PDA

View Full Version : Are khopesh builds becoming less favaroble?

silvertrit
12-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Is the build slowly dying or becoming extinct?

Consumer
12-04-2010, 05:23 AM
No.

painindaguild
12-04-2010, 05:27 AM
what u see is people realizing that having a weapon that does not the best, but still decent damage isnt that bad either.

AltheaSteelrain
12-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Nope. Khopeshes still sell like candy and I like it that way :)

fuzzy1guy
12-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Even my grandmother has a khopesh melee.

And plays it as well as most of you!

andbr22
12-04-2010, 06:32 AM
I never liked kopashes because: "Everyone use them",they are commoners weapons...
Now I am building character that won't fall much behind to similar Kopesh build (maybe somday they give dependant "forgoten weapons" (generally swords (except greatswords), axes, daggers, Greater Xbow, blunt weapons), that are not epic).

Cairo
12-05-2010, 11:27 PM
I had a dex finesse rogue that did more damage than my str-based khopesh rogue does, because while my Str rogue is using vanilla +5s for the to-hit and cause those are the only ones that dont cost 6 arms and 4 legs, my Dex rogue was using +2 holy burst dagger of righteousness and a +2 holy rapier of pure good, had better to-hit, and got a crapton of damage from the weapons.

He was fun, but I deleted him to re-roll (only had 12 con) and went with a str-based khopesh cause ive always wanted one :)

So no, theyre not going anywhere, but the other weapons are regaining popularity.

Blank_Zero
12-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Khopesh win DPS comparisons on <insert color here> names
Heavy Picks win DPS comparisons on Epic Trash
ESoS wins with a Pure 20 Fighter (maybe pure Pallys)
Longbows are for Elves
Rapiers for Rogues
Falchions for pure 20 Barbs

Anything else?

Consumer
12-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Longbows are for Elves
Rapiers for Rogues

Anything else?

Oh dear.

Scimitar for Elves
Khopesh for Rogues
Khopesh for Barbs

Blank_Zero
12-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Oh dear.

Scimitar for Elves
Khopesh for Rogues
Khopesh for Barbs

sorry, should have clarified.

was going by weapons designed for certain races... not optimals overall...

to clarify:
TWF over THF in every situation unless a pure 20 fighter has an ESoS.

better? =D

Krag
12-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Unless you don't care about epics there is not much choice in weapon selection. You want to have x3 or better critical multiplier if you can help it. Longswords, rapiers, scimitars, falchions, greatswords just don't cut it unless they are one of the two epic weapons with better critical profile.

TheDearLeader
12-06-2010, 03:57 AM
Against Epic "Trash" : Dual Heavy Picks. Especially if Earthgrab/Freezing Ice, to assist in giving auto-crits. Notice I say "assist". This is still assuming there is a Stunner/CC Caster in the party.

Amrath : Lit II Khopeshes, or +3 Vorpal <insert flavor here> of Pure Good.

Elite IQ : That Vorpal of Pure Good.

Hard/Elite/Epic Raid bosses : Min II Khopeshes, Min II Falchion if THF. Or, either variety but instead +1 Holy Burst Silver/Cold Iron of Greater Evil Outsider Bane.

Those are items that are (in theory) attainable BEFORE performing said quests. Of course, as mentioned, Epic Items will change the ballgame.

THF Kings : Epic SoS, Epic Xuum, Epic Antique Greataxe.

TWF Kings : Epic Chaosblade, ...

There really isn't a better "Epic" weapon for TWF than the Chaosblade. And its a Khopesh. Notice how for the the endgame stuff, Khopesh still sees a fair amount of use.

Only in Epic, where Auto-crits are more common, and mobs have the HP to stay alive more than three seconds while crit. will something with a higher multiplier such as the Heavy Pick be a viable option.

But all this aside : who cares? If you like what your weapons are doing for you, use them. As much as the forumites hate them, I had a build that used Bastard Swords for the longest time. Used them until I TRed. They did the job.

I've never seen someone denied space in a raid/quest because they chose THF over TWF, or Scimitar over Khopesh, etc.

Krag
12-06-2010, 04:07 AM
I've never seen someone denied space in a raid/quest because they chose THF over TWF, or Scimitar over Khopesh, etc.

