View Full Version : The Official GenCon 2011 page

speedyjr
01-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Badges went on sale yesterday.

Housing starts tomorrow.

Who's in???

geoffhanna
01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
The Halfling Commandos are planning to invade in force.

Shaamis
01-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Shaamis is planning to be there, I'm thinking about getting a hotel within stumbling distance from the bar, so I dont have to worry about driving

Shamurai
01-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm torn between Origins which I live an hour away from.. or Gen Con which is waaay better. I used to work for Out of the Box Publishing so just looove the CON's.. but trying to figure out the best option.. I'm actually considering making my Plat farmers (my 16 and 14 year old kids - JK) "VOLUNTEER" to work for GAMA.. to get free badges for them.. and to pay half of my hotel room...

Now if I can score some Spiral skinned vestments to dress up in... and a platinum blonde wig, perhaps DDO would sponsor my TOON Lookalike...if so, I'm IN! LOL.

EDIT - Holy Bleep Shaamis is in NE Ohio, just like me.. I'll bet I've passed you at a CON or two...

cdbd3rd
01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Shaamis is planning to be there, I'm thinking about getting a hotel within stumbling distance from the bar, so I dont have to worry about driving

So you ARE showing this year. http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/cdbd3rd/cdemotes/evilgrin.gif ....edit: Whaddya mean "IMG code is Off"!?!? BAH!! :mad:

Horc vs. Dorf... Bring your big boy tankard. :p

*remembers topic*
Erm, yeah. I'll be in town. ;)

speedyjr
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I took the big plunge and went VIG this year. I am not sure if turbine is attending this year (wouldn't count on it) and with Jerry now over on the dark side, I will take the lead of organizing our annual Jillians get together.

If any one has suggestions please let me know.

Also I would like to do a couple of ddo True Dungeion runs.

Can't wait for August.

geoffhanna
01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Are we going to do True Dungeon again ?

That was a lot of fun! Even if also a lot of frustration!

Funstration?

cdbd3rd
01-25-2011, 12:08 PM
I took the big plunge and went VIG this year. I am not sure if turbine is attending this year (wouldn't count on it) and with Jerry now over on the dark side, I will take the lead of organizing our annual Jillians get together.

If any one has suggestions please let me know.

Also I would like to do a couple of ddo True Dungeion runs.

Can't wait for August.

Kinda like the Friday evening Jillian's get-together, even if Turbine does an event of some sort that doesn't conflict with it. Now with extra insiders, we should be able to get some intel on Turbine's planned presence or not...

Am in for a TD run or three, just don't have enough funds left to grab a whole block of tix.

speedyjr
01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
I also like how we get together as a group at Jillians.

I am thinking of doing a werewolf session in the bar with our ddo comrades. Those who made the ddocast session on saturday night can speak to how much fun we had.

Plus I think we need to come up with some "unlimited" cocktails to spice things up a bit.

Perhaps I should bring down some clamato juice and introduce you all to the mighty Caeser!!!

cdbd3rd
01-29-2011, 09:18 AM
I also like how we get together as a group at Jillians.

I am thinking of doing a werewolf session in the bar with our ddo comrades. Those who made the ddocast session on saturday night can speak to how much fun we had.

Plus I think we need to come up with some "unlimited" cocktails to spice things up a bit.

Perhaps I should bring down some clamato juice and introduce you all to the mighty Caeser!!!

Horc werewolf? Hmmm... Wish I'd thought of that back in my DMing days. ;)

Hairy Green Monster, that evil contrivance from last year. That was pretty 'unlimited'.
Fewer distractions around the house this year, maybe I will remember to print our drinks thread AND remember to actually bring it along this year.

enigma1122
02-03-2011, 01:44 AM
Horc werewolf? Hmmm... Wish I'd thought of that back in my DMing days. ;)

Hairy Green Monster, that evil contrivance from last year.

Is that what those drinks were? All I know was it was sugary, and pitchers of it kept showing up at my table.

