PDA

View Full Version : Stop the game crash

IanYang
01-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Entering wildernesses causes game crash. Leaving wildernesses causes game crash. Entering bank causes game crash. Boarding guild ship causes game crash.

It is enough. Please try to make the game as stable as U7 which didn't let us have this problem.

Nerate_Mireth
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
What crash? Haven't had one yet with the last update. As a matter of fact, haven't had one since before the time they went from "Modules" to "Updates". Sounds like possibly a memory/cpu problem. Could also be video(but highly doubt it). Got programs running in the background you don't know about? Overheating maybe? Lots of things could be causing the problem.

And sounds like this thread belongs elsewhere and not in the Suggestions area.

werk
01-23-2011, 10:26 AM
I do not now, nor have ever suffered these crashes. Old computer, new computer, or netbook.

My suggestion would be to reset your graphic settings, which, in my experience, get tweaked around on updates.

ushram
01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
I have the same problem. Every time i enter GH, orchard, marketplace and a couple other places i will crash. I reinstalled the game, still happens all the time.

foose07
01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I was using Windows XP and things were fine before Update 7.
After U7, it seems I was getting crash error here and there, its bearable to me at least.
Then I switched to Windows 7 on the day Update 8 was out, since then my DDO client crashed too many times and just frustrates the hell out of me.

I'm having the same problems, crashes when entering market from the Harbor, getting on/off the airship, zone-ing into Orchard of Macabre, Ruins of the Gianthold, and Meridia thru main gate.

stille_nacht
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
my suggestion- get a better internet connection/ computer.

If the crashes are not game wide/ server wide, that means your mostly likely problem is that your computer/connection simply cannot handle the data flow that happens when you switch to a wilderness instance, as they are bulkier data-wise than dungeon instances.

I had one or two crashes entering the Orchard, but upgrading my computer changed that :]

flynnjsw
01-23-2011, 10:57 AM
They are YOUR crahses, not GAME crashes.

DToNE
01-23-2011, 11:08 AM
There's only one VERY well known crash zone and that is entering the explorer area in Sands. If you're crashing elsewhere, it can be any of the following issues:

Registry Error
Graphics Card Error
Hard Drive Error
RAM Error
Sound Card Error
VRAM Error
Malware/Trojan
DLL Error
Rootkit Errors
Kernel Errors
GPU Error

Take care of your computer hardware and it takes will take care of your computer software..

ushram
01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
connection is fine, pc is fine, its the game. Many people have complained of crashes since the update.

werk
01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
They are YOUR crahses, not GAME crashes.

^this.

If you are experiencing crashes, update your drivers and lower your settings.

kernal42
01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Entering wildernesses causes game crash. Leaving wildernesses causes game crash. Entering bank causes game crash. Boarding guild ship causes game crash.

It is enough. Please try to make the game as stable as U7 which didn't let us have this problem.

This is a crash caused by your system, not a bug in the DDO client.
So: You fix it.

-Kernal

samthedagger
01-23-2011, 11:50 AM
It sounds to me like the OP is experiencing a memory problem. To explain what is going on, every time the character enters a wilderness instance the game pulls texture and drawing data from the hard drive and stores it RAM. A similar thing happens when the bank is opened; the computer pulls item display data from the hard drive and stores it on RAM. Therefore something is likely going on in one of these two steps. Either pulling from the hard drive or storing in RAM is probably the issue.

It might be because both the bank and a wilderness zone require a very large amount of data. It might be because your memory is somehow corrupted. Hard to say exactly, but I am 99% certain the issue is client side. This thread is the first I have heard of it and I log into DDO everyday. None of my friends or guildies have complained. My recommendation to the OP is to update drivers, defragment the hard drive, and run some diagnostics on memory.

Mastese
01-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I myself have encountered the full spectrum of minor to moderate to frequent crashing. It seems that while some people don't encounter crashes at all, this doesn't dismiss them from being a real problem for a significant amount of people.

