PDA

View Full Version : Main healer

Kalgara
02-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I'd like to ask for some advise, I used to play this game like about 1 year back and have FVS unlocked. I just started back again with some friends in tow, I'm going to be our main (and most likely) only healer in our group. Any suggestions on FVS Cleric or Bard?

SaneDitto
02-07-2011, 06:15 PM
In my humble opinion:

Cleric, with Radiant Servant PrE. Your turn undeads become Radiant Bursts, which are affected by most relevant metamagics and Devotion/Potency/Ardor enhancements. Radiant Servant II makes Empower Healing improve your healing spells by +75%, and gives you the Radiant Aura, a heal-over-time effect. Furthermore, Radiant Servant I replenishes turns every two minutes, so you essentially have an unlimited amount of AoE healing if you are patient enough, which has the net effect of saving up your blue bar for emergency healing and CC spells.

Mark_G
02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I agree with SaneDitto. Go cleric with Radiant Servant prestige class. With this, you can really focus on other spells to help the party out (granted, clerics should be doing this anyway...).

pSINNa
02-07-2011, 06:35 PM
For questing up through the levels, a cleric is very hard to beat, though i'm of the opinion (just my opinion, and because i got very bored and disgruntled playing a healbot after a while) that a FVS tends to be better at end game, and more fun to play.

Radiant servant during 6 man quests, it has to the best of the lot (and with a good group, using bursts and aura to heal leaves you plenty of mana for offensive and CC casting so it doesn't get to be too much of a chore).

That being said, all my clerics have TR-d into FVS now :P.

GLHF.

Coit out~

LordMond63
02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I can speak from the experience of playing both the Cleric (several actually) and the Bard and have seen many FvS in a variety of quests.

If you are OK with being your group's only healer, I'd suggest going Cleric, as they are the absolute best at healing damage already taken. I make that distinction because there are those, including myself, who believe that damage prevented is better than damage healed. If you can prevent damage through buffs such as Blur or Elemental Protection spells or CC from pretty much any caster class, arcane or divine, you lessen the demands on your mana pool as well as on the resources (potions, wands) of those in your group. You can have a pretty good offensive capability as a Cleric but, if you go that route (most are referred to as "Battle Clerics" whether damage is done via melee or via spell), some players will give you more than your share of grief, saying something along the lines of "Ur a Cleric. Clerics heal." That's true, but it shortchanges the class and the player. Now, that said, if you aren't sure if you're going to have a Wizard or Sorceror in the group, then I'd definitely go Cleric.

While I have absolutely no doubt that Favored Souls can be great healers, it sure seems to me that most of the FvS I've grouped with tend to be far more offensively-minded than are most Clerics (including mine). I'm thinking that, if you want to wade in and do some damage, do some buffing and do some healing, the FvS might be a good choice for you.

A Bard can be a competent backup healer and even, occasionally, main healer- but you need a pretty doggone good group to pull that off. It's not something I'd rely on. The Bard can do alot more than heal, of course, as it can provide some pretty good buffs via spell or song and can even put out a bit of dps if the mood strikes. It is a much more versatile class, in my opinion, than is the Cleric and that can mean a rather steep learning curve. If your group has the need and room for a very flexible class that can fill a variety of roles adequately, then a Bard fills that spot well.

Kalgara
02-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the feed back I looked around the forums some more and I'm going to make a FVS just one question what is "wings" that everyone is talking about I know what it does but what is it's real name in game?

SaneDitto
02-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Leap of Faith.

LordMond63
02-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the feed back I looked around the forums some more and I'm going to make a FVS just one question what is "wings" that everyone is talking about I know what it does but what is it's real name in game?

Just means they bought Redbull from the DDO Store.