PDA

View Full Version : Gianthold - only needs 9 of each relic now!

Zion_Halcyon
12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Some old timers might not like this, but for me, in leveling my first toon to 20, one of the major things that was NOT FUN in my grind was getting 20 of each relic to advance the quest to Gianthold Tor.

For me, this is excellent news, as I plan on TRing my toon soon, and its nice to know the second go round is going to be a lot more fun the next spin!

Quikster
12-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Some old timers might not like this, but for me, in leveling my first toon to 20, one of the major things that was NOT FUN in my grind was getting 20 of each relic to advance the quest to Gianthold Tor.

For me, this is excellent news, as I plan on TRing my toon soon, and its nice to know the second go round is going to be a lot more fun the next spin!

I dont mind either way.

Youll find that getting 20 of each is much easier on a tr though as the gh xp is nice for that level.

PNellesen
12-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Wow - really? 9 now? While getting 20 of each was kind of a grind, I didn't find it all that difficult either - relics seemed to drop in almost every rare chest out there when I ran them. Made flagging for TOR that much sweeter. My lowbie Ranger will be happy, though, because by the time he gets to GH, one of my other characters will likely have at least a dozen of each to give him.

Templarion
12-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Finally.

This is only good news. I hope they didn't lower the drop rates.

Maelphistez
12-03-2010, 11:10 AM
After that first 60, it gets progressively easier to get the next 60 anyways. After you have a TR or two, you'll probably end up feeding them into your guild or to the AH since you'll run GH enough to have them overflowing your collectible bags. It is nice that they've made this a bit less grindy, but it really only affects new and unguilded players as far as I can tell.

Although, you might be a lot more likely to see people running around in the X-crafted armors after this change.

Shaamis
12-03-2010, 11:25 AM
GH raid was the first raid that you didnt have to re-qualify from the start after each time, THAT's why the initial flag was so difficult to get.

Now that the restrictions on earlier raids have been loosened, it's only natural they loosen this raid flagging requirements as well.

I'm just wondering why they went with 9 per, instead of an even 10 per.......

Zenako
12-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Nine quests? in the zone?

Prison, Madstone, Crucible
Cabal, Maze, Trial
Cry, Foundation, Feast

then you get to Tor and and the Raid?

At least that would be a semi logical basis...

Bracosius
12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
This is a good change, 9 seems like the appropriate amount. I have been running my TR's with a friend new to the game, after doing Gianthold, normal, hard, elite he had 11, 9, and 13 for relics. I supplemented him from my TR so we could flag Tor, but if the requirement would have been 9, I would not of had too. So again, 9 seems like a good number.

Tanka
12-03-2010, 11:49 AM
GH raid was the first raid that you didnt have to re-qualify from the start after each time
No, Titan was. It just had that huge pre-raid to go through that most people still don't know to properly complete.

herzkos
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
like, omg, what am i gonna do with my hundreds of relics now . . .

all that aside, good change they are making. i remember what a pain in the behind it was
to grind out relics on my first character there. (in fact don't think i got 20 total before rerolling him)

NinjaCereal
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm not gonna complain. I remember hating Gianthold because of how long it was taking to get those relics.

Which reminds me, I need to work on getting those scales. Only 21 to go! :D

krud
12-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Aw man! I just turned in my 60 relics. I want a refund!

Seriously, the xp I got from grinding the 60 relics (if you can call it a grind) was well worth it.

Valindria
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I like this change. I You still have to do the flagging quests and you'll still have to turn in some relics.

I assume the collectibles armor amounts have not changed?

dkyle
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Well, guess I'll be waiting until U8 to turn mine in on my Monk... At least I don't have to grind for more as I expected I might.

Thanks for the thread!

der_kluge
12-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Holy Awesome. My Cleric grinded 60 of those things out, and then I worked my butt off to get 60 more for my Bard - which she still has in her inventory.

But I hesitated before turning them in, because I wasn't sure if I wanted her, or my wiz/rog to do Tor.

