PDA

View Full Version : Allow us to put capitals mid name.

AMDarkwolf
11-17-2010, 02:36 AM
My toon, Atmadarkwolf gets confused as 'at the moment a darkwolf' and other ... strange... translations.

It would be, personally, more eye pleasing to have the ability to put cap's mid name(or even spaces, dashes, or whatever) and I don't think it would kill anything.(You can type in lower/uppercase letters to /tell someone, or add to friends list and it dosn't seem to care if you capitalize the letters or not, and the char select has the toon's names in all caps, so i can't see why it won't allow this)

Dulcimerist
11-17-2010, 02:39 AM
/signed

I have toon names that would've benefitted by this as well.

toughguyjoe
11-17-2010, 02:53 AM
I believe it's not allowed because the internet is already making the oxford english dictionary want to blow its own brains out so badly that we don't need to help it along :)

Nite_Prowler
11-17-2010, 04:38 AM
/signed

or how about numbers?

Just adding numbers to our names could be helpful.

Morlen
11-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Standard: (Standard) xXx1p0WnURf4CexXx wants to join your party

No thanks.
/Not signed

This. While many people would use this in a simple manner, many others would be incredibly abnoxious.

Razcar
11-17-2010, 04:55 AM

No thanks.
/Not signed

Kathnduirh
11-17-2010, 04:57 AM

No thanks.
/Not signed

totally agreed!

/Not signed

Lleren
11-17-2010, 05:06 AM
My toon, Atmadarkwolf gets confused as 'at the moment a darkwolf' and other ... strange... translations.

It would be, personally, more eye pleasing to have the ability to put cap's mid name(or even spaces, dashes, or whatever) and I don't think it would kill anything.(You can type in lower/uppercase letters to /tell someone, or add to friends list and it dosn't seem to care if you capitalize the letters or not, and the char select has the toon's names in all caps, so i can't see why it won't allow this)

You can split your names up into a First name, and a Last name. The Last name can even have spaces and I believe multiple capital letters.

Nospheratus
11-17-2010, 05:09 AM

No thanks.
/Not signed

This!

Hardehar
11-17-2010, 05:26 AM
/definately not signed.

I happen to enjoy the written english language as nature intended, and anything to slow it's gradual dissolve into netspeak is a good thing, even something as petty as this.

Dulcimerist
11-17-2010, 05:26 AM

I hadn't thought of this. :( I retract my signature. :(

Perhaps they could allow one capital letter? When I've tried to split my toon names into first and last names, it always rejects the name since the first name was already taken by someone else. The unique name protocol only looks at the first name field, and ignores the last name field.

EustaceTrevelyan
11-17-2010, 05:46 AM

not /signed, sorry. I don't demand that people make up names that are RP, but this is way too far down the WoW path. Your name would be fine, and you're right, actually enhanced by this, but other people would abuse it, and we'd all be Eye Hurt:(

Aelithia
11-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Standard: (Standard) xxxipownurfcexxx wants to join your party

No thanks.
/Not signed

Just out of curiosity, is that any better? Is that somehow better, by merit of losing the capitals and numbers? I'd say no, but that's just my opinion, and in my opinion... the suggestion wouldn't have changed this. I don't think numbers should be allowed, but other than that, I see no problem.

Razcar
11-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, is that any better? Is that somehow better, by merit of losing the capitals and numbers? I'd say no, but that's just my opinion, and in my opinion... the suggestion wouldn't have changed this. I don't think numbers should be allowed, but other than that, I see no problem.
Well, it's slighty better. ;)
But I assume you are not familiar with what you can can do if given access to the whole UTF-8 character set, and thus my example might seem a bit mundane to you. Let's spice it up a little up then so you'll maybe see what I mean

Standard: (Standard) Ͼͼ٠٠ЏЪЭЯᚔԀЏԀЭ٠٠ͽϿ wants to join your partyOf course, they could limit it to free numbers and capitals only, like asked by posters above, but then why not dashes, slashes, ampersands etc... and after a while you will always have to copy and paste to send a tell etc, not to talk about how it looks.

Lleren
11-17-2010, 07:23 AM

Perhaps they could allow one capital letter? When I've tried to split my toon names into first and last names, it always rejects the name since the first name was already taken by someone else. The unique name protocol only looks at the first name field, and ignores the last name field.

Try other first names.
Heck, try other languages, or a wiki wander.
Or one of the newer servers.