Have you never encountered something like that:

- Does anyone know ***?
- Is it the guy using bastard swords?
- BS? Lol. What a noob.
/decline

TheDearLeader
12-06-2010, 04:13 AM

- Does anyone know ***?
- BS? Lol. What a noob.
/decline

Nope. And I spent a good long time being "That Bastard Sword guy" on my Pally's first life. Probably had something to do with me consistently ripping aggro from so-called "hate tanks" with nothing going for me but auto-attack and a good choice in PrEs.

Your character is what you make it, amongst the trifecta of (Build - Gear - Player Skill). Challenge someone who has done all the cookie cutter builds to roll a G.I.M.P. toon, and they'll still find a way to make it good.

That's also a nice way of saying that I've met some people with pre-approved builds, and appropriate gear, who are ^$)# players.

Emili
12-06-2010, 04:27 AM

- Does anyone know ***?
- BS? Lol. What a noob.
/decline
Am more apt to deny people for attitude rather than what they're playing or using... fact is I know many a great player who use whatever they feel like but more than make up for it in thier skill and personality, I also know people with what should be near perfect build and gear - but they stink as a player when comes to skill, grouping interaction or both.

Krag
12-06-2010, 04:28 AM
Nope. And I spent a good long time being "That Bastard Sword guy" on my Pally's first life. Probably had something to do with me consistently ripping aggro from so-called "hate tanks" with nothing going for me but auto-attack and a good choice in PrEs.

Your character is what you make it, amongst the trifecta of (Build - Gear - Player Skill). Challenge someone who has done all the cookie cutter builds to roll a G.I.M.P. toon, and they'll still find a way to make it good.

That's also a nice way of saying that I've met some people with pre-approved builds, and appropriate gear, who are ^$)# players.

Paladin (KotC?) pulled raid boss (pit fiend/horned devil?) aggro from a hate tank who may or may not be decently equipped or chained? Consider me not impressed.

Wielding bastard swords or khopeshes have no correllation with being d-bag/nice guy.

Krag
12-06-2010, 04:33 AM
Am more apt to deny people for attitude rather than what they're playing or using... fact is I know many a great player who use whatever they feel like and also know people with what should be near perfect build and gear - but they stink as a player comes to skill, grouping interaction or both.

I know good players using khopeshes and bad terrible players using whatever.
If you are a friend or guildie you get accepted regardless. Suggesting underwhelming weapons like BS to a newer player struggling to prove his worth is a very very bad form.

Lord_WC
12-06-2010, 04:38 AM

- Does anyone know ***?
- BS? Lol. What a noob.
/decline

Um, actually no. You really know that it also means thief acrobats, monks could not find any group based solely on the weapon choice?

I really don't care about what kind of weapon do you use as long as you hit stuff with it. Hell I even leveled a Club of Holy Flame kensai, and everyone just said that's an awesome build.

TheDearLeader
12-06-2010, 04:51 AM
Paladin (KotC?) pulled raid boss (pit fiend/horned devil?) aggro from a hate tank who may or may not be decently equipped or chained? Consider me not impressed.

Wielding bastard swords or khopeshes have no correllation with being d-bag/nice guy.

I didn't ask for you to be impressed. Rather, your statement here proves my point : Our toons are more than the weapons in their hands.

/golfclap for you, sir. In fact, a +1 for (almost) getting it.

Krag
12-06-2010, 05:24 AM
I didn't ask for you to be impressed. Rather, your statement here proves my point : Our toons are more than the weapons in their hands.

/golfclap for you, sir. In fact, a +1 for (almost) getting it.

Situational efficiency is situational. Just because stat damagers still work against beholders does not mean it would be a good idea to make strength a dump stat on a melee. Thanks for the +rep but I don't see how do my statements support your point.

Um, actually no. You really know that it also means thief acrobats, monks could not find any group based solely on the weapon choice?

I really don't care about what kind of weapon do you use as long as you hit stuff with it. Hell I even leveled a Club of Holy Flame kensai, and everyone just said that's an awesome build.

Monks have to use wraps. It can't be helped, but they have all kinds of stuns and ToD to make themselves useful.
As for the acrobat rogues I have seen a few in epic quests and they were far behind khopesh-based rogues. Could be a coincidence.

