PDA

View Full Version : Shifters! Can we have them?

wiglin
12-26-2010, 07:24 AM
I would like to see shifters (core race of eberron not the 3.5 prc) added to ddo. Here are some ideas that would fit ddo and add some nice flavor.

For the animation and look, Turbine could use half-orc as a base and then just adjust their overall size to about half-elf height while maintaining body proportions. Then allow for various facial features in character creation.

The shifter forms could be chosen at creation as a bonus feat. PnP only allows the abilities for a short time, but in ddo that would be pointless since our dungeons have a lot more encounters than pnp. The shifter traits could be a stance that can be toggled on or off and last for 5 minutes. This way the stat bonuses are applied after character creation and do not allow for an easier point buy in say strength like half-orc or constitution like dwarves. This also keeps the bonuses from helping to qualify for feats. For instance the Longstride dex bonus would not let you start with a 15 dex and qualify for gtwf. All stats start at 8 with no inherit bonuses.

Traits are either carried over from pnp or based on pnp. I have adjusted some of them so they would work in ddo, without overpowering other races, like warforged did for wizards pre palemaster.

Shifter Traits (chosen at level 1 as a bonus feat)

*Beasthide: +2 Stacking Bonus to Con, +2 Stacking Bonus to Natural AC, DR 1/-. (stacks with Barbarian DR )
*Longtooth: +2 Stacking Bonus to Dex, +2 Stacking Damage Bonus to Unarmed Fighting.
*Cliffwalk: +2 Stacking Bonus to Dex, +5 bonus to your Balance skill, Immune to Slippery Surfaces.
*Razorclaw: +2 Stacking Bonus to Str, +2 Stacking Damage Bonus to Unarmed Fighting.
*Longstride: +2 Stacking Bonus to Dex, +10% Stacking Bonus to Movement Speed.
*Wildhunt: +2 Stacking Bonus to Dex, Able to spot enemy's even if they are invisible or in hiding. (see invisibility)
*Dreamsight: +2 Stacking Bonus to Wis, At Will Wild Empathy 30 second cooldown DC = 10 + Shifter Level + Wisdom Modifier.
*Gorebrute: +2 Stacking Bonus to Str, At Will Charge Ability 20 second cooldown. (Just like the minotaur charge. If you charge into an enemy you make a knockdown attempt at 10 + 1/2 Shifter Level + Strength Modifier)
*Swiftwing: +2 Stacking Bonus to Dex, At Will Leap of Faith ability 20 second cooldown. (needs to be slow moving though since their flight is actually slower than walk speed)
*Truedive: +2 Stacking Bonus to Con, +10 bonus to your swim skill, Underwater Action

Shifter Enhancements:

*Shifter Bonus Stat I (2AP) Level 3
Gain +1 to your traits bonus stat.
*Shifter Bonus Stat II (4AP) Level 8
Gain an additional +1 to your traits bonus stat.

*Shifter Trait Duration I (1AP) Level 2
Your trait stance lasts 25% longer.
*Shifter Trait Duration II (2AP) Level 5
Your trait stance lasts 50% longer.
*Shifter Trait Duration III (3AP) Level 8
Your trait stance lasts 75% longer.

*Shifter Extra Traits I (1AP) Level 2
You can now use your trait 1 additional time each rest
*Shifter Extra Traits II (2AP) Level 6
You can now use your trait 2 additional times each rest
*Shifter Extra Traits III (3AP) Level 10
You can now use your trait 3 additional time each rest

*Improved Shifter Trait (3AP) Level 14 (must have the existing trait to qualify)
Beasthide: You gain an additional +2 stacking bonus to your armor class and your inherit DR becomes 2/-.
Longtooth: You gain an additional +2 stacking damage bonus to unarmed fighting.
Cliffwalk: You gain an additional +5 to your balance skill and are immune to trip. (you can still be knockdown from the marilith, minotaurs, and titans)
Razorclaw: You gain an additional +2 stacking damage bonus to unarmed fighting.
Longstride: You gain an additional 5% stacking bonus to movement speed.
Wild Hunt: You can now use your ability of smell to track your enemy. (You gain True Seeing against enemy's but not for finding hidden doors)
Dreamsight: Your wild empathy now works on magical beats and monstrous humanoids
Gorebrute: The DC to your charge knockdown is now 14 + 1/2 Shifter Level + Strength Modifier
Swiftwing: Reduce the cooldown to your at will leap of faith by 5 seconds.
Truedive: You can now cast spells and perform other actions underwater not normally allowed and you gain an additional +10 points to your swim skill bringing the total to +20.

wiglin
01-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Yes Please? Mabee? We'll Thank About It?

NeutronStar
01-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Yes Please? Mabee? We'll Thank About It?

The Magic 8-Ball says, "Yes."

doomboy
01-14-2011, 07:18 AM
yes please? perhaps?

NeutronStar
01-14-2011, 07:21 AM
yes please? perhaps?

Again, the Magic 8-Ball says, "Yes."

markusthelion
01-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Not before Druid, but yes.

NeutronStar
01-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Not before Druid, but yes.

Pretty sure they'll be here at the same time.

Nerate_Mireth
01-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Nicely put and well thought out. Now if they would just add Shifters and Druids I'd be able to finish my plot to takeover the server.

wax_on_wax_off
01-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Why profane bonuses? They wouldn't stack with quite a few existing buffs/items.

wiglin
01-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Why profane bonuses? They wouldn't stack with quite a few existing buffs/items.

I wasn't thinking about what all would not stack. The profane would need to be a new bonus that stacks. Not sure how that's coded, but it also needs to stack with monk stance. No reason for making it profane... in fact I will change it to a "stacking bonus" :)