I actually find it humerous (if not anoying) that most individuals who are fortunate enough to not have any issues typically can't accept that there may be a ddo software issue causing the problem for others. This is a common enough problem that can't be isolated to any single hardware (AMD, INTEL, NVIDIA, ATI, VIA, etc) or OS (XP, VISTA, WINDOWS 7) configuration. Nor can it be associated with any specific hardware driver or driver version.

I, like so many others with this problem, have spent a great deal of time and explored numerous fixes and troubleshooting methodologies including clean OS, client and driver installs, swapping or disabling of hardware, tweaking of BIOS and Registry settings with only minor, but not lasting improvements. Additionally, like the rest, I have no issues with any other software, be that graphically intensive game or otherwise, similar to the ongoing crashes with DDO.

All things considered, I have to come to the conclusion that this is a very real issue and the root cause must be associated with the DDO Client itself. My only hope is that the developers take these occurances seriously enough to some day actualy attempt to address, isolate and patch the issue....if not at least acknowledge it.

I could be wrong. Maybe there is an obscure setting somewhere with something conflicting with the client and causing the problem. But until I see a widely accepted solution that is effective for the majority of individuals, I can't believe this is the case.

-Mastese

TheDearLeader
01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
First of all, asking for a computer program that never crashes? Good luck with that one.

Secondly, as echoed here, game crashes are 99% of the time client-side issues. Either your video card drivers are messed up, your registry's not happy, your DDO .dat files are too fragmented, you've got "da virus"... whatever.

Scan - Update - Clean - Defrag - Reinstall.

Mastese
01-23-2011, 01:14 PM
First of all, asking for a computer program that never crashes? Good luck with that one.

Secondly, as echoed here, game crashes are 99% of the time client-side issues. Either your video card drivers are messed up, your registry's not happy, your DDO .dat files are too fragmented, you've got "da virus"... whatever.

Scan - Update - Clean - Defrag - Reinstall.

While I appreciate your dogged, passionate defense of DDO Client Software, I don't believe that I ever asked or even insinuated that I expected a flawless example of perfectly stablized software that never, ever fails under any circumstance. I respect, but question, your apparent authority on this issue and consequently your dismissal that this could, in fact, be a real issue. Further, insinuating that I, or others, might be ultimately be too naïve to consider alternative causes for a very common occurance is an all too ordinary tone taken by members of this forum.

I have scanned, updated, cleaned, defraged, reinstalled, upgraded, reconfigured, reformated, tweaked, analyzed, and ultimately accepted that there is most likely a deeper problem causing the numerous reports of client crashes. It may be correlated to a conflict with other software or a hardware device but the originating issue, for me, is clearly rooted in the client software. Like you, I feel I am more than qualified to state this as slightly more than just a personal opinion.

-Mastese

TheDearLeader
01-23-2011, 01:35 PM
*snip*

I have scanned, updated, cleaned, defraged, reinstalled, upgraded, reconfigured, reformated, tweaked, analyzed,

*snip*

-Mastese

Well lets try one more thought to the matter.

I can't remember off the top of my head where its been posted, but there was mention that the DDO .dat files don't like to play nice when they're on the same physical drive as your pagefile. Have you tried moving DDO to its own separate drive?

Turtlsdown
01-23-2011, 02:00 PM
If I log on and stay on one toon for even hours on end I rarely if ever get any kind of crash (usually the crash will be because of another program running in the background, or I'm alt-tabbing to the desktop too much and opening too many tabs in the browser so the computer probably runs out of memory).

However, if I get on a toon, then logout and still in-game select another toon to do some banking, then maybe switch again, etc.. I'm almost guaranteed to crash sooner than later. I've come to see this as some kind of memory leak in the client so that the more toon switches I make, the quicker it is likely to run out of memory when I switch zones somewhere and crash the client completely. Only happenes eventually on a zone change, or when entering a dungeon.