TheDearLeader
12-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the +rep but I don't see how do my statements support your point.

Hence the (almost), sports fan. Keep playing. And maybe the :

Your character is what you make it, amongst the trifecta of (Build - Gear - Player Skill).

portion of my statement will stick with you.

wax_on_wax_off
12-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Perhaps in regards to the topic with the nerfs to TWF a question can be asked whether the extra effort in making a TWF build vs a THF is worth it.

If THF is similar DPS to TWF then why go to the extra effort of crafting twice as many weapons or all those extra inventory slots taken up?

Drona
12-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Hi dearleader

just ignore krag.

thnx
Drona

Snormal
12-06-2010, 05:50 AM
THF just lacks so much style compared to TWF. Also, I never see TWFers killing spiders in sleeping dust, etc etc. It's always the big guy with the greataxe.

Lleren
12-06-2010, 05:57 AM
The primary advantage of Bastard Swords is cost. For the price of 2 decent Khopeshes you can get a lot of Bastard Swords.

This advantage goes away once you are crafting Greensteel weapons.

Erekose
12-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Longbows are for Elves
Rapiers for Rogues

Anything else?

DA for FBIII Dorfs, great on trash and <insert color name bosses>

Best all round DPS on anything IMO. So far only seen 20 HO barb with ESOS come close to equal it in kill counts and is 50/50 when holding aggro against names. (only comparing pure or close to pure builds).

Currently, highest 1st number I have seen is 544, using Lightning 2 x 2, regularly get 500+ FBIII crits and that is without, epic claw set, shintao set and Abishai 3 piece set.

I figure roughly, with DA, around 590 first number max and 550 usual FBIII crit GTWF with all the vanilla gear.

Base damage will be in the range of 75-90 1st number depending on situational rages.

Damage calculators really stifle creativity and real game experience. Use with caution.

A good melee player will always improve on statistical data.

Consumer
12-06-2010, 06:07 AM
DA for Dwarfs, great on trash and <insert color name bosses>

Best all round DPS on anything IMO. So far only seen 20 HO barb with ESOS come close to equal it in kill counts and is 50/50 when holding aggro against names.

Equip the Barb with Khopeshs and he beats the epic SoS DPS on all fortifications.

Luckily DPS isn't based on what people have seen and is based on relatively easily measurable numbers.

Aalric
12-06-2010, 06:08 AM
yes, my Dwarven Tempest loves his GS DA - with the AP enhancements he does probably almost as much dmg as a human with Khopeshes (I believe there is just a tiny smidgen of difference) & as a dwarf he gets an extra 50 hp which makes up the difference in dmg, especially on a ranger.

jmonty
12-06-2010, 06:10 AM
i was using some short swords on my dark monks until i got good wraps. they still make good smiters :p

plus dwarven axes on my ranger and pallys

Daltric
12-06-2010, 06:17 AM
THF just lacks so much style compared to TWF. Also, I never see TWFers killing spiders in sleeping dust, etc etc. It's always the big guy with the greataxe.

Actually, I have. That was me with a vorp. Damn that 20 when I didn't want it :)

Tindalos
Officer of the Bloody Toe Cutters, Thelanis

PS - It wasan accident, I swear. Vorped the Ogre Mage in front of me and the spider, in its unavoidable rage, threw itself on the edge of my sword (a Scimi btw) and......oooopppppsss.

Emili
12-06-2010, 06:18 AM
I know good players using khopeshes and bad terrible players using whatever.
If you are a friend or guildie you get accepted regardless. Suggesting underwhelming weapons like BS to a newer player struggling to prove his worth is a very very bad form.
When did I ever suggest such?

Point is however if that is what someone uses I do not shastise them nor segregate them for such. Fact is I know plenty of POWER GAMERS with characters using all types of weapons... They do not care in some instances and rely on other loot and skill. There is not one fomula for success.

Yes, I been known to scream and carry on whenever anyone suggest some crazy nerf to my Khopehes ... yes I have three melee which use them (dual min II for bosses and dual lit II for epics), and some people are also plain eejit if they think kill count is some form of measure of DPS outside of Epic... I also have six other melee character who do not use khopeshes.

