PDA

View Full Version : Armor Kit Pricing

sacredguyver
11-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I knew it wouldn't last. Really, I did. Preview kits for 1 TP, no problem. It'll only add up if you buy a lot of them at one time. 15 TP for a permanent version was nice to test with, and I specify "test" because that's just what it was, a test.

Undoubtedly prices were going to go up, but an increase of 13 times the original?!

Go check it out. I'll wait here...

Ok, back? Good. See what I mean? The permanent kits are now 195 TP! :eek:
ONE HUNDRED, NINETY-FIVE POINTS.

I seriously hope that those prices don't make it to live. I'll repeat myself again, I knew to expect a price increase when armor kits go live, but this seems overly excessive. 50 or 75 TP would be much more reasonable, and even 100 TP would be close, but come on, Turbine. Not everyone has access to Mommy's or Daddy's credit card or the time to farm for favor across servers. Especially if the TP earned from favor farming is put to something more useful, like Adventure Packs.

If nothing more is done regarding Armor Kits, at least reconsider pricing once Update 8 goes live.

Mister_Peace
11-23-2010, 12:41 PM
And you have the option of purchasing a separate kit for each suit of armor.

Jay203
11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
i say 50tp for the permanent version is a fair price
anything over 100 is just way over priced for a gimmick

stoopid_cowboy
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
BUMMERZ!!!!
I was excited about the new armors until I read this.
195tp??? No thank you!
I am like most DDO'ers and have several characters that I would LOVE put add the skins to. But for that price, I will continue to look like the masses in my DT armor.
From a "sales and customer service" perspective, bad move... Too bad there will not be anyone from the marketing department reading this string. If for some reason they do, I would dearly love to discuss this with them...

yuda :(

JeffreyGator
11-23-2010, 01:11 PM
You need to expect something that costs much more to develop than hairstyles and colors to cost more to get.

It probably takes only a couple of person days to add a hairstyle perhaps a development week with art and programming and test. If turbine makes a quarter from each 50-75 pt hairstyle, they then need to sell 10,000 of that style before they make up the investment.

At 200 points that are possibly making 75 cents maybe only 50 cents maybe a dollar. BUt there is probably at least 3-4 person months that they have to recoup for adding the new system. They are probably needing to sell 30-50k of these.

I don't know if pricing it lower and needing to sell twice as many is going to give them the ROI that they need.

Anthios888
11-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I'll pay, but I need to be able to preview it. I burned way too many dollars on hairstyles with bugged bald spots that hair colors looked nothing like the description I -love- the idea of cosmetic additions to DDO, but I want control of my customization, not blind luck.

ArkoHighStar
11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
this is fairly typical, it will come in priced a little high and then go on special price on a fairly regular basis

Tumarek
11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Ya wouldnt worry... sales will probably be around 150TP. Not too high imho. It just aint something you put on every armor youhave... just on the ones that matter (and are ugly).

But yeah PRIEVIEW IS A MUST!!!!! chop chop back to the drawing boards and get that figured out. It will also increase sales when people can see how nice their chars could look.

Jee people will be hanging out in that store looking at armors all day and will be much more inclined to spend the money after dreaming for a few hours.

Robi3.0
11-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Ok, back? Good. See what I mean? The permanent kits are now 195 TP! :eek:
ONE HUNDRED, NINETY-FIVE POINTS.

That seems reasonable to me. It is inline with the current costs of cosmetic hats and what not.

EDIT: It should be noted that I think charging people to preview that armor kit is stupid. Preview should be free.

rimble
11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Who buys anything from the Turbine Store at full price? :confused:

Quarterling
11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
I won't need to buy the kits to look unique. Since everybody will be getting them, I will be the only one that looks different from all the rest. AND IT'S FREE!

Lorien_the_First_One
11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
That seems reasonable to me. It is inline with the current costs of cosmetic hats and what not.

EDIT: It should be noted that I think charging people to preview that armor kit is stupid. Preview should be free.

At least they aren't charging you to try it at full price, and then selling you for more TP a "reversion" kit.

Krag
11-23-2010, 02:41 PM
I approve of the armor kits pricing policy.
This way you can spend some cash and actually look unique as opposed to wearing the same suit as the gajillion f2p folks.

dunklezhan
11-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Don't forget they will end up dropping in chests & quest rewards as random loot as well. They are only debuting them in the store unless I read the release notes wrong. So like the mummy pots that drop now. hopefully they will not bind to char/account when they drop though, as that could create a secondary AH market - however even that I suspect won't really take off unless there's a way to preview the skin before bid/submit...

For now this is just not enough fine control over the skins or any free preview facility to make it worth me ever bothering with the fixed selection on offer unless one dropped for me in a chest. Which is a shame cos I was really looking forward to this.

Kominalito
11-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I won't need to buy the kits to look unique. Since everybody will be getting them, I will be the only one that looks different from all the rest. AND IT'S FREE!

agreed. completely.

Sirea
11-23-2010, 04:21 PM

LOL, good point :D

AyumiAmakusa
11-23-2010, 06:31 PM
All I can say is.....$$$

XaatXuun
11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I always thought the 35tp was kinda low, but could easily see them sell between 50 to 100 Tp.
Then it hit me :eek: If it's less then 100TP, it an easy Favor grind to reach, no $'s would have been made from it. The 195 would be a very good price, it only hurts those that are 100% free. It's right on target for the VIP and regular Premium spending Players.
Also low enough after some time even the Free players can get.

yeah at first, I was shocked, and was thinking " man that's just too much now" but I was thinking as a 100% free player, that still needs to save for adventure packs.
After a day or two, I was thinking right, like I when I used to have $ to spend on RL non-essentials

Backley
11-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Don't forget they will end up dropping in chests & quest rewards as random loot as well. They are only debuting them in the store unless I read the release notes wrong. So like the mummy pots that drop now. hopefully they will not bind to char/account when they drop though, as that could create a secondary AH market
From http://www.ddo.com/ddogameinfo/46-game-info/1249-update-8-coming-soon

Cosmetic armor can be found in treasure, bid on at the auction house, or purchased in the DDO Store.
So, it won't be bound from chests. I would think it will be bound from DDO Store, since pretty much everything from there is.

Geodude07
11-24-2010, 07:58 AM
This way you can spend some cash and actually look unique as opposed to wearing the same suit as the gajillion f2p folks.

Or rather that way everyone can buy the same few popular looks and even more people will look the same....

Think about it at least with different armors everyone has a different random look for awhile and then with named items everyone tends to have a few different sets as well....now alot of people may look the same for a long time.

and dont even tell me that people with dragontouched are going to look too much different than they do now

but it is still progress I suppose, just not what people wanted.

AZgreentea
11-24-2010, 08:20 AM
I dont mind 195 TP. What I do mind is having to pay to preview the look. It would be nice if the NPC in the armor shop allowed you to preview it for free (or for ingame gold) from him. Then I wouldnt mind paying 195 TP once I was certain I had the exact one I was looking for. Spending 5 TP to figure out which of the 5 looks I was trying to remember seeing is a little painful. Especially when there will certainly be many, many more by this time next year.

I'm sure it will all be in DDO Wiki, however.

Razcar
11-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Who buys anything from the Turbine Store at full price? :confused:
Guess I'm "who", if there is something I need right then (which very seldom happens to be honest, I'm on the VIP plan) I buy it. I don't "avoid" sales of course, cheaper is better. But I don't wait for them either.

But I guess if you are a premium player you use the store more and and more accustomed to bargain-hunting, since then you have to use TP for practically everything.

Samiusbot
11-24-2010, 10:53 AM
I dont mind 195 TP. What I do mind is having to pay to preview the look. It would be nice if the NPC in the armor shop allowed you to preview it for free (or for ingame gold) from him.

I would bet the programing time to let us have a preview cost a lot more then we think. Maybe more then adding the skins. Why not pay a small token fee for that time.

