PDA

View Full Version : Make comments permanent, or opt to block classes on Who panel.

phalaeo
11-17-2010, 01:11 PM
This is what my gametime gets interrupted by every single day. I get one of these at least every half hour, if not more.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/phalaeo/tell1.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/phalaeo/tell2.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/phalaeo/tell3.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/phalaeo/tell4.jpg

I'm really at my limits of patience here. I'm sick of logging on and before I can even move my character, I'm getting tells asking me if I want to heal some **** or another. I've complained about this before- it's not enough to ignore, it's not enough to squelch... what am I going to do, squelch every pugger on the server?

The best I can do right now is look myself up on the Who panel as soon as I log in and put a comment to not send tells next to my user name. The problem here is I should not have to keep doing this.

One solution would be to allow me to permanently put a comment next to my name that says "please do not send tells to heal".

Another might be to keep my name there, but block what class is shown. That way people who are friends can see if I'm on, but people that Who-Panel fish for Cleric symbols cannot.

To the people reading this who do this sort of thing- do you not think we can read the LFMs? If a Cleric wants to join something, they'll open up the social panel and look, just like the rest of the population. :rolleyes:

mws2970
11-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Apparently people feel the need to send tells immediately after a healer logs in asking to heal their group. I agree it is annoying considering I get this all the time as well on my lvl 20 FvS. Sadly, I think the people this is directed at do not tend to read the forums so this would fall on deaf ears.

I agree it would be nice for some way to keep this from happening.

/signed

Eladiun
11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
"Would U Healz dis quest 4 me? kkthxbye"

/signed

Marcus-Hawkeye
11-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I never used it but I recall an "anonymous" check box. Did they get rid of the "anonymous" option?

Cleanincubus
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
There's a button on the bottom of that panel that allows you to go anonymous. And you stay anonymous until you unclick that box, even through log-in and log-out. Most of the time I keep that box checked on my healer.

tunabomber
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
This is what my gametime gets interrupted by every single day. I get one of these at least every half hour, if not more.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/phalaeo/tell1.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/phalaeo/tell2.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/phalaeo/tell3.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/phalaeo/tell4.jpg

I'm really at my limits of patience here. I'm sick of logging on and before I can even move my character, I'm getting tells asking me if I want to heal some **** or another. I've complained about this before- it's not enough to ignore, it's not enough to squelch... what am I going to do, squelch every pugger on the server?

The best I can do right now is look myself up on the Who panel as soon as I log in and put a comment to not send tells next to my user name. The problem here is I should not have to keep doing this.

One solution would be to allow me to permanently put a comment next to my name that says "please do not send tells to heal".

Another might be to keep my name there, but block what class is shown. That way people who are friends can see if I'm on, but people that Who-Panel fish for Cleric symbols cannot.

To the people reading this who do this sort of thing- do you not think we can read the LFMs? If a Cleric wants to join something, they'll open up the social panel and look, just like the rest of the population. :rolleyes:

mystafyi
11-17-2010, 01:21 PM
hehehe... yip happens alot. its like folks wanna grab ya before you can have a chance to open the lfm panel

tunabomber
11-17-2010, 01:21 PM
There's a button on the bottom of that panel that allows you to go anonymous. And you stay anonymous until you unclick that box, even through log-in and log-out. Most of the time I keep that box checked on my healer.

Neeenja!!

flynnjsw
11-17-2010, 01:25 PM
At least its not random blind group/guild join requests like you get in the harbor. I prefer a tell anyday. I actually got 3 yesterday, 2 for seperate VoD's and 1 for a Rainbow group. I was on timer, so joined theRainbow group (because a HoX run wasn't on the LFM). It can also sometimes depend on who sent the tell. If I get a tell from say someone from Elite Raiders, or Dragon Order, or a guild like that, then I am not going to discount it just because they sent a tell.

eonfreon
11-17-2010, 01:33 PM
I get those tells all the time. Sometimes I agree to join, sometimes I don't. I usually ignore it if I don't feel like answering. Not too big of a deal.

On the flip side I do sometimes go "who panel fishing" for Clerics and such and usually wind up with someone who agrees to join. So I'm not too apt to stop just because a few folks get bent out of shape about it. If someone responds and tells me it annoys them I put a note by their names and never bother them again.

I never use anonymous. If you do go anonymous, can your friends see you on their friends list or not?

phalaeo
11-17-2010, 01:34 PM
I play Clerics. I'm well aware there's an Anonymous option.