The Khopesh is a good weapon ... is a good all around in many situations - but you're far from off-base thinking it's the best for all situations.

Lord_WC
12-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Monks have to use wraps. It can't be helped, but they have all kinds of stuns and ToD to make themselves useful.
As for the acrobat rogues I have seen a few in epic quests and they were far behind khopesh-based rogues. Could be a coincidence.

Um, you know, most of the thief-acrobats I've seen are a tad more useful for the party than kopesh rogues. Because they have stun and other useful abilites to make up for it.

Sure, if you evaluate builds by kill count, your life is simple. But you can kopesh all you want, most damage from a group will come from the one who stuns/helds (and second most the one with the picks), and kopesh is not really effective with that.

Also, what about barbs? I mean, they would be better off with kopeshes, so why are those 'gimps' running around with THF?

And if anything, the best suggestion to a new player is to use bs instead of kopeshes. Bs are cheaper, and that +3 hb of pg you buy for the fraction of a price for a +1 frost of unimportance kopesh does far more damage (and don't get me started on breaking dr). If you have the capital to invest in a toon and you want max dps, go kopesh. If you miss either of those (bah, what am I saying, who doesn't want max dps toons), you really don't need to burn a feat for them.

painindaguild
12-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Well after all it doesnt matter that much at all. I quote sirgog (sorry search didnt work once more)
with his statement about healing shrouds in terrible groups:

the main point causing wipes is not the low dps of melee, but the low hp and healing amp of them. if it takes the melee 5 rounds to beat harry down, i will heal 5 rounds. it works, job gets done.

however if people with 300 hp and just 100% healing amp with DR beaters khopesh comes in, a wipe is near.

i personally favor dwarven axes, cus they look cool, do decent damage, and most importantly, bring extra hp in.

khopesh is absolutely better but ur hp decides if u can melee, not ur dps.

Daltric
12-06-2010, 06:31 AM
And now to the serious topic at hand. Khops are beautiful weapons. Great for dps. BUT, there is always a but. I prefer playing toons that have a history, or CHARACTER so to speak. If everyone uses Khopeshes, then aren't they just copies of each other.

Both my Ranger builds are elves and use scimis as their primary weapons. In some instances, I will swap to light picks or kukris for off hand use (based upon what I have available) on Tindalos while Bal dual weilds oversized weapons with ease.

Granted, my full dps is not the same as the Khopesh builds (and I have thought of changing to Khops for that reason), but my overall dps based upon rate of attack (+10% alacrity cause of Jor's Collar, as well as speed boosts) keeps me close to other melee twf (using Khopeshes or any other weapon for that matter) builds in overall damage done.

Maybe its just me, but really, do we want all these build clones running around with no real idea about actually running these quests, expecting that wholly and solely DPS (and decent healers) will get them thru the run. Experimentation is the spice of life and I do believe that players need to experiment with their weapon selections to discover how the different damage types work, and on what.

I still find it strange how many players don't know that Mets of PG bypass Raid Boss DRs....or that Anarchic Bursters are probably better than GCBs on portals (actually Anarchic Bursting Khopeshes would work wonders on Portals........)

Tindalos
Officer of the Bloody Toecutters, Thelanis Branch

Emili
12-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Well after all it doesnt matter that much at all. I quote sirgog (sorry search didnt work once more)
with his statement about healing shrouds in terrible groups:

the main point causing wipes is not the low dps of melee, but the low hp and healing amp of them. if it takes the melee 5 rounds to beat harry down, i will heal 5 rounds. it works, job gets done.

however if people with 300 hp and just 100% healing amp with DR beaters khopesh comes in, a wipe is near.

i personally favor dwarven axes, cus they look cool, do decent damage, and most importantly, bring extra hp in.

khopesh is absolutely better but ur hp decides if u can melee, not ur dps.
Oh as far as I'm concerned goes beyond that... is a marrage of the two. Some people can play a 450 hp melee and do just fine. When it comes to boss fights it's DPS::Mana bar ratio... I've been in elite runs where the DPS is so strong the cleric is still left with 3/4 or more mana when the boss is dead... go figure.

