PDA

View Full Version : Negative Reputation System.

Unreliable
01-24-2011, 02:29 PM
This is honest feedback I am giving and would appreciate if people took this seriously instead of it being a troll post or a joke. Thanks.

I do not like the fact that you can be in danger of being moderated just because you can neg rep posts if you do not like/agree to what someone has to say. If you don't agree with what someone says, that's fine just say you don't agree with it or ignore it, but there is not need to neg rep them and put them at risk of being moderated because you did not agree with their ideas. I am not defending anyone, or posting on another forum account because i got banned I just think that grounds for negative reputation should be if someone posts something that is inappropriate/unacceptable for a public forum community (mentioning hacks/exploits/names/or anything against the CoC) rather then something you don't agree with. Everyone has their own opinions about different matters, no reason the people with the big forum rep bars should be the ones who decide if your ideas are "good" or "not good (moderator worthy only)".

Thanks, and a bigger Thanks to those of you who took this suggestion seriously.

Lorien_the_First_One
01-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Don't worry.

The mods neutered the forum rep system months ago. You can not be moderated due to a long red twizzler from neg rep. There is one person who had over 3000 neg rep and posted freely. Many others have huge red bars and freely post.

Also its hard to stay in the red. Even if you get pushed there briefly, unless you are a complete jerk you will not stay in the red, if only because there are more people who can give pos rep than neg.

Finally if you get neg rep you feel is inappropriate, pm the mods. They can reverse it if they agree and the person who gave it to you can face penalties.

+rep for your clear presentaton of your concerns :)

mws2970
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
What is it you are suggesting OP? Are you suggesting changing the reasons for giving neg rep? If so, people still could give neg rep for not liking what you post under the guise of it being inappropriate. I'm not saying this is right, just that it is possible.

Unreliable
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Don't worry.

The mods neutered the forum rep system months ago. You can not be moderated due to a long red twizzler from neg rep. There is one person who had over 3000 neg rep and posted freely. Many others have huge red bars and freely post.

Also its hard to stay in the red. Even if you get pushed there briefly, unless you are a complete jerk you will not stay in the red, if only because there are more people who can give pos rep than neg.

Finally if you get neg rep you feel is inappropriate, pm the mods. They can reverse it if they agree and the person who gave it to you can face penalties.

Thanks for the updated information, I read someone where and/or someone mentioned grounds for neg rep were just disagreement over an idea. Never found this to be fair as many people have different opinions, giving someone neg rep because you do not agree with their idea is pretty much saying your opinion means more then theirs. This has happened to me several times, so much as to scare me off from the forums most times :P (This post itself was a bold move for me). Good to know I was somewhat wrong.

KingOfCheese
01-24-2011, 02:38 PM
The appropriate forum reasons for neg rep are as follows:

Disapprove (e.g. Inflammatory, Derogatory, Disruptive, Trolling, or violates community guidelines)

If people are giving neg rep for simple differences in opinion: 1) it is wrong under the current standards; 2) they could theoretically be reprimanded by the forum moderators; and 3) the neg rep can be removed by the forum moderators.

So in that sense, the system already is as you'd like--other than the fact that some people continue to break the rules.

All that being said, I have seen more than a few posts that received neg rep AND where the receivor of the neg rep complained that it was improper and because of a difference in opinion: but in fact it was because the poster was inflammatory, derogatory, disruptive etc. in the way they conveyed their opinion--not because of a disagreement. At least some of the time, I suspect these posters did not realize their post was inflammatory, derogatory, etc. causing them to misconstrue the purpose of the neg rep.

Postumus
01-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Well, as memnir and others have pointed out, the rep system is basically just a "I like/dislike your post" vote more than anything else at this point. If you aren't outright attacking people or posting taboo subjects, neg rep isn't something you ever need to worry about.

I have been pretty acerbic in some posts and actually received pos rep, yet completely innocuous posts - like my one liner "Tiger woods can't PVP for !@#$"- received neg rep. (I dunno, maybe Tiger negged me?)

Unreliable
01-24-2011, 02:40 PM
What is it you are suggesting OP? Are you suggesting changing the reasons for giving neg rep? If so, people still could give neg rep for not liking what you post under the guise of it being inappropriate. I'm not saying this is right, just that it is possible.

under the guise of it being inappropriate should be grounds for negative rep, under the guise of it being an opinion that you do not like and/or do not agree with should not be grounds for neg rep. (my opinion of course)

doubledge
01-24-2011, 02:40 PM
actually, i think it was 3400 -rep.

mws2970
01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Well, as memnir and others have pointed out, the rep system is basically just a "I like/dislike your post" vote more than anything else, and it seems to be treated as such by moderators.

This ^^^ was what I was trying to say.

samthedagger
01-24-2011, 02:45 PM
What you describe is an inherent flaw in the system. But it is a flaw that is difficult to exploit because the number of people with large enough reputation to contribute negative reputation is small compared to the number of people who post. Generally people who make a huge stink about someone just because of a difference of opinion are going to have a small impact on someone's reputation and be easy to overcome. If you receive multiple negative reputation for a single post, chances are it was more than just a difference of opinion. Maybe you expressed your point of view in a derogatory manner or were condescending. Police yourself, be polite about your disagreements, avoid name-calling and needless repetition on the same subject, and the negative reputation you receive will be minimal. Most of us who have enough positive reputation to give negative reputation appreciate what it took to earn the positive reputation and don't abuse the system. That doesn't mean there aren't a few bad eggs, or otherwise good people who just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. But their impact is minimal.

Cordovan
01-24-2011, 03:02 PM
We already have a thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=296376) in the Suggestions forum on this subject, please use that thread to discuss your suggestions about the reputation system.

In regards to negative reputation in particular: please report reputation abuse using the "report post" button on the post where you feel it occurred. Sending rep reports through other methods delays the community team's ability to review the reputation.