Now, I don't have to choose. That's awesome!

holfrar
12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I would have prefered it if they put it up to 29 of each relic to turn in...
......and dropped the Crucible as one of the flagging quests :)

dkyle
12-03-2010, 12:39 PM

No thanks. That's the one I find easiest to solo!

On a Monk at least...

LordPiglet
12-03-2010, 12:40 PM

um, I think I got like 30 of each my second go around. You're grinding for the xp, the relics become a by product anyways.

Hokonoso
12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
only my double tr's do gh for xp, gh xp per min is much slower than ALL other quests in that lvl range so i perfer to skip it. making the requirement only 9 will be very useful for my single TRs coming up as i know i wont need to grind these much at all to get what i need, just a few norms and elite for favor should get me 9 of each instead of borrowing them like i always end up doing. hell i still got a lvl 20 that isnt tor flagged because of how annoying this is.

and titan had to be pre-flagged each time because of the super long pre-quest and sigil system, reaver was the first raid with no pre-flagging whatsoever, so whoever said that earlier is correct. to this day the titan, dq and dragon still have a pre-raid which makes them annoying, the only reason dq is done at all is because it has epic difficulty now, otherwise we wouldnt bother... abbot is still the best flagging system imo, super fun, long, and difficult with no pre-quest to get in your way every 2days 18hrs.

Gulnar13
12-03-2010, 12:52 PM
abbot is still the best flagging system imo, super fun, long, and difficult with no pre-quest to get in your way every 2days 18hrs.

Abbot would be the best if not for the sheer randomness involved. Some peoples have ran those quest for months, without getting that last sigil piece.

dkyle
12-03-2010, 12:52 PM
only my double tr's do gh for xp, gh xp per min is much slower than ALL other quests in that lvl range so i perfer to skip it.

In my experience, Feast or Famine, Foundation and Trial by Fire are each 1000+ XP/min, and they can essentially be window farmed while soloing by dropping the quest, and stepping up the entrance again. They're not Shadow Crypt, or Wiz-king, but that's respectable XP/min.

Junts
12-03-2010, 12:55 PM
This is nice primarily because it's not worth grinding dragon relics for exp (only cry for help is worth repeating more than 1/difficulty on that side) and not worth grinding giant either unless you have a nice group to get trap bonus from maze of madness (without it, only trial is worth repeating).

madstone crater is balls bad exp for time these days.

I tend to not get much more than 10 giant/elf relics per tr, so I'm pretty happy with this: i actually skipped tor and reaver exp on my last 34 pt life just because I didn't feel like borrowing, buying or earning an extra 20 relics from those two sides of GH.

At 9, I will actually flag on intermediate lives.

Junts
12-03-2010, 12:58 PM
In my experience, Feast or Famine, Foundation and Trial by Fire are each 1000+ XP/min, and they can essentially be window farmed while soloing by dropping the quest, and stepping up the entrance again. They're not Shadow Crypt, or Wiz-king, but that's respectable XP/min.

The problem is with a 34 pt character, they're competing with your need to flag for Litany which is often a level and a half on its own - my last 34 pt life did about 2 action points in gianthold before being exp capped to have to take 16, at whichpoint it was litany > vale > toodles.

The incredible goodness that is vol/gop/litany exp per minute (and the requisite time to flag for litany's 2500 exp per minute or whatever the hell it is for you) on a 32 or 34 pt build will bypass gianthold even if you want to run it for some reason.

note: if you aren't constantly using 20% exp pots, your experience my vary and you may actually have time to run gianthold.

k1ngp1n
12-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Everyone sell your relics nao!

gigobyte
12-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Wait.. can someone explain exactly what you are all talking about?? It seems like you're saying that gianthold only needs 9 of each relic to flag, but that would be too good to be true... wouldn't it?

Edit: Just saw it on the release notes. :D

Uska
12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Hmm not sure how I feel about that well it does make it easier for me to decide where to place my next allotment of relics

Zenako
12-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Bah humbug....

back in the day when relics only droped occasionaly in the end chests, that was when someone entering Tor knew they were good and ready!:eek:

That was back when Toons were Toons and not mere shadow puppets...:D

back when extreme repetition penalties were the norm on PotP. Named loot was the quest, the death of many a toon in those fickle halls...