As for those trying to estimate what others are putting out as far as DPS you have a hard time doing so unless you're standing there timing that single person swinging at some training dummy or a held/stunned epic mob - alone. It is near impossible to determine such by kill count as all that shows is who got the killing blow... and the character with the quickest roa is usually the one takes it...

If you note... this is a ToD run - just normal. My Myara - a pure rogue is actually more dex than str... She is Str 26 while her dex is 34, far behind my other characters in gear and such she gets a lot less attention from me...

Shall you note however she has almost double the kill count of the closest character - a monk (13 kills), and there are two kotc pallys in group - both Kotc - one wielding dual khopeshes (6 kills) the other also an eSoS (11 kills) and a Gtwf WF barb wielding - two khopeshes (7 kills)... The heavier tanking toons got fewer kills respectively... afterall they were busy "tanking." Want to know something? Myara was using a GS Radiance rapier and a +5 metalline SS of PG. I also see these same circumstances in epic and other raids - matters not the difficulty and often times does not matter what character I play. I will be honest however I have a few toons push good DPS yet still even with the lower dps toon I am in the running to be high in the thick of things.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t92/bflat01/DDo/Simplekillcount.jpg

Bolo_Grubb
12-06-2010, 11:20 AM
play what you like

like what you play

really isn't the differences between different weapon type pretty small? Percentage points? single digits percentage points?

And I assume that the difference will change depending on the situation. Over the course of a single fight, boss fight, the entire quest.

In any case have fun. Enjoy, it is a game after all :)

dkyle
12-06-2010, 11:32 AM
If you note... this is a ToD run - just normal. My Myara - a pure rogue is actually more dex than str... She is Str 26 while her dex is 34, far behind my other characters in gear and such she gets a lot less attention from me...

Chances are, you do out-DPS melee that weren't tanking, on trash. Even a DEX rogue does a lot of damage when she's getting sneak attack. You probably fall pretty far behind on the bosses, though. A top-DPS STR-Rogue can still out-DPS a Barb vs 50% Fort, but I'm guess yours don't.

And kill counts aren't a great measure of DPS where it really counts. My Bard regularly gets top kills in ToD as long as I'm not assigned to scroll healing. Probably because I use LitIIs that tear through trash quite nicely, but are at best only slightly above even with MinIIs vs. the Bosses. I also often kill the eles, and Vorpal the dogs, in part 1.

Basically, I'm often the first to peel off the bosses to take care of trash, because my Bard is better geared for fighting trash over Bosses. I suspect you play similarly on your Rogue.

PCNONSENSE
12-06-2010, 11:44 AM
play what you like

like what you play

really isn't the differences between different weapon type pretty small? Percentage points? single digits percentage points?

And I assume that the difference will change depending on the situation. Over the course of a single fight, boss fight, the entire quest.

In any case have fun. Enjoy, it is a game after all :)

This!! I couldnt say it better - As Uber as most people are that post on this forum, you would think the small percentage point difference would be made up by their pure awesomeness!!! But - NO!!! You do .55% less dps than this build so you SUCK!!! LOL funny really, I wonder when this became less of a game and more of a job for these people?

Oh and +1 for keeping it real :)

Renvar
12-06-2010, 12:25 PM
yes, my Dwarven Tempest loves his GS DA - with the AP enhancements he does probably almost as much dmg as a human with Khopeshes (I believe there is just a tiny smidgen of difference) & as a dwarf he gets an extra 50 hp which makes up the difference in dmg, especially on a ranger.

But the Human has healing amp. And the AP vs. the feat is also something to consider. On a Ranger, the feat might be more precious. On a fighter, the AP's are precious. Especially if you want that 4th tier of class and racial HP.

Aalric
12-06-2010, 12:34 PM
On a Ranger, the feat might be more precious. On a fighter, the AP's are precious. Especially if you want that 4th tier of class and racial HP.

I was talking about ranger tempests who tend to be somewhat squishy. 50hp there makes a big difference and is th main reason why I don't TR into a HO Ranger - sure, he'd do about 3 more dmg per hit (which is a lot) but he'd be much squishier & have a lower Bab.

