 AM
That would be the Axe of Adaxus (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Axe_of_Adaxus), which drops from Madstone Crater.

Thank you Memnir. I haven't seen that particular item ever.

Looks pretty spiffy I must say =)

knockcocker
02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
(and no hirelings - that'd just be icky)

Hirelings, the Real Dolls of DDO. :)

FlimsyFirewood
02-17-2011, 02:44 PM
No, substituting Pirates and Undead Pirates for Undead.

And substituting Kobolds for, ugh, what did we protect in the Mabar event? Altars, I guess? Wait, that would in some cases turn into Kobolds?

Is that how we got here?!?

Dev 1: The Summoning Chamber Altars keep turning into Kobolds.
Dev 2: So make them protect the Kobolds!

You're not that far off, actually.
We have a lot of conversations that start this way... ;)

sirgog
02-17-2011, 08:25 PM

I wanna know why Madfloyd has what LOOKS to be a Madstone DAxe/Battle axe...=D

Epic Axe of Adaxus?

(fingers crossed; remember that one of the Devs was swinging a eSOS and wearing epic red dragonscale on Lamania before players could run the eVONs)

DasLurch
02-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Summary of the event:

+1. Who says the old days stunk???

Barazon
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Chance to pick up a treasure map after a kill.
Read the treasure map and you are on a quest to a chest.

As in Mabar there is an event once enough maps have been turned in.

Is there a difference between reading a map and turning it in? What I mean is, if I read a map so that I can find a chest, does that map count as having been "turned in", does it destroy the map so that it cannot be turned in (so either some loot instantly OR the event progresses, but not both), or can I still turn in the map as a separate step?

gigobyte
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Is there a difference between reading a map and turning it in? What I mean is, if I read a map so that I can find a chest, does that map count as having been "turned in", does it destroy the map so that it cannot be turned in (so either some loot instantly OR the event progresses, but not both), or can I still turn in the map as a separate step?

I think the maps you turn in, and the maps you read, are two seperate items.

Coldin
02-18-2011, 02:16 PM

I think the maps you turn in, and the maps you read, are two seperate items.

Yep. They're different items. Maps you turn in just have a generic name. The maps that lead to treasure are called something "Toe-Toed Tobias' Map to Treasure"...or something like that.