Names with personal history behind them can be a problem. Lastnames are what I use to cover that when it is important to me anymore. Mostly I can get some of 'my' names though. Even the weird short ones.

Edit: xxxipownurfcexxx I would pronounce as Bob, or perhaps Susan.

Draccus
11-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Horrible idea. DDO players have the worst names I've seen in 12+ years of MMOs and this would only make them worse.

Why people can't follow the rules and pick a name that's actually a name and not a sentence is beyond me. We don't need

ImAlEeTpVpGoD UrGoNnAdIe any more than we need the currently absurd names we already have.

cbj192
11-17-2010, 08:01 AM
It's fine the way things are.

It forces you to be more creative when you name a toon. And sometimes people come up with pretty clever names.

Of course the price for that is like 15 lame ass names but what they hey.

Uska
11-17-2010, 08:13 AM
/signed

or how about numbers?

NO to numbers

PopeJual
11-17-2010, 08:18 AM
/signed

or how about numbers?

Drizzt69 says /signed

Cam_Neely
11-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Coming from another MMO that allowed anything you want in names

/not signed

The actual names used in the game are great and creative. I would say if they could make it so you could have 1 capital letter mind name, that would allow most people to do what they want, while still keeping the naming system... Clean (for lack of a better word pre coffee)

bryanmeerkat
11-17-2010, 08:26 AM

No thanks.
/Not signed

Come on that would be really useful

xXx1p0WnURf4CexXx wants to join your party - umm decline .

Now if he was called Powurface you may get half way into the dungeon before you learn hes a moron

Ratnix
11-17-2010, 09:01 AM
As others have already stated the reasons,

No.

There are more than enough stupid names out there.

Allistair
11-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Horrible idea. DDO players have the worst names I've seen in 12+ years of MMOs and this would only make them worse.

Why people can't follow the rules and pick a name that's actually a name and not a sentence is beyond me. We don't need

ImAlEeTpVpGoD UrGoNnAdIe any more than we need the currently absurd names we already have.

AGREED!
/Not signed

No need for sentence names or numbers in names.
Forget the dictionary, I'd personally hate to see the silly names like l33tw1zard running around

Nospheratus
11-17-2010, 09:20 AM

My toons got transferred from the European servers and I had 0 (zero) name collisions out of 7.

None of them are copied from anywhere, except one that is, lets say, my "internet legacy" name. I won't write them here, but I assure you none of them include word games, all are names thought to be real names.

I even created two characters before the transfers, and had no problems with the names! :p

Be original! :)

Razcar
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Come on that would be really useful

xXx1p0WnURf4CexXx wants to join your party - umm decline .

Now if he was called Powurface you may get half way into the dungeon before you learn hes a moron
You have a good point :)

Looonatic
11-17-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd settle for a few allowable prefixes to choose from like 'The', 'Sir', 'Madam' and maybe ranks like 'Captain', 'Sergeant' etc.

It would greatly increase the flexibility of naming without unduly affecting the feel of the game.

madmaxhunter
11-17-2010, 10:56 AM
/signed

or how about numbers?

Especially not this. I could see it now:

player: How did you get into group, you were squelched.
me: I was squelched?
player: Yes, you were a complete jerk last night!
me: Oh, you must have played with Lighthardtt1, I'm Lighthardtt.
player: Oh

/not signed

karnokvolrath
11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
/not signed

This isnt irc, no one wants to see your leet handle.

While it COULD be alright, some ghod of da internetz (my 13 year cousin) would ruin it.

I would like the option of adding ONE and only ONE extra cap.

Samadhi
11-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Never understood why this wasn't the case /signed.

GBantaR
11-17-2010, 11:15 AM
/definately not signed.

I happen to enjoy the written english language as nature intended, and anything to slow it's gradual dissolve into netspeak is a good thing, even something as petty as this.

I'm sorry, because I agree with your point, but this just made me multi-facepalm.

*definitely
*its
*English

And finally, nature didn't intend English, man did.

That being said, to the OP: /not signed. The horrific "MrBiGaNdScArY" names that would come from this would probably drive the anal-retentive among us (points to self) insane.

Uska
11-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd settle for a few allowable prefixes to choose from like 'The', 'Sir', 'Madam' and maybe ranks like 'Captain', 'Sergeant' etc.

It would greatly increase the flexibility of naming without unduly affecting the feel of the game.

No to this for naming but maybe a way to earn a title or rank to add to your name now that I could go for.

Tirkan
11-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Having a title or rank in your name is against the naming convention rules.

