PDA

View Full Version : it's been months, fix repeating crossbows!

IAmDesolator3
12-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Why isn't this even on the known issues list? Hey, look, it's a dev saying when he tumbles then tries to fire, it permanently screws up the repeating crossbows so they only fire 1-2 bolts before reloading.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=285871

Guess who has 2 thumbs and like to tumble? THIS GUY! It actually might not have anything to do with tumbling because several people claim it's random even if they never tumble. It might be caused by lag, being hasted or using action boost haste, or by a coding error in the loop code or many other suggestions. But regardless, fix it! It's like waaaay overdue to fix. I can't have some monster charging me or be trying to outhit a healer or troll's regen and just randomly only fire 1 shot. It seriously took me like 2 minutes to kill a self-healing scorrow prophet because when he was at 25% I kept getting crappy single shots!

hey look, it's more angry people:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=257306

We're at like 6 months of dealing with this issue since it was first reported, although obviously it's been around since repeating light crossbows were invented.

Ethiel
12-17-2010, 12:45 PM
2 threads on the same topic in the same day.

On a topic that had the burning pace of 2 topics in the past 6 months.

So it is obviously an issue that 90% of the people in the game care nothing about.

can we stop spamming this now?

KillEveryone
12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Why isn't this even on the known issues list? Hey, look, it's a dev saying when he tumbles then tries to fire, it permanently screws up the repeating crossbows so they only fire 1-2 bolts before reloading.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=285871

Guess who has 2 thumbs and like to tumble? THIS GUY! It actually might not have anything to do with tumbling because several people claim it's random even if they never tumble. It might be caused by lag, being hasted or using action boost haste, or by a coding error in the loop code or many other suggestions. But regardless, fix it! It's like waaaay overdue to fix. I can't have some monster charging me or be trying to outhit a healer or troll's regen and just randomly only fire 1 shot. It seriously took me like 2 minutes to kill a self-healing scorrow prophet because when he was at 25% I kept getting crappy single shots!

hey look, it's more angry people:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=257306

We're at like 6 months of dealing with this issue since it was first reported, although obviously it's been around since repeating light crossbows were invented.

It is a good thing you haven't been here from start. A lot of vets have complained about a lot worse stuff not being fixed.

Not everything is cut an dry so not everything will be fixed right away. At least they are making an attempt at fixing the problem.

Even still, I don't really care about this problem. Personally I'd like to see other issues addressed first since ranged is a gimp form of combat, even with a repeater.

NeutronStar
12-17-2010, 12:51 PM
OP, have you met h4x0r1f1c yet?

flynnjsw
12-17-2010, 12:52 PM
2 threads on the same topic in the same day.

On a topic that had the burning pace of 2 topics in the past 6 months.

So it is obviously an issue that 90% of the people in the game care nothing about.

can we stop spamming this now?

^^ This please.

See, told you it was the worst. ;)

flynnjsw
12-17-2010, 12:57 PM
op, Have You Met H4x0r1f1c Yet?

Mpd?

Crann
12-17-2010, 01:02 PM
10:26

NeutronStar
12-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Mpd?

Maybe

IAmDesolator3
12-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Gee, now we know what people who don't use repeating crossbow think. Thanks, that was real constructive and helpful to other readers. You're a real asset to the forum.

What kind of person sees a problem with the repeating crossbows and decides to just stop using it like you all apparently have? It's the primary reason to get rogue mechanic and it's basically unuseable at the moment. That's completely unacceptable and ridiculous. What issue is sooo much more pressing? Some stupid balance thing? If your precious khopeshes stopped swinging some of the time, you'd be ripping up the forums like an angry gorilla so maybe you should just accept the fact that not everyone builds characters your way and maybe a level 10 rogue needs one to cause maximum damage to far away targets.

If you're so passionate about them fixing whatever you vaguely mentioned should be done beofre this then make your own thread entitled "Stop making all new content until the game runs perfectly" so you can go hate in that thread instaed.

Here's what I recommend you do instead of following me around the forums all day, posting offensive nonsense that doesn't help anyone. Click on User CP up there. Click on Edit Ignore List on the left side. Add "IAmDesolator3" and hit okay. Then you don't have to see my posts anymore, yaaaaay! And I don't have you see your replies anymore, double yaaaaaaaay! Everyone wins!

Why haven't I ignored all of you yet? Waaaay too entertaining :P You're all just so hilarious in thinking you're getting me mad or something. You're talking to someone who's run his own forum for 4 years and deals with people like you all day lol.

P.S. 2 posts in one day, OH NOZ! One was to ask if it was a glitch or just unique to me, I found out it was known, and posted a suggestion to promote fixing it. END OF DA WORLDZ! Duck and cover!

salmag
12-18-2010, 10:41 AM
It's been years and Range still isn't fixed, let alone Repeaters...

I feel for you, but the Devs do NOT care about Ranged combat...

And now, they are trying to Nerf Casters, or turn them into buff-bots...

Let's face it, Melee is DDO, and DDO is Melee...

Hopefully ;) , someday :rolleyes: , The people in charge here will realize that DnD/DDO is more than just Hack and Slash (literally) :rolleyes: ...

a plea like this, however valid, will only draw the ire of the Melee gods...

