PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh* To those complaining....

sacredguyver
02-04-2011, 02:44 PM
... GIVE IT A REST.

Sure, we could have received information about Update 9 like most were hoping for, but this is still better than nothing.

If you want to argue about the Dev silence before a "simple" patch release, chalk it up to working on the bug fixes, creating the event, and working on Update 9 all at the same time just so that it can be released either on or near DDO's 5th Anniversary.

With any luck, the Devs figured out a few things from the semi-failtastic Mabar event and improved upon it for this Anniversary Event.

As someone who started playing DDO in January of 2010, there's much I've missed, so the chance to check out the original starting island (and the marketplace event courtesy of the Chronoscope raid) is something I'm looking forward to, regardless of the event items.

I tip my tri-cornered hat to you, Devs, for bringing us this awesome game and helping it to prosper. May we live to play for another 5 years.

Alexandryte
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
What? Logic? On the Forums?

We shall have none of that good sir.

(begins passing out torches and pitchforks)

(In all fairness, yes we know, yes they know.....doesnt change the fact that we all might be still disappointed)

Coldin
02-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm appreciative of an update. And a brand new anniversary event sounds great.

But I would like the CS Reps and Devs to learn a bit better communication with regards to things like this. I don't believe anyone in the general community was expecting the next update to the game to not be Update 9. They had a few opportunities to clarify that we would be getting 8.1 instead of 9, but no hints were given besides general silence.

I love DDO, and I look forward to testing out the new events, but sometimes I can do nothing but simply shake my head in disappointment.

MrkGrismer
02-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm ecstatic about it. Here I was thinking about getting one of those nice pirate hats for wearing around the harbor and now I know I can save my TP because i will be getting one for every character free. :D

GoldyGopher
02-04-2011, 02:59 PM
There are a lot of players who are running out of things to accomplish in the game and this patch, no matter how you want to frame it, isn't better than nothing for those players.

I have two guildes I suspect won't make it to U9 because after 1 year of no new high level content and they have multi-TR multiple characters they are bored.

Raiderone
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM

But I would like the CS Reps and Devs to learn a bit better communication with regards to things like this. I don't believe anyone in the general community was expecting the next update to the game to not be Update 9. They had a few opportunities to clarify that we would be getting 8.1 instead of 9, but no hints were given besides general silence.

I love DDO, and I look forward to testing out the new events, but sometimes I can do nothing but simply shake my head in disappointment.

Ditto. It's like totally misleading. Yah we all wanted U8 patch1 on Lamannia.

Oh I was really hoping for U8 patch2...

Come out and say it. It's like more of the same...beating around the bush mentality.

Here's to U9 being amazing. Cause I dont really care about EVENTs thank you very much.

Not after MABAR fiasco!

Raiderone
02-04-2011, 03:15 PM
... GIVE IT A REST.

Sure, we could have received information about Update 9 like most were hoping for, but this is still better than nothing.

If you want to argue about the Dev silence before a "simple" patch release, chalk it up to working on the bug fixes, creating the event, and working on Update 9 all at the same time just so that it can be released either on or near DDO's 5th Anniversary.

With any luck, the Devs figured out a few things from the semi-failtastic Mabar event and improved upon it for this Anniversary Event.

As someone who started playing DDO in January of 2010, there's much I've missed, so the chance to check out the original starting island (and the marketplace event courtesy of the Chronoscope raid) is something I'm looking forward to, regardless of the event items.

I tip my tri-cornered hat to you, Devs, for bringing us this awesome game and helping it to prosper. May we live to play for another 5 years.

Just by your own words (Jan 2010) dont tell us to give it a REST! We've been here alot longer than you.

Anyone who's been here before FTP knows about the miss communication and lack of content.

What do you mean better than nothing? Two events are NOTHING!

Its a PATCH! NOt a Upgrade. I dont expect Dev's to have to tell US but even others have been silent. Oh wow..picture contests! Been there done that!!!

Picture Contests have been the latest communication!

You wonder why Peeps get fed up and leave!

I'm like looking all week for Lamannia for what...Events!

Misleading isnt the half of it.

sacredguyver
02-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Just by your own words (Jan 2010) dont tell us to give it a REST! We've been here alot longer than you.
Yes, many others have played DDO longer than I have, and many others haven't been around for an entire year, so what's your point?

Anyone who's been here before FTP knows about the miss communication and lack of content.So if everyone from before the change to F2P knows and remembers every instance of Dev miscommunication and lack of content, then this should be nothing new and more of the "same old thing."