When the watery tunnels of death in Crucible were more like a garbage disposal than a mere quest obstacle...many a character was reduced to bloody bits in that passage, or merely carried in soul stone form...

When that crazy enchanter Pat was almost unkillable with some groups, despite having breezed thru the rest of his hallways...

When Madstone, even with all those shrines, pushed groups to the limit to complete without wipes, with the end boss often taking more than one run at him to finish...

When death by purple bubbles was feared...

this new generation of whippersnappers is having it so easy these days...bah humbug:D

Talon_Moonshadow
12-03-2010, 01:28 PM
The alt-a-holic in me loves this. :)

60 isn't that big of a grind, but times this by all the alts I have, and a few TRs... (MYDDO says I have 50ish, and that is only one acount!)

And then it becomes one hell of a grind.

Gianthold is fun, but not that fun.

And I'd like to actually buy some of that relic armor before I lvl up high enough to get something a whole lot better.

Anyway, good change IMO.

brian14
12-03-2010, 01:29 PM
So that the total number of relics you need to turn in is 3^3?

Bogenbroom
12-03-2010, 01:30 PM
When GH was end game, or even near end game, 20 made sense, but now that it is effectively mid-game 9 is an appropriate number.

dkyle
12-03-2010, 01:36 PM
The problem is with a 34 pt character, they're competing with your need to flag for Litany which is often a level and a half on its own - my last 34 pt life did about 2 action points in gianthold before being exp capped to have to take 16, at whichpoint it was litany > vale > toodles.

Those quests I listed are level 13, so I do them at level 14. The Litany-flagging quests are level 14, so I do them at level 15. The only other level 13 quest currently in the game is Mired in Kobolds, which is not seem to be good XP/min (haven't really given it much of a chance, though). U8 will introduce some new ones, but new quests seem to be heavy on story, light on good XP.

Madstone, PoP, and Crucible all compete with Litany-flagging quests, but those aren't that great of XP. Maybe PoP is, but my solo runs always seem to get messed up by my hireling frying himself, or other issues, and groups tend to be slow.

Sure is convenient. Each relic has a quest that provides them I find worth grinding (Feast: Elven, Foundation: Dragon, Trial: Giant) till ransack (8 relics), and one quest only worth doing once.

Hokonoso
12-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Abbot would be the best if not for the sheer randomness involved. Some peoples have ran those quest for months, without getting that last sigil piece.

i have a hard time of believing this. i run this quests at least 8 times each (less for gop/inferno depending on group makeup), and i always start with fleshmakers cause it requires 2 ppl and end with vol cause it is easiest/most fun. by the time im done doing fleshmakers 8 times i always have sigil pieces 5-8 (the random ones) ive tr'd many times and never once has this not been the case! of course i run with the same ppl and we always pass/share the pieces till we get them full etc... but we always end up not having to repeat any quests for sigils at the end of the xp farm there. i know random is random but i have flagged too many characters for litany to have never run into this problem. it is to the point that i dont get any extras cause i know in my next life ill have plenty of time to get all sigil pieces again!

i can understand you soloing vol 8 times and not getting the 5 pieces out of there, but if you have a group of 3-4 ppl, you are almost guarantee'd to see pieces 5-8 at least once if not twice due to the high % of it happening. you times this by 4 quests and your 4 man party now has a full sigil and is destroying extras!

Vordax
12-03-2010, 01:43 PM

Switch that to dropping madstone, thats a long boring quest. Crucible is fast, fun and good XP.

Vordax

markusthelion
12-03-2010, 01:52 PM

/signed....ran those quests till I'm sick to death of them.....still need peice 6, bleh screw abbot.

Junts
12-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Those quests I listed are level 13, so I do them at level 14. The Litany-flagging quests are level 14, so I do them at level 15. The only other level 13 quest currently in the game is Mired in Kobolds, which is not seem to be good XP/min (haven't really given it much of a chance, though). U8 will introduce some new ones, but new quests seem to be heavy on story, light on good XP.

