PDA

View Full Version : Any Fighter/Cleric builds for a general 75% Fighter, 25% Healer theme?

ArmedCitizen
02-10-2011, 01:56 AM
Greetings all-

I am a new player who was wondering if there was any validity to the concept that rolling a fighter with 2-4 lvls of Cleric splashed in might offer average healing but yield more feat choices to improve melee potency? I like to play 75-90% Melee and 10-25% downtime/emergency healer, and love the idea of getting more feat choices if I use the fighter/cleric idea instead of going pure pally or pure FvS. Any thoughts?

Also if you have by chance played both a Pally and a Fighter/Cleric, or a FvS and Fighter/Cleric (shoot, or even a Pally and a FvS!) I would love to hear how you thought their play style differed regarding the above mentioned play style!! Thanks a ton for your thoughts and helpin out the new kids!!!

Zharfie
02-10-2011, 02:01 AM
I don't think splashing cleric is a good idea if the purpose is to be able to emergency heal... to be honest, I would take at least 12 levels of cleric for any cleric, this gives access to radiant servant 2, heal spell, blade barrier (which is probably not very good) and many other buffs/useful spells...

English_Warrior
02-10-2011, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't recommend splashing cleric on a fighter for heals....instead if you want a melee with healing ability I would recommend either a bard or any melee with worthwhile UMD.

Fighter 18/Rogue 2 works well for me....you get good melee ability, lots of feats, evasion, sneak attack and enough skill points for meaningful UMD and even open lock.

Clonks are quite good too. (Cleric with monk splash).

Or you could try a WF FVS Lord of Blades type build...great healing and solid dps. I have one and it rocks all the way from level 1 to epics.

I did try a dwarven battle cleric (mainly cleric with fighter splash) and I was underwhelmed by its performance.

Paladin is the only class I have never played so I can't comment on that class at all.

sirgog
02-10-2011, 02:10 AM
IMO the three best options for a really heavily melee-oriented but healing capable toon are either to go Clr18/Ftr2, maxxing Str, a Str-based pure FvS or a lightly multiclassed Str-based FvS (FvS16/Mnk2/Ftr2 or similar).

The FvS20 will do about 70% of the DPS of an equivalently-geared traditional melee and the other builds a little more, in addition, all three can raidheal fine with just the Quicken and Empower Healing or Maximize feats (although a build with 16 FvS levels loses the very powerful Mass Heal).

Entelech
02-10-2011, 02:16 AM
I think it's called "Paladin".

Or, smart-alecky comments aside, pretty much any melee build in the game can be adapted to Half Elf and given Cleric or Favored Soul Dilettante for cheap wand self-healing. Or UMD will achieve pretty much the same thing.

If you want enough wattage to heal an entire party instead of just yourself, you want a lot more than 25% Cleric.

The problem is, your request is kinda vague. What kind of melee? How much healing? What tradeoffs are you willing to accept? There is no "I want to solo heal Tod raids while doing top-tier DPS and maintaining 80+ AC for epic content." If there was, we'd all be playing it.

(1) Do you want to be a party-healer? Raid healer? Or just self-reliant?

(2) What kind of flavor for your melee? Greatsword? Two weapons? Sword and Board tank? Kung Fu theater?

(3) Does it have to be a Cleric? Would a Warforged melee sorcerer fit the bill?

(4) Do you have any roleplaying or flavor aspects you'd like to incorporate?

lethargos
02-10-2011, 02:16 AM
Ranger level and you get wand heals. Rogue level and you get umd. Way better splash for fighter if you just have to have the heals. Or you could go with halfling and get the dragonmarks. As a fighter you could spare the feats.

Entelech
02-10-2011, 02:40 AM
General tips:

If you were only going to splash 2-4 levels of Cleric, you're almost certainly better off either going full Paladin, healing with Wands, or doing both. The minimum worthwhile Cleric splash is 6 levels, for Radiant Servant 1. And even that is suspect. Few of the good divine buffs are available before Cleric 7.

Anything less than 6 levels is a waste. Even a 1 level dip really makes no sense given that Ranger 1, Bard 1, Paladin 1 or the Dilettante feats grant equivalent access to item-based heals.