What do you mean better than nothing? Two events are NOTHING!"Nothing" when compared to what? Compared to a graphics overhaul, new magic system, new class, etc, then yes, the Anniversary Event can be considered "nothing." However, compared to absolute silence with no idea what is going to happen or when, an Event or two is preferable. It at least shows that the Devs are working instead of kicking back and enjoying the profits from all the DDO Store purchases.

Its a PATCH! NOt a Upgrade. I dont expect Dev's to have to tell US but even others have been silent. Oh wow..picture contests! Been there done that!!!

Picture Contests have been the latest communication!And what about it? A patch shows that the Devs are paying attention and working to fix what can be considered "wrong" with the game. Any patch that fixes problems is an upgrade from the previous version. With just that line, every content update, adventure pack, and patch since DDO was in beta is an Upgrade, whether it was something profoundly game-changing or not.

You wonder why Peeps get fed up and leave!

I'm like looking all week for Lamannia for what...Events!

Misleading isnt the half of it.I don't wonder why people get "fed up" and leave the game and forums. I don't have to nor should I want to. The game works for me, it meets and surpasses MY expectations. If DDO doesn't do the same for other people, then that's a problem THEY have to figure out, not I.

In what way were we mislead? Nothing was said about anything from Update 9 being in this week's Lamannia update. The only two pieces of information we were given were that: "Lamannia was going to be online" and "for a special preview." How can one consider a regular Update (which is what Update 9 is, a regular update that brings changes to the game itself, as did other odd-numbered Updates) "special?" An event is "special" because it is not normal, is not expected.

Easiest way to avoid disappointment is to not get your hopes up and expect something based on rumor, which is precisely what most (if not all) previous discussion of Update 9 being released on Lamannia this week was: RUMOR.

donfilibuster
02-04-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm happy enough knowing the new event is gonna have its own instances and not a public area.
My joy is short lived as they'll bring back the egg hunt to the marketplace but still.
No big deal, just big lag, so doing it off shore seems like a good idea.

Raiderone
02-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Yes, many others have played DDO longer than I have, and many others haven't been around for an entire year, so what's your point?

So if everyone from before the change to F2P knows and remembers every instance of Dev miscommunication and lack of content, then this should be nothing new and more of the "same old thing."

"Nothing" when compared to what? Compared to a graphics overhaul, new magic system, new class, etc, then yes, the Anniversary Event can be considered "nothing." However, compared to absolute silence with no idea what is going to happen or when, an Event or two is preferable. It at least shows that the Devs are working instead of kicking back and enjoying the profits from all the DDO Store purchases.

And what about it? A patch shows that the Devs are paying attention and working to fix what can be considered "wrong" with the game. Any patch that fixes problems is an upgrade from the previous version. With just that line, every content update, adventure pack, and patch since DDO was in beta is an Upgrade, whether it was something profoundly game-changing or not.

I don't wonder why people get "fed up" and leave the game and forums. I don't have to nor should I want to. The game works for me, it meets and surpasses MY expectations. If DDO doesn't do the same for other people, then that's a problem THEY have to figure out, not I.

In what way were we mislead? Nothing was said about anything from Update 9 being in this week's Lamannia update. The only two pieces of information we were given were that: "Lamannia was going to be online" and "for a special preview." How can one consider a regular Update (which is what Update 9 is, a regular update that brings changes to the game itself, as did other odd-numbered Updates) "special?" An event is "special" because it is not normal, is not expected.

Easiest way to avoid disappointment is to not get your hopes up and expect something based on rumor, which is precisely what most (if not all) previous discussion of Update 9 being released on Lamannia this week was: RUMOR.

I'm glad your happy about an Event. I didnt say the Devs arent working.

I doubt anyone except those in the know, was expecting a Patch. And yes it's misleading. I certainly didn't see any threads asking about U8 Patch1.

So give it A REST as you would say! Mr I've been here 1 Year!

Then someone from DDO should've set the RUMOR straight. "Sorry but Lamannia will be coming up for a Patch and upcoming Events not U9 at this time"

It's called bad customer relations! Pangs of before FTP!

SardaofChaos
02-04-2011, 04:25 PM

It's not the fault of the devs that everyone jumped on a simple dev silence and then lamannia notes to automatically mean Update 9. Did they have chances to say it wasn't? Yeah. But, did they ever say it was?

