PDA

View Full Version : Tweak Bard Past Life

Chette
12-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Current bard past life feats are as follows.

Passive: You were a Bard in a past life. You occasionally find yourself humming a merry tune. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +2 to saves vs. enchantments and illusions. This feat can be stacked up to three times.

Active: You recall more about your past life as a bard. You have +1 to all Charisma based skills, +1 to the DC's of your Enchantment spells, and can Inspire Courage three times per rest. (Activate this bard ability to rally your companions, giving them a +1 morale bonus to saves against fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls before enhancements.)

I believe these feats would be more in-line with the other class past life feats if the +1 to enchantment spells were moved to the passive past life feat, and the bonus to saves were moved to the active past life feat, or even removed all-together, but the inspire courage bonus increased to +2

For reference, the sorcerer and cleric past life feats both include a bonus to a spell school DC (evocation and conjuration respectively) as well as another small bonus (20 sp and 1 turn respectively). A meager +2 to saves vs. enchantments and illusions simply doesn't compare to either of these, particularly since the only important enchantment and illusion spells (hold and PK) can be protected against with minimal buffing.

This small change would make the passive bard past life attractive to those characters seeking multiple TRs and bring it in line with the other past-life feats.

LunaCee
12-07-2010, 10:00 AM
For one thing the current passive is potentially a +6 to one's save versus command and hold spells. And I believe that the reason the enchantment DC raise is on the active is because Enchantment and Necromancy are the most effective schools of arcane magic in the game. Do we really need to see Enchantment DC's higher than 48?

Valindria
12-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Something should be done. The bard passive past life feat is the worst. I guess it's kind of hard to come up with one for a bard since they vary so much from WC to SS.

How about moving the +1 cha skills to the passive? That way any bard TR'd would gain some advantage.

Chette
12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
For one thing the current passive is potentially a +6 to one's save versus command and hold spells. And I believe that the reason the enchantment DC raise is on the active is because Enchantment and Necromancy are the most effective schools of arcane magic in the game. Do we really need to see Enchantment DC's higher than 48?

Command and hold can both be easily buffed against, so it's essentially unnecessary. Evocation is the most effective school of divine magic in the game and yet the sorcerer passive past life feat includes +1 to evocation DCs. I believe this change would only bring the feat in-line with the other available feats.