It might be the client, it might be how my windows7 rig is setup or something but it seems it's running out of memory and crashing the client rather than letting windows crash completely. If I get on my hagglebard for some banking/selling and then want to use my main (cleric) to heal a raid, I just /quit and then logon again to get on the cleric so I'm guaranteed no crashes for that entire raid.

Mastese
01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Well lets try one more thought to the matter.

I can't remember off the top of my head where its been posted, but there was mention that the DDO .dat files don't like to play nice when they're on the same physical drive as your pagefile. Have you tried moving DDO to its own separate drive?

I do appreciate the idea TheDearLeader, but I did actually clean install DDO on it's own new drive just recently and also moved Virtual Memory to it's own as well. Alas, to no avail. I would love to stumble upon that "Aha!" moment that would address this issue for more than just one player, but have yet to see or discover it on my own.

Regardless, whether it be on the client side, server side, DDO software related or not, I hope at some point we figure it out. For now, we're probably taking this tread in the direction of needing to be moved to the Tech Support section, so we should probably not delve too much deeper into the probable causes in these posts.

Thanks,

-Mastese

IanYang
01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for so many suggestions that I should fix my computer. However this problem happend to me in U5, U6 and U8 but not in U7. If it is my computer's issue, why it doesn't happen in U7?

TheDearLeader
01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks for so many suggestions that I should fix my computer. However this problem happend to me in U5, U6 and U8 but not in U7. If it is my computer's issue, why it doesn't happen in U7?

Because....

Follow me here.

Over time...

Graphic Cards get new drivers.

Direct X Updates.

Windoze Updates.

You download lots of fancy things, and travel to many websites such as the forums, and they put all sorts of new temporary files and cookies on your computer.

And when a new DDO Update hits, there's probably been thousands of micro-changes made to your files, your registries, since the last update. And every now and then, something goes pear-shaped.

Sometimes, your newly-downloaded game patch files may be corrupt. Or, in Updating the game, the DDO .dat files become fragmented, as has been described. Whatever.

Stuff happens. So, follow some of the advice given here. It'll help more than complaining that Update 8/dingoes ate your baby.

UltraMonk2
01-23-2011, 09:00 PM
I myself have encountered the full spectrum of minor to moderate to frequent crashing. It seems that while some people don't encounter crashes at all, this doesn't dismiss them from being a real problem for a significant amount of people.

I actually find it humerous (if not anoying) that most individuals who are fortunate enough to not have any issues typically can't accept that there may be a ddo software issue causing the problem for others. This is a common enough problem that can't be isolated to any single hardware (AMD, INTEL, NVIDIA, ATI, VIA, etc) or OS (XP, VISTA, WINDOWS 7) configuration. Nor can it be associated with any specific hardware driver or driver version.

I work as an IT Consultant, have been for 20 years. The problem with diagnosing an actual problem with the ddo client software is that the machines having the crashes must be investigated first. It is human nature for people to automatically to blame something other than their own computer.

As an example I ran a test when I was doing work for an ISP, we scheduled some downtime for some upgrades to the network. We did the actual upgrade 2 days before the scheduled downtime, on the actual scheduled day we got heaps of calls detailing all sorts of weird and wonderful problems that they only just started experiencing on the scheduled day. We also did another test, where we scheduled an upgrade but actually didn't do one. Yes we got heaps of phone calls that day as well accusing us that our upgrades caused all sorts of issues and yet we actually hadn't done one.

So a persons computer and internet connection needs to be checked first.

learst
01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Been playing since early last year. Running on Windows Vista on a laptop, 3 Gb RAM and Nvidia 8400.

Have never had any crashes when changing zones (maybe once, but I don't think so). Have experienced crashes few times, due to an internet connection problem.

I sympathise with folks who experience crashes though. I think it was Tolero who said that when you do a bug report, to include as much necessary details so the QA team can reproduce it and figure out what went wrong. Now for this crashes (which isn't game-wide but only some people), it's hard to reproduce it as only some had it and some don't, yet likely most of them are running under the same configurations.