AZgreentea
02-04-2011, 04:25 PM
(begins passing out torches and pitchforks)
Um, Excuse me. I am going to need a fork and a matchstick for my Halfling..... :o

Some of the complaints remind me of my days in cable tech support. It was funny and frightening how people reacted to not being able to watch TV for 24 hours while waiting for a tech to come out. My all time fave serious comment from a customer was "What am I supposed to do without TV for two days!"

I'm glad the event is coming. I never got to experience this part of the game. I dont remember Turbine promising U9 in Feb, so I dont get why everyone is so disappointed. Everyone ASSUMED U9 would be in Feb, and you know what happens when you assume.....

Coldin
02-04-2011, 04:35 PM
It's not the fault of the devs that everyone jumped on a simple dev silence and then lamannia notes to automatically mean Update 9. Did they have chances to say it wasn't? Yeah. But, did they ever say it was?

Lack of communication and players assumptions doesn't let them off the hook for not communicating clearly.

LeLoric
02-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Ummm pretty much all of the devs recent contact with us, what little there was, has in some way implied update 9. Codeshapers blog post says for the next update not the next patch although almost everything he talked about is in this patch. Devs responding to posts asking specifically about update 9 with talk of it being on lamannia this week. There was ample time to correct the players and say that we will have a small patch and a live event coming soon and update 9 would not be ehre. The deceitful misleading is very bad form.

Turbine clearly has issues with the number 9. First it was mod 9 that nearly ruined the game. Not saying update 9 is going to be that way but a lot of the lack of information along with misleading information is very reminiscent of that time for those of us who were around.

Alexandryte
02-05-2011, 12:44 AM
In semi-retrospect...and to be quite honest I don't expect the devs to be able to answer (we understand your hands are tied sometimes), could it be possible that U9 was slated next but with all the adverse weather we all have been having that they needed to ship the part that was mostly ready to make the deadline of the anniversary, creating the existence of U8.1 rather than just going on to U9?

IE: the anniversary event and a few minor bug fixes that dont seem to touch other critical systems?

If thats the case, I personally understand. I just wish that the Devs and CMs that post were allowed to be a bit more candid with us. You dont have to give exact details, but just some idea that stuff is going forward or something came up and is causing a delay would be nice. Granted we cant actually fix the problem but the communication would pave a much more understanding road than having, essentially, a Turbine media blackout.

Coldin
02-05-2011, 01:01 AM
In semi-retrospect...and to be quite honest I don't expect the devs to be able to answer (we understand your hands are tied sometimes), could it be possible that U9 was slated next but with all the adverse weather we all have been having that they needed to ship the part that was mostly ready to make the deadline of the anniversary, creating the existence of U8.1 rather than just going on to U9?

IE: the anniversary event and a few minor bug fixes that dont seem to touch other critical systems?

If thats the case, I personally understand. I just wish that the Devs and CMs that post were allowed to be a bit more candid with us. You dont have to give exact details, but just some idea that stuff is going forward or something came up and is causing a delay would be nice. Granted we cant actually fix the problem but the communication would pave a much more understanding road than having, essentially, a Turbine media blackout.

Possible. Though extending from that theory, it's more possible that they were planning on getting 8.1 out even sooner than this. Maybe they wanted it out on Lamannia in January, so then it could go on Live sometime in early February. At the current rate, we probably won't see 8.1 on Live until the end of February.

Postumus
02-05-2011, 01:08 AM
I dont remember Turbine promising U9 in Feb, so I dont get why everyone is so disappointed. Everyone ASSUMED U9 would be in Feb, and you know what happens when you assume.....

Uhhh... I throw a forum tantrum and bash the game to cope with my self-inflicted disappointment?

QuantumFX
02-05-2011, 01:23 AM

There may also be other issues surrounding the naming of the update. When Update 8.1 is released on the live servers it may actually be with Update 9. The 8.1 version is just the stuff they’re willing to let us know about *now* while the other stuff is meant for whatever gaming convention is next.

Alexandryte
02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Possible. Though extending from that theory, it's more possible that they were planning on getting 8.1 out even sooner than this. Maybe they wanted it out on Lamannia in January, so then it could go on Live sometime in early February. At the current rate, we probably won't see 8.1 on Live until the end of February.

I was trying to be overly optimistic and give the benefit of the doubt.

However, this bitter cold is not doing much to keep me optimistic.This Snowpocalypse is making it quite hard for me to be anything but a cynic with the occasional burst of optimism.