The problem with this is applying to LFMs for raids and epics if they are put up by someone I know. Epic runs are selective, as are some raids like Abbot and ToD. Are you going to take an Anonymous Cleric on your ToD?

So basically, you guys are suggesting that I should click Anon., but then have to unlick everytime I apply to an LFM? How about, no--- that's annoying? I'm trying to reduce things that annoy me and take up my playtime, not just shift the focus somewhere else.

It's not that hard to make it better- permanent Who panel comments or go Class anonymous and keep the name.

Eladiun
11-17-2010, 01:37 PM
It's not that hard to make it better- permanent Who panel comments or go Class anonymous and keep the name.

...but then wouldn't everyone assume everyone who was class anonymous was a healer type? I mean why would any other class go class anon?

I do agree with the persistent comments though.

TitoJ
11-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Yeah, exactly what he said! *** were you thinking actually solving the problem that was stated?!? I mean ***, really. All these extra mouse clicks are killing us clerics, and our fingers are going to be so sore, that your ass is gonna die, because we're all tuckered out just getting into a group, much less healing you. *** man.

jwdaniels
11-17-2010, 01:49 PM
The trouble with anonymous is that nobody can see you, and sometimes you want some people to know you're online. Maybe adding a third option between available and anonymous, something along the lines of "Guildies and Friends Only" so that you can be anonymous to people that you don't know but also available to those that you do.

Autolycus
11-17-2010, 01:55 PM
I hear you OP. My Clerics are almost always Anon. If I want the tells/invites, I turn it off, but it's been months since I did that.

What I would prefer is if you're Anon and apply to an LFM, then the leader gets see your name, class, level info automatically. If he declines you or you drop group, he looses that access.

I never use anonymous. If you do go anonymous, can your friends see you on their friends list or not?

People on your friends list do not see you, however, guild members do.

Autolycus
11-17-2010, 01:58 PM
The trouble with anonymous is that nobody can see you, and sometimes you want some people to know you're online. Maybe adding a third option between available and anonymous, something along the lines of "Guildies and Friends Only" so that you can be anonymous to people that you don't know but also available to those that you do.

Perhaps a checkbox for each person on your friends list to display or hide to that person.

Itachi83
11-17-2010, 01:58 PM

The problem with this is applying to LFMs for raids and epics if they are put up by someone I know. Epic runs are selective, as are some raids like Abbot and ToD. Are you going to take an Anonymous Cleric on your ToD?

So basically, you guys are suggesting that I should click Anon., but then have to unlick everytime I apply to an LFM? How about, no--- that's annoying? I'm trying to reduce things that annoy me and take up my playtime, not just shift the focus somewhere else.

This is invalid because you can just /tell them beforehand.

This would probably annoy you less, but still enable more time for devs to focus on things that, you know, matter.

EddieB_TBC
11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Pretty sure you show up in guild even if anon is checked.

Usually I'm polite and say no thanks but I have at times replied with something along the lines of asking which LFM is theres so I can see if the people in their group are anybody I'd want to group with... which gets funny reactions sometimes. :D

Nahual
11-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Not sure if this is a bug or anything but I can still see anonymous people log if they are on your friends list. They wont appear on your who list or friends list but would get the message.

So if you are getting the tells exactly when you log it might be because of this havent really checked it out lately.

I know because of my friend who is anonymous and plays a cleric and in a different guild.

Chai
11-17-2010, 02:00 PM
The anonymous tick box is the best thing that has ever happened to healers in this game.

falcon2030
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
You could also right click on the chat tab and set in coming text to not allow tells as well, if anonamous isn't your cup of tea.

I believe that to be a lesser solution in my opinion but whatever floats the old boat there :D

Xaearth
11-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I never could understand this mentality, and my cleric was my main for the first year I played the game.

Someone sending you a random tell seriously interrupts your game play? It's a ding and a little text, I don't see any chat-box intrusive paragraphs that the gold spammers used to send everyone. :rolleyes:

Just don't be bothered to respond, generally when someone is combing the who list for healers they're on to the next name before you type up a response anyways.

Do I send random tells to people on the who list?
Not regularly. I'm generally self sufficient, the only exception being my WF barb who carries a stack of recon scrolls to hand to the arcane in the group. But occasionally I'll put together a raid group that needs a healer, or get some PUGs who are begging for a healer for the quest.

Such tells are a courtesy, both to the person receiving the tell and the other players in the group waiting for the leader to fill the party.

If you want to complain about something, complain about random invites without a word as to what the group is doing and/or expects from you. Granted, blind invites can be fun, especially when you're off soloing and "accidentally" hit accept. :D

cbj192
11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
It's the price clerics pay for being the hottest chick at the dance.