No to this for naming but maybe a way to earn a title or rank to add to your name now that I could go for.

Wouldn't mind that.

But for the op,

/not signed.

Aussir
11-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Being an active player on another MMO that allows this:

/not signed

Last thing I need is a ton of xX1p0wnz411Un00bzXx running around.

Imagine the madness if we had a font that would make capital "I" and lower case "L" look the same on top of it.
No, thanks.

yawumpus
11-17-2010, 11:46 AM
/not signed

May my Scottish ancestors forgive me. I can live with Mcduff if it means never seeing xXx1p0WnURf4CexXx.

Memnir
11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
No thank you.

Monroid
11-17-2010, 12:08 PM

No thanks.
/Not signed

lol, xX69XxLegolasxX69Xx

AMDarkwolf
11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
wow. Never said numbers. Never said multi-spam of upper/lower case. But one space, dash(-) or uppercase mid name.

You guys really are quick to /not sign' some of the ... most simple and harmless stuff.

If the 2nd (last) name had any bearing on our names, id be happy, but no matter what I try, the first name is always taken unless you 'make' it some crazy sentence. That or make a name like Johnjackjakejam because John, Jack, Jake, and Jam were all taken. By toons over 2 years ago. Who never logged in after creating their toon.

All I'm asking is a cap, space, dash midname to define wht the name is and avoid the confusion like I first stated.

And just.. WOW u guys really do have this 'NUUUUUUUUUUUUUU CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE IT GONNA HUUUUUUUUUURT STOOOOOOOOOOP' thing going on.

NadgersFishtoaster
11-17-2010, 12:54 PM

I like this idea too.

You could potentially get such a title as a quest reward, possibly complete with a paragraph to add to your bio explaining why you were awarded it.

Lleren
11-17-2010, 04:20 PM
wow. Never said numbers. Never said multi-spam of upper/lower case. But one space, dash(-) or uppercase mid name.

You guys really are quick to /not sign' some of the ... most simple and harmless stuff.

If the 2nd (last) name had any bearing on our names, id be happy, but no matter what I try, the first name is always taken unless you 'make' it some crazy sentence. That or make a name like Johnjackjakejam because John, Jack, Jake, and Jam were all taken. By toons over 2 years ago. Who never logged in after creating their toon.

All I'm asking is a cap, space, dash midname to define wht the name is and avoid the confusion like I first stated.

And just.. WOW u guys really do have this 'NUUUUUUUUUUUUUU CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE IT GONNA HUUUUUUUUUURT STOOOOOOOOOOP' thing going on.

Even more against it after this post. I don't need to see your DrRitz or LegoLass.

Doxmaster
11-17-2010, 04:29 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3416859&postcount=5
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3416860&postcount=6

How the hell did he quote a guy that DIDNT POST YET?!?!

No. No. I refuse to believe this is possible. Pull the thread over; we're all getting out and walking.

Aussir
11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
the first name is always taken unless you 'make' it some crazy sentence.
Funny, a lot of us (europeans) got tranferred and some didn't lose their names at all, others had no problem adjusting the names (or leaving the name-1). And we don't use sentences on our names. I think the problem is in you and wanting to create DrIzZt19847

You just shot yourself on the foot with this reply. Can imagine one of your names: Driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzttttttt6476 (wait, does this even fit?)

OP's suggestion:
/10x Not signed (again).

GBantaR
11-17-2010, 04:44 PM

OK, wow what an inappropriate post.

You said Caps in the middle of first names. You didn't say ONE. Several people responded that this could never work because people WOULD spam lower/upper/lower/upper in their names and there would be no way to prevent it. Hence, you'd get the xxxXXXMrBiGaNdScArYXXXxxx names. There is no way programming-wise to allow McCloud without also allowing that monstrosity.

Then, OTHER people mentioned numbers, and OTHER people responded to that.

Your idea is a bad one for all of the numerous reasons that have been listed in this thread. Accept it and don't refute all of our reasons with immature, inflammatory posts.

Razcar
11-17-2010, 04:59 PM
How the hell did he quote a guy that DIDNT POST YET?!?!
He must be a... ninja! Sorry, oOo.|\|1|\|j4.oOo :p

AMDarkwolf
11-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Funny, a lot of us (europeans) got tranferred and some didn't lose their names at all, others had no problem adjusting the names (or leaving the name-1). And we don't use sentences on our names. I think the problem is in you and wanting to create DrIzZt19847

You just shot yourself on the foot with this reply. Can imagine one of your names: Driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzttttttt6476 (wait, does this even fit?)