And it might not even be a bug. It could be a memory leak issue or some other stuff.

Anyway, good luck and hope you find a solution.

lethargos
01-23-2011, 09:33 PM
U8 made my client a frequent crasher. Client just crashes and gives not responding message and shuts down. Doesnt require specific conditions and is quite random event.

Mastese
01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I work as an IT Consultant, have been for 20 years. The problem with diagnosing an actual problem with the ddo client software is that the machines having the crashes must be investigated first. It is human nature for people to automatically to blame something other than their own computer.

As an example I ran a test when I was doing work for an ISP, we scheduled some downtime for some upgrades to the network. We did the actual upgrade 2 days before the scheduled downtime, on the actual scheduled day we got heaps of calls detailing all sorts of weird and wonderful problems that they only just started experiencing on the scheduled day. We also did another test, where we scheduled an upgrade but actually didn't do one. Yes we got heaps of phone calls that day as well accusing us that our upgrades caused all sorts of issues and yet we actually hadn't done one.

I agree UltraMonk2. Though I'm not an IT consulant, I've been pulling apart and studying computers since the days of the TI994A (and can't forget the Timex Sinclare 1000). Regardless, I've reproduced the results on 2 completely diffent builds and OS's, so it's hard for me to confidently say that it's isolated to my PC.

Still, I have to consider that it's entirely possible that it is as simple as the consistency of my internet connection. I'll have to dig deeper into that, though I'm not sure how to benchmark it against being a direct cause to the DDO crashes.

-Mastese

Myrdinn
01-23-2011, 11:00 PM
When you say it crashes, can you tell us how exactly?

Is it a loading screen that never end?
Are you playing in full screen or windowed?

IanYang
01-23-2011, 11:39 PM
When you say it crashes, can you tell us how exactly?

Is it a loading screen that never end?
Are you playing in full screen or windowed?
There is an alert box says that DDO client has no responce and then the game window close.

Windowd mode.

azrael4h
01-24-2011, 12:35 AM

That's kind of amusing. I can believe that happening though, nothing done and people automatically blame the non-existent maint/upgrade.

You can find software that never crashes. It was, however, released on the Commodore 64. :P

I have a guildy who has occasional lockups, mostly GH and Desert related. No where else. That is about all I have as far as the issue of "commonly occurring crashes". From her description of the crash, it's definitely video card related.

A couple of thoughts:

Repeated swapping of characters seems to cause some issues with some people. If I keep doing it for awhile, it can even cause my system to stutter, though that takes jumping around a few dozen times. I've been meaning to test this and see what I can find. However, that may be causing an issue, if you're logging in and out on several alts doing inventory cleanup prior to playing.

Stating it must be a DDO coding issue is kinda off, considering the vast majority of people don't crash at all. What all of you people who do crash regularly need to do is post your system specs, and see if there's not a common thread. Maybe a specific video chipset or drivers has an error somewhere? Maybe you got a defective vid chip (which I believe nVidia had some issues with not too long ago). Maybe you've just got the Vista virus.

A detailed list can give people (including the devs) something to look through and get an idea of whats the same. After all, there's 3 main OS's with an untold number of hardware configurations that can be causing the issue, and some people even run DDO under WINE instead, and thus have a few dozen Linux distros which may be the issue (they could be running openSUSE, which is almost as bad as Vista) or even OSX.

Finally, look at what else is running while DDO is up. I have to turn off Roxio's media center (the latest version is a buggy, feature-poor mess, and a scam compared to the old versions) because it's constantly causing issues while playing. Other programs may have worse effects, even if the software itself is not really an issue otherwise, or has conflicts with other games. As a gamer, you may have the DRM viruses known as Starforce or Securom infecting your system, which will be a source of issues as well. There are other DRM viruses out there, but that turns this post into even more of a book.

Kasbark
01-24-2011, 02:42 AM
I've had this excact problem - the client crashes pretty much every time to change zone.