Madstone, PoP, and Crucible all compete with Litany-flagging quests, but those aren't that great of XP. Maybe PoP is, but my solo runs always seem to get messed up by my hireling frying himself, or other issues, and groups tend to be slow.

Sure is convenient. Each relic has a quest that provides them I find worth grinding (Feast: Elven, Foundation: Dragon, Trial: Giant) till ransack (8 relics), and one quest only worth doing once.

In my experience, I typically end up doing several major exp quests on hard or elite because of exp backlogs, even with 36 pt characters. farming wizking on hard and even shadow crypt on elite (and almost always on hard) is pretty typical of my tr-leveling experiences. Since I'm usually doing wizking at 13, I rarely get much out of gh except farming the very best sides (cry, trial, cabal), and often those are farmed on H as well.

Hitting shadow crypt+von3 10 times each tends to out-level you relative to the content you should ideally be running by about 2/3 of a level in my experience. Since von3 scales a lot more with difficulty, I try to do it legitimately on normal (and often even still end up doing hard for at least some of it) and put off shadow crypt, where difficulties are barely distinguishable.

Lithic
12-03-2010, 02:43 PM
In my experience, I typically end up doing several major exp quests on hard or elite because of exp backlogs, even with 36 pt characters. farming wizking on hard and even shadow crypt on elite (and almost always on hard) is pretty typical of my tr-leveling experiences. Since I'm usually doing wizking at 13, I rarely get much out of gh except farming the very best sides (cry, trial, cabal), and often those are farmed on H as well.

You're missing out on foundation. You can get over 2k/min in there with 4 decent people. Average pug group for me does it in 5mins, though I have had groups get 3min completions consistently (which made us farm it 12 times on norm).

Junts
12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
You're missing out on foundation. You can get over 2k/min in there with 4 decent people. Average pug group for me does it in 5mins, though I have had groups get 3min completions consistently (which made us farm it 12 times on norm).

Foundation's kind of the opposite of trial: Trial's basically the same speed whether you solo it or run it with 5 other people. :)

ninjaeli
12-03-2010, 03:33 PM
i always liked the grind in GH because by the time i entered i lvled quickly

underpants
12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
get up on the auction house now while there is still time. They have some value for the next week or so

Deaths_ward
12-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I think one of the benefits people are missing here, is that it might now be viable to repair dragon scale armors with relics instead of your pocket change. Not the biggest bonus, but still notable if you find yourself strapped for cash.

QuantumFX
12-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Personally, I think it’s a good change. Back when Gianthold was introduced the 20 relics represented actually playing the rest of the gianthold content. Now that it’s a stepping stone to higher level content and a raid you pike in twice a week it’s not necessary to pin down players to the area.

like, omg, what am i gonna do with my hundreds of relics now . . .

Repair your dragonscale arm… oh wait… nevermind.

shagath
12-03-2010, 10:18 PM
/ not signed.

I don't like at all easy buttons. 9 relics is a joke. It's hard to do flagging quests without getting 9 relics.. Why not skip whole flagging? And while we are it, why not just give everyone pair of madstone boots and dreamspitters?

Abbot would be the best if not for the sheer randomness involved. Some peoples have ran those quest for months, without getting that last sigil piece.That's just same randomness as doing gh quest 100 times without getting a single relic. It's possible but not very likely. Or shroud 100 times without any large ingredients, possible but not likely. I think these people who have done these for months have done like one solo quest per week or something for months. It's still months but not many runs..

noinfo
12-03-2010, 11:00 PM
/ not signed.

I don't like at all easy buttons. 9 relics is a joke. It's hard to do flagging quests without getting 9 relics.. Why not skip whole flagging? And while we are it, why not just give everyone pair of madstone boots and dreamspitters?

That's just same randomness as doing gh quest 100 times without getting a single relic. It's possible but not very likely. Or shroud 100 times without any large ingredients, possible but not likely. I think these people who have done these for months have done like one solo quest per week or something for months. It's still months but not many runs..

