PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a populated server with an excellent community.

Musai
02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey all, I'm a returning player, though I never really played DDO for an extended period of time, I just decided to give it another go. I had to quit when I first started playing due to PC troubles, and never really got around to trying the game again until now. As the title suggests, I'm looking for a server. It doesn't have to be RP heavy, though I find the best community is found on RP servers. It may be asking much, but I'd also like a server with a new-player friendly economy, and people to group with.

I was looking at Argo, but if someone can suggest me something better I'll take it. :D

Tholar
02-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I am on Argo, and there are a lot of great people here.

However, lately it seems that all the pug (pick up groups) have been extremely quiet. Seems that using the mics is not too popular at the moment. I think your best bet if you come here would be to find a guild of social people to hang out with.

I have not seen any RP going happening on this server, I have heard of it going on on some of the other servers. I may just be overlooking RP since I have never tried it online.

Granted, this is just my opinion, and hopefully we will hear if I am biased or just plain wrong.

If you do come over to Argo, and need a hand just send a mail to Holyschnitz.

Payne66
02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Of all the servers i have played I have to agree, Argo had some great and amazing people.

dkyle
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
From what I hear, Khyber is great for PUGing, compared to other servers. Raids I often hear of as being "difficult" to PUG on the forums are run all the time in PUGs on Khyber.

Khyber isn't necessarily the friendliest to new players, though. We tend to have a long memory if you act like a noob at high level. But the simple solution to that is, don't be a noob! Be a newb that listens to instructions, asks questions, and doesn't skimp on the bare essentials (decent HP, heavy fort, to name a couple)

samthedagger
02-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I play extensively on both Argo and Khyber which are probably the two biggest servers. Here are my impressions.

Khyber
This server appeals to hardcore and casual players alike but tends to be heavy on PUGs. Some of the best players on the server PUG regularly even though they have a guild. Never trust the advice channel on the Khyber server unless the poster gives you a link as you are just as likely to get bad information as good. When playing on Khyber, its best to play with one eye on the forums and ddowiki.com because incorrect information plagues the server. Khyber is known for drama, and for good reason. Something about it just seems to attract people who are real jerks. On the plus side there are several good guilds that encourage PUGing or at least tend not to group exclusively with guildies and maintain a high standard for player maturity. I may not be able to count on someone from the Helper's Guild knowing everything about the game, but I can usually rely on them having a good attitude.

Argonesson
People here tend to be more laid-back than on other servers. Like Khyber, misinformation abounds, however you are far less likely to find people who are willing to argue. Guilding is strong on Argonesson and there are a number of high-level guilds which indicates active players. There are also a large number of small guilds. PUGing is difficult on Argonesson because many players like to run with guildies or solo. But many will graciously join if sent polite tells. Argonesson has a reputation as being the "polite" server. There are exceptions of course, but I've found this to be widely true.

The other servers I have little experience with, but here is what I can say based on reading the forums and my limited play.

Thelanis
There are a lot of roleplayers on this server, but they are still drowned out by the "pure gamers." If you really like roleplaying this is your best bet, but you can't even expect a majority to want it or enjoy it. Fairly sized server with decent guilds.

Ghallanda
This server has a large international population so you might find PUGing here difficult for the purpose of communication. Still, many Europeans speak English very well. The stateside population is somewhat smaller in relation. Definitely seek out a guild that plays on your schedule if you join here since it will help a lot.

Orien
I would dub this server as the "PUGless" server. If you aren't guilded, don't bother. A lot of the guilds here also seem to be very hardcore, like to raid often, and strongly encourage guild-only or guild-mostly runs. Don't take this as gospel though since I don't play on Orien much. But I do know this, the server is small because AH prices are a premium.

Cannith
This is like Orien with fewer hardcore players. It is hard to find PUGs so having a guild is almost mandatory unless you intend to solo.

Sarlona
There are a few roleplayers here, but I would put it somewhere between Thelanis and Argonesson on attitude. I have seen some hardcore players on Sarlona, but the server is large enough that you might be able to PUG fairly well. I probably know least about this server though so I would better trust someone who calls this server home.

Kelanen
02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
I am a newbie on Khyber and found it quite friendly - loads of people have offered me free equipment and shards. I am not sure what shards are but they seem important.

NinjaCereal
02-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Sarlona
There are a few roleplayers here, but I would put it somewhere between Thelanis and Argonesson on attitude. I have seen some hardcore players on Sarlona, but the server is large enough that you might be able to PUG fairly well. I probably know least about this server though so I would better trust someone who calls this server home.

I have had a lot of fun on this server. I've met some great people and have found an amazing guild (and partner guild). You will find helpful players here and a decent amount of pugs.
However, one issue I seem to run into is the amount of n00bs and elitist players that often ruin people's game play. From what I've read on the forums, this has been happening on all of the servers so it's to be expected.
My advice (if you have the time) would be to create a couple of toons on multiple servers to try them out. Decide which server fits what you're looking for the most, stick with it and go from there.