Entelech
02-05-2011, 11:26 AM
They have a hard deadline for the anniversary event, so they need to get that up on Lamannia and debugged. Certainly, if we learned anything from the Mabar event, it's that testing and debugging is important.

And it wouldn't do to have the anniversary date come and go while the event they planned still is not ready.

Update 9 has no date at all it has to meet. Sure, we're hoping for it sooner rather than later, but there have been no promises.

And, if there's something big slated for this year (like, say Druids) then I would be surprised if they didn't hold onto it for their big announcement at PAX East.

AZgreentea
02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
And it wouldn't do to have the anniversary date come and go while the event they planned still is not ready.
Very true. I can only imagine the forums if the 5 year event was a month late!:D

We know from devs comments that the snow storms really slowed them down. I dont really care if U9 takes another 4-5 months, as long as we get a decent quality update.

Hey Turbine, you should move down here to Arizona. I only see snow if I travel a few hours north. :p

Zenako
02-05-2011, 12:00 PM
hmmm...the conundrums of a product manager...

I've a bunch of cool new stuff to release, but some of it has some bugs that we have not licked yet, but they only affect a few types of builds...should we fix it before or after release. If we wait, we get hammered for not releasing something sooner (but since we have been so quiet about it no one knows what it is so all the posters can do is speculate), on the other hand if we release it with known issues we get hammered by not only the current players, but take a hit in publications about releasing bugged software. (Those same publications probably don't care a flaming skeleton about slipped dates.)

So what could we do. Lets release the ready for prime time stuff, and hold back the stuff we need to polish up a bit. Something is better than nothing, and while it will seem insufficient to some players, it will keep a flow of stuff coming out.

Plus we have had a wicked humongous amount of snow that has messed with everyone's lives and schedules in this neck of the woods this past month. :eek: Someone somehow found a way to get a permanent EXTEND spell on Snow Storms around here.:(

KillEveryone
02-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Turbine clearly has issues with the number 9. First it was mod 9 that nearly ruined the game.

How did mod 9 nearly ruin the game?

Are you ragging on F2P?

Trillea
02-05-2011, 06:13 PM
How did mod 9 nearly ruin the game?

Are you ragging on F2P?

No I think that he is talking about how LONG of a wait we had for it. Almost a year with no updates almost killed this game.

donfilibuster
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Hey Turbine, you should move down here to Arizona. I only see snow if I travel a few hours north. :p
Except for this week's stupid cold front, it did snow in some parts isn't it?
And people move to arizona to avoid snow so this cold front is silly.

KillEveryone
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
No I think that he is talking about how LONG of a wait we had for it. Almost a year with no updates almost killed this game.

Ahhhh.

I was wondering. I've heard people in game that haven't been happy with F2P model so I was wondering.

LeLoric
02-05-2011, 07:05 PM

This.

Mod 9 never made it to the game it's just what people that had been around dubbed it. Turbine called it DDO: Eberron Unlimited.

Missing_Minds
02-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Seldom do I agree, but I have to with Coldin here.

After 5 years and very little in the way of "events" the community is rather used to lack of "in game events" persay.

Hambo
02-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm glad your happy about an Event. I didnt say the Devs arent working.

I doubt anyone except those in the know, was expecting a Patch. And yes it's misleading. I certainly didn't see any threads asking about U8 Patch1.

So give it A REST as you would say! Mr I've been here 1 Year!

Then someone from DDO should've set the RUMOR straight. "Sorry but Lamannia will coming up for a Patch and upcoming Events not U9 at this time"

It's called bad customer relations! Pangs of before FTP!

Sometimes I wonder if any "founding players" remember what used to happen when the Devs used to announce what was coming on what date and were either unable to deliver the content or had to delay the release date... Heck, the amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth was deafening if it took them as little as 15 minutes longer than anticipated to bring the game back online after a Mod.

The wall of hate and disappointment the forums would become during such events is, IMHO, the true reason Turbine has stopped communicating specifics to us.

AZgreentea
02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Except for this week's stupid cold front, it did snow in some parts isn't it?
And people move to arizona to avoid snow so this cold front is silly.
It didnt snow so bad that you couldnt get to work. Well, unless the cold snap killed your battery. Plus, the snow never sticks down here in the valley.

maddmatt70
02-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I think update 9 is a very important update for Turbine. Last year's big update proved to be update 7 which they got right. I think update 9 could be the most important since update 1 because of likely a new class, changes to the end game, new pres, more content, new raid?, etc.. I would rather them get it right then wrong so I do not mind them taking their time and getting it right.