Hercanic
12-18-2010, 10:56 AM
"The Devs do not care about X, blah blah blah." I need to turn that into a cliché Hot Topic T-shirt or something.

If you had followed Update 7, you would know that a developer did in fact try to fix the Repeater issue. He thought he had fixed it, but unfortunately the changes had to be retracted because they caused greater problems elsewhere. The issue has to do with server-client syncing, so it's not an easy fix.

salmag
12-18-2010, 12:08 PM
"The Devs do not care about X, blah blah blah." I need to turn that into a cliché Hot Topic T-shirt or something.

If you had followed Update 7, you would know that a developer did in fact try to fix the Repeater issue. He thought he had fixed it, but unfortunately the changes had to be retracted because they caused greater problems elsewhere. The issue has to do with server-client syncing, so it's not an easy fix.

I am not going to flame you, but since Beta back around early 2006 it has been shown where range fits into the world of DDO. I have been following since then... Not since DDO:EU launched - I have seen countless times - the Devs try to "fix" something... while they have succeeded sometimes... For some reason, range combat is not one where they have...

It is, and has always been, placed on the back-burner... With the exception of one dev, who tried to address it, range has been ignored for the most part... IT STILL IS... I base this observation on years of playing/following this game/forums, not months...

This game is awesome and some of us have adapted to range combat being what it is... We are still holding out hope that it will be addressed but we aren't holding our breathe...

Please Order me a T-Shirt when you have them made...

To the OP --> I hope they do fix this bug for repeaters... they should... I just hope it doesn't get put on the backburner with the rest of range combat... it is a bug, after all...

xberto
12-18-2010, 12:25 PM
I am not going to flame you, but since Beta back around early 2006 it has been shown where range fits into the world of DDO. I have been following since then... Not since DDO:EU launched - I have seen countless times - the Devs try to "fix" something... while they have succeeded sometimes... For some reason, range combat is not one where they have...

Ranged combat has a few bugs but it does fit in DDO. A good AA or Repeater Mechanic can rip through mobs and bring something unique to the party. Most players just don't get it. And many don't have the skills to play ranged effectively.

I'm with the OP however, it does seem there is some improvement with the repeaters, since I started my mechanic. Be patient, they can't fix everything in one update.

salmag
12-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Ranged combat has a few bugs but it does fit in DDO. A good AA or Repeater Mechanic can rip through mobs and bring something unique to the party. Most players just don't get it. And many don't have the skills to play ranged effectively.

I'm with the OP however, it does seem there is some improvement with the repeaters, since I started my mechanic. Be patient, they can't fix everything in one update.

I agree it does take some skills to play a ranged character effectively. I never said it doesn't fit... but, many, myself included, have learned and had to adapt to how it currently works...

I just started to build my Mechanic so I hope they do fix the repeater bug, as well...

IAmDesolator3
12-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I always thought ranged was soooo overpowered. I just picked up a holy frost longbow on my (at the time) level 8 rogue and he smoked everything with it :D It's horribly unfair to be able to shoot something like a thousand feet away in the sand and kill it before it gets halfway to me. There are some quests like that sentinels one where you attack the fortress where if you brought 6 people with bows, it's like a really one sided lord of the rings battle. Now I got a new and improved graphics card and Update 8 happened at the same time so between them, somehow monsters aren't selectable or viewable from anywhere close to as far away as before. Since my various types of view distances are all maxed, I think Turbine is the one behind it. So if anything, they're trying to power down ranged combat!

But anyway, I was like sweeet cuz every other game I've played from Morrowind to Runescape, I was an archer. I looove shooting stuff with a bow, mostly cuz I've got a row of archery trophies on my dresser :D So I seriously considered making an actual ranger and going full ranged combat instead of those mixed build ones that just dual wield. So I bet I'm not going to like the answer but...what specifically is all wrong with ranged combat at the moment?

Quarterling
12-18-2010, 01:01 PM
So if the repeater crossbow only fires 2 bolts when it's supposed to fire 3, why not just make it so that it will fire 4 instead? That way it will fire 3 like it's supposed to. :p

And yes, I know that if they do this, it still won't be consistent, but it would just make it less gimped.

IAmDesolator3
12-18-2010, 01:37 PM
people have sincerely complained about it graphically having a 5 bolt hopper and not firing 5 so why the hell not? lol. Apparently it's not a simple looping code thing, it's caused by a discrepency between how many bolts your client thinks are left compared to what the server thinks so that's insanely difficult to fix. They fixed the actual issue itself but then that modification to the client-server date sharing system broke a bunch of other stuff so they undid it. This is headed towards "the entire game engine doesn't support repeating crossbows" zone so that sucks.

helicalius
12-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Some stupid balance thing?

are you talking about me?

Ungood
12-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I have wondered, with repeaters, with the whole 3 shots/Load thing (which I like to be honest), but If that is what is causing the bug, why don't they just make the shoot time 1/3 the normal for a crossbow, so it's just a "really fast" crossbow, as a temp fix to prevent this bug from happening until they can get around to fixing it properly.

Just a wondering, really.

IAmDesolator3
12-19-2010, 09:13 PM
that's a really good idea! I also wouldn't be disappointed if they made it shoot lightning bolts in the meantime :D that's be sweet