PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Healing in Raids

xylenium
02-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Are all raids just masses of people running around, with 3/4 of the party taking large amounts of damage, making it hard to heal?

I'm new. Have a level 9 cleric. Was invited to help heal a Chronoscope run. We had several other healers and managed to get the whole thing done with only a few deaths.

Maybe it was because half of us were new and haven't done it before at all. But people running everywhere, hiding around corners, seemed to make it very hard to heal. On higher level raids, does the headless chicken symptom persist?

Also, after having a healer in some other mmo's, the damage output of the mobs compared to the life of the character was scary. It is incredibly hard to heal when you have 7 people losing 3/4ths of their life within 3 or 4 seconds.

After healing this one, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps I chose the wrong class... Does it get better?

jillie
02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Chronoscope, at or near level, tends to be a cluster bump because individual zerging works so well on the lower level quests, and many new players won't yet have learned how to work together effectively. Tempest Spine, the level 10 F2P quest, does teach quite a bit about the level of cooperation required to effectively complete a raid; Chronoscope is now taking its place as an instructional tool.

If people are getting one-shotted for 3/4 of their hit points, they should be using light or medium fort (at level - 6/7/8 n/h/e). If people are running around and not staying with the group, then their stones can be left where they died, unless it's convenient for someone to pick them up and take them to a res shrine. The same lessons are usually learned at some point in the game - con is not a dump stat, healers can't heal through walls, zerging off and not being able to control the aggro you gather is fatal, and so on.

By the time people get to the endgame raids, these lessons are either well learned, or offenders will rapidly find themselves on a large number of DNG (do not group) blacklists.

silverraven
02-07-2011, 04:11 PM
My best advice is to not heal those who are running amok. Its really not your job to babysit them. As a cleric you gotta have fun too. Maybe try another class but keep your cleric cause it the easiest way to get into groups:)

EKKM
02-07-2011, 04:16 PM
It does get better for two reasons:

1- The quality of player (on average anyway) will be higher by levels 16 - 20 where most raids are run. In addition, everyone shold have heavy fortification to avoid large crits and they should have a lot more equipment devoted to HP.

2- The raids are structered as group up and turn on auto-attack. Everyone will be in one group beating down the boss or in one large room.

MrkGrismer
02-08-2011, 08:10 AM
I would advise on a Raid:

Stay close to the Raid leader unless he/she tells you to do something specific.

Generally everybody should be doing pretty much the same thing, and anybody that isn't is just a liability that you should not worry about.

For Raids it is important for there to be a good, strong leader that knows what they are doing (or at least knows how to be a good, strong leader).

ArgentMage
02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Chronoscope is an outlier because the optionals can be done much more quickly
if the group breaks up to find mobs to kill and defenders to rescue. The problem
is that there are some unusually high-CR mobs in there that can easily overwhelm
individual near-level characters.

So don't use Chronoscope to pre-judge anything else. It's unique in several respects.

protokon
02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
chrono is hard at lvl. It is incredibly difficult for newer players to finish it, even veterans have difficulties at level.

Don't judge this raid at level as a representation of raiding in this game, please. The end-game raids are much more organized and you have quite a few more tools at your disposal (mass cure spells and mass heal). Typical raids consist of a raid boss with one tank and everyone beating on the back of it, with various adds that complexify the challenge.

Llewndyn
02-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I can say it KINDA gets better. At level 15 right now, people still run around corners, still put on their 30% striders and run off and kite mobs back, still curse you out when you dare to let them die. The difference is MOST of the time they can live for a few seconds longer.

The best way to test your cleric out and see if you chose the wrong class is to join a "be self sufficient, BYOH" run. That way you get a feel for how a cleric can be played in a group that knows what it's doing. Chronoscope at level is a beast for a healer. At level 6 unless they have wings (and in my experience even the wings aren't a great indicator of knowledge) they are still learning the game, so you are going to get some erratic behavior. This can be daunting or exhilarating, depending on how you look at it. If the group is full of "HJEALZ MEH!" then pay them no mind, let them die, and spit on their stones as you walk by. If the group is patient with you, realizes at your level you may not know a whole lot more than they do and tries to work within the limits of what a healer can do (staying in range, trying to let you burst heal if a radiant servant) then you can use it as an opportunity to hone your skills for when you have to heal my rogue in the Shroud (and trust me, doing that without any practice is a sharp learning curve, I'm a terrible rogue) and be all the more confident in your delicious skillitude.

Don't give up on your cleric. Level 9 is kind of the "Awakening" stage for clerics and FVS, before that they are boring IMO, and there is NO greater high than getting into a group where everyone is 3 levels above you and solo healing and keeping them alive in less than stellar conditions.

The more you know...

guardianx2009
02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
It gets better in some sense.

It gets better because a lot of the other raids the big fight happens in one big room. No corners for ppl to run around into.

However, healers play pretty critical roles in raids and it can be daunting:

DQ Raid: Lasts all of 5 minutes, but that last minute the incoming damage can get insane. You literally have to spam cycle through all 4 of your mass cures or it's a wipe - on elite anyways.

Shroud Part 4: Can be easy or hard depending on the make-up of the group, a squishy fella or two can have their HP go to 0 in a matter of seconds. You can suddenly take damage that knocks you for 30-40% of your health, then you have to make the decision heal yourself or the group, fast. Or when the blades come in and start dicing the whole group up.. The most difficult aspect here though, is that anyone that dies can't be res'd. So if the healer dies, it's a wipe.

Vision of Destruction: Players get cursed, don't have pots to remove curse you waste time and SP trying to heal them and wondering why their red bar isn't budging. Or the exploding bats at the end, if unprepared can suddenly take everyone down before you know it.

Hound: This whole raid depends on the healer doing his job to keep the dogs alive. If the dogs keep dying, it's a wipe.

Chette
02-08-2011, 12:22 PM
An unfortunate reality is that you will likely find pugging raids, and even quests, incredibly frustrating as you advance. The level of communication amongst your typical mish-mash of party/raid members is just awful, and while this can be survived at low levels, as you advance to higher difficulty, communication and planning become key. Chronoscope is one of those example where it doesn't matter how good each individual player is, if there is no leadership, no communication, all heck breaks loose. You got to experience that apparently.

My advice would be to join a good guild. Get to know the better players on your server, the ones who are on voice and communicate effectively, the ones who know quests well, or at least have the desire to learn them. You'll gather a good base of players with which to raid once you get to higher level, and won't have to deal with the chaos of pug-land.