PDA

View Full Version : A stunning dwarven Clonk, questions.

ConnorMacLoad
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
So I am trying to work out the details of a stunning dwarven cleric monk. I have the stunning DC up to 36 and weapon finesse, so I only have to worry about one melee stat but that stat is still pretty low.

My question is, In order to use stunning fist, I assume you have to actually hit the monster right?

The problem is, I am going to end up with a dex of like 26 and I am not too sure that is enough. also not sure if divine power effects my to hit when I have finesse. All the melee characters I have are flush with to hit, so I am not experienced with dancing on the line of what numbers are good.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. also if you need any info regarding the idea, let me know. not too sure what info you need to make any conclusions.

Zacheal
11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
So I am trying to work out the details of a stunning dwarven cleric monk. I have the stunning DC up to 36 and weapon finesse, so I only have to worry about one melee stat but that stat is still pretty low.

My question is, In order to use stunning fist, I assume you have to actually hit the monster right?

The problem is, I am going to end up with a dex of like 26 and I am not too sure that is enough. also not sure if divine power effects my to hit when I have finesse. All the melee characters I have are flush with to hit, so I am not experienced with dancing on the line of what numbers are good.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. also if you need any info regarding the idea, let me know. not too sure what info you need to make any conclusions.

I think you may have missed the fact that most of your bonus DC with stunning fist is from monk level.

The DC is 10 + half monk level + wisdom modifier

So basically its not going to be ideal unless you intend on splashing alot of monk levels. Or have past lives of fighter. Even with the dwarven and +10 stunning you will prob find you dont stun that well and would be better off using your cometfall to CC or Hold person etc.

you could try a hold mass monster / person melle wiz/sorc or something.

As for to-hit finesse will allow you to hit them.
divine power/favor effect your BaB (base attack bonus) which will indirectly effect your to hit .. but its BaB + your to-hit method so it doesnt matter if its dex based or str based.

How did you get 36 out of interest?

JayDubya
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I think you may have missed the fact that most of your bonus DC with stunning fist is from monk level.

The DC is 10 + half monk level + wisdom modifier

So basically its not going to be ideal unless you intend on splashing alot of monk levels. Or have past lives of fighter. Even with the dwarven and +10 stunning you will prob find you dont stun that well and would be better off using your cometfall to CC or Hold person etc.

I have a Flonk (18/2) with a 38 wisdom in ocean stance & guild buffs, and she doesn't have +2 or +1 exc. wisdom (i.e. +3 more), or litany (+1), or yugo pots (+1), or a +7 wisdom item,( +1) or a +4 tome (+2) and she's not human and not a cleric (another +2) . So it's easily possible for her to reach 42 or maybe even 48 wisdom if she was a fully-decked-out clonk. But let's say 40, for the sake of argument.

10 + 10 (stunning hw) + 1 (monk levels) + 15 (wisdom) == 36

and thus a 41 for a decked-out clonk.

For comparisons, a DPS monk with 20 wisdom would have:
10 + 10 (stunning) + 10 (monk) + 5 (wisdom) == 35

I don't know what WIS most DPS monks run around with. I assume low-to-mid 20s - it would have to be 34+ to beat a decked-out clonk. And, of course, were the monk to wear all that gear, they would probably have to sacrifice some STR.

DrNuegebauer
02-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Correct - and maybe more than once! (you gotta build up the ki to use the stunner).

What's Dwarf bringing to the table here? Is it just for the bonus con? Perhaps halfling might have been a better choice for a finesse toon?

Thrudh
02-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Correct - and maybe more than once! (you gotta build up the ki to use the stunner).

What's Dwarf bringing to the table here? Is it just for the bonus con? Perhaps halfling might have been a better choice for a finesse toon?

Dwarf has tactics enhancements, which give bonuses to stunning... Well, stunning blow anyway, do dwarf tactics work on stunning fist as well?

Feithlin
02-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Dwarf has tactics enhancements, which give bonuses to stunning... Well, stunning blow anyway, do dwarf tactics work on stunning fist as well?

Yes, it applies on both.