Most of the Cleric Multiclass builds take Cleric 12+ for Radiant Servant 2.

AylinIsAwesome
02-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Greetings all-

I am a new player who was wondering if there was any validity to the concept that rolling a fighter with 2-4 lvls of Cleric splashed in might offer average healing but yield more feat choices to improve melee potency? I like to play 75-90% Melee and 10-25% downtime/emergency healer, and love the idea of getting more feat choices if I use the fighter/cleric idea instead of going pure pally or pure FvS. Any thoughts?

Also if you have by chance played both a Pally and a Fighter/Cleric, or a FvS and Fighter/Cleric (shoot, or even a Pally and a FvS!) I would love to hear how you thought their play style differed regarding the above mentioned play style!! Thanks a ton for your thoughts and helpin out the new kids!!!

I would suggest going with something someone else in this thread has posted.

2-4 Cleric levels only gets you Cure Light Wounds and Cure Moderate Wounds in terms of healing, which really is just not enough to act as any sort of healer, even just for emergencies. And to get those almost worthless heals, you give up a ton of DPS. It's just no viable at all.

ArmedCitizen
02-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Hey Guys!!-

Man- that is a ton of great answers for something I posted at 2am and check in on at 9am!!!! Thanks a ton for your advice. I am currently playing my first character which is a Pally. I am still only lvl 3 so not at all in danger of passing out of noob range anytime soon. I love the Lay Hands, but was getting greedy thinking about how to get more feats. I hear you guys on the limited hint of healing spells a few lvls of cleric would offer, so I will focus more now on pure Pallys or FvSs untill I get a financial base to start having healing wands accessible to me, then I might try out a 18fighter/2rogue as was suggested to get my feat feast on. Thanks again- you guys have been very helpful!!

ThePrincipal
02-16-2011, 01:56 AM
self heals i'd go with halfling fighter with full dragonmarks OR any race and pure pally

krud
02-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Take a look at this. the half-noob battle cleric (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=280276)

Basically, it's a totally self-healing melee toon for those who don't want to bother with any other spell casting, or ghey bb-kiting techniques. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, or the thin skinned. Be prepared to be rejected, ridiculed, and completely misunderstood by the min/max epic crowd. This is a goof around build. Don't expect much sympathy.

I currently have a human 12ftr/6fvs/2rog version. He can easily solo most content at level without any help. He's not fully geared yet, but with human improved recovery, 10% healing amp, fvs life magic2, sup potency, max/emp/quickened cure serious hit for ~150hp, scroll heals close to 200hp. When I get healing amp 20% and 30% I expect I will do much better, and can probably get by without needing to maximize at all. He has average melee dps (~10% less than a comparable Monster build, vs/FE), but it's still better than most caster/cleric oriented melee toons. Currently he has +39umd with gh, and with his next shroud item he should end up with ~500hp, and 1000sp.

So, it can be done, but since you are a newb, I recommend you just stick to the basics. You'll be much happier. Later on when you've done both melee and cleric toons, you can try something like this for sheets and giggles.

AndyD47
02-17-2011, 10:58 AM
self heals i'd go with halfling fighter with full dragonmarks OR any race and pure pally

I've never tried a halfling fighter with the dragonmarks,kinda want to give it a shot at some point.
Might have to start again on a new server and give it a shot.
Anybody have any experience with them?

A paladin can spot heal and self heal pretty good as soon as they can use CSW wands/scrolls,so if you have enough money to give yourself some supplies they are pretty hard to kill up until about gianthold.

I've ended up main healing tempest spine runs with wands/LoH a couple of times,when folks run out of mana...so I'm sure it qualifies as self healing at least.
Then it gets a bit bumpy until you can UMD heal scrolls or get enough favor for yugo pots.

So yeah OP,sounds like you want a paladin...maybe even a bard now that I think about it.

voodoogroves
02-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Paladin, Bard and Ranger are all capable self-healing melee builds. Many are new-player friendly as well.

That said, the mostly-cleric/FVS with monk/fighter/whatever for 1-3 levels are also very competent melee toons, with a ton of healing and utility. Warforged FVS 20, for instance.