Would you all be just as happy with a number of dummies already wearing the armor? Vs being able to try it on?

AZgreentea
11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I would bet the programing time to let us have a preview cost a lot more then we think. Maybe more then adding the skins. Why not pay a small token fee for that time.

Would you all be just as happy with a number of dummies already wearing the armor? Vs being able to try it on?
I dont mind paying for the armor skins, I just want to avoid buying something blind. Even the 1 TP is still buying it blind, and I would feel like I couldnt justify spending the TP on possibly the wrong thing. They can roll the cost of the temp armors into the permanent versions.

The dummies might take up a lot of place. You might end up having a building like the Airship Shope. Hopefully I can be satisfied with the inevitable forum post, or Wiki page, but I would feel more comfortable knowing I can try it on MY armor, since they already built that mechanic.

Eladiun
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
From all accounts the store has been a huge boon so maybe I'm wrong but if some of these items were priced lower, I would be inclined to purchase more of them. In my eyes...

lower price + more purchase = more profit vs higher price + fewer purchase

..but I could be totally wrong so I'll just suffer with my standard DT image.

Kza
11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Need to be able to preview everything you buy from store that change toon appearance. Must say its bad thats not implemented at same time as hairstyles/colors. Not fun play yer favvo game and feel cheated now and then.

fuzzy1guy
11-24-2010, 12:57 PM
10 characters x 2 armor sets on average = 3900pts.. = yeah. won't be doing it at all.

Overall... Whoever sets the store prices really does not have any touch with reality. or a basic understanding of economics.

For an item that costs you near nothing to replicate forever. Selling often for lower prices beats selling once in awhile for high prices.

Monroid
11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Srsly, Turbine?

Srsly?

ಠ_ಠ

Natashaelle
11-24-2010, 03:01 PM
I think the point is, overprice it, and it will seriously affect sales.

Make it el cheapo, these things will just FLY out the door, and bring in tons more revenue.

Vellrad
11-24-2010, 04:13 PM
I expected this highly desired and waited featture costing arroung 150-200TP, so I'm not amazed by 195TP price.
I would even gladly paid 250 or maybe 300TP if I could make my wizard look like wearing a shiny set of full plate armor.
But I guess I'll have to wait for it.

Alabore
11-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Speaking of previews, while they keep Lamannia open and running, everybody who can run the client, can effectively get kits for free.
The first issue is partially circumvented - unless you happen to have a VERY large pool of differently dressed characters, and you can't copy/clone all of them on Lamannia.

The issue with individual cost of kits would be partially addressed if they made kits non-disappearing.
They already bind to account, and make armour they're being applied to equally bound - so you can't send gear around without shared banking, or buy kits for other players.

Hats apply their appearance, and stay in your inventory.
You could buy one or two per server, and share them around.
Considering appearance kits won't even provide extra powers/bonuses, making them one-shot like hair tonics might be overkill.

That said, Turbine initially had bards and fvs as store-only hirelings.
Then made them plat-purchasable with newer updates.
We'll see what happens in U9.

:)

Templarion
11-25-2010, 07:39 AM

Seconded... or is this tripled? ...no, it's quadrupled!

MrkGrismer
11-29-2010, 01:30 PM
From what I understand once you apply the cosmetic look to an armor it is bound to that armor, so if you want to apply the same look to different armor you will have to buy/find it again. Am I correct on this?

sacredguyver
11-29-2010, 01:35 PM
From what I understand once you apply the cosmetic look to an armor it is bound to that armor, so if you want to apply the same look to different armor you will have to buy/find it again. Am I correct on this?
That's right, which is why the 195 TP feels too high to me.

yohoia
11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
I also think that it is too expensive, and wonder a bit about the price/demand-modeling they use when they decide on the price for items in the shop. Many people love to play around with looks and cosmetic items (such as hairstyles, hair color, cosmetic armor) should be priced in a way that makes people want to change them - often!. Hair color -- and as it seems cosmetic armor -- is MUCH too expensive. I don't mind buying points (I have quite a bunch of them), and I definitely don't mind spending them, but as it is now I don't buy cosmetic items that often and when I do it is usually hair styles (that are priced correctly). And I am absolutely the kind of player who normally would buy loads of them and would like to change hair styles, colors, and outfits on a weekly basis. I just think the price is too high.

