PDA

View Full Version : Advice for 2Box Duo

Shammoo
02-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I dabbled in this game a bit over the weekend, and decided I would like to try a multibox Duo. I do understand that this game isn't the most multibox friendly game out there (no auto-follow, no macros, active combat). From googling around on boxing this game, it appears that the best you can hope for is to have an active lead character, with a passive character that sits in the rear (piker?).

I had hoped to create a duo with a lead character that was Melee, Sturdy, and hopefully, capable of handling any Traps that they come across. If he can do locks too, more the merrier. I was hoping for something built around a fighter, but I'm not sure if one would have the amount of skills required to branch out into the traps/locks. How sturdy are Rangers?

The rear character would be something Buffy-Heally, with a side helping of anything else that would be useful between combat. So... Cleric. Would it be worth it to splash anything else in there? Would it make any sense to have him do the lock picking in order to save on skills? I guess I should give him some combat ability of some type, just in case. Probably melee.

I was hoping to fill out the Duo with hirelings when needed, just for the extra killing power. Would summoned monsters be of any use at all? I understand that their AI has much to be desired. But could one be trusted to just sit back and guard the cleric if nothing else?

If I have healing, buffing and lock/traps covered, could I skip messing around with UMD and direct those skills somewhere else?

Please keep in mind that these toons would not be grouping with anyone else. I'd hate to inflict my madness on the rest of the world. I also don't expect to get these toons much past 15 or so, and definitely won't be running any uber-elite content with them. But I would like to try to complete as much content as possible.

Cam_Neely
02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
From the sounds of it I would suggest
Main
Pure Barbarian with a Cleric Hireling

Dual Box
Bard with a Rogue splash.

The Pure Barb with a Cleric will be able to stay of his feet very well, while the blur, Heroism and 7 min songs from the bard will allow you to buff the Barb up, then pretty much go AFk until you need him again. Displacement, Haste and Rage can be cast at the start but arnt a huge loss when they run out. For large fights that you are having a hard time with, these can be topped off. The Rogue splash is for Elite content that you want to solo, those traps can sometimes really hurt.

The dungeon scaling from 2 characters should not be to much of a hit, with the added buffs of the Bard. Also with both of these builds, you could break either off for grouping when you want to run just one box.

Phidius
02-07-2011, 12:23 PM
In my experience, dual boxing is easier when both toons are extremely self-sufficient. It also helps if both of them are capable of using raise dead scrolls.

You could try the F2P "Freeloading Golddigger" and "Wild Crusader" in my sig for a dual-box team.

Shammoo
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
For some reason, I thought that Bard was not included in F2P. I hadn't even looked at their class capabilities yet. Guess I have even more reading to do.

I guess I should mention....

I am totally F2P right now. If this idea turns out to be fun, I will be dropping some cash and going Premium at some point. However, it would be prudent to spend my points on quest packs, not races/classes for now.

Also, I will have a standalone toon for 'normal' play. Either a Paladin or a melee leaning Cleric, since that play style appeals to me. No need to try to make this Duo viable outside of their own little ecosystem.

diamabel
02-07-2011, 12:44 PM
It comes down to your personal playstyle. There are several possible ways to go (as you already said):

1) Play mainly with one toon and have the 2nd one as backup for whatever purpose you designed that 2nd toon.

2) Switch between both toons and move them both through the quest. Depending on the quest either move the toons together or split them up.

Depending on the way you do the quests it may be a fast or slow run. The only advantage is that you don't have to deal with party members waisting time (especially when people wait to get a full party and then when the group is filled waste another 5-10mins for getting ship buffs ;) ) or with party members dropping and joining mid quest.

Since it's hard to really multitask it's better to keep one toon outside of combat. Ideally at a safe place where it's safe from respawns or patrols. Having some hirelings with you may or may not help you. Hirelings sometimes do some really stupid things.

