PDA

View Full Version : Titan Forge Tweaking

RandomKeypress
12-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Okay, I don't want the Titan Forge to be nerfed. I just want to be able to run it every now and then. The problem is that the actual Titan fight basically involves over half the raid checking their e-mail and the other half waiting for the stupid thing to actually move to where it is supposed to go. It takes forever. It is boring (even if you have a job).
I don't know the statistics, but with the tedium of titan flagging, the irritation of running the raid and the intimidation involved in trying to figure out the pre-raid, it must be one of the least-run raids. I know that there is almost never an LFM up, and even when there is, you don't get a full party (which makes doing the pre-raid as it seems to be intended, without DD, impossible).
Could the devs please consider making a few tweaks to the raid to make it a little faster?
I think that all it would take would be a simple mod to the Titan's agro - let it reset and go to a walking patrol every thirty-odd seconds. It would make the raid quicker, but maybe a little harder. Less time sitting around waiting for the thing to move, more time trying to get the laser timing and pillar targetting right.
I'm sure others have suggested similar changes, and I know the chances of Titan rising to the top of anyone's job list is low, but the raid as it is just isn't working.

Tarnoc
12-28-2010, 04:03 PM
first off ill say not signed

the reasons are
1..it was many years before titan could even be run because they broke it.....

2.the reason its not run much is because of the loot being meh at lvl 20....chattering ring although yes its nice 3 ac doesnt matter that much in high end content

3. if you want to run it you lead it.....

FIRE THE LASER

markusthelion
12-28-2010, 04:05 PM
I rather enjoy the twilight forge/ the titan awakes, but since the whole thing can be 4 manned with no healer I'd hardly classify it as a 'Raid' anymore. I understand peoples frustrations with it, and it needs a tweak imo. Maybe epic? I dunno, the gloves are really the only stand out loot to me anymore as the chattering rings +3 dodge comes in DT form as well (and may be easier to get now). I support this....+1 for the not so mundane /rant thread.

Engar1
12-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Simply make Twilight Forge a flagging quest like ADQ1. It could remain a raid, but not having to repeat it before Titan Awakes reduces stress and makes it more forgiving for new players.

I like Titan and lead it fairly often, but I refuse to lead it with more than 5 players (even then 2 can pike) and I cringe at adding anyone unfamiliar. The two part raid just takes too long and is too monotonous to have to do it all over again because one disinterested yahoo goes stir crazy and fails everyone after spending an hour getting to Titan Awakes. Titan is so unforgiving even a veteran group can get a run of bad luck so if it gets close people often get a little snippy (or a lot).

Phidius
12-29-2010, 03:11 AM
... The problem is that the actual Titan fight basically involves over half the raid checking their e-mail and the other half waiting for the stupid thing to actually move to where it is supposed to go. It takes forever. It is boring (even if you have a job).

Those who stand on the ladder can actively help move the Titan to where he needs to go. I tell people to stay on the ladder to minimize the risk of the Titan moving at the wrong time, but if someone knows what they are doing I welcome their active involvement.

Could the devs please consider making a few tweaks to the raid to make it a little faster?
I think that all it would take would be a simple mod to the Titan's agro - let it reset and go to a walking patrol every thirty-odd seconds. It would make the raid quicker, but maybe a little harder. Less time sitting around waiting for the thing to move, more time trying to get the laser timing and pillar targetting right.
I'm sure others have suggested similar changes, and I know the chances of Titan rising to the top of anyone's job list is low, but the raid as it is just isn't working.

I don't see how this would help - it would just increase the risk of missing with a pillar.

As it is now, staying on the ladder provides an important (if boring) role to the raid - holding the Titan in place. Letting the Titan go on walking patrol would mean the ladder crew would have a pointless and boring role.

Aussir
12-29-2010, 06:00 AM
You know, once, after the transfer, we eubies ran the titan like you guys do it here: stand on ladders. Not even 5 minutes into it, we got bored, flipped the bird at that tactic and proceeded to do it as we usually did it in Europe. At least everyone was doing something then, even if it was just running around Monty Python style.

Draccus
12-29-2010, 08:06 AM
The funny thing about the titan raid is that the pre-raid requires EVERYONE to do something and is one of the best quests in the game. I love the green side and red side puzzles -- very well done. The raid itself is a blast for the three people with something to do. I'm always the laser guy and I love that raid. But it is insanely boring for the ladder pikers.

An easy fix would be to add respawning WF to the top catwalks. That would give the ladder pikers something to do (protect the crystal runner) while the three people killing the titan do their thing. The problem is that without a balance of 40, those pikers become falling debris and run a huge risk of moving the titan when you don't want him to move.

To combat that, I'd shorten the radius of the Titan's hammer blow so that it doesn't affect people in the upper reaches of the room. I'd make it so that its range is just below the upper catwalks. Anyone on the ladders or below would be affected.

BUT, the biggest problem with the Titan, and the reason it's rarely run, isn't the raid mechanics or the lack of excitement. The biggest problem with the Titan is the broken loot table. I've run it about 50 times in groups that ranged from 4 to 12 people. If I assume an average of 8 people per run, I've seen 400 loot pulls. In those 400 pulls, I've never seen one chattering ring, seven fingered glove, gyroscopic boots, belt of brute strength, or shining crescent. Not ONE of the only worthwhile loot items in the game. A good 75% of runs result in absolutely no raid loot pulled at all. There are 16 items in the loot table and they should drop far more often.

Phidius
12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
...I've never seen one chattering ring, seven fingered glove, gyroscopic boots, belt of brute strength, or shining crescent. Not ONE of the only worthwhile loot items in the game...

And those items are useful for a very few builds, or easier to acquire elsewhere.

Rubiconn
12-29-2010, 02:00 PM
You know, once, after the transfer, we eubies ran the titan like you guys do it here: stand on ladders. Not even 5 minutes into it, we got bored, flipped the bird at that tactic and proceeded to do it as we usually did it in Europe. At least everyone was doing something then, even if it was just running around Monty Python style.

Im all for more active participation. I do not have this quest memorized so its always a little new to me.

Isnt Python more known for "Silly Walks" vs running around unless you are going to run around like a "Gumby"
Thank you for the Python reference.

+1

RandomKeypress
12-29-2010, 02:01 PM
And those items are useful for a very few builds, or easier to acquire elsewhere.

Except the seven fingered gloves. They're not beaten by any other item in the game, that I'm aware of. UMD is a common feature of many builds, and boosting it isn't easy. To be honest, if there was a non-epic way of getting +5 UMD outside of the Forge, I'd be happy to do it once for elite favor and never go back there.

Aussir
12-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Im all for more active participation. I do not have this quest memorized so its always a little new to me.

Isnt Python more known for "Silly Walks" vs running around unless you are going to run around like a "Gumby"
Thank you for the Python reference.

+1

If you ever see what goes on in one of our titan runs, you'll understand why I say it's Monty Python style. :D

Crazyfruit
12-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Okay, I don't want the Titan Forge to be nerfed. I just want to be able to run it every now and then. The problem is that the actual Titan fight basically involves over half the raid checking their e-mail and the other half waiting for the stupid thing to actually move to where it is supposed to go. It takes forever. It is boring (even if you have a job).

There's an easy fix for that.

Have all those people standing on the ladders close their browsers and hop down. The titan moves every 15 seconds or so if it's not bugging out (because it's trying to go for someone on a ladder, and can't reach him, so it just stands there like a moron & sometimes it tries to shoot...)

Most titans only take about 5 minutes this way and everyone has fun. Just make sure people know not to break pillars unless the gunner's ready :)