PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, fix TH Weapons!

greybucket
01-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Why on earth would a two-handed fighter be holding their weapon flat and not vertical? For one, it looks like your character doesn't know how to fight if they can't even hold the weapon right in the first place. I am surprised that I haven't come across this on the forums yet.

Seeing a two-handed weapon being held horizontal is like seeing someone with a "limp wrist" pick up a power tool. I suggest making two-handed weapons at least look like they are ready to be used.

Since it appears as though we are never going to get visible cloaks, at least let our chars be able to actually sheath our weapons when not in use, showing two-handed weapons on the character's back and single-handed weapons in scabbards on the waist.

Thoughts?

SiliconShadow
01-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Use /sheathe but the weapon vanishes from sight then, would love to see it sheathed though! +1

NecroKovy
01-07-2011, 07:50 AM
You can sheathe your weapons by typing ' /sheathe ' into the chat box. :)

greybucket
01-07-2011, 07:51 AM
I know about /sheathe, but it might as well be called /hideyourweapons.

Draccus
01-07-2011, 07:52 AM
I agree on both.

Ironically, the animations for sheathing weapons, on your hips for one-handed weapons and on your back for two-handed weapons, are already in the game! Characters in the Character Creator sheathe their weapons.

greybucket
01-07-2011, 07:55 AM
@Draccus - Exactly, so why not show your weapons where you put them? I forgot that on character creation, it shows weapons sheathed. I wonder why it isn't in the actual game play.

I don't care if clipping occurs when performing certain actions... that is, if I can stand a TWF climbing a ladder. lol

NecroKovy
01-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Ah, yes I see what you mean, I can agree it would be cool to actually SEE the sheathed weapon. (I'm hard pressed to figure out how to sheathe a staff though, besides my old man Wiz needs his walking stick!) lol

MrLarone
01-07-2011, 07:57 AM
/signed, was thinking this about a month ago, glad i'm not the only one =)

iirc the blade of fury hangs in the manner suggested (and does look better imho).

sheathing would be awesome.

greybucket
01-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I did notice that the Blade of Fury displays correctly. Axes don't look awfully bad horizontal, but Falchions are HORRIBLE.

tyrosinekinase
01-08-2011, 03:05 PM
/sheathe doesn't work on my monk! ***?

RATRACE931
01-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I did notice that the Blade of Fury displays correctly. Axes don't look awfully bad horizontal, but Falchions are HORRIBLE.

Thats actually how Falchions are used you hold them like that so that you block with the flat of the blade and use sweeping motion to cut. Amazingly the game is historicaly acurate not hollywood accurate.

Goldeneye
01-08-2011, 03:39 PM
at least let our chars be able to ..sheath... showing two-handed weapons on the character's back and single-handed weapons in scabbards on the waist.

Yes! That would be awesome!

greybucket
01-09-2011, 02:45 AM
I was also thinking that if your weapons are sheathed, it could add just a tiny amount to your run speed. When you encountered a mob, you could click to attack as normal and you would automatically unsheath your weapons and after you stopped being in attack stance, automatically sheathe your weapon again.

Gorbadoc
01-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Thats actually how Falchions are used you hold them like that so that you block with the flat of the blade and use sweeping motion to cut. Amazingly the game is historicaly acurate not hollywood accurate.

Huh. Here I figured it was just a safety precaution. Holding a large sword horizontal creates considerable torque. When your character's wrist gives out, you don't want to dull the blade by having it chop into the ground.

Then again, if safety or practicality were the issue, you would probably want to hold the weapon more vertical, to reduce the aforementioned torque. Also, you probably wouldn't bother trying for an upward slash from a standstill, and you wouldn't lead with the dull edge of a single-edged weapon.

Seriously, the stuff these characters do with weapons is at once impressive and bewildering.

NaturalHazard
01-09-2011, 03:33 AM

well us rogues dont want to look like we are walking around armed to the teeth...........

AuriliusTyr
01-09-2011, 09:21 PM

Hate to break it to you, but if you watch the BoF's attack animation you attack with the flat of the blade, so while you may prefer the standing animation (personally couldn't care less about this), the attack animation is dead wrong unless your wielding a giant flyswatter.

SardaofChaos
01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Not entirely sure what you mean by this, although the only th weapon any of my chars use is a greataxe so that one may just be correct anyways.