My problem was caused by package loss between my network and the ddo servers (and only between them, no problems with any other online games/webpages). The solution was quite simple: Resetting my router solved the problem.

Sure it's quite a bit of work to set all your router settings up again, but it worked for me.

SirAggravator
01-24-2011, 03:03 AM
There are many threads which discuss the zone in crashing and some appear to be client issues
(although potentially could be caused by the game client).
Here are just 2 of them
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=292536
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3416989

For my specific case the crashes were caused in a memory leak related to the video driver.
You can see how much memory dndclient uses in task manager- it creeps up each time you log a different alt or zone into a new map.
For me after about 5-6 maps it would crash to Desktop.
This only started happening about a year ago after update 5 (and I hadn't updated my gfx driver at all).

One thing that worked for me was to disable DX10 and use DX9 (nvidia 8600 on vista) since then no crashing but of course at the price of no dx10 effects.

shadowhop
01-24-2011, 03:07 AM
I often create parties for the reaver and since the update a lot of people DC when they try to enter gainthold.

Ofcourse people have to look at their own systems first, but if it suddenly happens at a lot of people then turbine also has to look at what they changed in that update.

I also work in the IT and you look at the client side first, but when a lot of clients have the same problem thats the moment you are also going to look at your own software. And it is perfectly possible that it happens with just a group of computers because a lot of changes are for specific videocards, systems, memory, etc.

IanYang
01-25-2011, 02:56 AM
Okay, I had tried updating video card driver, cleanning registry, and defragging drives. But the issue remains. Now I firmly believe it is the problem of U8. (U7 has no such issue)

With regard to people who never have this issue, I guess it is because you have very high class computers which can tolerance this issue, which should not exist at all.

Smitey
01-25-2011, 04:50 AM
Hi IanYang,

With crashes that frequently, I would uninstall DDO, delete the userpreferences.ini file from 'mydocuments\dungeons and dragons online' folder and re-install the game using a fresh download (http://www.ddo.com/ddosupport/download-ddo)

If you still have issues after this procedure, please post a dxdiag (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=199719)in the Technical assistance section of the forum:
http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Along with a copy of the end section of the ddoclient.log file.

Lord_WC
01-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Under 32 bit xp the client runs just fine. Under 64 bit w7 well, erm, not really.

Under w7 the client starts to behave as a neglected wife, changing toons, swapping weapon sets around causes a memory leak. Yup, I checked it, it fills up the memory with pure junk. While filling 12 gigs with stuff takes a while after 6-8 hours of gaming it crashes.

Suuuure, you can say it's my computer's problem, but I'm more in the oppinion that a client should not have memory leak. Not so sure if it gets fixed anytime soon tho, I learned to live with it, you just have to restart your client after 3-4 hours and all is fine. And honestly it's not the worst I've seen, but saying it's user side problem is not covering the whole picture.

Antheia
01-25-2011, 05:56 AM
I wouldn't be so hasty in telling people to blame their system , computer or internet connection and not to blame client.Problem with this specific crash is well known . Personally - i experienced it myself until i
lowered my graphic settings and installed newest graphic drivers. In my case it helped. Please note that i was experiencing this crashes - only when playing DDO - no other games were affected.

AZgreentea
01-25-2011, 06:20 AM
34 posts and not a single one with the DX Diag report. :rolleyes:

Just giving your current hardware specs dosent help the community locate things like driver conflicts that can easily cause crashes.

You also have to remember that DX11 is new to the game. Out of date drivers, old hardware that wasnt built with DX11 in mind, drivers that are up to date but are flawed. All of these things easily cause crashes as well. All of those things can bee seen in a DX Diag report and a Yahoo! search.

I'm sure its no coincidence that U7 is when many people (but not everyone) started reporting problems and U7 had the first DX11 in the game. Dont blame the game when you havent eliminated your system as the issue. Why? Because you cant change the game, you CAN take steps to change your system.