But on a fighter or a barb, you have hp galore. So throw away that armour, grab a loincloth for your HO & start swinging your ESOS

grodon9999
12-06-2010, 12:36 PM

DAs are a good choice for a Tempest Ranger because you have the APs to take advantage of the enhancements and you aren't losing out on the crit advantages of a Kensai. My fighter didn't have this option.

The dorf/elf enhancement lines should go up to +4/+4 and should be cheapers than they are. I'm serious, compared to half-orcs with Khopeshes it's not over-powered.

tunabomber
12-06-2010, 01:24 PM
i dunno why everyone thinks khopeshes are so expensive,maybe its because I play on cannith but I see good ones all the time for 50kplat or less on the ah,kinda hard to beat the damage for the price,and they are pretty easily found.

Varr
12-06-2010, 02:22 PM
i dunno why everyone thinks khopeshes are so expensive,maybe its because I play on cannith but I see good ones all the time for 50kplat or less on the ah,kinda hard to beat the damage for the price,and they are pretty easily found.

That is because Varr won't use ugly khopeshes.....I run Canniths econnomy!!!!

LordSemaj
12-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I was talking about ranger tempests who tend to be somewhat squishy. 50hp there makes a big difference and is th main reason why I don't TR into a HO Ranger - sure, he'd do about 3 more dmg per hit (which is a lot) but he'd be much squishier & have a lower Bab.

But on a fighter or a barb, you have hp galore. So throw away that armour, grab a loincloth for your HO & start swinging your ESOSThose HP galore still got a number of fighters with sizeable hps dropped vs Elite Sulo in VoD. The heal spam couldn't keep up with the dps. Same problem with Harry in Elite Shroud or the swords in the center. Epic Demon Queen has the blades, same issue. Healing Amp vs Hitpoints...

Emili
02-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Chances are, you do out-DPS melee that weren't tanking, on trash. Even a DEX rogue does a lot of damage when she's getting sneak attack. You probably fall pretty far behind on the bosses, though. A top-DPS STR-Rogue can still out-DPS a Barb vs 50% Fort, but I'm guess yours don't.

And kill counts aren't a great measure of DPS where it really counts. My Bard regularly gets top kills in ToD as long as I'm not assigned to scroll healing. Probably because I use LitIIs that tear through trash quite nicely, but are at best only slightly above even with MinIIs vs. the Bosses. I also often kill the eles, and Vorpal the dogs, in part 1.

Basically, I'm often the first to peel off the bosses to take care of trash, because my Bard is better geared for fighting trash over Bosses. I suspect you play similarly on your Rogue.

I summed that all up sayiing you cannot measure DPS by kill counts... Fact is you cannot measure it by agro stealing nor even hate tanking. There is a rather large thread on the subject where Eladrin intervines and states what he knows of the "Threat, Reduction and Agro" code.

muffinlad
02-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Play with what ever weapon you want...but have a plan for why you are playing with it, and make sure the plan works.

You can kill Harry with a Unicycle for all I care, just get it done.

Now...if someone ASKS you what weapon to choose, and you start telling them how great Bastard Swords are and that Khopesh's suck...then I will not remain silent.

muffinpesh

Zhorge
03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Longbows are for Elves
Rapiers for Rogues

Anything else?

What is an ESoS?

Zhorge
03-03-2011, 02:10 PM
This!! I couldnt say it better - As Uber as most people are that post on this forum, you would think the small percentage point difference would be made up by their pure awesomeness!!! But - NO!!! You do .55% less dps than this build so you SUCK!!! LOL funny really, I wonder when this became less of a game and more of a job for these people?

Oh and +1 for keeping it real :)

Thank you...

And this comes from the perspective that while I don't want to severely gimp any toon I play, I don't want to 'just another cookie cutter' build. And with the recognition that I'm play a GAME that is supposed to be FUN and not a job where we're fighting over $1 more of the bonus pool for some inane bragging right...

AylinIsAwesome
03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
What is an ESoS?

Epic Sword of Shadows. It's a +10 Greatsword with 5d6 Base damage, crits on a 15-20 for three times the damage, and has a red and a colourless slot. Materials are from the Epic Vault of Night quests.

ArchStriker
03-05-2011, 10:58 PM
That's proposterous!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your just on the noob server orien... :P lol