PDA

View Full Version : Returning player - 'best' melee build?

Cold_Stele
11-28-2010, 05:48 AM
I'm back after a loooong break (left just prior to raising cap to 20). Looking to respec/TR my main (pure Fighter). What's really strong now in the melee field?

Looking for (in order of priority) -

1. Very high DPS
2. Decent (or better) AC ... is a high enough AC even achievable end game?
3. Decent saves
4. Possibility some utility

I have a Dex Ranger/Monk 15/1 who used to do this but he's probably taken a hit since W/P got nerfed. Also have a couple of Barbs for pure DPS.

LAWPRE
12-04-2010, 09:38 PM
in order to give the best advice, there are a couple of questions in order to fine tune the response.

How many classes have you gotten to level 20?

Have you looked at any of the Prestige Enhancements?

unbongwah
12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Take a look at Big Rock Candy (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=198820): high AC, good DPS, UMD, Evasion.

Loromir
12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
There are several multiclass builds listed on the forums that are hi DPS toons. Half Orc Barb would probably be your best bet for Pure DPS tho. Max Str & Max Con

Renvar
12-07-2010, 09:57 AM
If you are looking for pure DPS, the pure TWF Kensai Fighter with Khopeshes or Nips(Heavy Picks) is still pretty tough to beat. THe FBIII Barb is also a good choice.

AC is going to cost you too much DPS to get functional, imo.

If you want to sacrifice a small amount of DPS for some saves and utility here are some splashes I've found fun:

18/2 Fighter Rogue - Evasion + UMD.

18/2 Fighter Monk - Evasion + Better Saves + Feats + Some AC (not great)

12/6/2 Fighter/Ranger/Rogue(or monk) - Evasion, Healing, UMD, better saves, rams might, still very strong dps. Kensai II and Tempest I.

Aaxeyu
12-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm back after a loooong break (left just prior to raising cap to 20). Looking to respec/TR my main (pure Fighter). What's really strong now in the melee field?

1. Very high DPS
3. Decent saves

I have a Dex Ranger/Monk 15/1 who used to do this but he's probably taken a hit since W/P got nerfed. Also have a couple of Barbs for pure DPS.

If you want DPS you should go pure rogue or pure fighter.

AC is not good these days, you can't really have a good AC without having **** DPS, no matter how much gear you got.

If you want more than just DPS, then perhaps you can consider something like this: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=288851

Goldeneye
12-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Epic Sword of Shadow Wielding Half-Orc Pure Fighter! (Or barb, your preference.)

Ranger, Rogue, Paladin can situationally do more dps depending on fight/quest.

Monk is best for survivability.... Good AC, and the best stunner!... but overall DPS is slightly lower.

Dark-Star
12-07-2010, 12:47 PM

1. Very high DPS
3. Decent saves

AC is dead once you hit epics.

What are describing is a pure 20th monk, light or dark focused will work. That would be my recommendation to you as your first character back.

Qezuzu
12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
A well-built Pure Rogue is the King of DPS when getting Sneak Attacks.

But they have lower HP and a more complex playstyle than other Melees so for your first character I wouldn't go that route. They are also notoriously easy to gimp.

BlackPlague
12-07-2010, 12:58 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=264744 If you have a Barb and want to TR him/her. EDIT My DDOed Arkhaon- If you have GS picks to go along with those Deathnips then He would be a perfect choice for a Blittz Tr.

If you have a EPIC SOS (break time = no obviously), or can easily obtain the pieces then 20 Half orc Fighter is a less clicky oriented option. Both offer EXTREME Dips.

Make your way across the Fighter, Barb and Rogue forums and you'll come across many arguments.

As far as AC goes it's pretty much worthless. (In the sense that if you're going for DPS, you will NOT GET an ac worthwhile without stretching yourself thin and taking away from your main objective.)

High DPS, damage mitigation and healing amp are keystones now.
Stunning Blow, Trip, and Sap are your AC.
With either of these builds you'll be able to kill most enemies before needing ac.

Also Welcome back, you'll find that some Casters are using lots of Enchantment based Croud Control (Holds)

Cold_Stele
12-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Here's the two builds I'm considering, once I'm established again I'll most likely TR to Half-Orc versions -

1. Pure Kensai
2. Blitz

I'll stick with my GS Khopeshes (or possibly craft GS Falchion if I go pure Kensai?) until I can upgrade my SOS.

Does anyone have an up to date DPS calculator so I can compare the two?

Goldeneye
12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Only Epic THF weapons (Sos, hellstroke, xuum) can compare to Dual Greensteel Khopeshes.

Even then, Dual LitII khopeshes are very close to Epic Sword of Shadow.

Summary: don't make a gs falchion

Goldeneye
12-07-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd say Blitz and Pure Kensai are on-par.

Blitz will have higher strength, vicious damage and UMD
Pure Fighter will have +1 crit range (My wf kensei gets 14-20 w/ eSoS :) ), and 10% doublestrike chance from capstone.

Cold_Stele
12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
OK here's my dilemma.

If DPS is equal then Blitz has the following issues -

Pros

Sprint Boost
+10% Movement Speed
UMD
Evasion

(all great)

Cons

Extra STR, CON + Rage duration come from Barb PL that could get nerfed.

Really tough decision :(

Goldeneye
12-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I can't find the math, but I remember seeing that pure fighter is slightly ahead of blitz.
However, I have no sources to support that argument atm.

Think of it this way:
Extra STR + Sneak attack + vicious isn't going to make up for:

+10% doublestrike. (in theory: every 20 swings, you make 22 hits)
+1 crit range (on average, ever 20 swings, you get 1 more crit.)

Drona
12-08-2010, 04:57 AM
I'd say Blitz and Pure Kensai are on-par.

Blitz will have higher strength, vicious damage and UMD
Pure Fighter will have +1 crit range (My wf kensei gets 14-20 w/ eSoS :) ), and 10% doublestrike chance from capstone.

***!! crit range 14-20??!! are u serious?!!! what is the normal/crit damage u deal??

i knew my pure barb lvl 20 is a GIMP and this post has proved it!!!!!!

Cold_Stele
12-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Epic SOS and SOS crit on 15-20. The extra +1 comes from Kensai III.