Lorien_the_First_One
01-25-2011, 06:29 AM
This has been happening for at least 2 years. It's pretty much always resolved by updating your video drivers or reinstalling the game. Issues with video or corrupt/disorganized files (one particular database is known for fragmentation issues) seems to be the problem generally.

Lord_WC
01-25-2011, 06:57 AM
34 posts and not a single one with the DX Diag report. :rolleyes:

Just giving your current hardware specs dosent help the community locate things like driver conflicts that can easily cause crashes.

You also have to remember that DX11 is new to the game. Out of date drivers, old hardware that wasnt built with DX11 in mind, drivers that are up to date but are flawed. All of these things easily cause crashes as well. All of those things can bee seen in a DX Diag report and a Yahoo! search.

I'm sure its no coincidence that U7 is when many people (but not everyone) started reporting problems and U7 had the first DX11 in the game. Dont blame the game when you havent eliminated your system as the issue. Why? Because you cant change the game, you CAN take steps to change your system.

While I do agree, the program dumping data in various memory addresses and then never touching them again certanly isn't the systems fault. And bear in mind that ddo engine 'was not made with dx11 in mind' as well, so I wouldn't really rule out the client;)

AZgreentea
01-25-2011, 07:30 AM
While I do agree, the program dumping data in various memory addresses and then never touching them again certanly isn't the systems fault. And bear in mind that ddo engine 'was not made with dx11 in mind' as well, so I wouldn't really rule out the client;)
Thats true. I think the LotRO defrag tool is supposed to help with this kind of crashing, right? It just voids the warranty on the install. :D Of course, you can install again if you screw up your copy of the game.

Still waiting on the DDO version, though the LotRO version worked fine for me.

joueur
01-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Memory leaks (Valgrind/Purify FTW).
How to crash less often, simple fixes:
- Decrease graphic settings
- Reduce texture cache size in the Advanced graphic options (only if you don't load the same instance over and over again)
- Restart the game sometimes
- Get one or two more GB of RAM
- Increase the swap file size

Lord_WC
01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Thats true. I think the LotRO defrag tool is supposed to help with this kind of crashing, right? It just voids the warranty on the install. :D Of course, you can install again if you screw up your copy of the game.

Still waiting on the DDO version, though the LotRO version worked fine for me.

No, I don't think so. It just puts the data in a nice clean order so the hdd reader does not have to run back and forth while reading data. The problem here is more of some error in the code of the client itself and it dumps stuff in the memory under 64 bit 'for later use' then does not use it at all, moreover it does not delete it. Sooner or later the memory gets full with all this random junk, the opsys starts to use the paging file (so it laaaaags really bad) and then it just crashes. Only relog fixes this. Or proper coding in the first place:)

werk
01-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Okay, I had tried updating video card driver, cleanning registry, and defragging drives. But the issue remains. ...

Don't forget audio drivers as well. DirectX is video and audio, lights and sound.

I had to switch from onboard audio to a PCI audio card when my MB mfg stopped updating their audio driver.

Again, every time I've ever had crashes it has been following an update and was resolved by updating my drivers to accommodate new features.
I am sorry if this is not your problem, but it has solved 100% of problems that I, my friends, and my guildies have experienced.

AZgreentea
01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
No, I don't think so. It just puts the data in a nice clean order so the hdd reader does not have to run back and forth while reading data. The problem here is more of some error in the code of the client itself and it dumps stuff in the memory under 64 bit 'for later use' then does not use it at all, moreover it does not delete it. Sooner or later the memory gets full with all this random junk, the opsys starts to use the paging file (so it laaaaags really bad) and then it just crashes. Only relog fixes this. Or proper coding in the first place:)
Oh yes! the crash because of the memory leak. I dont experience that particular crash because I take special care not to switch characters often. I see the lag when I am doing inventory maintenance, and when I am done with that I close the client and restart it before I start playing. I also dont play for more than a few (1-2) hours without taking a break and closing the client. My days of sitting in front of the computer for 4 hours are gone.

joueur
01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Oh yes! the crash because of the memory leak. I dont experience that particular crash because I take special care not to switch characters often. I see the lag when I am doing inventory maintenance, and when I am done with that I close the client and restart it before I start playing. I also dont play for more than a few (1-2) hours without taking a break and closing the client. My days of sitting in front of the computer for 4 hours are gone.

