PDA

View Full Version : Give A Divine Spell That Hurts Anything In It

chrisgina39
12-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Something like fw so we can hurt non moving things plz.

Teharahma
12-25-2010, 06:25 AM
BB isnt enough for you ?
Just skip the nonmoving things..

LunaCee
12-25-2010, 06:28 AM
That would be implementation of that 9th level spell Storm of Vengeance that we are still waiting on... you know the one that can also be used by those imaginary Druids that may get implemented at some point.

Or, Clerics finally get a massive upgrade that makes the Cleric and FvS discussion take off again by getting their Domains. (Oh boy, oh boy... Fire Domain for example... I can already hear the screams!)

Noctus
12-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Destruction

Implosion

Harm

dogonovo
12-25-2010, 08:58 AM
I suggest...

*casts Slay Troll*

/thread

voodoogroves
12-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Find the Temple?

Musouka
12-25-2010, 09:47 AM
As if implosion wasn't enough for you Divines.

Ookami007
12-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Yup... and right after that, they can give rogue skills to fighters... all weapon profs to rogues, rage to monks and healing to wizards...

Seriously... if you want firewall... play an arcane. Divine was NEVER intended as a dps style caster, except against undead.

That goes all the way back to the original D&D, when firewall was da bomb.

voodoogroves
12-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Yup... and right after that, they can give rogue skills to fighters... all weapon profs to rogues, rage to monks and healing to wizards...
Don't infringe on my right to have rage and evasion on my arcane-dps bardadin!

Seriously... if you want firewall... play an arcane. Divine was NEVER intended as a dps style caster, except against undead.
And outsiders. Abjuration was a classical strong area as well. Pity it doesn't really work in DDO

That goes all the way back to the original D&D, when firewall was da bomb.
Wall of Fire rocks, but Find the Temple **is** the bomb. Or Planet-Killer, whatever you want to call it.

chrisgina39
12-25-2010, 11:34 AM
ok i phrased it bad
i basically what a dot spell that hurts thing that stay still harm is too mana in efficient and how would it be op?

Noctus
12-25-2010, 11:53 AM
how would it be op?

class balance.

arcanes are better with damage spells, divines with healing and debuff removal.

Tirisha
12-25-2010, 12:22 PM

lol I'm not sure if people know this but implosion is pretty weaksauce.... first off the CD is terrible.... takes forever to recast, second it only procs on ticks, ticking about 7-8 times per cast over 8 seconds extended. Were as Wail hits everything in range instantaneously and recharges pretty quickly even on a wiz. The only good reason I carry it is it looks cool as hell.

In regards to the OP though, eh Casters are pretty screwed in epics cause their functions include buffs (which they can't do as good as a bard) CC (which sorcs can't do as good as a bard) and FW. Take away FW (by giving it to divines) and it's a sad day for the Sorc at least; wizards would suffer too.

Lorien_the_First_One
12-25-2010, 12:22 PM

It's not compared to wail.

Tirisha
12-25-2010, 12:24 PM
and healing to wizards...

Ahem..... Reconstruct...... just saying

bobbryan2
12-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Good thing Druids will have wall of fire...
*sigh*

rexservorum
12-25-2010, 12:27 PM
i basically what a dot spell that hurts thing that stay still

Doesn't Fire Storm work like that? Or does it only proc when something enters the area?

I know Fire Storm sucks, but at any rate, there are other tools at your disposal for those immobile creatures.

For most things, Destruction/Implosion/Banishment.

Hmm, it's undead? Searing Light, radiant burst, or just heal it down.

Death Ward / Epic you say? Well, good thing you have five stalwart adventurers by your side. :D

Every class has its foils that can't be dealt with easily. Be thankful, as a divine caster you have fewer of them than most.

PNellesen
12-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Destruction

Implosion

Harm

Cometfall

Firestorm

Any of those (other than Implosion, I think) can be targeted on non-moving mobs like archers, and we get Blade Barriers for the mobs you can kite around. What more do us Clerics need? Isn't it enough to get 1-hit-kill spells AND free self-healing AND amazing party healing abilities AND buffs AND resists?

aristarchus1000
12-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Divine Power and beating it down with a stick? That's a pretty mana efficient DoT. :)

Wall of Fire is possibly overpowered for even the arcanes in this game due to monster AI, so no reason to spread it to divines.

Firestorm might work, i've never tried it, honestly.

TheDearLeader
12-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Something like fw so we can hurt non moving things plz.

You're such a horrible troll.

Not even Firewall hurts everything in it. There are many mobs in game that are highly resistant, or outright immune, to fire damage.

Musouka
12-25-2010, 01:34 PM
It's not compared to wail.

I wont deny that, having my main as an arcane. However, one implosion has several ticks on the same mob, while 1 wail ticks once. So someone using wail could use more SP on a group, while a cleric has higher odds of imploding a group. Both instances are assuming both classes have the same combat casting feats... but we all know that wont ever happen, as Wizards get free Metamagics, and Clerics don't have enough feats to maximize spell penetration, spell focus, and mental toughness at the same time take empower healing and maximize.

