PDA

View Full Version : turbine Tuesday announcments

Setin_Myways
01-12-2011, 08:29 AM
I would like to suggest that you change the way you do this announcement. Currently, you post the sale the day before it will occur, and then someone can see for 5 days, the sale they just missed. My suggestion is you post the sale for next Tuesday on Wednesday, instead of Monday, so we can see the sale coming up and prepare for it.

I hope you consider this, as I missed a great sale and would have spent a bunch of points to upgrade my 4th account.

Khimberlhyte
01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
I would like to suggest that you change the way you do this announcement. Currently, you post the sale the day before it will occur, and then someone can see for 5 days, the sale they just missed. My suggestion is you post the sale for next Tuesday on Wednesday, instead of Monday, so we can see the sale coming up and prepare for it.

I hope you consider this, as I missed a great sale and would have spent a bunch of points to upgrade my 4th account.
I would like to suggest that you change the way you check this announcement. Since the sale takes place every Tuesday, everyone has a window of 2 days (>38 hours for the most recent sale) to check the one day sales, and then schedule their purchase of the packs. My suggestion is that you check the sale postings somewhere between Monday morning EST and Tuesday midnight EST. You could even sign up for the twitter feed.

I hope you consider this, as it is fairly rare for someone to not have internet access over those two days, and all it takes is 30 seconds to check from a computer, smartphone, or library terminal.

Setin_Myways
01-12-2011, 11:01 AM
yes, I normally do so and I check the sales in game as well as when I come to the site. Sometimes life happens and I am unable to log in to check for the sale, which is what happened here.

But I would ask, doesn't the relevance of a sales announcement only exist until that sale expires? If you agree with this (which you should because knowing you missed a sale does not contribute to customer satisfaction or help the merchant who would have liked the customer to make a purchase, i.e. why we have sales), then I do not see how you would support a sales announcement that is relevant for only 38 hours rather than the 7 days of relevancy I am suggesting.

So is it better to have a customer who can prepare for a sale for 168 hours or 38?

Cleanincubus
01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I think the problem is more than just the topic at hand. I think the whole DDO sale and promotion site should have more time spent on it. Really all it would need is 1 or 2 people who have skills in website programming and design, and for the Turbine sales team to have open communication with these people. Where this person, or persons, job(s) would be to update the Sales/Promotion page on the main site, update the Sales/Promotion section of the Forums, updating the little sales/promotion notice on the log-in screen, and make posts on the Sales/Promotions Twitter page.

- As the OP stated, sales should be up to date. No one wants to see sales they have missed, nor do they care (unless it's something they really wanted).

- As the OP stated, sales should be announced ahead of time. Not everyone uses Twitter, and it should not be the main source of Sale announcements. The more time that is given, for people to know about an upcoming sale, the more people will participate in the sales. Which in turn, will bring in more $ for Turbine. (I personally went out and purchased a $25 DDO points card last evening, when another player informed me of the sale.)

- Lack of detailed info for Sale items. When stating that some Adventure Packs would be 50% off, the DDO.com site should show exactly which packs are on sale, and how much each specific item is. Saying "Adventure Packs 50% off. Price 175+ TP" is not enough information. Each Sale items should be its own link, with detailed info for each of those items.

DDO is F2P now, so Turbine needs to make money to keep the game going. They could make a lot more money by simply changing their current model. More importantly, they'd also make the players happier, and less aggravated.

Setin_Myways
01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I agree with Clean on his points. Personally, this should all be dynamic and not require any extensive maintenance once the inital code is created to handle the various sales activities. Once the sales department knows the sale that plan to have, they could enter this into a database (I am sure they do this, but likely they have data silos so the information that drives the site is separate from the systems the sales department uses, but at some point, the information needs to be made available to the site and the ddo store -so maybe this is a manual business practice that causes the delay). this could be handled with a web service that allows the new sales to be exposed. this could be handled with a few data elements, like sales date, announcement date, sale duration... the the web service queries the data source and updates the announcement screens based on those 3 fields. Once sales knows of the sale and enters it, the site is ready to go.

TheKeg
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
yes, I normally do so and I check the sales in game as well as when I come to the site. Sometimes life happens and I am unable to log in to check for the sale, which is what happened here.

If you weren't able to log in and see the sales, how would you have been able to log in to buy them? Serious question, not prodding or inciting you with that one.

But I would ask, doesn't the relevance of a sales announcement only exist until that sale expires? If you agree with this (which you should because knowing you missed a sale does not contribute to customer satisfaction or help the merchant who would have liked the customer to make a purchase, i.e. why we have sales), then I do not see how you would support a sales announcement that is relevant for only 38 hours rather than the 7 days of relevancy I am suggesting.

I used to check previous sales to see what the offered when I was considering buying something. If an event was coming up or it had been a while since the item was on sale, I'd wait a little longer to see if it would go on sale. Granted this isn't full proof, as there is not rhyme or reason to sales (events aside) it seems.

So is it better to have a customer who can prepare for a sale for 168 hours or 38?

From the business standpoint, I can see why they'd only post a day or day and a half in advance. People would hold onto their point for more time if they KNEW a sale was coming as opposed to getting that new monk splash awesomness out the door immediately by buying monk at full price.

Cyr
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Agreed OP. Discounts on products only drive sales when people actually see them.

Setin_Myways
01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
If you weren't able to log in and see the sales, how would you have been able to log in to buy them? Serious question, not prodding or inciting you with that one.

I used to check previous sales to see what the offered when I was considering buying something. If an event was coming up or it had been a while since the item was on sale, I'd wait a little longer to see if it would go on sale. Granted this isn't full proof, as there is not rhyme or reason to sales (events aside) it seems.