Ok but here's the OP:

And my solution:

Memory leaks (Valgrind/Purify FTW).
How to crash less often, simple fixes:
- Decrease graphic settings
- Reduce texture cache size in the Advanced graphic options (only if you don't load the same instance over and over again)
- Restart the game sometimes
- Get one or two more GB of RAM
- Increase the swap file size

Nerate_Mireth
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
It's pretty hard to write code for EVERY combination of computer hardware/software out there so that it is all compatible. I can pretty much guarantee that the odds of ANY of us having the exact same HW/SW configurations on our computers is astronomical.

Someone in this thread (sorry forgot who) has problems with W7-64bit and DDO. Ever tried doing a dual-boot system with the 32bit and seeing if you have the same issues and if you do, are they happening as frequently? If you don't have the issues or they are less frequent, then there's your problem. I ran 64bit W7 for about 2 months, had issues with DDO and other programs all the time. Spent DAYS on the MS forums and everywhere else that google/yahoo/bing/any other search engine could find. Kept finding the same things suggested....dual boot system into 32bit and "test".

Everyone has the memory-leak issue when swapping toons around. I see it after I've swapped 8 or more toons while banking. I just close out the game, go have a smoke, come back and load up DDO and go....issue solved.

The OP is crashing every zone change. To the OP, without knowing your system configuration it's hard to help you. Several people suggested posting the dxdiag data and other info. This stuff helps US to help YOU figure out what could be the possible problem(s).

moritheil
01-26-2011, 04:39 PM
You can find software that never crashes. It was, however, released on the Commodore 64. :P

Gold.

Regarding the actual issue at hand, I have experienced this but I never thought to make an issue of it. For me, it only happens if I play for a few hours, and it always happens as I move to a wilderness area (which, as previous posters pointed out, would require more memory.) I just assumed DDO had eaten too much memory or it was akin to one of those errors Windows gives out when your computer heats up.

IanYang
01-27-2011, 10:20 PM
With crashes that frequently, I would uninstall DDO, delete the userpreferences.ini file from 'mydocuments\dungeons and dragons online' folder and re-install the game using a fresh download (http://www.ddo.com/ddosupport/download-ddo)
Nice! Thanks for this advise. After uninstalling the old version of DDO (U5 version) and installing the newest version of DDO (U8 version). The issue is gone! So, to me, the problem was the old version, not the computer.

BTW, after I installed the newest version, some graphic settings have been reset. Now when I run Titan raid, I cannot see the lasers which strike the warforged titan while I am on the operation platform. Which graphic setting should be enabled to make the lasers visible?

t0r012
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM

I, like so many others with this problem, have spent a great deal of time and explored numerous fixes and troubleshooting methodologies including clean OS, client and driver installs, swapping or disabling of hardware, tweaking of BIOS and Registry settings with only minor, but not lasting improvements. Additionally, like the rest, I have no issues with any other software, be that graphically intensive game or otherwise, similar to the ongoing crashes with DDO.

All things considered, I have to come to the conclusion that this is a very real issue and the root cause must be associated with the DDO Client itself. My only hope is that the developers take these occurances seriously enough to some day actualy attempt to address, isolate and patch the issue....if not at least acknowledge it.

I could be wrong. Maybe there is an obscure setting somewhere with something conflicting with the client and causing the problem. But until I see a widely accepted solution that is effective for the majority of individuals, I can't believe this is the case.