Any way, GenCon 2011 is now closer that GenCon 2010. (Feb 2 was the half way mark between them.)

enigma1122
04-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Hmm, was hoping with event registration being tomorrow it would be confirmed, or mentioned if Turbine was planning on coming out again to GenCon. Was hoping they would seeing that they were such a presence at PAX. Any way, holding my Friday evening open for meeting up.

cdbd3rd
05-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Hmm, was hoping with event registration being tomorrow it would be confirmed, or mentioned if Turbine was planning on coming out again to GenCon. Was hoping they would seeing that they were such a presence at PAX. Any way, holding my Friday evening open for meeting up.

Friday is a go no matter if Turbine officially shows up or not.
Power to the Players!!!

Reg goes live in 15 min....

geoffhanna
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Registration is live and then some.

Shut out of Car Wars - again! - but otherwise got everything I wanted :)

enigma1122
05-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Managed to keep my Friday Night / Saturday Morning free.

Rheebus
07-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Sounds like the majority of the DDOCast will be saving their coppers this year and staying home. I will try to make it to Jillian's on Friday, but I have a Warhammer Fantasy Skirmish from 7-??. It might be 11:30 before I get there. See Ya in Stormreach...I mean Jillians!

cdbd3rd
07-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Sounds like the majority of the DDOCast will be saving their coppers this year and staying home. ...

Noticed the Gen-Con threads have been awfully quiet even tho we're down to within a month of gate time.

Who all did I miss humbugging out and playing hookie this year?

edit... :( Am finding em...

Shaamis
07-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Shaamis is volunteering to run RPGA Delve this year, so I'll stop by for some carousing and frosty beverages. :P and I can stumble back to my hotel room too!

It's a win-drink-win situation

geoffhanna
07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
gencon! yay! just around the corner!

Jillians! Friday! Anyone else?

Deanarth
07-23-2011, 08:15 AM
I'll be attending this year (started going in 2001, only missed one year since).

Tolero
07-27-2011, 09:53 PM
So if I bring some treats to share at the Jillians get together they'll be able to find good homes right?

DoctorWhofan
07-27-2011, 10:01 PM
They need to have a convention in Hawai'i.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Kawai'icon doesn't count...unless they have lots of Hitsugaya stuff!

TEcarson
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
They need to have a convention in Hawai'i.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Kawai'icon doesn't count...unless they have lots of Hitsugaya stuff!

And they could have it the first week in January when my wife and I are there???

We can haz free stuff???

speedyjr
07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
So if I bring some treats to share at the Jillians get together they'll be able to find good homes right?

Can't confirm they will be good homes, but homes none the less. :D

Tolero
07-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Can't confirm they will be good homes, but homes none the less. :D

Fair enough :D

Only trick is I have a True Dungeon run at like 8 on Friday (only time frame we could snag =/) so we may be fairly late stopping by. Hopefully I can catch folks before they're too partied out.

cdbd3rd
07-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Fair enough :D

Only trick is I have a True Dungeon run at like 8 on Friday (only time frame we could snag =/) so we may be fairly late stopping by. Hopefully I can catch folks before they're too partied out.

Don't suppose a lot of ya remember - we closed the place down last year. ;)

T, just your presence is treat enough, the rest will be gravy. :p (I earnz me brownie pointz any way I canz.) ;)

:cool:

Cordovan
07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Don't suppose a lot of ya remember - we closed the place down last year. ;)

T, just your presence is treat enough, the rest will be gravy. :p (I earnz me brownie pointz any way I canz.) ;)

...then a group of us went to do the Tower of Gygax! (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27790941/GenCon_2011:_Tower_of_Gygax_is_Back!_4th_Year_of_1 st_edition_goodness!) :) Good times...

DoctorWhofan
07-28-2011, 12:48 PM
And they could have it the first week in January when my wife and I are there???

We can haz free stuff???

Well then Aloha! No Kawai'icon is last weekend of April. But if they had a gaming convention here, I'll take January, though being so close to the holidays would make it a bit tight, moneywise.

cdbd3rd
07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
...then a group of us went to do the Tower of Gygax! (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27790941/GenCon_2011:_Tower_of_Gygax_is_Back!_4th_Year_of_1 st_edition_goodness!) :) Good times...

Well, *most* of you did.... :o

:rolleyes:

TReebel
07-28-2011, 07:44 PM
depending on what is happening I may try to make it Jillians for the get together this year missed the last couple due to other commitments.

geoffhanna
08-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Gencon! Day after tomorrow!

:)

zensailor
08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
I kept my Friday night open just for the Jillian's get together. Was loads of fun last year, hope I can stay longer this time.

/Hobbins

cdbd3rd
08-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I have the drink list printed off this time.

;)

2 hours to road time for me. I should be asleep right now. :o

Cy'all Friday, if not sooner.

Jillian's. Friday nght. 7 PM (give or take) til Close (give or take). Upstairs...

Psyk0sisS
08-03-2011, 09:28 PM
-So what time is everyone meeting?
-Tolero probably around 10, but the rest around 8?
-2nd Floor bar as usual?

Lemme know please, got 2 guildies in town ( I live in Indy) and would love for the 3 of us to meet there as well.

Thanks!

Feralthyrtiaq
08-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Am going with my GF and a couple friends Sunday. Was hoping to get some tasty Update 11 Tidbits but I get the feeling DDO/Turbine will not have representatives with booth at the Con? Can anyone confirm this?

enigma1122
08-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Checking in from a magic trap in True Dungeon. Heading to dinner then Jillians.

Psyk0sisS
08-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Here at Jillians, no sign of anyone DDO related.. :( Gonna have some more drinks to see if anyone shows! As my friend keeps saying... "Lookin for group, lookin for group"

zensailor
08-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Yaaaay Tolero Ariveth

Stormanne
08-05-2011, 10:40 PM
wow, kinda glad I didn't make the three hour drive this year...

Shaamis
08-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Here at Jillians, no sign of anyone DDO related.. :( Gonna have some more drinks to see if anyone shows! As my friend keeps saying... "Lookin for group, lookin for group"

I rolled in around 1030, because we were low on judges at the delve and I pulled a 14 hour shift before breaking to Jillians.

I had a TON of fun though when I got there, and SO glad i came. :D

I was dissappointed no one was willing to take my challenge though.........

Shaamis
08-07-2011, 10:03 PM
wow, kinda glad I didn't make the three hour drive this year...

Dont be so sure.......

Pictures/blackmail and proof to follow shortly.

Shaamis
08-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Yaaaay Tolero Ariveth

I was SO glad to see you and your girlfriend Carl! You made the event a lot better and we had a great time!

Shaamis
08-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Am going with my GF and a couple friends Sunday. Was hoping to get some tasty Update 11 Tidbits but I get the feeling DDO/Turbine will not have representatives with booth at the Con? Can anyone confirm this?

There was a visitor to the DDO party, and she did drop some tidbits, but I was not able to defeat her DC for intimidation or diplomacy (Shaamis has a 6 Charisma) but we still had TONS of fun!

Shaamis
08-07-2011, 10:11 PM
I have the drink list printed off this time.

;)

2 hours to road time for me. I should be asleep right now. :o

Cy'all Friday, if not sooner.

Jillian's. Friday nght. 7 PM (give or take) til Close (give or take). Upstairs...

You were AWESOME Bro! glad you made it and it was just as fun, if not more fun than last year! :D

enigma1122
08-08-2011, 01:33 PM

What was your challenge?

Pictures will be up in a day or two. Been away from DDO for five days... gonna be hard to resist going there.

Jaggie
08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Jaggies want to see photos. Curious to see all the ladies that swarmed the Nklso and his bunny hat. *giggles*

cdbd3rd
08-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Jaggies want to see photos. Curious to see all the ladies that swarmed the Nklso and his bunny hat. *giggles*

He actually behaved.

Unlike that Shaamis character. ;)

Missed ya there, Jags.

cdbd3rd
08-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Dont be so sure.......

Pictures/blackmail and proof to follow shortly.

She did mention not wanting to be all over the internet, so will have to edit that pic before sharing. ;)

*hehheh* :p

Jaggie
08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
He actually behaved.

Unlike that Shaamis character. ;)

Missed ya there, Jags.

Nklos??? Behaving? What? Geez, I taught you better then this, Newt. I knew I should have gotten to gen-con this year.

*Hugs to Cd*

I'll be there next year. Warforged suit and all. :D

geoffhanna
08-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I rolled in around 1030, because we were low on judges at the delve and I pulled a 14 hour shift before breaking to Jillians.

There was a challenge? It couldn't have had anything to do with CD's evil drink list. I met all of those challenges.

Well except the Jack Daniel's challenges. Jack and I are old enemies. He defeats me every time :)

cdbd3rd
08-08-2011, 09:06 PM
There was a challenge? It couldn't have had anything to do with CD's evil drink list. I met all of those challenges.

Well except the Jack Daniel's challenges. Jack and I are old enemies. He defeats me every time :)

Same here, so there were only a couple of those and I think we dodged em successfully. ;)

Geoff, my shots of the costume parade were sparse. Hope you got better.

The shots I got are mixed in here with the rest of my Con shots, including the ones I got from the party (tho blurry - imagine that. ;) )

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/cdbd3rd/gen%20con%202011/

cdbd3rd
08-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Nklos??? Behaving? What? Geez, I taught you better then this, Newt. I knew I should have gotten to gen-con this year.

*Hugs to Cd*

I'll be there next year. Warforged suit and all. :D

Looking forward to it. :)

cdbd3rd
08-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Aye, things got rolling a little later than anticipated, but once they did twas a great night. :) Just means that CD got started ahead of everyone else. ;)

Imagine Shaamis trying to show up and say he couldn't drink this time. Heh. Fixed that, hunh? ;)

Looked thru the hall for ya Sat morning, Shaamis, but a dorf in a crowd is not an easy hunt. :o

cdbd3rd
08-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Dropping in a couple tidbits from the newsletter I just got.
Notice the date for next year is a couple weeks deeper into August.

And record numbers of attendees is a surprise. It didn't seem that crowded in the halls at most times, plus a lot of vendors were mentioning they were lower on sales than usual (probably an economy issue, there.) Guess that expanded space dedicated for the 'Con is working out for them.

Few of you guys with pix ya ain't shared yet... ;)

... For those of you who couldn’t join us, be sure to put August 16-19, 2012 on your calendar and come help us celebrate Gen Con’s 45th anniversary!

Attendance Numbers for 2011
We crushed our record from 2010 with over 36,000 unique attendees at Gen Con this year!

Psyk0sisS
08-22-2011, 05:01 PM
*snip*
Imagine Shaamis trying to show up and say he couldn't drink this time. Heh. Fixed that, hunh? ;)

LOL I remember hearing him say that, I dont think it was 5 min later he had a drink in his belly :p hahaha

Rojen
10-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Was reading on the Gencon 2012 forums that Jillian's will be closing. Looks like there needs to be a new place for next year.

cdbd3rd
10-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Was reading on the Gencon 2012 forums that Jillian's will be closing. Looks like there needs to be a new place for next year.

:eek:

No way, they can't do that!

...can they? :o

*scrambles to investigate*

Nothing on their site about it....

*emails promotions/information manager*

I'll get to the bottom of this. :cool:

Rojen
10-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111021/LOCAL1805/110210365/

Seems they are auctioning off the stuff.

Wonder if we an pool our scales?

cdbd3rd
10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111021/LOCAL1805/110210365/

Seems they are auctioning off the stuff.

Wonder if we an pool our scales?

Aw, man... :(

Auction's tomorrow and I already allocated my vacation days this year.

Thnx for the link R. All I'd gotten back was an auto-response. Guess I know why now. :(

Samiusbot
11-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Why didn't they have Gencon send out an email with a fund raiser. I would have kicked them 20-30 bucks if it would have helped keep the doors open.

Cordovan
11-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Bummer about Jillians! Good memories from there, for sure...

cdbd3rd
11-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Why didn't they have Gencon send out an email with a fund raiser. I would have kicked them 20-30 bucks if it would have helped keep the doors open.

They prolly didn't think about it. Plus, it would've set a slippery precedent where every business downtown would try to jump on the charity wagon.

Samiusbot
11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Still, i would have tried anything.

cdbd3rd
11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Still, i would have tried anything.

Same.

Gonna be hard to find a replacement where we could pretty much confiscate one of their bartenders. ;)