Same reason that other non end game raids have had their flagging mechanics changed. It was fine when GH was end game years ago. You had nothing else to run especially after they nerfed Abbot. Run them all into the ground, but really this type of flagging is not hard it is tedious. My last toon skipped Tor and Reaver all together, wasn't a TR so just blew through it all together, farming 20 relics of each is just a grind to fill in time between content, nothing else. With 9 of each required no worries, I have that many and will actually go back.

Seriously pretty much all those quests can be soloed for the relics, but why? Just to get into the Pre-Raid before the grind for the actual Raid Loot?

No thanks, best change in a long time...

Lorien_the_First_One
12-03-2010, 11:35 PM

3 quests per section, on n/h/e...9

Perfect, should have always been that way...well that or make it 0. I still think flagging quests should be enough to FLAG you.

Nysrock
12-04-2010, 01:11 AM
This will be great news to on guy I partied with in GH. He was trying to flag for Tor and turned in his relics. Then he asked "Ok, so what do I do with the armor I got now?". Seems he thought you had to give them to the GH armor crafters. :D

Ryiah
12-04-2010, 05:09 AM
I don't like at all easy buttons. 9 relics is a joke.
Personally I'm sick of farming relics. On a non-TR character I typically out-level the quests before I have all my relics. I certainly don't want to spend time farming them more than is necessary and I don't want to feel forced to buy them off the auction house just because someone thinks there shouldn't be an "easy button".

This isn't even an "easy button". If you want challenge, you should have legitimate challenge. This "quest" isn't a challenge. It's tedious.

bryanmeerkat
12-04-2010, 06:48 AM

Really ? Wow they do know they have to run each of the four quests for 1-4 , and dont solo if you want to increase your chance of getting sorted . Often people will be looking for one bit in particular and will be happy to pass other bits to you . Got mine in about 2 laps of each . ( had already done about 4-5 vol solos before i started to concentrate on doing the actual flagging )

I had out leveled GH by the time I knew that i should of been doing flagging as this was my first toon , Im slowly going round now at level 19 getting my flags sorted . Finishing gianthold was the one i was dreading , so was very pleased to see this announcement .

learst
12-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Yes!! *falls down on knees and gives praise*

Even on my first ever newbie toon in DDO, this was the single most annoying thing for me in DDO. Considering it's 20 relics of each type, and i can't solo on my bard I had to join other groups running GH quest and I ended with different types of relics. (Before the flames come on, it was my first toon on a pure spellsinger bard)

I was really glad they upped the relic drop rate in a previous update (7? 8?) where i ran two quests on normal and both drop 3 relics each time. I'm glad they finally lowered the relic requirement. Now I don't have to wait till lvl 17 to finally do Reaver's Raid!

Krag
12-04-2010, 07:41 AM
I approve of the change.
Now it is worth getting my TR toons flagged each life.

sweez
12-04-2010, 09:04 AM
The only other level 13 quest currently in the game is Mired in Kobolds, which is not seem to be good XP/min (haven't really given it much of a chance, though).

It's actually decent if you have a quick way of disposing the crystals - mad run to the end, pop in, kill baby dragon, ddoor out. 2-3 minutes max.

Bolo_Grubb
12-04-2010, 09:15 AM
wow guess I will wait to turn mine in and have enough for 2 toons instead of 1

Ojsimpsonsux
12-04-2010, 11:05 AM
THANK GOD. That's all i have to say for now.

KillEveryone
12-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm glad.

I never got into the raid until well after I hit cap. Didn't want to farm relics because it was just boring. I like Gianthold quests but to run them enough times to get enough relics gets boring and I don't like doing rares repeatedly just to get something to get into another quest. I feel like I'm killing rats for their tails when I do rares for the relics.

Flagging quests should get you flagged. I don't feel they should be a grind. I feel the same with the sigil pieces for Litany.

I think there should be a different mechanism to flag and just keep the relics for armors.

Anything that reduces a grind is a good thing.

ragwa1
12-04-2010, 03:17 PM

And thus, the price of relics just dropped by 50%...

