PDA

View Full Version : Frenzied Tempest?

orko
11-29-2010, 09:21 PM
I am thinking of rolling a new character and was thinking of making it a dwarf with 6 lvls barbarian, 12 ranger and the last two lvls fighter, ranger or rouge.
The plan is basically to make a tempest ranger with rages and frenzy from the frenzied berzerker prestige enhancement wielding dwarven waraxes for glancing blows (btw does the feats giving better glancing blows (i.e. THF) give better glancing blows with dwarven axes and bastard swords as well?)

I guess my question about the build is if it is a viable build.
Would it preform well as a melee dps guy?

Kriogen
11-30-2010, 03:02 AM
...wielding dwarven waraxes for glancing blows...
I think, it does not work with TWF mode (2x axe). Single axe only.

orko
11-30-2010, 03:28 AM
I think, it does not work with TWF mode (2x axe). Single axe only.

Hmmm, that blows. Still DAxes are great weapons.
My main question still stands though. Is the Frenzied Tempest a good build?

vrobel
11-30-2010, 03:32 AM
12 fighter/6 barbarian /2 monk or rogue is a good one and 12 barb/6fighter/2 rog or monk is also a good choice 12barb/6ranger is not as good as the kensia one.

Kriogen
11-30-2010, 03:39 AM
.. Is the Frenzied Tempest a good build?
It's OK. Personaly I'd prefer Ranger12/Fighter6 (kensai) or rogue7 for 12/6/2 type split.

For last two levels:
- ranger 2 (so ranger 14) for Freedom of Movement spell.
- fighter 2. Extra 2 feats, attack speed boost (very nice), +1 STR enhancement
- rogue 2. Attack speed boost, sneak attack, skills.

If you are very into damage, then attack speed boost helps alot. So rogue or fighter. If you are low on feats, then the only option is fighter. If not, it has more to do with taste, style.

orko
11-30-2010, 03:40 AM
I already have a tempest1 kopeshkensei2 (going on 3) as well as a pure barb.
What I was thinking was the increased DPS of rages and frenzy while dualwielding as a tempest (and increased con as an added bonus). Is it worth the six lvls of Barbarian instead of more lvls ranger?

Lord_WC
11-30-2010, 04:27 AM
I already have a tempest1 kopeshkensei2 (going on 3) as well as a pure barb.
What I was thinking was the increased DPS of rages and frenzy while dualwielding as a tempest (and increased con as an added bonus). Is it worth the six lvls of Barbarian instead of more lvls ranger?

It's the other way around, going 12 ranger instead of 18 barb is a dps loss:

12 ranger:
- +3/+7 favored attack/damage (for 3 subtypes)
- +1 attack bonus
- +20% offhand proc (it's about 8% total damage)
- +3 ac

12 barb:
- +12 str while raging, translates to +6/+6
- 4/- dr
- -3/+3 from PA enhancement
- +1 crit multiplier (about 8% damage increase on a x3 weapon)
- +7 vicious damage

all in all a ranger nets you +8% total damage, +3 ac and situational +3/+7.
a 12 FB2 nets you +8% against crittable mobs, a ton of more hp, 4/- dr and +3/+16.

From dps point of view barb>>ranger. Always.

Doxmaster
11-30-2010, 04:35 AM
12 fighter/6 barbarian /2 monk or rogue is a good one and 12 barb/6fighter/2 rog or monk is also a good choice 12barb/6ranger is not as good as the kensia one.

You are aware that you cannot have monk and barbarian levels at the same time, are you not? To take a monk level or be a monk at all, you must be Lawful. To take a barbarian level or be a barbarian at all, you cannot be lawful.

vrobel
11-30-2010, 04:42 AM
then 12 barb/6fighter/2 rog

dormetheus
11-30-2010, 04:55 AM
You could go the blitz build as they suggest (12 fighter/6 barb/ 2 rogue) which is a really great build, BUT, if you're looking for a good tempest barb build, try 6 barb/ 6 ranger / 8 fighter.

I've leveled one to 18 so far. It's a bit of a complex build, but it's perfectly easy to level, self-heals when needed, and does top-end dps, especially against high fort mobs. I suggest WF or Horc. It's been my new favorite dps toon and I just can't stop playing him!

I'll give you an updated version if you're interested, the one I've posted is a bit wonky with feat selection order.

orko
11-30-2010, 05:13 AM
if you're looking for a good tempest barb build, try 6 barb/ 6 ranger / 8 fighter.

I'll give you an updated version if you're interested, the one I've posted is a bit wonky with feat selection order.

This acctually looks quite tempting.
I quite like the utility of the ranger and I´ve always had a soft spot for fighters.
Why not 8 ranger instead of fighter though?

I just rolled a dorf ranger4 to start with.
I went with a dorf since I have quite a few DAxes laying around for lvls 4 to about 14 as well as som dorf-exclusive gear.

Perhaps a Frenzied Tempest Kensei is the way to go :)

One thing to note though is that I almost exclusively duo + followers (clerics if my roommate isn´t playing a cleric).

An updated version would be appreciated.

Cheers /Orko

dormetheus
12-01-2010, 01:21 AM
6-8 fighter is going to pick you up another level of haste boost, fighter strat III (if you've got the ap), +1 more damage from the weapon spec enhancements, and your final feat.

The first version of this build: Ba'al (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=214036)

The way I actually leveled it IIRC:

1 rng: FE Undead; Toughness
2 barb
3 rng: PA
4 rng
5 rng
6 rng WF: Slash (?)
7 rng
8 barb
9 fighter: Exotic Weapon Prof: Khopesh, IC: Slash
10 barb
11 fighter: GTWF (eat a +2 Dex tome before this level)
12 fighter: Stunning Blow
13 barb
14 barb
15 barb: Cleave (get frenzied)
16 fighter: Weapon Spec Slash
17 fighter
18 fighter: Dodge; Mobility (Get Kensai I)
19 fighter
20 fighter: Spring Attack (Get Tempest I)

That's been my plan, at least. Tell me if you enjoy it!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to list your second FE: Evil Outsider (and you might want to change from undead to giant to construct for easier leveling)