PDA

View Full Version : The Path of Inspiration should be F2P

BladedThesis
01-21-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm a VIP so this doesn't really effect me but as I was looking at the prices on packs in the store it occured to me that if I was premium/free I would be very hard pressed to buy anything from the Inspired Quarter. Each pack is 450 points, so basically if freemium players want say Regalia of the Phoenix they gotta fork 900 points for the items. The xp there is mediocre at best and there is no raid or slayer zone at all. I don't see that as being very much incentive to buy both packs.

SO, make the first part free! It would first give freemium players a little more xp at higher lvls, without giving them a ton and still keeping puchased packs viable for xp. Then as they xp farm it, they'd all end up getting lots of Mindsunder items. Much like they did with Lordsmarch Plaza, you'd have to buy the Dreaming Dark to upgrade your items. The Dreaming Dark is more fun imo and more worth the cash as well. They could charge 550 TP or so instead of 450 and a lot more people would be encouraged to buy it.

Dulcimerist
01-21-2011, 10:43 AM
It would be nice, even just to let the F2P players hang out with Jeets again. :)

I remember the Devil Assault pack being one of the less-attractive packs to buy, but then they added Chronoscope. Perhaps they'll eventually enhance the Inspired Quarter packs in this manner as well?

der_kluge
01-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Unlikely. IQ1 has some of the best loot in the game. Hands down. That's worth the price of admission.

There is one free quest in there, already. In the Demon's Den. No one ever runs it, though.

stoopid_cowboy
01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
/no

That is a very highly farmed chain for many really nice end items. Not to mention the nice end rewards and good XP per quest.
You want a premium quality quest line, you are gonna hafta pay. I am sure this is Turbine's position too.

yuda

BladedThesis
01-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Every single one of those "really nice items" isn't really nice until upgraded in the Dreamforge which people would still have to pay for. Yes those items rock after upgrade but are only ok until upgraded. IQ is mediocre for xp farming, and once the F2P get the un-upgraded items, they'd have to shell out the dough for the Dreaming Dark. As it is only people trying to buy all the content are gonna buy it. There is also a lack of anything for f2p content at that level, they need something and a mediocre xp pack w/ items that give incentive to buy the next one would be good. As I said they could then charge double for the Dreaming Dark and way more people would buy it due to having un-upgraded Mindsunder items.

fuzzy1guy
01-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Actually a good money making idea...

Sure you can get the iq items as f2p.... But you'll be buying the dreaming dark to unlock it! Altho it might not work well with the iq stuff. So much of that is 'meh' to unlock. Not worth the grinding for a marginal or useless upgrade.

Like the new lordsmarch stuff. All the basic **** is f2p. But you cant upgrade none of the stuff without buying the doram pack!

Altho such a business plan is kinda scummy... It does work.

I'd still like to see 3bc as free to play too. It's a real nice looking area that has NO items worth a damm. Perfect.

Gulnar13
01-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Just to point out, everything at 18-19-20 is "mediocre", for xp purposes.

Pape_27
01-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Every single one of those "really nice items" isn't really nice until upgraded

fail.

mystafyi
01-29-2011, 10:55 AM
i am amazed the 2 packs were not combined into 1 p2p pack.... then i remembered turbines cash grabbing ways and realized from this perspective the IQ packs were setup perfectly... IQ= items. (a few decent ones and 40,000 kama's that nobody uses)
DD= upgrades(and not just iq upgrades, but ion stones and dreamspitter)

Saaluta
01-29-2011, 01:44 PM
/signed

Saal :)

Brennie
01-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Every single one of those "really nice items" isn't really nice until upgraded in the Dreamforge

My dwarf Fighter hated his Titans Grip (http://ddowiki.com/page/Gloves_of_Titan%27s_Grip) gloves, until he upgraded them to have repair lore and auto-repair.

And Dream Edge (http://ddowiki.com/page/Gloves_of_Titan%27s_Grip) is just useless without Lesser Vampirism

And Light and Darkness (http://ddowiki.com/page/Light_and_Darkness)? My gawds, without that extra 2 DR and BASHING, its like you shouldn't even bother attacking with it at all!

This is my snarky way of telling you that you're wrong.

To the OP, lemme rephrase your suggestion into the way Turbine will read it: "Hey Turbine, you know that thing you're making money off of? Stop making money off it."

I don't see anything thats currently P2P ever becoming F2P, except possibly the public instances themselves (Which i think is a good idea, because showing people quests they can't do seems like enticement to get purchasing). I believe this if, for no other reason, than people who paid TP for those packs (like myself) might become very dissatisfied customers.

Impaqt
01-29-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm a VIP so this doesn't really effect me but as I was looking at the prices on packs in the store it occured to me that if I was premium/free I would be very hard pressed to buy anything from the Inspired Quarter. Each pack is 450 points, so basically if freemium players want say Regalia of the Phoenix they gotta fork 900 points for the items. The xp there is mediocre at best and there is no raid or slayer zone at all. I don't see that as being very much incentive to buy both packs.

SO, make the first part free! It would first give freemium players a little more xp at higher lvls, without giving them a ton and still keeping puchased packs viable for xp. Then as they xp farm it, they'd all end up getting lots of Mindsunder items. Much like they did with Lordsmarch Plaza, you'd have to buy the Dreaming Dark to upgrade your items. The Dreaming Dark is more fun imo and more worth the cash as well. They could charge 550 TP or so instead of 450 and a lot more people would be encouraged to buy it.

IQ is some of the best XP/Min in the game.

Sarisa
01-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Yes, the quests don't give a lot of experience per completion. That isn't what is important though. IQ, and especially DD (Mining for Ancient Secrets, Raiding the Giant's Vault) all are some of the highest experience per minute quests in the game. In the time it takes you to run one Genesis Point for 15k'ish, you could run 4 to 6 IQ/DD quests and net 20-30k experience for your time.

In addition, the quests have a large number of chests per hour, netting you far more chances at getting +2 tomes and high demand random lootgen items (+5 holy silver's, high end "power 5", GEOB or GCB with other damage modifiers).

Finally, although some of the Mindsunder items are better upgraded than not (Regalia of the Phoenix, Death's Tough, Force Rahl's Might), only the Quorforged Docent is one that upgrading is a huge deal. The rest of the items are perfectly viable left suppressed, and in some cases are better left suppressed so that you can pass them around between alts.

Musouka
01-29-2011, 07:31 PM
/not signed

The pack is well worth the mediocre price that is on it. The items and quests are well thought out, and give a good storyline to build from.