PDA

View Full Version : A fruitless grind

Rickpa
02-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I played for a couple of hours tonight, and got a lot of stuff, but got zero crucial ingredients (alabaster) to make the gloves, the only item real useful for my monk. Also hats were unavailable for the event???

No one else in our group got a single alabaster, or pyrite. While the upgrades ought to take a lot more work, I would think that the time I spent would have given something to show for it.

Veileira
02-09-2011, 09:37 PM
I got a bunch of alabaster and pyrite from the mines, but not many doubloons out in the cove area. Played for an hour and not enough to make even one first level item. Casual players might have trouble making anything, but the event was fun and the mines give xp! Wanted to try the hats too but that was down.

Rickpa
02-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Went in the mines twice. I guess I lack the requisite luck for this. My group for that matter. Maybe it's a level thing? I was in a level 17 instance.

Tarnoc
02-09-2011, 11:06 PM
well if you were ona high lvl you pulled the high lvl stuff

and you can trade the gems for others and such

and unlike the mabar event you can buy the lvl 20 item straight as a first purchase

not needing to buy it at every lvl

Coldin
02-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah, one important thing to realize is that you can buy the highest level items straight away. If you're level 20, you're only going to get the gems for the level 20 items.

So you don't need to get any pyrites, or alabasters. :)

Firewall
02-09-2011, 11:46 PM
That's what i liked better in the Mabar Event. There you could at least buy the basic items and first upgrades while not having to take part in the Raid at all (in cases where you sometimes did not find enough Ethereal keys or the group was not able to kill the dragon).

Here you have to find (or buy) compasses and have to win the Quest several times (at least in my case where my crystal gain was 1st Run: 0, 2nd Run: 15, 3rd Run: 12) to be able to craft any of the items at all.

Fire

Coldin
02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
That's what i liked better in the Mabar Event. There you could at least buy the basic items and first upgrades while not having to take part in the Raid at all (in cases where you sometimes did not find enough Ethereal keys or the group was not able to kill the dragon).

Here you have to find (or buy) compasses and have to win the Quest several times (at least in my case where my crystal gain was 1st Run: 0, 2nd Run: 15, 3rd Run: 12) to be able to craft any of the items at all.

Fire

Not true actually. You get some gems for just slaying in the general area. You get a lot more gems for running the quest though. But you don't actually have to be beat the quest at all. Beating the quest is only required if you want to start doing the Tier 1 and Tier 2 upgrades to items.

Firewall
02-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Not true actually. You get some gems for just slaying in the general area. You get a lot more gems for running the quest though. But you don't actually have to be beat the quest at all. Beating the quest is only required if you want to start doing the Tier 1 and Tier 2 upgrades to items.

That's good to know. Maybe i just didn't notice it then. I ran the event only for 2,5 hours and was in the instance 3 times during that time.

MsEricka
02-10-2011, 12:04 AM
People do realize that you don't buy the 4th level item and upgrade it to 20 right? (As stated above)

You buy the level 20 item and upgrade it. As a level 20 toon the only gem you need are diamonds, you don't need anything else to make a level 20 item.

If you want to make a level 8 item, then it looks like you're going to have to get on a toon around that level.

Coldin
02-10-2011, 12:06 AM
That's good to know. Maybe i just didn't notice it then. I ran the event only for 2,5 hours and was in the instance 3 times during that time.

Check your collectible bag. You should have at least some gems stored in there.

MrkGrismer
02-10-2011, 10:07 AM
People do realize that you don't buy the 4th level item and upgrade it to 20 right? (As stated above)

You buy the level 20 item and upgrade it. As a level 20 toon the only gem you need are diamonds, you don't need anything else to make a level 20 item.

If you want to make a level 8 item, then it looks like you're going to have to get on a toon around that level.

And by diamonds (and alabaster, etc) are we talking about the normal gems that drop throughout the game or are these special ones?

Coldin
02-10-2011, 11:33 AM
And by diamonds (and alabaster, etc) are we talking about the normal gems that drop throughout the game or are these special ones?