Stanley_Nicholas
12-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Firestorm sucks. It's basically the same as flamestrike, but with a moderately larger AoE. Waste of space on even a cleric's hotbar, let alone FvS.

Matuse
12-25-2010, 04:06 PM
lol I'm not sure if people know this but implosion is pretty weaksauce.... first off the CD is terrible.... takes forever to recast, second it only procs on ticks, ticking about 7-8 times per cast over 8 seconds extended. Were as Wail hits everything in range instantaneously and recharges pretty quickly even on a wiz. The only good reason I carry it is it looks cool as hell.

Implosion is very far from weak.

1) It works on constructs and undead. Try that with Wail.
2) If you have one annoying enemy who refuses to go down, cast an Implosion and watch it take 7-8 whacks at him. Considerably more mana efficient than trying 7-8 Destructions/Fingers.

Yes, the cooldown is excessively long. Ohwell.

azrael4h
12-25-2010, 08:10 PM

2) If you have one annoying enemy who refuses to go down, cast an Implosion and watch it take 7-8 whacks at him. Considerably more mana efficient than trying 7-8 Destructions/Fingers.

This. I cast it as I charge into a mob of enemies alongside the melees. I usually wipe out most of them. It's very sp-efficient, though the cooldown means I'm still relying on BB more, with Destruction for those critters that just refuse to group.

donfilibuster
12-25-2010, 09:18 PM
The dot spells are there, just aren't fast like fw nor readily have the boost lines.

If you think firestorm isn't good then remember there's no elemental enhancement line, nor you carry a major fire lore, nor a superior potency VIII, let alone a regular potency VIII.
Firewall would be equally useless without boosts.

Now, for missing spells in ddo, i'd go asking for these:
Spiritual Hammer, Insect Plague, and Storm of Vengeance

Musouka
12-25-2010, 09:35 PM
I just hope they have storm of vengeance ready when they have Druid ready.

~Tago_Bane
12-25-2010, 09:45 PM

lol doesn't work on constructs when I cast it. Always get a failed SR notice. and... It's cool it works on undead but still.... horribly long cooldown.... just get a caster to FW wall it or heal it to death because one implosion isn't gonna cut it and that's all you'll probably get in a single scrap.

If your after a single target enervate then cast. though yeah implosion is slightly better in this instance the fact that it's CD is so high means your probably not gonna have it available when you want it.

Illiain
12-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Doesn't Fire Storm work like that? Or does it only proc when something enters the area?

I know Fire Storm sucks, but at any rate, there are other tools at your disposal for those immobile creatures.

Firestorm is an instant spell, not a dot. It's an 8th level fireball with a huge area. Divines have no moderate/high damage dot spells that don't require you to kite them around. RS aura is the only one I can think of and it's low damage and to undead only. Firewall deals damage if you kite them or they stand still.

Now on the other hand, do I agree with the OP, no. Divines are given better survivability and moderate melee capabilities to compensate for the lack of spell damage.

Aeolwind
12-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Storm of Vengeance? Uh, I'd rather have Elemental Swarm...

LunaCee
12-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Storm of Vengeance? Uh, I'd rather have Elemental Swarm...

Only problem with that is the fact that the non-limited version of the spell is Druid only, and the limited to a single element version is attached to Domains.

Oh and the fact that the Developers seem to have a real fondness for keeping summons generally weak. Never mind the fact that the summons were generally weak in PnP because your average encounters were lots of lower CR than the player critters and the fact you could summon in LOTS of them. Especially given that one could cast a higher level spell to get multiples from a lower tier of summons. Within 2-3 casts one could have a good number of summons on the field mucking things up.

Honestly, implementation of Domain spells would be very helpful. One could have them be four tier deals for the usual 1, 2, 3, and 4 AP per tier. And one could put a limitation on how many times per rest that they can actually be utilized by implementing them via Enhancement.

So say Tier I at 5th, Tier II at 9th, III at 13th, IV at 17th... Tier I would grant a two uses per rest of Domain spells for spell levels 1-3. Tier II would grant an extra use to all lower tiers per rest and a two uses per rest of spell levels 4 and 5. Tiers III and IV would also grant a single extra use of abilities from lower tiers and the two uses of their own tier.

At 5 casts per rest of 1-3, 4 of 4-5, 3 of 6-7, and 2 of 8th & 9th... it takes some thought on when and where to use them. When one only has two to four firewalls per shrine and similarly limited numbers of fireballs delayed or not, one has to be creative with a limited resource. This brings back edge play for clerics at least. To a certain extent it is far more fun to play and succeed with a limited resource than it is to pay to utilize an almost endless resource.

This keeps the flavor of Domain spells being specially granted spells that one conserves and only uses at need.