PDA

View Full Version : EPIC Levels

Tarnoc
11-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I this morning seen a thread about lvls above 20....

in said thread i seen people say yes no for various reasons TRing being one

i propose that they let Epic xp be collected seperate of normal xp.....

and then let pastlife enhancments be bought with said xp say two of them (max)

and have a tempest past life enhancment etc.....

thoughts?

AMDarkwolf
11-18-2010, 01:09 PM
no.

Last thing we need are 'gods' walking around being lv 45.

Just no. Its fine(mostly) the way the level system is set up now, with the restrictions in place limits one to what they can get, and not a 'oh I'll just get THOSE 40 feats later' game.

Fecerak
11-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Not signed

We need MOAR classes, and moar quests of the current level range. And also... why have a higher level cap? Firstly it conflicts with PnP (if you exclude the extremely badly written 3.0 epic level handbook which never got updated to 3.5 which is what we play right now in DDO)

And secondly, what would be the point?
It just stretches the devs to more levels of quests, giving us less quests per given level which is bad (especially considering there aren't really too many quests right now even).

Bobthesponge
11-18-2010, 01:24 PM
been discussed and rehashed many times and the answer is still NO. the devs won't do it, turbine won't pay for it and the players don't want it.

forum search is a wonderful thing. please use it before starting up another thread.

Zzevel
11-18-2010, 01:31 PM
EPIC FAIL

Really? anything EPIC introoduced is already over the top, raise the level cap again but we do not need something different. We leared with 7 different crafting systems it would probaly be batter to have 1 solid crafting system, why would you want todo that hodgepodge with leveling?

Focus on more content and you can TR and do other things you didnt do the first time.. I wouldnt complain if they added a TR only area that give TR's more love, but nobody needs EPIC levels.

Talon_Moonshadow
11-18-2010, 01:42 PM

thoughts?

I wish they had never added TRs. But since they did, and since it is such a grind to get those advantages.....then I say: no.

The people who put in the time to TR deserve those advantages to not be just bought by people who did not put in the time/grind.

Now...I do want Epic lvls. And I can see Epic XP as a reasonable option.

But I also have these slayer areas that promised me full xp for lvls above 20.
And some quests that are listed as lvl 20 and above.

And we also have -xp percentages for being so many lvls above the quest.

So actually I see no real reason for seperate XP system.

But just like in the Epic handbook, there are some things that do change after lvl 20. Like Base Attack Bonus.

On another note. I actually do want to play a God! And see no reason that it should not be allowed.
In PnP D&D, I had looked closely at the idea of DMing for a group of Demi-Gods or a single Lesser Deity character. (the only reason I could not go higher than that is the number of simutaneous actions that more powerful deities gained, made it impossible or rediculously boring to account for.)

(Edit: I had this great idea for Mercury type messenger deity, who had an ability to relay commands from the chief deity to other deities, who would be compelled to obey those commands when the message was delivered. Quests would be designed with the messenger being tasked to deliver his orders and other deities, including more powerful ones them himself, attempting to interfere with his missions. Or that his missions required him to overcome obsticles to accomplish. With God-like power comes godlike responsibilities.)

Granted DDO is not PnP. And many quest ideas and options are limited for a video game.

But no reason why it can not be done.

However, I do not want the Gods ruining my XP or completing my Shroud runs for me as I stand awed by their effortless miracles.

Some method of keeping the Gods working their miracles for Godlike concerns and not loot running with us mortals for trivial Green Steel items should be encouraged.
(maybe they all hang out in the Lobster for PvP. :rolleyes: )

Talon_Moonshadow
11-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Oh, and there needs to actually be an end game first.

Right now there is little for lvl 20s to do. Increasing the lvl cap would only increase the bordum at this point.

And they still owe us regular game stuff first.

Druids. Gnomes. I'd like to see real prestige classes, but seems like they kinds perma-screwed that idea.
Spears.

Lots of things to work on before they take on Epics IMO.

(but I do want them.....just not yet)

hermespan
11-18-2010, 02:04 PM

thoughts?

Considering the overpowered loot in online D&D we already are walking around with a PnP level equivalent of at least 24, pushed that high with truly uber stuff. We have better hitpoints, saves, to-hit, and damage than any level 24 pnp character would. For all intents and purposes we _are_ level 24.

You'd rarely have a single sword as good as a GA in pnp, unless you had a DM that showered you with loot. To be able to make them yourself is insanity. See you can't "farm" in pnp the way you can in DDO. You do a quest or module you can't just do it again because the mobs don't respawn. You already killed them. Why would they be back to kill and loot again 10 minutes later? In pnp you'd be able to do shroud once. Then you would pull all your loot together and make an item for someone in the party, maybe, if someone in the party was even lucky enough to pull a normal power shard. After that, they'd have to figure out that it was for crafting, how to craft it, etc etc etc. Using greensteel as an example, you'd walk into shroud not knowing anything about it or how to craft it. You'd have a .000001% chance of getting it right and there wouldn't be a do-over or re-run of the module. You wouldn't be able to run it over and over, experiment with ingredients and figure out how to combine them to get what you want. You'd have one shot and you'd be going into it blind.

We're already epic before TRing is even considered. You want to be truly epic? Go completionist. Just be prepared for a lot of grinding if they ever raise cap :-p

I know this isn't PnP, I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

CrescentCalling_5
11-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I have with me an order of priorities that I believe Turbine should work with. In order:

1. Bug Fixes
2. All Core Classes
3. All Core Races
4. All Prestige Enhancements
5. More Mid~High Level Content/Basic Crafting Systems

Now let's take a list further down:

6. More Randomness in Existing Quests
7. More Storyline in the Game (or change your advertizements, cause it ain't an MMORPG like this)
8. Advanced Crafting and Appropriate Tradeskills
9. More Spells
10. More Epic Content/Fixed TR Systems

And this is as far as I'm going:

11. More Uses for Guilds
12. Better Organization of the Factions
13. Epic Levels/Epic Classes/Epic Content
14. More Cosmetic Options for Armor and Weapons
15. Fixed AI for Summons and Companions

well that's just my opinion, and tbh my opinion seems to place Epic Levels fairly high on the list compared to others.

Tarnoc
11-18-2010, 06:54 PM
no.

Last thing we need are 'gods' walking around being lv 45.

Just no. Its fine(mostly) the way the level system is set up now, with the restrictions in place limits one to what they can get, and not a 'oh I'll just get THOSE 40 feats later' game.

lol did you even read wat i posted? i dont think you did...the mechanic i proposing would
1 make tring worth it more then the pity it is now for the grind it is...
2 would bring back an older mechanic of a limited couple of epic enhancments
as for the comment about having to tr it could be very easily made that you can take the say epic tempest enhancment with x lvls ranger or ranger pastlife

and too the guy with the 2010 start date with a list of things he wants..whose also f2p and dont pay as he grinds favor for tp....

bug exist in all games if they spend all thier time trying to fix current bugs which inherintally make other bugs and so on then they would never reach number 2 in your list..... n umber 7 and 8 sounds like WOW and Runescape....you want mounts too with that?

and 6 would require a whole new game engine

Aussir
11-18-2010, 07:13 PM
and too the guy with the 2010 start date with a list of things he wants..whose also f2p and dont pay as he grinds favor for tp....
On a side note: I joined in 2010 but been playing for 4 years in Europe and I'm a VIP... ah, the greatness of people that judge by forum date :rolleyes:

Also...

/not signed

There's a whole lot to be done before that, most of which has been mentioned already by other people.

Xithos
11-18-2010, 07:21 PM
/signed.

I would love other avenues for character improvement other than TR grind and epic loot grind.

Tarnoc
11-18-2010, 07:54 PM
On a side note: I joined in 2010 but been playing for 4 years in Europe and I'm a VIP... ah, the greatness of people that judge by forum date :rolleyes:

Also...

/not signed

There's a whole lot to be done before that, most of which has been mentioned already by other people.

well lets see his sig my provide the hint to wat i said he farms TP on canith and has lvl 7 n 8 toons and someday hell own gianthold merdia yada yada

Aussir
11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
well lets see his sig my provide the hint to wat i said he farms TP on canith and has lvl 7 n 8 toons and someday hell own gianthold merdia yada yada

Just don't think it's fair to judge people by forum date, that's all. With the EU transfers, there will quite a lot of new "forumists" that are "old" players.
And your typo on meridia made me chuckle. A bit more and you'd be saying "poo poo" in portuguese :D

I maintain my opinion though. Let Turbine fix what is broken for weeks or months (and years) and add the classes that people have been asking since the beginning before thinking of having epic levels (even though I doubt Turbine will implement them to be honest...)
And honestly, being able to buy past enhancements with XP seems a biiiit OP... just my opinion.

Natashaelle
11-19-2010, 02:48 AM
... the players don't want it.

Speak for yourself, m8.

"the players" =/= some vocal forumites

For starters, *I* want levels 21+

Levels 21+ do not require that the worst features of D&D Epic Level Handbook will need to be implemented in DDO, I *do* wish that people would realise that.