If you want to be able to beat face and keep yourself alive, there are tons of ways you can manage that even as a newer player.

Anneliese
02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
I've never tried a halfling fighter with the dragonmarks,kinda want to give it a shot at some point.

I have one, its not as awesome as it sounds

#1 In order to maximize your potential, you need to spend 10AP for exta DMs. Thats quite a lot to give up.

#2 As a pure fighter, you cannot add metamagics to them or enhancements for extra healing

#3 Only the highest mark is useful during a battle - and you get very few charges of that one.

#4 Potency/Devotion is usually not in your standard gearlayout

#5 three feats to get all marks - tho feats are plenty on a fighter

Dont get me wrong, they are nice - but they dont turn a pure fighter into the greatest solochar ever.

In order to get the most utility out of them on a melee character, I would probably add ranger/paladin levels to the build, to allow you to get the +40% healing enhancements and some SP for metamagics.

Also, it costs quite a few feats, so get some fighter levels and maybe 2 monk in there for more feats.

----------------------------------------

Personally, atm my favorite char is my 20 WF FVS who dumped offensive casting (beside blade barrier) and kills most stuff with a greatsword.

Plays like a barbarian (with less damage), but can buff himself up and has a ton of SP to heal up anytime he wants,

GBOB
02-17-2011, 11:17 AM
I currently have a lvl16 pure HORC THF pally. With 4 LOH (at about 282 each) and Sov Host for total heal, I am pretty much self-sufficient in emergencies and can wand whip between fights. Great DPS and saves.

AndyD47
02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I have one, its not as awesome as it sounds

#1 In order to maximize your potential, you need to spend 10AP for exta DMs. Thats quite a lot to give up.

#2 As a pure fighter, you cannot add metamagics to them or enhancements for extra healing

#3 Only the highest mark is useful during a battle - and you get very few charges of that one.

#4 Potency/Devotion is usually not in your standard gearlayout

#5 three feats to get all marks - tho feats are plenty on a fighter

Thank you very much for the insight.
So bottom line its 3 feats for the marks,another from a {Divine?} class for empowered healing, for what amounts to LoHs and a bunch of smaller heals to top off with.
Still sounds handy to an extent,just much more involved.

Thrudh
02-17-2011, 12:03 PM

I love the halfling dragonmarks...

You get:

9 Cure Light Wounds
7 Cure Serious Wounds
5 Heals

(You can get more with some end-game gear)

The best things about them is that they can't be interrupted (so you can cast them in combat), and they are NOT affected by beholder anti-magic field.

Fighters definitely have the feats to afford them... BUT... they are a lot more valuable if you can get the Maximize feat (double the healing on the Cure Light and Cure Serious)... With a Superior Potency/Devotion VI item, and Maximize, and some healing amp, you can easily hit 120+ CSW... and 270-300 point Heals.

To get Maximize you need some spell-casting ability so, in my opinion, the dragonmarks aren't that good on a pure fighter...

My halfing is a 12/6/2 fighter/ranger/monk... 6 levels of ranger let you get Maximize, and rangers also have devotion enhancements which increase healing... 6 levels of ranger lets you take Ranger Devotion II, which gives you 20% more healing.

Another good build for a halfling dragonmark melee would be 12/7/1 ranger/fighter/monk... I'm seriously considering trying that out... A little less DPS, but more healing power, because then you could get Empower Healing and Ranger Devotion IV, which would add another 70% healing to CLW, CSW, and Heal (Maximize doesn't help heal, but Empower Healing does)...

This would put you in the 170 range for CSW, and 420+ range for Heals

unbongwah
02-17-2011, 12:04 PM
If you have monk & 32-pt builds unlocked, have a look at Thanimal's Quad H (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=260560), which is a pretty self-sufficient melee build. I also posted a couple of DMed halfling paladin 6 / ftr 12 builds in this thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=280627) a while back: one's a 32-pt TWF monk-splashed build (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3346271&postcount=19); the other's a 28-pt THF rogue-splashed version instead (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3346306&postcount=21). Paladin 6 boosts your saves, grants a couple of immunities, and helps boost the healing output of your DMs (pally Devotion + metamagics); while Kensai II provides the feats & DPS, of course.