I login anonymous all the time. Still that doesn't stop someone from "approaching" you in town.

And yes blind tells to join a guild are ridiculous.

SirAggravator
11-17-2010, 02:25 PM
While a permanent comment wouldn't be a bad thing...
The first thing I do as a cleric when I log on is type
/afk
This means anyone who sends a tell will automatically get an afk message and wont expect a reply :)

You can also change the afk message text if you really want like
/afk not grouping thanks.

Lorz
11-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Ive found that if your a bad enough cleric...people quit asking....works for me :)

MeliCat
11-17-2010, 02:32 PM
this is 8 characters to type:

/r no ty

i have got quite fast at it. on my bard too. there are LOTS of reasons why people don't like the anonymous option. a middle ground option would be better but not sure what form is best.

i find that:

/afk am elsewhere so probably won't reply to your /tells

gets lost in General so people don't see it. that's also something that it would be nice to find an alternative to.

Elaril
11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CnIF3NH04-w/TGDHiJWatTI/AAAAAAAAAYc/JduYvdJ6-2Q/s1600/chill_pill.jpg

Let me guess, your name starts with one of the early letters in the alpahbet?

Claransa
11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
You can add Bards to the list of victims for this sort of mild griefing, and this bard would like to see a better solution than anonymous for. Problem with anonymous is that it affects chat and your tells when choosing to join a group and nobody wants to group with someone anonymous. You should simply be able to choose if you want to share your online status or not.

justplayingthegame
11-17-2010, 02:47 PM
This is what my gametime gets interrupted by every single day. I get one of these at

nothing to see here, moving along.

just ignore them and move along.
or just stay anon.

badbob117
11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
While a permanent comment wouldn't be a bad thing...
The first thing I do as a cleric when I log on is type
/afk
This means anyone who sends a tell will automatically get an afk message and wont expect a reply :)

You can also change the afk message text if you really want like
/afk not grouping thanks.

I did not know you could do this. thanks a million man. :)

azrael4h
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
I just went anon on both my cleric and FvS myself. Got tired of having party invites pop up every 5 seconds otherwise (which do block your view and distract you while questing). Tells I don't mind, I specifically ask in my bio to /tell me first before inviting me. Tells are a respectful way of saying "Hey, do you want to join" (unless the tell itself is disrespectful).

My favorite blind invite was on my FvS though. Walking around Marketplace, before I'd finished doing Coin Lords stuff for the 4th bag, and got a party invite from a random passer-by. Declined, as usual. The person happened to be standing next to me, and proceeded to cry on my shoulder. :P

Lorien_the_First_One
11-17-2010, 02:58 PM

The real problem is that when you apply to an LFM it should ignore your Anon status - at that point you have voluntarily asked to join and people should know who you are. That's how it used to work, they broke anon/LFM a few updates back.

stainer
11-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey Pallai

Wanna run some Amarath tonight? Don't let the being on different servers thing bother you. :)

stainer

stainer
11-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Ive found that if your a bad enough cleric...people quit asking....works for me :)

This is very true.

Graebeerd
11-17-2010, 03:02 PM
I squelch every single one that does this

porq
11-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Or advertise that to the puggers who send you tells :)

I occasionally respond to tells of people who want me to heal such and such quest for them that 'I'm a battle fvs so I didn't take any healing spells'

I usually get something back along the lines of 'uh....ok. nevermind'

It's not true of course; I'll heal for friends and guild groups but I don't like to do that for pugs. It's hard to say if the recipients think I'm serious, but the end result over time has been practically no tells to heal pugs anymore, so I'm happy :D

Scherwiz2
11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
...but then wouldn't everyone assume everyone who was class anonymous was a healer type? I mean why would any other class go class anon?

I do agree with the persistent comments though.

Rogues and Rangers might go class anon because of the common pug prejudice against their classes.

In fact, we should take this idea a few steps further and implement class/race disguises. That way you could make everyone think that you are a Horc Barbarian when you want to join their lfm or a Drow... anything when you don't want people to bother you. ;P

omen21
11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
When on my cleric I get a blind req to heal a party I join and continue to do what I was doing until they drop me or I feel like joining another party.

Phidius
11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Strange, I never get these kind of tells on Stryde... I wonder if the ranger and monk levels have something to do with it :D

rest
11-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I must have a reputation as a really really really really terrible cleric on my server. I can count on one hand the number of unsolicited tells I've received in the last 2 months. And I've been playing him almost exclusively in that time frame.