There is plenty of precedence for mid update patches especially the anniversay event.

pSINNa
02-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I've got to agree with Matt here, i can wait, if it's 'right' when it comes.

I'm not crazy about 'events', but, it's kobolds, and the longer i play the funnier i find those guys.
All feedback from the test event points towards them being worth a really good laugh in this event, cool. :)

I've still got some items left to craft from update 7/8 and while i know those quests pretty well now, i still find them good to run (Undermine, i laugh everytime i run that thing xD).

I can wait, a little longer :P.

Update 9, please be 'right' when you come (prays for some higher level content to debuff my 50%hate of vale/iq re-running :P)

Coit out~

asphodeli
02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
my opinion: devs are stretching themselves thin for U9, with the events and all. Hope it isn't bug-ridden.

Fenrisulven6
02-06-2011, 10:57 PM

Does July 2006 count? :rolleyes:

With today's economy, I'm just grateful that Turbine is still in business and that the servers are still running.

As for Dev input, I don't see any SLA saying that have a duty to run a Mod by you. I think its great when they do, but I think we've turned a perk into an expectation.

Hendrik
02-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Sometimes I wonder if any "founding players" remember what used to happen when the Devs used to announce what was coming on what date and were either unable to deliver the content or had to delay the release date... Heck, the amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth was deafening if it took them as little as 15 minutes longer than anticipated to bring the game back online after a Mod.

The wall of hate and disappointment the forums would become during such events is, IMHO, the true reason Turbine has stopped communicating specifics to us.

QFT!

And you are being way to generous with the 15mins.

More often then not, was more like a couple minutes.

dunklezhan
02-07-2011, 08:08 AM
With today's economy, I'm just grateful that Turbine is still in business and that the servers are still running.

As for Dev input, I don't see any SLA saying that have a duty to run a Mod by you. I think its great when they do, but I think we've turned a perk into an expectation.

All of that right there? Both versions of the QFT acronym.

Raiderone
02-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Does July 2006 count? :rolleyes:

Sorry but I dont like when someone who's been here only a year, tells peeps to give it a rest.

I'm glad Turbine is doing well but it has nothing to do with the Economy. Put a good product out and treat your customers right. And for the most part Turbine has been doing that.

Never said Devs need to run a MOD by me! Thats just a silly comment!
Hey I doubt many people were expecting U8 Patch1. So I dont see why DDO couldnt come out and Say what update was going on Lamannia.

Not keeping it such a big secret until same day that afternoon. Been throught Vast and Mysterious before! Didnt like it then and don't like it now. :eek:

Auran82
02-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Sorry but I dont like when someone who's been here only a year, tells peeps to give it a rest.

I'm glad Turbine is doing well but it has nothing to do with the Economy. Put a good product out and treat your customers right. And for the most part Turbine has been doing that.

Never said Devs need to run a MOD by me! Thats just a silly comment!
Hey I doubt many people were expecting U8 Patch1. So I dont see why DDO couldnt come out and Say what update was going on Lamannia.

Not keeping it such a big secret until same day that afternoon. Been throught Vast and Mysterious before! Didnt like it then and don't like it now. :eek:

I hope we get another preview soon, because it was a bit silly to build people up somewhat with "Lammania will be up this week!" etc, then put it up with just a patch and a 2 hour preview of the event (which for me was between like 6-8am saturday)

With the event turned off, there is absolutely no reason to even log onto the server.

Tumarek
02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

--snip--

How long does one have to troll these forums to be granted this privilege?

Raiderone
02-07-2011, 08:33 AM

Turbine doesn't stop communicating cause of Forum backlash. Turbine stops communicating because they choose too or are told too.

I remember when we had weekly updates. Nothing ever is wrong with communicating with your customers. Good news or bad.

Hambo
02-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I think update 9 is a very important update for Turbine. Last year's big update proved to be update 7 which they got right. I think update 9 could be the most important since update 1 because of likely a new class, changes to the end game, new pres, more content, new raid?, etc.. I would rather them get it right then wrong so I do not mind them taking their time and getting it right.

There is plenty of precedence for mid update patches especially the anniversay event.

Stop spreading rumors :)

The last 'official' word I heard (from one of the recent "ask the Devs" segments on DDOcast) said Fall 2011, if then.

rest
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
why is everyone trying to give me away?