Concerning builds you have almost any freedom. Single class builds, multiclass builds, anything. If you lack certain abilities you can always hire some hirelings. It's possible to squeeze as much abilities as possible into two builds (tanking, healing, buffing, CC, trapsmithing, offensive magic, etc.). But remember that you cannot put too much on a "single plate". There is a price for multiclassing. Dual boxing your way up to 20 shoud be rather easy (except for some more difficult quests). Dunno how you intend to play. It's even possible to do the quests under level and once only on elite. Or you can go normal, hard, elite. Or anything else for max xp. It's up to you and every approach is doable.

For building the toons you can take a look at the various build guides on the forum or go the nonconformist/experimental way. Be ready to adapt your playstyle to a certain build as a build will have an impact on the palystyle (which in the end will determine how good or bad a certain build will perform during a quest). With a single class build or one of the more "established/accepted" multiclassing builds you should have no problems playing the toons outside of dual-boxing later on.

p.s.
Dual boxing grants you more freedom concerning your group setup. Altough certain setups have it easier in some situations and harder in other situations. Can't give you more but a general help on this topic.

Cam_Neely
02-07-2011, 01:22 PM
For some reason, I thought that Bard was not included in F2P. I hadn't even looked at their class capabilities yet. Guess I have even more reading to do.

I guess I should mention....

I am totally F2P right now. If this idea turns out to be fun, I will be dropping some cash and going Premium at some point. However, it would be prudent to spend my points on quest packs, not races/classes for now.

Also, I will have a standalone toon for 'normal' play. Either a Paladin or a melee leaning Cleric, since that play style appeals to me. No need to try to make this Duo viable outside of their own little ecosystem.

If you are starting F2P then I think my suggestion stands very strong I think.

Dwarf THF Pure Barb (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=116814) with a cleric hiring, and Bard, who would end up being able to raise dead and buff.

Shammoo
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
So far, everyone has given me a lot of things to consider. Thank you for your responses.

Two people have suggested that I have the more passive character be a Bard w/rogue splash. I'm assuming that the lock/trap details would fall on his shoulders? Would having the lead character not being versed in traps cause an issue for me? Keep in mind that for the most part, this will be the first time that I would have experienced these dungeons. Would I not be blandly walking into traps?

Or...Would my lead character have good enough 'spot' to know something was amiss and would then bring up the trap expert to deal with it.

Nebuchanezzar
02-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Which of the two do you want to play endgame? Or both? or it's not a concern for either one?

For example, if it's the first then I would make whatever melee character I wanted to play endgame and build it. Generally keeping a cleric hireling on tether.
My 2nd account would have an eventual hagglebard most likely. Good buffs and easy to put afk afterwards until needed again. Easy to splash rogue for trapskills etc should you really desire.

If you want two functional endgame characters I would guess you would want a WF duo of Arcane + Melee as between the two they could functionally solo most quests while safely leaving one out of the way.

As far as your spot concern, well you control that on your character. While most powergamers disregard Spot, they remember where all those alerts are from when they needed it too. Spend skillpoints on spot.

Agree with Cam's choice, for F2P Dwarven Barb is very strong even at 28pt build.

Shammoo
02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Which of the two do you want to play endgame? Or both? or it's not a concern for either one?

Neither of them will be played at end game, and might not even make it to 20. It's perfectly acceptable for them to be 'broken' for endgame, if it would make them more 'fun' at lower levels.

I've been trying to peek at the Bard/rogue builds between calls at work. Bard sounds more fun and useful for the passive character than the cleric did. I hadn't considered the Barbarian as the lead, but since a couple of people have mentioned it, I will. Although I did like the thought of the 'Wild Crusader' that Phidius linked. Might not be optimal, but it seems more like what I was thinking of as the lead toon.

Cam_Neely
02-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Two people have suggested that I have the more passive character be a Bard w/rogue splash. I'm assuming that the lock/trap details would fall on his shoulders? Would having the lead character not being versed in traps cause an issue for me? Keep in mind that for the most part, this will be the first time that I would have experienced these dungeons. Would I not be blandly walking into traps?

Or...Would my lead character have good enough 'spot' to know something was amiss and would then bring up the trap expert to deal with it.

Yep a Bard/Rogue could do locks and traps for what ever you end up running with minimal gearing. The lead character you could invest in Spot, and with a spot item should be able to notice most of the traps, to bring up your alt.

But...

If you are playing a Barb, they have a ... Unique... way of dealing with traps. Rage and the 20 second dodge click that comes as a free class feat, you just run though them. On normal, and alot of hard level quests this is not an issue. Elite is a different story, but you will have a good idea about where traps are by then. The big issue is if the cleric gets hit in the trap, as the hirelings love to do that. At that point you should be able to run up your Bard and disarm the trap.

Might take some getting used to, but very viable. IMO

Bahgs
02-08-2011, 06:36 AM
One thing to mention on a strictly F2P basis is that you have a relatively short time-out for AFK. You will need to ALT-TAB every so often if you are running both on the same machine.

What I did for my first dual box team was (for instructional purposes only- your mileage may vary - void where taxed or prohibited by law) . . .

Ran both accounts to 50 favor on all seven servers for the easy 100 TP per server. This allowed both accounts enough TP to buy the warforged race (some disagree on spending early free TP on races, but meh). Then:

Account 1) Dwarf Cleric 19 / Fighter 1 based off of Tihocan's revised paths warpriest build

Account 2) WF Wizard 18 / Rogue 2 based off of one of the many builds I found on these boards

The dwarf was the leader using mostly melee until fire wall and blade barrier became available and then whoever leads depends on the mobs you are going to run against.

You can get past every rune except the odd charisma one and traps and locks are no problems. 5 stars, thumbs up, would buy from again.

Shammoo
02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Yep a Bard/Rogue could do locks and traps for what ever you end up running with minimal gearing. The lead character you could invest in Spot, and with a spot item should be able to notice most of the traps, to bring up your alt.

But...

If you are playing a Barb, they have a ... Unique... way of dealing with traps. Rage and the 20 second dodge click that comes as a free class feat, you just run though them. <snip>

I think I would rather 'Spot' the traps first, then disable. Will the Barb be able to invest in both Spot and UMD? Or would I need to splash in something to help with that? (ranger? rogue?)

I really can't wait to get some play time this weekend. I'd like to see how the Barb plays. But for now, I'm stuck papercrafting.

Shammoo
02-08-2011, 09:03 AM
One thing to mention on a strictly F2P basis is that you have a relatively short time-out for AFK. You will need to ALT-TAB every so often if you are running both on the same machine. <snip>

Thanks for the heads up on the afk timeout. I've actually crowbar'd the second client onto a little nettop (Acer Revo). So I should be able to keep him from going afk well enough.

Phidius
02-08-2011, 10:55 AM
... Although I did like the thought of the 'Wild Crusader' that Phidius linked. Might not be optimal, but it seems more like what I was thinking of as the lead toon.

I recently posted a human version, and I wish I had done that one instead of the dwarf. However, the dwarf is approaching level 14, and I don't plan to TR on my main account for a while so he'll have to do.

Don't forget that bards can heal pretty good too - shouldn't need a cleric hireling unless you find the bard is running out of spell points. Once you can get spell singer, though, the bard can refill his own spell points so the hireling is needed less.

Just put your laptop's mouse next to your main mouse, and "bump" it from time to time :D

Cam_Neely
02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
I think I would rather 'Spot' the traps first, then disable. Will the Barb be able to invest in both Spot and UMD? Or would I need to splash in something to help with that? (ranger? rogue?)

I really can't wait to get some play time this weekend. I'd like to see how the Barb plays. But for now, I'm stuck papercrafting.

I would not recommend UMD on your Barb, but on your Bard its a must. With low Cha and it being cross classes, UMD would be hard/impossible to get to a workable level on a first life Barb. Spot on the other hand you could work in, combined with GH from your Bard and spot goggles (black lace from Deleras is nice for low levels) it would be useful in noticing hidden badguys. As for actually spotting traps, Im not sure what a good level is, but I would think for normal content you should be in decent shape.

Enjoy the game!