PDA

View Full Version : Rework Create Undead into a Line of Magic!

CrescentCalling_5
11-19-2010, 02:16 PM
When I started playing DDO, I skimmed through the list of upper level spells to see what kinda stuff I'd be playing with later on. Now I used to love, I mean LOVE, Neverwinter Nights (not 2, it was a lagstorm >>) and when I saw Create Undead I was ecstatic :D. That spell saved me soooo many times in NwN that it's almost embarrassing (not to mention weird that a chaotic good cleric got its butt saved by a greater mummy lord).

Right now though, everyone tells me how useless that spell is. And after reading the description I can't actually disagree. Right now we can either create a bunch of weak undead monsters or a single semi-powerful undead mummy...and it costs us a black onyx gem. Which IS lame.

Here's my suggestion, remove the Create Undead Spell that we have now, banish it from the game, it sucks. Then implement these 3 age-old spells from PnP which are actually balanced (a CR 5 mummy is not a 6th level spell...)

Animate Dead
Necromancy (Evil)
Level: Cler 3, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M (Black Onyx Gem, cut the price for it)
Metamagic: Quicken, Heighten
Saving Throw: Yes, Summon, DC is improved by Focus Feats and Enhancements
Duration: N/A
SR: No
Effect:
The player is able to summon a lesser undead or a number of lesser undead which improves with the player's caster level. Every 30 seconds the undead must make a will save (DC = Spell DC) or remain under the caster's control. The caster is able to control 1 CR worth of undead for every 2 caster levels (max 5).
Summon Types
The caster is able to summon either a CR 1 Skeleton or a CR 2 Zombie. You can only choose a single type of monster to summon and casting this spell again banishes any undead you have already summoned.

Example:
At caster level 6, the wizard Allayan casts Animate Dead. If he chooses to summon a skeleton he will gain control of 3 Skeletons. If he chooses to summon a zombie he will gain control of 1 Zombie, and the extra CR will be wasted.

Create Undead
Necromancy (Evil)
Level: Cler 6, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M (Black Onyx Gem)
Effect:
The player is able to summon stronger undead minions which improves as the player's level increases. Every 30 seconds the undead must make a will save (DC = Spell DC) or remain under the caster's control. The caster is able to control 1 CR worth of these undead for every 2 caster levels (max 8).
Summon Types
The caster is able to summon a 2 CR Ghoul, 3 CR Ghast, 4 CR Shadow, 5 CR Wight or 6 CR Wraith. This functions the same as the Animate Dead spell, ie. the player can summon a maximum of 4 ghouls or 1 wraith at caster level 20.

Create Greater Undead
Necromancy (Evil)
Level: Cler 8
Components: V, S, M (Black Onyx Gem)
Effect:
The player is able to summon incredibly powerful undead but in limited number. These undead are far stronger than normal and so they are far more difficult to maintain control over. The caster is able to control 1 CR worth of these undead for every 2 caster levels (max 10).
Summon Types
The caster is able to summon a 7 CR Mummy, an 8 CR Vampire, a 9 CR Spectre, or a 10 CR Lich. Only one of these powerful undead can be controlled by a caster at a single time.

Doxmaster
11-19-2010, 06:54 PM
I had the same idea matey
Repost of my create undead, animate dead, and greater create undead

----
Animate Dead.
School: Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Wiz/sorc 4 Clr/FvS 4
Components: V, S
Targets: One living enemy
Spell point cost: ...
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude save negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Metamagic: Heighten, Quicken, Enlarge

This spell turns the target living monster with a true anatomy and less than 10 hit die, into a zombie on a failed fortitude save. The product undead follows you and fights for you, (and if it cannot reach you, teleports to you) acting exactly as a summoned monster would.

You may only control one summoned monster or undead minion at a time; Summoning a new monster or creating any new undead creature destroys all previous monsters or undead you have created. The undead you create remain under your control for 10 minutes, or until it is destroyed.

Upon becoming a zombie, the creature gains all normal zombie and undead traits, but retains the slain creature’s strength and dexterity scores. [The effect is nearly identical to charm, however it cannot be dispelled by anti-magic fields, removed by dispel effects or broken by a heroic surge.]

---

Create Undead
Level: Clr/FvS 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Target: One living enemy
Spell point cost: ...
Saving Throw: Fortitude save negates

A much more potent spell than animate dead, this evil spell allows you to create more powerful undead. Upon a failed fortitude save, the target monster with a true anatomy is ‘slain’ and becomes a single zombie, wraith or ghast.

You may only control one summoned monster or undead minion at a time; Summoning a new monster or creating any new undead creature destroys all previous monsters or undead you have created. The undead you create remain under your control for 10 minutes, or until it is destroyed.

Upon becoming a zombie, the creature gains all normal zombie and undead traits, but retains the slain creature’s strength and dexterity scores.

If the creature is turned into a Wraith or Ghast, the appropriate undead creature spawns in the monster’s place and the target monster dies. Any and all abilities and ability scores the Mummy, Ghast or Wraith possesses are boosted by the 2 for every 4 die the slain monster possessed. The creature is bound to its creator and does not get a save versus serving its new master loyally.

Ghasts heal for amounts equal to the damage it directly does to an opponent. This is a vampiric effect. The ghast also gains 5 temporary hit points, as per false life, per hit it scores on an enemy.

----

Create Greater Undead
Level: Clr/FvS 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Target: One living enemy
Spell point cost: …
Saving Throw: fortitude save negates

A much more potent spell than create undead, this evil spell allows you to create more powerful undead from any being with a true anatomy. Upon a failed fortitude save, the target monster is ‘slain’ and becomes a single zombie, specter, mummy or vampire.

Upon becoming a zombie, the creature gains all normal zombie and undead traits, but retains the slain creature’s strength and dexterity scores.

If the creature is turned into a Mummies, Specter or Vampire, the appropriate undead creature spawns in the monster’s place and the target monster dies. Any and all abilities and ability scores the Mummy, Specter or Vampire possesses are boosted by the 2 for every hit 4 die the slain monster possessed. The creature is bound to its creator and does not get a save versus serving its new master loyally.

In addition to fast healing, which restores 5 of the vampire’s hit points every 6 seconds, vampires heal for amounts equal to the damage it directly does to an opponent. The vampire also gains 10 temporary hit points, as per false life, per hit it scores. These temporary hit points do not stack.

donfilibuster
11-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Can't think of any reason there's no animate dead spell in ddo.
Let alone speaking of the whole summon undead I to IX series.
Moreso now that summon monster allows three different options.

Doxmaster
11-22-2010, 09:19 PM
In all honestly, seeing Animate dead implemented in any way would be great. It's a long lasting, necromancy version of "Suggest"; not much special to it other than the long duration, durability of the spell (beholder proof), school it belongs to and the fact that it would let Pale masters heal a 'charmed' pet.