DarkFlash
12-02-2010, 09:27 AM
What I want to know is... Can you trade the kits?
If you can, I see no problem with buying the kit from a "newbie" that thinks 10kpp makes him the richest guy in the world. (Because he has more TP than plats)

sacredguyver
12-02-2010, 10:10 AM
What I want to know is... Can you trade the kits?
Not sure about the kits that are supposedly going to drop as loot, but the kits from the Store are Bound to Account, like most Store items.

Kronos_EXE
12-05-2010, 01:17 PM
195 TP is a bit steep, but I'm sure most players will wait for them to go on sale....

Stev69
12-13-2010, 01:52 PM

How do you think you are going look unique when there is only a limited number of kits (for the time being at least) everyone is going to be wearing the same kits.

I do not approve of the way this system is implemented at all, Turbine also runs LOTRO and they have a much better cosmetic system there where if you find a piece of armour (boots, hats, cloaks etc) you like you can simply pick it up and equip it as cosmetic, and it costs nothing. So why shaft Ddo customers?

natedogg729
12-13-2010, 05:00 PM

I agree with the pricing, but they need to make it more like the hats, where one kit fits all armor.

Midarc
12-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Hmm.
A little too pricey to buy for every character I have.
Definately won't be buying it on anything other than armour I intend to keep for the long term too.

If it was cheaper, I could imagine my vanity overtaking my common sense quite rapidly, and using it on stuff I'd plan on using for a few levels.

Perhaps as more armours are released the price may restructure.
I hope they do lower it, I find myself in agreement with the previous poster regarding many sales at a lower price.
At least, I'd be buying more often rather than carefully as I will be under current pricing.

Entelech
12-14-2010, 01:13 AM
As of this morning, the Leaf kits are on live, and none of the other 4 styles.

The 1-layer, no gear is 150 turbine points

The 2-layer, with-gear is 250.

Personally, I'm thinking about making a male Half Elf Cleric, dressing him up in heavy plate, applying the Red/Tan Leaf 1 skin to him, and making a video of him dancing. I bet if I sent it to Blizzard, their marketing department would give me a lifetime subscription to WoW. They could mock DDO with it in their ads for decades to come.

The tagline for the attack ad? "Yup, in DDO, you have to PAY to look this good."

fuzzy1guy
12-14-2010, 03:33 AM
250? really?

dayum. at 195 i said screwit and forgot all about it. none of them looked good enough for a 195 pricetag.

but 250? holy ****.

That's pathetic.

Alabore
12-14-2010, 06:50 AM
So, my eyes did not play a trick on me.
They DID further raise price - and they actually raised it more for "geared" kits, as if it were an extra feature.

:rolleyes:

Eh, what can we say.
Maybe they decided they were giving away too much, letting people grind for TP, and potentially unlock the whole game for 5 bucks or so.
From what I could see, when LoTRO went F2P, some features stayed VIP-only.

You can't take stuff from people away.
You can raise prices for basic stuff, packs, options, commodities...
Incidentally, no matter how much you actually like or dislike some of those appearance kits, some users will buy them just because they are expensive and "unique".

:)

Razcar
12-14-2010, 08:38 AM
250? really?

dayum. at 195 i said screwit and forgot all about it. none of them looked good enough for a 195 pricetag.

but 250? holy ****.

That's pathetic.
Seems they are charging quite much for new stuff, with the cookie jars being at 495 TP as well. Maybe they want to cash in on the early adapters, and will lower prices later. Or maybe they are desperate to meet some budget goal for the end of the year...

I'm not buying either, because they are both too expensive. If others think the same, let's hope the Turbine marketing people understand that there are no real problems with the products themselves, only with the pricing.

CaseStringer
12-14-2010, 09:03 AM
The WFed community must really be mad. The docents were 350 tps making them a medium Cookie Jar! ;)

Still no word as to why they ditched all the other options they had on Lamannia? There were a few other options there that I liked ALOT better then Leaf.

The cookie jars are way over-priced as well. More than the ArmorKits & BTC! It is cheaper for me to haul these around on a mule (as I have done every year) and dole them out to my Alts as needed. I don't have 25,000 tps laying around to 'outfit' my toons with these 'Luxury Items'. What happened to the concept of 'convinence items'??

----> CASE.

Cauthey
12-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I dont mind 195 TP. What I do mind is having to pay to preview the look. It would be nice if the NPC in the armor shop allowed you to preview it for free (or for ingame gold) from him. Then I wouldnt mind paying 195 TP once I was certain I had the exact one I was looking for. Spending 5 TP to figure out which of the 5 looks I was trying to remember seeing is a little painful. Especially when there will certainly be many, many more by this time next year.

I'm sure it will all be in DDO Wiki, however.

I UNDERSTAND the miniscule pay to preview, but it just took all of the fun out of something that I was really looking forward to. I've spent too many darned TPs on Cookie Jars (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=291560) that I really am going to need to watch myself. And 1 TP here and 1 TP there just to try stuff on isn't going to make it in my TP budget.

It's unfortunate... :(

Backley
12-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Still no word as to why they ditched all the other options they had on Lamannia?
This was the word:

Keep an eye out for additional Armor Appearance Kits that will be coming to the DDO Store in the coming weeks!
So, they are trying to milk TP from first-adopters by releasing a few styles at a time.

Thornton
12-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I have spent a LOT of money buying TP for things that I want. I know it is only 1 TP here and there, but there is just no way that I am going to pay for the priviledge of seeing what the armor is going to look like.

natedogg729
12-14-2010, 01:31 PM
250? really?

but 250? holy ****.

That's pathetic.

250TP... lol
Looking at the prices with a Warforged those kits are priced at 350TP, if Turbine really wanted to sell more they should price the kits at 25-50TP per even 100TP per would be acceptable, then people who switch between armors are more likely to buy them so as to make ALL their armor look similar, but current pricing they may sell less but they are still making close to the same amount. IMO the kits make a Warforged look like a joke, if I were an enemy and saw someone coming at me in that I would be frozen with laughter.

rendet
12-14-2010, 03:05 PM
warforged kits are 350tp and are only offered in different colors- none of which are very appealing. Atleast a little variety would have been nice. Where is the ninja suit for rogues to match the ninja mask?

Matuse
12-14-2010, 03:23 PM
I think 1 TP for a preview kit is ludicrously expensive.

The permanent kits? Not even if I won the 100k store lottery would I waste points like that.

Turbine wants people to invest in armor design and look unique? Break armor down into 5 locations. Base coat, chest, arms, shoulders, waist, legs. Each of those 5 locations has 10-20 variations (maybe the base coat would need fewer) that you can select to create the total ensemble. At least 5 of those variations are directly lifted from existing random armor attachments. Each variation has a primary and secondary color, you get armor dyes that let you set each color how you like it.

Preview armors cost PLATINUM, not TP. In the store, each component (with dye included) is 15-20 TP.

Yes, you run the risk of people deliberately designing ridiculous looking costumes...but hell, I've seen randomly generated armor that was totally silly looking. This lets people customize their armor with great specificity in details and in price. If you don't want a pimped out belt...then don't buy a belt! Want huge winged shoulderpads? Knock yourself out.

donfilibuster
12-14-2010, 08:15 PM
What kind of usability study was made? I bet nothing.
Even if you have only one toon you still have multiple pieces of armor at any given level.

My low level melee toon has one adamantine plate and one hvy fort plate.

My robe user has a full wardrobe counting fearsome, invulnerability, deathblock, fire resist, hvy fort, and magi.

My high level toon has multiple dragontouch sets, of which at least two see regular use.
(one has guards, the other has defenses)

May as well apply the cosmetic kit to a plain robe to walk in the city, but on quests is back to whatever suits.

Having a cosmetic system that you will never use looks very much like not having any cosmetic system.

toaf
12-14-2010, 09:24 PM
well after seeing the "custom armor" stuff. i can say with all my heart "fah h hh that" Turbine has outdone itself with greed this time. this coming from a fanboy this dose not look good. stop it stop it stop it. or at least give the vips something out of it at this point not being a VIP is looking good

fuzzy1guy
12-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Maybe turbine is trying to spark a change for this xmas...

"Hey dude! i got a new computer for xmas, whats a good game to play?"

"Idk. But not ddo. That place got all greedy"

"Ok... How bout wow?"

Twerpp
12-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Who cares, they are all ugly as hell.

Relan07
12-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Maybe turbine is trying to spark a change for this xmas...

"Hey dude! i got a new computer for xmas, whats a good game to play?"

"Idk. But not ddo. That place got all greedy"

"Ok... How bout wow?"

lol. Seriously though, its pretty much the reason I wont be coming back to play this game again. I cant be doing with all the scrooging Turbine throw into this game. Its ruining the fun factor.

WoW has cloaks, bracers, boots etc, that all show up on your character model and is a part of the base game, allowing you to build your character the way you imagine them to be. Its what DDO should have had from the start, not these stupid TP costumes.

Anyway i'm off. Dont feel like spending anymore money on this game.

Veileira
01-14-2011, 08:24 PM
450 tp for the purple one that would be perfect for my character? You are KIDDING me right Turbine?

I was looking forward to the release of Spiral all week. I specifically got DT outfit instead of robe to use the armor kit on it. But now if I get this ONE kit, I can't get the kit I planned for my other character because it's TWICE the price of the other kit!

This is ridiculous. I get to throw away DT I grinded for because I won't get the kit to cover up PJs at this price. I simply REFUSE to pay something that outlandish when the other kits are lower and they were already too expensive.

250 tp was something to buy for ONE main character and not buy any others, especially at half the VIP allowance for a month. That's already ridiculously expensive.

Seriously, Turbine, this is a joke right? Or another store "typo" - how does it cost 100 more TP for a different colour of the same skin? You want to make it more exclusive, then have more variety of colours so not everyone buys the same colour.

Considering cancelling my VIP due to the blatant cash grabs that are really turning me off wanting to support this game.

Alabore
01-14-2011, 09:46 PM
That is an interesting move: at 450 TP these kits basically cost almost as much as a whole adventure pack.
I guess Turbine is still tweaking its micro-transaction model.

dcp101
01-18-2011, 12:59 PM
That is an interesting move: at 450 TP these kits basically cost almost as much as a whole adventure pack.
I guess Turbine is still tweaking its micro-transaction model.

It's absolutely absurd. The fact they still have the 1 TP preview cost on top of that goes to show whoever is making decisions on pricing these items is doing this with a cash now, worry about customers later mentality no matter how much they want to deny that.

MrkGrismer
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I was surprised also. Apparently turbine knows which one we want, that we really-really want :o

I got it (spiral-1) for my Pal20's dragon-touched but I was aware that it was the most expensive '1'. :(

Alabore
01-19-2011, 10:22 PM
I was surprised also. Apparently turbine knows which one we want, that we really-really want :o

Well, that was the point with making preview kits store-only.
So they could track purchases - and profile how popular individual kits were.

It was cunning - if a bit "ruthless".
But this is business, not charity, right...?

;)

Comparing DDO to LoTRO, I'm getting the feeling they're trying to tweak their original micro-transaction model to the latter's.
Maybe they realised people could grind their way to 20, squeezing out every free bonus out of the game, and they're now trying to address that by introducing expensive commodities.

I can't blame Turbine for trying and making money.
Wish they were a bit less overt...

:rolleyes: