PDA

View Full Version : How about some competitive quests?

PwnHammer40K
02-07-2011, 05:06 AM
This is not a thread about PvP but an alternative to PvP in DDO, a different kind of quest where players can compete with each other according to their solo performance in PvE, and get rewarded for winning.

Suppose there was a special kind of quest which you could only enter solo (not in a party.)

After you step through the entrance you'd be placed in a queue for that quest, and once 2 or more players that are around the same level as you enter the queue, you'll enter a hall with multiple doors leading to different challenges or "gauntlets" like the puzzles in the Abbot raid.

Only 1 player would be able to enter each path, of course.

A color wheel outside the doors would set the type of challenge they'll face: It could be a straightforward hack-and-slash run with lots of heavy hitting mobs, or an open field for lots of ranged combat, or a maze full of traps and so on. That way the players can choose the challenge which will put their specific build to the test, and it'll make sure that it's fair for all classes.

Whoever completes their run first would get the best reward, obviously, but the runner-ups would get something too according to the order they finish in.

Something like that IMO would be the best form of player competition in an MMORPG like this, and give our capped characters something fun to do between Raid/Epic Timers. :) What do you guys think?

MrLarone
02-07-2011, 05:17 AM
interesting idea.

not sure on the need for queues, it could a be a dungeon which you can enter as a party, the first room having a number of exits that lock behind you, each then being a specific challenge (mobs, traps, ect). you avoid the whole need for a pairing system this way as well as you can prearrange who's the challenger(s)

also i'm not sure end rewards should be anything spectacular, otherwise you'll just end up with situation where a mate throws a match to give away some nice loot...

a better thing imho would be renown rewards, which makes sense as this would be the place to answer challenges from the individual to guild level... k, my mind is beginning to blow =p

so yes,

/signed

a gauntlet would be uber cool =)

testing1234
02-07-2011, 05:28 AM
dont see why not turbine has tried lot of different quests dont see why they could not add one of these also.

lot of waiting time are spent while in a party or raid party, if your in a raid party all members in the party cant run this q only one of them at the same time.

PwnHammer40K
02-07-2011, 06:01 AM
not sure on the need for queues, it could a be a dungeon which you can enter as a partyThe problem with that will be the possibility of friends rigging up these contests by entering together and letting each other win. :p

One way to discourage that could be an entry fee, maybe? Suppose you had to pay 5K PP or whatever plus 2.5K more per character level, before you could take part in the gauntlets, and the money would be gone whether or not you won.

Spiderwight
02-07-2011, 06:05 AM
If there was any sort of PvP with meaningful rewards, I would dual-box it. Wouldn't you?

PwnHammer40K
02-07-2011, 06:22 AM
If there was any sort of PvP with meaningful rewards, I would dual-box it. Wouldn't you?That's why I suggested a queue of random players which did not guarantee that you'll be paired with the "opponents" you wanted. :)

Lorien_the_First_One
02-07-2011, 06:31 AM
That's why I suggested a queue of random players which did not guarantee that you'll be paired with the "opponents" you wanted. :)

It simply won't be that popular. It wouldn't be difficult at all to have a bunch of people walk up and fix it if there are any rewards worth having.