From the business standpoint, I can see why they'd only post a day or day and a half in advance. People would hold onto their point for more time if they KNEW a sale was coming as opposed to getting that new monk splash awesomness out the door immediately by buying monk at full price.

If i knew this sale was taking place, I would have delegated this to the child in question, which is why i have 4 accounts - i would have told them 'log in and buy x' when i spoke with them about homework and other things. for some reason telling a child to purchase something they want and have been waiting for is much more effective than telling them to login and check to see if it is on sale. go figure.

But you contradict yourself. you say you only check to see when something was last on sale to determine how much longer you would wait or hold on to your points, but knowing what was coming would also encourage to hold on to points... which is it?

I think if they included information on when the next planned sale for a given item would be would be a reason to leave a missed sale up, but I think the randomness of sales has people second guessing themselves and if I want something, I may hold off on purchasing it because I know if I buy it full price, it will go on sale next week. If I knew an item would not go on sale again for 3 months or 3 weeks or a year, I would be better able to decide if I want to wait. There is a Chinese proverb about this very concept - this is not anything new. Missing a sale causes dissatisfaction. Unpredictable price fluctuation causes dissatisfaction.

I really think there are 2 types of purchasers (well 3 with the 3rd falling in between) 1 - purchases what they want when they want, regardless of a sale - sees a sale as a bonus if they get it and does not care if they miss it. 2 - someone that only purchases items on sale, a missed sale event == a missed sale. I fall somewhere in between, but am closer to 2 than 1 - Given i have 4 accounts that I spend points on, I have to be frugal. I have invested a fair amount into the game already, so I try to be as efficient as possible.

Setin_Myways
02-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Where's the beef?

Setin_Myways
02-10-2011, 06:53 AM
and this week, even they missed the sale... They posted to say the sale was not valid.... because they never posted it. I guess this is working just fine though.

Dysmetria
02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
and this week, even they missed the sale... They posted to say the sale was not valid.... because they never posted it. I guess this is working just fine though.The sale certainly seemed valid to me, as I was able to take advantage of it.

Setin_Myways
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM
I did not see it posted on Monday or Tuesday when i looked. When i checked it today, it said this sale no longer valid' which is new.

Perhaps it was posted in the store on game and not on the site?

Cleanincubus
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
I saw it posted on the site, on Monday.

Dysmetria
02-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I did not see it posted on Monday or Tuesday when i looked. When i checked it today, it said this sale no longer valid' which is new.

Perhaps it was posted in the store on game and not on the site?I am not positive but I believe they have said the sale is "no longer valid" after the sale ended on that page before.

Regardless, like the above poster, I saw that page saying Half-Orcs are going to be half off on Monday as well, long before the sale started. You must have been looking at the wrong page.

Hercanic
02-11-2011, 02:29 AM
At one point, they posted two of the planned Tuesday sales in advance. I would like to see that become standard practice.

Shade
02-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Yea i wanted half orcs at 50% off GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

And the first time they stop posting the announcemetn in the forums, is when half orcs go on sale. So I missed it.

BAH.

Lazy turbine. Post them!

Dysmetria
02-11-2011, 02:53 AM

And the first time they stop posting the announcemetn in the forums, is when half orcs go on sale. So I missed it.

BAH.

Lazy turbine. Post them!They did post the announcement in the forums. Like all the others, it just links you to the actual sales page, which usually shows the new sales hours before there is a forum post linking to them.

That is why they ask you to bookmark the sales pages and check there, because you cannot bookmark threads that haven't been created yet. Of course you can always check to see what is half off in game on the actual day of the sale too. It's the same 24 hour period each week.

Setin_Myways
02-11-2011, 07:29 AM
I do not mean to be beating a dead horse, but it seems there are still quite a few people missing these sales, and I actively look for them. Perhaps i am getting cached content, but it should not be so hard, well, it should not be that anyone misses the sale. I guess some people feel there is no room or need for improvement on this process. I am not trying to be critical, but rather constructive.

I posted the 'Where's the beef' comment after looking for this weeks sale. I could not find it and that was Monday at 3:05 PM. In my business, if a customer says they cannot find information that helps us make a sale, we generally listen and respond. Perhaps I got lulled into a laziness because they normally have it as a scrolling announcement, and I did not see it. So now I should just look at the sales page?

Dysmetria
02-11-2011, 11:53 AM
I do not mean to be beating a dead horse, but it seems there are still quite a few people missing these sales, and I actively look for them. Perhaps i am getting cached content, but it should not be so hard, well, it should not be that anyone misses the sale. I guess some people feel there is no room or need for improvement on this process. I am not trying to be critical, but rather constructive.

I posted the 'Where's the beef' comment after looking for this weeks sale. I could not find it and that was Monday at 3:05 PM. In my business, if a customer says they cannot find information that helps us make a sale, we generally listen and respond. Perhaps I got lulled into a laziness because they normally have it as a scrolling announcement, and I did not see it. So now I should just look at the sales page?The sales page is updated before anything else, and was showing half orcs would be half off even before 3:05 PM on Monday. You can look wherever it is you see the scrolling announcement or in these forums or in game on the actual day of the sale too, but they say to bookmark the sales pages and to check them regularly and to subscribe to the RSS feed if you want the information ASAP.

rsking
02-12-2011, 03:48 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

BAH.

Lazy turbine. Post them!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:
first time for everything i guess isn't that right mr./ms. founder :p
i seen it on the login but it may not have updated :p
but o'well it wouldn't be the first time and is won't be the last :cool: