PDA

View Full Version : New cosmetic helmet mod: paper bag

EatSmart
11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Problem:

Some characters just aren't blessed with good looks. Being berated by your colleagues during a dungeon can sap the will of even the most confident of paladins. There are times when life just feels to much.

The answer to this problem should be a fully face concealing helmet. Sadly this excludes the use of many good helmet options.

Suggested solution:

Cosmetic helmet mob that changes your current helmet to look like a paper bag has been shoved firmly over the character's head. Now people can wear those wise tiara's of inner focus without having to expose their looks to ridicule.

As a store purchase item this obviously would need to have some token stat benefits. How about something along the line of:

+1 morale bonus to all skills and saves
+2 security bonus to diplomacy
1x per day clicky "Take the bag off" - petrifying attack vs anyone who can see the caster. low DC to avoid being OP.

fullpozzy
11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
/signed

Even if it had no stats mods, it would add alittle fun into the game.

Hendrikus1
11-15-2010, 11:42 AM
/signed

I am sure plenty of Half orcs with low self esteem will be grateful!

I love this idea.

Spoprockel
11-15-2010, 11:59 AM
I'd suggest paper bag grenades like the pumpkin festival ones.

If THEY think your char is too ugly, why should YOU pay turbine points? :D

Dark_Uncle72
11-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Problem:

Some characters just aren't blessed with good looks. Being berated by your colleagues during a dungeon can sap the will of even the most confident of paladins. There are times when life just feels to much.

The answer to this problem should be a fully face concealing helmet. Sadly this excludes the use of many good helmet options.

Suggested solution:

Cosmetic helmet mob that changes your current helmet to look like a paper bag has been shoved firmly over the character's head. Now people can wear those wise tiara's of inner focus without having to expose their looks to ridicule.

As a store purchase item this obviously would need to have some token stat benefits. How about something along the line of:

+1 morale bonus to all skills and saves
+2 security bonus to diplomacy
1x per day clicky "Take the bag off" - petrifying attack vs anyone who can see the caster. low DC to avoid being OP.

What you do ...date my ex-wife?? :D

Requiro
11-15-2010, 01:08 PM
+1 rep :)

hityawithastick
11-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Awesome.

Memnir
11-15-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm all for it. I'd even roll a Half-Elf (maybe) if we can get these. :)
Just watch out for them Kobold Shamen & their Scorching Rays...
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/ohno2.jpg

:eek:

EatSmart
11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm all for it. I'd even roll a Half-Elf (maybe) if we can get these. :)
:eek:

Yes, there was a certain amount of self-interest in this suggestion. I'd like half-elves to be a playable race too.

Jaid314
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM
/signed

I am sure plenty of Half orcs with low self esteem will be grateful!

I love this idea.

eh, the half orcs aren't all that bad. frankly, the thing that bothers me most about them is that their legs are too short. by a lot. give the half-orcs some stilts or something imo, the race that needs a paper bag is half-elf :P

Shishizaru
11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
eh, the half orcs aren't all that bad. frankly, the thing that bothers me most about them is that their legs are too short. by a lot. give the half-orcs some stilts or something imo, the race that needs a paper bag is half-elf :P

My problem isn't the leg length, it's that their legs (proportionally) seem way too small compared to their torso's. Not only do I think they would crush their own legs under their torso weight, but I feel like they look very cartoonish (reminds me of a style like the Incredibles).

Don't get me wrong, I liked that movie and I'm fine with the art style. I just think that based off the precedent of the other races, "realism" was more what they should be aiming for.

Xenus_Paradox
11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Helf males at least are a double-bagger.

Females can be made to look fairly normal.

Kruppe
11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Would be a funny addition to a Valentine's Day event.

Talon_Moonshadow
11-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Should be standard issue for all Half-Elves. :(

Talias006
11-16-2010, 08:31 AM
My problem isn't the leg length, it's that their legs (proportionally) seem way too small compared to their torso's. Not only do I think they would crush their own legs under their torso weight, but I feel like they look very cartoonish (reminds me of a style like the Incredibles).

Don't get me wrong, I liked that movie and I'm fine with the art style. I just think that based off the precedent of the other races, "realism" was more what they should be aiming for.

I can't believe you just tried to inject realism into this. How "real" do the Warforged look? Perhaps "realism" wasn't your intended word usage? Maybe it was geared towards having the races resemble their PHB counterparts more closely. Personally, I think the Half-Orcs could have looked a little more porcine in their faces and added more gradients of green and yellow pigment to their skin. Their hulking and brutish size doesn't bother me. They definitely stand out in a crowd. Put them in plate and give them a solid helm and they could almost look like a 'forged. Almost.

Back on topic: I'd definitely /sign to this. But maybe the bonus should be this:
+2 Deception bonus to all Charisma based skills.
Deception because even with the bag over your face, that won't stop a silver-tongue from conning another npc for whatever purpose.

Alabore
11-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm all for it. I'd even roll a Half-Elf maybe if we can get these. :)

Maybe.

Actually, I did come up with a paper-bag-style workaround for h-elves.
Fixed-Appearance Focus Orbs...

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6084/afocusorbs01.jpg

-> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U8H7H592

They basically override existing focus orb graphics with a fixed image.
As long as you avoid panning your camera around, you can pretend your h-elf looks like the gent, or lady, in the orb...

Client-side workaround, but since we can't hack game resources - or can we...? - it was the next thing I could come up with.

:rolleyes:

And if I may say so myself, they actually look nice in-game; resizing wrecked some havoc on those tgas.

;)