-Mastese

correlation does not equal causation

Hatteras
01-27-2011, 10:38 PM

same problems here. I even got a few blue screens in the process

Hatteras
01-27-2011, 10:40 PM
correlation does not equal causation

Do you work for Marlboro ;)

Meetch1972
01-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Thoughts:

* Firstly, what could be the problem in many cases - iffy RAM. Diagnose by running a memtest. The dndclient process tends to use a lot of memory after a while - it's possible that a memory corruption is being hit when the client forces the PC to use a memory address that involves a flaky logic gate. Dodgy RAM is a likely suspect, and stress testing it is the only way to be sure (before going to school/work, start up the most heavy duty stress test you can find and you should have an answer by the time you get home). If a problem does show up, and a stick of RAM is fingered, remove it and see what difference that makes. If you cannot tell which one it is, remove half the RAM and test, then remove the other half and test again.

* I was running 32 bit XP, and have since upgraded to 64 bit Win7. Had the occasional crash entering sands around U5 I think - that was on XP. My Win7 upgrade happened around the time of U8. Now the only issue is occasionally the launcher complains at me, then launches the game anyway if I ignore the error.

* And finally, assuming there are no hardware issues, and a fresh system + client, THERE MUST BE A BUG. The big problem is the bug could be in one of the many drivers loaded on the system, the BIOS in some rare cases (I've seen one, for which there was a motherboard firmware update), or the software itself. If you can take the time to verify that the system is fine, and the program crashes, then QED the program isn't smart enough to properly deal with a certain set of circumstances imposed on it, and that IS a bug. I'm certain there are bugs in DDO software, specifically around this character switching issue many people experience, and hopefully there will be a fix. But at least there is a known workaround for that in restarting the client after a few switches.

I wish everyone having issues all the best with resolving their niggling issues. Just remember as well as upgrading drivers and defragging/reinstalling, please try:
* A full memory stress test and
* checking for BIOS updates for your mainboard - look for notes referring to possibly relevant bugs, not feature changes.
OR
* If you're not sure what you're doing and have a few extra bucks, and can trust your local PC shop, pay them to run a full diagnostic on it.

Peace...

Smitey
01-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Nice! Thanks for this advise. After uninstalling the old version of DDO (U5 version) and installing the newest version of DDO (U8 version). The issue is gone! So, to me, the problem was the old version, not the computer.

BTW, after I installed the newest version, some graphic settings have been reset. Now when I run Titan raid, I cannot see the lasers which strike the warforged titan while I am on the operation platform. Which graphic setting should be enabled to make the lasers visible?

Hey OP, glad to hear you have resolved your issue.

If you click the 'detect optimal settings' tickbox in the graphics panel DDO will determine the display settings for you.

It may be that video post processing is currently unticked.

IanYang
01-28-2011, 02:44 AM
Hey OP, glad to hear you have resolved your issue.

If you click the 'detect optimal settings' tickbox in the graphics panel DDO will determine the display settings for you.

It may be that video post processing is currently unticked.
Thank you. I will try it. :)

chester99
01-28-2011, 12:59 PM
There's only one VERY well known crash zone and that is entering the explorer area in Sands. If you're crashing elsewhere, it can be any of the following issues:

Registry Error
Graphics Card Error
Hard Drive Error
RAM Error
Sound Card Error
VRAM Error
Malware/Trojan
DLL Error
Rootkit Errors
Kernel Errors
GPU Error

Take care of your computer hardware and it takes will take care of your computer software..

thanks for your help. I'll get right on debugging my rookit and try to get my non-malware trojans back in order.

asd;lkfj

Tres_Tacos
01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Glad the OP got his issue resolved, I too had the crash on zoning problem for a while and it was endlessly frustrating, but updating my audio driver has since cleared it up.

Schwarzie
01-28-2011, 08:09 PM
It's pretty hard to write code for EVERY combination of computer hardware/software out there so that it is all compatible. I can pretty much guarantee that the odds of ANY of us having the exact same HW/SW configurations on our computers is astronomical.You dont write software for specific Hardware (well at least no consumersoftware). The programm interacts with the APIs offered by the system. Todays OS dont even allow Software to directly interact with the Hardware.