Special gems. They're actually called "Stolen Diamond" and such. :)

Irinis
02-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah, one important thing to realize is that you can buy the highest level items straight away. If you're level 20, you're only going to get the gems for the level 20 items.

Good to know.

Does it work ok the other way around? Can a low level character get the stuff to buy the level 20 item for later?

Coldin
02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Good to know.

Does it work ok the other way around? Can a low level character get the stuff to buy the level 20 item for later?

I don't think so. A low level character can buy low level versions of the items, and do upgrades to those items that make them more equivalent to a higher level item. For example, you can buy a level 4 shield that comes with a +2 bonus, then upgrade that to a +3 bonus.

You can also simply upgrade a low level item to a higher level one, but you still need those higher level gems to do so. I imagine that was done so if the event comes around again, people don't have to throw away their old item.

Irinis
02-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I see. Yeah I wasn't able to check out the preview. So is there no way for a lower level character to buy a high level item short of high level character farming out the stuff? Are the gems tradeable or bta at least? Got a lowbie and want those gloves.

Coldin
02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I see. Yeah I wasn't able to check out the preview. So is there no way for a lower level character to buy a high level item short of high level character farming out the stuff? Are the gems tradeable or bta at least? Got a lowbie and want those gloves.

Yep, all the gems and doubloons were BTA. Items acquired were BTA as well, but that will probably change when it goes to live.

MrkGrismer
02-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Special gems. They're actually called "Stolen Diamond" and such. :)

Yeah, it figures. Because it would be a terrible thing if the in-game gems where useful for something other then "sell gems" ;) :( :D

Oh well, it was a shiny carrot for a second there...

Drakos
02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
I ran around with a full group for some time in the slayer area and got exactly 0 gems. I got the deblooms and maps (even named maps) but no gems.

Mister_Peace
02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
You need to slay during the quest to get special gems. You need to beat the quest to get special dragonshards.

Coldin
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I ran around with a full group for some time in the slayer area and got exactly 0 gems. I got the deblooms and maps (even named maps) but no gems.

They're a lot more rare in the slayer area, but I'm fairly sure at least some were dropping here and there.

The best place is to get them from Crystal Cove, where they seem to drop from nearly every monster.

Rickpa
02-10-2011, 01:58 PM

I was looking for a way to convert something... anything into pyrites or alabasters, and didn't find it. Anyway, I don't have access to any level 20 characters here, if that's what it takes to make anything.

I am not expecting to be able to make anything worth while after 2 hours. I am expecting to make some progress towards that end, and I saw zero. One pyrite, one alabaster, or something that I might have converted to them would have been encouraging. A hat would have been nice too. the kolbolds in the mine, and the whole quest in the mine was great, but something to show for it is lacking.

Coldin
02-10-2011, 02:06 PM
I was looking for a way to convert something... anything into pyrites or alabasters, and didn't find it. Anyway, I don't have access to any level 20 characters here, if that's what it takes to make anything.

I am not expecting to be able to make anything worth while after 2 hours. I am expecting to make some progress towards that end, and I saw zero. One pyrite, one alabaster, or something that I might have converted to them would have been encouraging. A hat would have been nice too. the kolbolds in the mine, and the whole quest in the mine was great, but something to show for it is lacking.

Perhaps I'm explaining it wrong.

Different CR mobs drop different types of gems. Level 4 CR monsters will drop pyrites and alabasters. Level 20 CR monsters will drop diamonds and rubies. You only need the gems from that level to barter for an item. Alabasters for a level 4 item. Rubies for a level 20 item.

I don't know what level you were running at, so I don't know what gems you may have received. But you should have got some kind of gems. Maybe not enough to do an upgrade, but should have got some. And keep in mind they go into the collectible bag, and not the ingredient or gem bags.

Rickpa
02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I think we might be getting somewhere. I was running a level 17, and I was looking at making the entry level gloves. So I am getting that you can only make something that's appropriate to one's level?