PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Critical(x3): Longsword as a Paladin Enhancement?

redspecter23
02-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm just wondering if such an enhancement would be balanced and make sense in the game. Say 4 or even 6 AP for the ability to make longswords a x3 crit weapon in the hands of a paladin.

Some will argue that it will overpower longswords. The counter argument of course is that it only bring them up to par with Khopesh, but saves a feat at the cost of AP. I'd suggest making Paladin level 12 be the prerequisite as it's high enough to make splashing for this enhancement impossible while giving a nice DPS punch to builds like Solar Phoenix and giving pure paladins an alternative to Khopesh for S&B and twf.

As a nice side effect to this enhancement, if holy avenger longswords are added at some point to the game, you wouldn't have to make them paladin exclusive, they'd just be far superior in the hands of a paladin compared to any other melee.

k1ngp1n
02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
I would approve of this move. Paladins being an enhancement tight class would be forced to make adjustments or burn the feat. I like. Unfortunately, I doubt it would happen.

Darkrok
02-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I have to disagree. I agree with everything you said...that's not the issue. I just disagree on putting yet another 19-20/x3 weapon into the game. Just because the eSoS is crazily good doesn't mean another weapon on par with it should be added. Similarly just because khopeshes exist doesn't mean we should turn long swords into khopeshes.

Your idea is good and well designed...I just don't like the power creep involved.

t0r012
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
on one hand might as well go whole hog and throw in bastard swords

on the other hand why break longswords for pallies like kopeshes are broken?

I'd suggest making Paladin level 12 be the prerequisite as it's high enough to make splashing for this enhancement impossible while giving a nice DPS punch to builds like Solar Phoenix and giving pure paladins an alternative to Khopesh for S&B and twf.

phoenix gives up max DPS for insane healing amp survivability it is a tactical decision to begin with why now give them everything?

and there are alternates to kopeshes and S&B, there is THF and rapiers.