OP's suggestion:
/10x Not signed (again).

Where in any of my posts, did I implicate that I wanted to have some silly name based somewhat on a popular, well known character created by someone else, and not use the name, which I actualy typed out(if you botherd reading a little u MIGHT find that. Yes, reading is fun)

Its funny what some of you people suggest, and sign off on and agree with, yet this, which is a perfectly valid suggestion that dosn't hurt anyone, you are against? baffles me.

OK, wow what an inappropriate post.

You said Caps in the middle of first names. You didn't say ONE. Several people responded that this could never work because people WOULD spam lower/upper/lower/upper in their names and there would be no way to prevent it. Hence, you'd get the xxxXXXMrBiGaNdScArYXXXxxx names. There is no way programming-wise to allow McCloud without also allowing that monstrosity.

Then, OTHER people mentioned numbers, and OTHER people responded to that.

Your idea is a bad one for all of the numerous reasons that have been listed in this thread. Accept it and don't refute all of our reasons with immature, inflammatory posts.

Ya i was a little silly there, admit that. But Why is it such a bad thing that this could be. Are you truly that fearful of names like the above getting into your group... like XxXXXxXxxXXx is worse than Xxxxxxxxxx or xxxxxxxxxxxx? Really?

And honestly, even with the current 'system' you(and myself I admit) see a name thats : XxxDrozzeetxxx or something, I'm not likley to take that person serious, and not many of those people play for long before making a 'REAL' character. (IE ppl join, can't think of name, so do some random keyboard slappage, and play that till they either get sick of the game, or get into it and start a fresh toon with better understanding of what to do)

What I don't get is how, with the internet today, THAT is your reason to not want this. Because that tiny little 'change' will 'scare' you when u look at lfms? I don't get it, you don't HAVE to stare at the guy's name above his head(Do what I do, hit v, names don't show up, hit v again and u see npc names but not PC's, hit v again and u see them all... its not hard.)

Allowing caps midname(or allowing caps throughout the name, for whatever reason) help define what a name is, is just aesthetics, and won't change what we have. Its just as important as (For RP'ers) their backstory, or how the toon's hair looks, or anything else that defines what that avatar is beyond his gear. Coding wise it is absolutely no different than xxxx or XXXX or XxXx. As far as the game cares(as shown by the char-select screen) they are all x's

IF a name offends you, report it. Heard stories of people with non-offensive names having forced name changes because it was a name of a popular cartoon character, so obviously someone was offended :P - Dont like the names typed out by someone who happened to be spamming his capslock key while typing it out? Don't invite him to your party. Problem solved.

Timber
11-18-2010, 12:41 AM
I believe it's not allowed because the internet is already making the oxford english dictionary want to blow its own brains out so badly that we don't need to help it along :)

This. It'd be a grammatical nightmare.

Jay203
11-18-2010, 12:55 AM
i would prefer they change the name system so we can have one to three words for our name that would count toward unique names

so three people can have first word the same as long as the second and/or third words are different, then they all count as unique names

Kominalito
11-18-2010, 01:04 AM

well done, and...

xxXX!!$@TotALLy NoT SiGnEd@$!!XXxx

Timber
11-18-2010, 01:04 AM
i would prefer they change the name system so we can have one to three words for our name that would count toward unique names

so three people can have first word the same as long as the second and/or third words are different, then they all count as unique names

This, I agree with. After all that's what middle and last names are for... differentiating between people with the same name.

AMDarkwolf
11-18-2010, 01:50 AM

Ok yes, this would be perfect. We already have first and second names(first and last) and adding one more 'word' would fit.

This way I COULD be 'Atma Darkwolf' and it would be exactly what I want(Couldn't do it before because of Atma being taken already, and that person never logged in again so couldn't take the name back..lol)

This is one example, but is perfectly what I had wanted, but the 'ID' idea (IE being that a person named 'Jack Tom Bob' is only named 'Jack' as far as the game cares. When you type /tell Jack you tell him. Your idea is perfect but would require a few changes to teh code to allow 'multi word' names to fit with the friends list, etc.

Jay203
11-18-2010, 02:55 AM
Ok yes, this would be perfect. We already have first and second names(first and last) and adding one more 'word' would fit.