So I don't know who is better off: you the amazing in-demand-cleric-who-everyone-on-the-server-adores or me the horrible never-ask-him-to-heal-anything-ever cleric.

:(

(I'm actually thankful, because I almost never PUG.)

Gorbadoc
11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Do I send random tells to people on the who list?
Not regularly. I'm generally self sufficient, the only exception being my WF barb who carries a stack of recon scrolls to hand to the arcane in the group. But occasionally I'll put together a raid group that needs a healer, or get some PUGs who are begging for a healer for the quest.

Such tells are a courtesy, both to the person receiving the tell and the other players in the group waiting for the leader to fill the party.
Yeah, I don't usually mind the tells. They let me pretend like I'm popular among all the cool kids of DDO.

And when I'm feeling antisocial, I play my Warforged Sorc.

The anonymous tick box is the best thing that has ever happened to healers in this game.
Cleric Hirelings would have to be a close second. I can play the class I want, how I want, without feeling like I'm doing someone a disservice by not acting like a heal bot.

PopeJual
11-17-2010, 03:40 PM

There's a few people on Argo that are permanently Anonymous because they don't get along with a significant percentage of the rest of the server.

phalaeo
11-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Look, I'm sorry if some of you guys think I'm wrong or all up in arms about "nothing". Those of you who play with me on Argo can pretty much tell you that I usually go with the flow and am fairly easygoing and flexible.

I can't help it that it ****es me off, but it does. And it's not a huge thing to adapt the coding.

I love playing Clerics- everyone asks "don't you hate playing a healer?"- the answer is no. I love it, but I do hate getting random tells every 10-30 minutes.

I'm not apologizing for this one.

phalaeo
11-17-2010, 06:57 PM
The real problem is that when you apply to an LFM it should ignore your Anon status - at that point you have voluntarily asked to join and people should know who you are. That's how it used to work, they broke anon/LFM a few updates back.

Even that would be ok with me.... just some option, I don't care what the mechanics are.

Lithic
11-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Look, I'm sorry if some of you guys think I'm wrong or all up in arms about "nothing". Those of you who play with me on Argo can pretty much tell you that I usually go with the flow and am fairly easygoing and flexible.

I can't help it that it ****es me off, but it does. And it's not a huge thing to adapt the coding.

I love playing Clerics- everyone asks "don't you hate playing a healer?"- the answer is no. I love it, but I do hate getting random tells every 10-30 minutes.

I'm not apologizing for this one.

You know, now I'm feeling rather miffed that I hardly ever get blind tells on my healbot FvS. Maybe people don't like healers named "Storageunit" ;)

Asketes
11-17-2010, 07:51 PM

now only if two people had each other friended, then they could see when one goes annonymous. :(

Kabaon
11-17-2010, 07:58 PM
You know, if wizards were that popular, I might agree with you on the random tells to play right when I log in, but alas, they are not. Wizards are a dime a dozen, but good healers are rare, so yeah we have to blind tell now and again (and no I don't like to do it often, I'd rather let the player decide, even if it take 45 extra minutes to fill my last two spots in a raid).

Still wish I was popular though :P.

phalaeo
11-18-2010, 01:01 AM
You know, now I'm feeling rather miffed that I hardly ever get blind tells on my healbot FvS. Maybe people don't like healers named "Storageunit" ;)

Oh, you wait until Storageunit logs on next. Just you wait..... :p

Gorbadoc
11-18-2010, 02:50 AM
now only if two people had each other friended, then they could see when one goes annonymous. :(
(Emboldening is mine)

There's another problem: Unless they've changed it, DDO lets you see what characters are online, not what players. The trouble is, when I log in, it's because I, the player, want to play. I don't give a **** which character I use. And if one of my friends is online, I don't want to have to synchronize eight friend lists to know about it, nor do I want my friend to miss me just because I'm logged on to an alt.

Again, unless they changed it, Asketes must be using the word 'people' to refer to characters, not players. Silly, silly game.

DocBenway
11-18-2010, 08:29 AM
The best I got said "You have been recommended as a good cleric for Icy runs, care to join us?" on my lvl17 (at the time) cleric.

The only reasons it was great was because I had seen the LFM and did not recognize a single name that would "recommend" me, and at the time this cleric had a grand total of 3 for Slayer count in the SubT from a lets-pop-in -and-see-what-it's-like trip with a lvl15 rogue friend.

I have a hunch that I was 'recommended' only because I was an unpartied cleric showing as online at the time.