PDA

View Full Version : Turbine needs an SOP to deal w/ hackers

cartersarts
01-12-2011, 10:09 PM
we pay real money for this game. hackers are a part of the internet and computer parts of our life and we know that. but the GMS have no power, it seems when someone's account gets hacked. when we get hacked we cant retrieve our account because hackers have changed the passwords and account info. and we have to wait until acctng finally decides to come into work, heck they only work from like noon to 4. this is absolutely ridiculous. heck i had to dig thru the website to find the links so i could send an email and get an automated response that says 3-5 days till turbine will touch my problem. that is horrible.

Set up a real world set up to deal with this, for the love of my money if not for some semblence of customer care.

AyumiAmakusa
01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
So how was your account compromised in the first place?

AZgreentea
01-12-2011, 10:44 PM
So how was your account compromised in the first place?
I know there was a password phishing scheme a few months go. that was months ago, though. The only other ways I can think of involve poor decisions on the players part.

Turbine seems to have the same SOP for hacking that any other MMO I have ever played has. Contact account support. Seems to take about the same amount of time in every game too. From what I hear, the result is the same: the hacked account is terminated and locked down, preventing use.

Urvine
01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
I hate when people say their accounts were hacked. do you know the definition of hack? if someone were to hack into Turbine's account database i'm sure they could care less about your account at that point. you were almost certainly phished. stop clicking on stuff if you don't know what it is.

AyumiAmakusa
01-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I hate when people say their accounts were hacked. do you know the definition of hack? if someone were to hack into Turbine's account database i'm sure they could care less about your account at that point. you were almost certainly phished. stop clicking on stuff if you don't know what it is.

There's also his two other threads.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=296270
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=296423

P.S. Not all compromised accounts are the fault of the user. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Urvine
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
There's also his two other threads.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=296270
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=296423

P.S. Not all compromised accounts are the fault of the user. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

True, but the type to rant on the forums about poor service tend to also be the type to get phished.

Aussir
01-13-2011, 07:43 AM
we pay real money for this game. hackers are a part of the internet and computer parts of our life and we know that. but the GMS have no power, it seems when someone's account gets hacked. when we get hacked we cant retrieve our account because hackers have changed the passwords and account info. and we have to wait until acctng finally decides to come into work, heck they only work from like noon to 4. this is absolutely ridiculous. heck i had to dig thru the website to find the links so i could send an email and get an automated response that says 3-5 days till turbine will touch my problem. that is horrible.

Set up a real world set up to deal with this, for the love of my money if not for some semblence of customer care.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/alexisdorian/Phishing.jpg

Missing_Minds
01-13-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't know what the OPs complete story is.

However, I know what my wife's story was. Back during the mass banning of Mabar, I got hit. So I was going through account information and everything to try to figure it out.

Esp as I didn't get the automated email till way after the fact.

So my wife started to go through her account. She doesn't fall for those scams, deletes email she doesn't recognize the sender on, keeps anti virus and malware stuff up to date. And her passwords are normally better than mine.

What did she discover? Her account had an email address associated with it that we did NOT know what so ever. She could have lost her account very dam easily due to that and NEVER know.

SOMETHING is/has happened with their database, and I posted as such during that event. At this stage, I tend to change passwords and re verify email addresses any more.

Lorz
01-13-2011, 08:08 AM
hmmmmm 5 years and counting...no issues. how exactly did they get your user name and password?

i doubt they HACKED you or anyone else. They may have phished you ( social engineering) but hack...i doubt a hard hack is what cost you your account. loose passwords, or giving them out, or even worse....spyware/malware or a spoofed site....but no not hacked.

and they do have an SoP....its like most MMOs and takes a few days. keeps people from abusing it im sure....but they do.....your not the first person to give up/out the acct info or the first person the victim of malware/phishing. somehow you feel this is their responsibility when it is pretty much all yours.

Beethoven
01-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Yes, there are two possible theories.

Turbine's database - containing tens of thousands of accounts - and the hacker proceeded to then hand-pick two or three from those. However, this story really only would make sense if for some reasons these accounts were significantly more valuable/useful than the many other thousands.

The other possible theory is some individual users computers got infected by a virus somewhere in the endless reaches of the interwebs. It's really all it takes. There are hackers out there making money simply by selling the data (including passwords and use account logins) they stole. This story makes sense as long as the users computers were not impervious to an attack.

I know there are a lot of people who believe they have internet security, but reality is it is -extremely- difficult to make a machine secure. I used to work for a company whose management had good connections to the bank of Switzerland and by using these connections managed to arrange our servers being physically located in the same basement as the servers of the bank, protected by the same firewall and security systems. We got hacked.

It's why I always have a hard time believing someone who claims its not conceivable they got hacked. The bank of Switzerland isn't. The Pentagon isn't. Your private computer probably isn't either.

Also, you really cannot expect Turbine to handle an issue like that over phone, really - if all it takes is to call their hotline and ask them to please change the login, password and e-mail of an account then they really soon would have a problem with accounts being stolen left and right.

Finally, I sympathize with what happened to the OP and the latter posters wife. It's horrible. You guys have been victim of an (internet) crime. I do understand the need to blame someone for it, but if you think about it: Turbine has tens of thousands of accounts (or millions if their figures can be believed). There has been but a handful reported cases of someone's account hijacked. Concluding from that data their database got stolen; sorry, but that doesn't really make a lot of sense.