This way I COULD be 'Atma Darkwolf' and it would be exactly what I want(Couldn't do it before because of Atma being taken already, and that person never logged in again so couldn't take the name back..lol)

This is one example, but is perfectly what I had wanted, but the 'ID' idea (IE being that a person named 'Jack Tom Bob' is only named 'Jack' as far as the game cares. When you type /tell Jack you tell him. Your idea is perfect but would require a few changes to teh code to allow 'multi word' names to fit with the friends list, etc.

make it so all our characters are connected by our forum display name (not our account username for obvious purpose), for tell purposes it'll just be "/t <username> <message>" instead of "/t <individual character names> <message>"
it's my wish that they would do something like this for friend list as well so we don't have to use 10+ slots on our friend list or squelch list just to add a single person

JUJAMAKILL
11-18-2010, 02:58 AM
Not to offer an opinion either way,(as people tend to freak out and flame the smallest ideas in to oblivion) but just to mention my frustration when trying to make names from my warforged characters. I'm a bit of a car nut (read: enthusiast) and always wanted to make a bada$$ warforged with numbers or capitals to reference some of the old classics. Simple ones like GTRXU-1, or SLR5000, L34, LS-1. etc. Gtrxu-1 and Slr5000 just dont look the part lol. At least not to anyone who knows what they are.

I dunno, something like a model number or type seems to lend itself well to a 'robot' like creature. (dont grill me for the 'robot' like comment :) )

Anyways, thats my 2 cents on the subject. Unlike most people who are scared of the 'drizzzt' (etc) clones, I could care less if there were more of them. I can honestly say that in 4yrs of gaming I havent even seen 1 'drizzt' wannabe. I am sure they are out there, just sayin, i aint seen em........

P.S> yes, im a Holden fan :) 4dzsuk ... There, I said it...

AMDarkwolf
11-18-2010, 02:58 AM
make it so all our characters are connected by our forum display name (not our account username for obvious purpose), for tell purposes it'll just be "/t <username> <message>" instead of "/t <individual character names> <message>"
it's my wish that they would do something like this for friend list as well so we don't have to use 10+ slots on our friend list or squelch list just to add a single person

Or the DDO toon list(You can hide or unhide your toons there, adding that person adds all his/her toons to your friends?)

Great idea, think you should have suggested this instead of me.:D

Hardehar
11-18-2010, 03:01 AM
I'm sorry, because I agree with your point, but this just made me multi-facepalm.

*definitely
*its
*English

And finally, nature didn't intend English, man did.

That being said, to the OP: /not signed. The horrific "MrBiGaNdScArY" names that would come from this would probably drive the anal-retentive among us (points to self) insane.

I said I enjoyed it not that I could achieve it. I also enjoy listening to Eric Clapton play guitar, but I'm not about to attempt to play it.

Point taken though, I stand duly corrected.

Grizzie
11-18-2010, 03:14 AM
Has anyone considered how you would pronounce these names when running a quest using voice??

It would take ten minutes to say "xXx1p0WnURf4CexXx" by which time the party has wiped :)

definitely /NOT signed.

fuzzy1guy
11-18-2010, 03:44 AM
I'll sign if we also get an unlimited size squelch list...

Stupid names are an awesome way to screen people out.

Hardehar
11-18-2010, 03:50 AM
Has anyone considered how you would pronounce these names when running a quest using voice??

It would take ten minutes to say "xXx1p0WnURf4CexXx" by which time the party has wiped :)

definitely /NOT signed.

Answer: in a way most guaranteed to annoy the owner of the name and make them appear the immature, unimaginative prolapse that they are. The above mentioned name I would pronounce thusly: (written phoenetically, letters in caps voiced louder and with more emphasis)

ex-EX-ex-wun-pehOUHnn-ERR-ff-for-SS-eeh-ex-EX-ex

..or 'Numpty' for short.

Lleren
11-18-2010, 05:19 AM

definitely /NOT signed.

Those names are pronounces as Bob, or Susan, or some other short common word, such as peach.

Uska
11-18-2010, 09:11 AM
I like this idea too.

You could potentially get such a title as a quest reward, possibly complete with a paragraph to add to your bio explaining why you were awarded it.

Yeah thats along the line I was thinking would add a bit to the game maybe

Aussir
11-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Where in any of my posts, did I implicate that I wanted to have some silly name based somewhat on a popular, well known character created by someone else, and not use the name, which I actualy typed out(if you botherd reading a little u MIGHT find that. Yes, reading is fun)

You roll a 1d20 for "Sarcasm Check"
You roll a 1 - Critical Failure

You just had an Epic Fail on sarcasm check. :rolleyes:
"Yes, reading (comprehension) is fun".