Lol, there goes part of my income :)

DANTEIL
12-04-2010, 03:36 PM
This is an awesome change that I have wished for many times. As many people have pointed out, it made more sense when this was endgame content, but now farming 20 x 3 relics is such a pain that you either don't do it at all, or accept that you are going to overlevel the raid by the time you are done. +1 to sanity!

Zenako
12-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Well it looks like getting relics for flagging will be pretty trivial now.

Have a character who has only run explorers chests and the 6 lesser quests once each on normal so far and has 13, 11 and 8 relics to date, without even doing the BIG three or farming for more rares on the way back out. Most of the time, I usually would end up right around 20 each on characters flagging anyway, so did not view it as much if any of an obstacle.

Harncw
12-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I hope whomever it is that has been hoarding the relics on Khyber, loses their shirt.

Irinis
12-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Finally.

This is only good news. I hope they didn't lower the drop rates.

Agreed and signed enthusiastically!

I have a level 20 that's still not flagged, a level 12 coming up, and the only way I flagged the 2 characters that are was through AH and generosity of friends. They were just NOT dropping for me except for Giant relics. I have 13 of those left, 4 Elven and 3 Dragon! Maybe in another few months of grinding after this change, I can get my level 20 flagged for Tor, and another few months for the level 12. lol

Rumbaar
12-04-2010, 05:56 PM
A much welcomed changed. Special since Gianthold is no longer end game content anymore.

Frostwhisperer
12-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh frabjulous day! Callooh! Callayh! I chortle in mah joy

sirgog
12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
And thus, the price of relics just dropped by 50%...

Lol, there goes part of my income :)

They'll tank more than that. We'll be back to the old days of 1k PP relics.

Edit: Great change though. The worst flagging grind is gone (except the Boots of Anchoring, but they are for an endgame raid).

moorewr
12-05-2010, 07:56 AM
They'll tank more than that. We'll be back to the old days of 1k PP relics.

Edit: Great change though. The worst flagging grind is gone (except the Boots of Anchoring, but they are for an endgame raid).

I'd rate the Abbot Sigil as the worst flagging. It can be done start to finish quicker than relics, but only with a lot of luck and a party of people flagging with you..

Schwarzie
12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
/ not signed.
I have asked this at least 10 other people who also wrote such BS.

What is the connection between easy button and grind?

Getting 20 Relics is just grinding easy quests you beat the frst time without any effort. Its a test of patience. What in gods name has that to do with difficulty?

The changes to Tear are an easy button. The jump stones in Coal are an easy button. A reduction of grind is just protection of your sanity.

KillEveryone
12-05-2010, 09:51 AM
The jump stones in Coal

I also consider to be a...

protection of your sanity.

As far as grind goes...I also don't understand why people consider a reduction in grind an easy button.

Any reduction in grind is good. To me a grind=boring.

There is no challange or difficulty, just mind numbing boring. If I can stomp all over a quest on normal to get what I need, why make me repeat it again?

Why should I kill all those rares just for rat tails(relics)?

Lorien_the_First_One
12-05-2010, 10:14 AM
As far as grind goes...I also don't understand why people consider a reduction in grind an easy button.

Any reduction in grind is good. To me a grind=boring.

There is no challange or difficulty, just mind numbing boring. If I can stomp all over a quest on normal to get what I need, why make me repeat it again?

They have been brainwashed by WoW and its cloans into thinking grinding=content/challenge.

bryanmeerkat
12-05-2010, 10:16 AM
If you can get 9 of these items you can get 20 , it dosent make make it any harder the more you have to get .

Ryiah
12-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Getting 20 Relics is just grinding easy quests you beat the frst time without any effort. Its a test of patience. What in gods name has that to do with difficulty?
Grinding out the 20 relics made far more sense back when DDO was on a monthly subscription. After all, the longer the player took to get to cap and all geared out, the longer they'd have to stay subscribed. That's basically the same reason why World of Warcraft has all those annoying "grind this many items" type quests. They're meant to keep you busy and subscribed longer.