PDA

View Full Version : Heroes and Antagonists from other D&D fantasy worlds in Eberron

Kekeon
11-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Will we ever see the characters from other D&D fantasy worlds (campaign setting) in DDO? or have the chance to fight or deal with them?

Personally, I just know few fantasy worlds such as the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance. One may know some these characters: Elminster, Drizzt Do'Urden, Sarevok Anchev, Raistlin Majere, Kitiara uth Matar, Lord Soth, and many others.

Some, if not most, of the antagonists (or even heroes) have died in their fantasy world. However, a new developed plot could fit the reason or purpose of their existences. For example, a powerful necromancer could bring them back to life.

This may be a hasty suggestion though, since there are game components more appealing (new classes, races, etc) than this implementation.

Edit: I'm sorry, I replaced Eberron for DDO.

Tanka
11-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Eberron is specifically kept apart from the other D&D franchises through its own lore and history.

So; no.

Devonian
11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
No thank you. They are a long long way from fleshing out Eberron as it is, having to shoehorn in Elminster, Rastlin Dritz Do'Urden and the rest would rather dilute the setting, and with no overlap of cosmology, there is simply no place for it.

flynnjsw
11-15-2010, 10:58 AM
/not signed

I like Ebberon being Ebberon. I do not want to see it be Ebberon mixed with Forgotten Realms/ Dragonlance Light. We already see enough of the fan bois with the unimaginative name copies.

Kekeon
11-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Eberron is specifically kept apart from the other D&D franchises through its own lore and history.

So; no.

Every fantasy world is kept apart from each other (with few exceptions). With the suitable developed plot, any character from other fantasy world would not affect Eberron's history in any way. In addition, they may be introduced in other way, such as the pumpkins or christmas stuff in DDO (as an event).

bryanmeerkat
11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
How about gandalf and maybe even Yoda ?

Devonian
11-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Every fantasy world is kept apart from each other (with few exceptions). With the suitable developed plot, any character from other fantasy world would not affect Eberron's history in any way. In addition, they may be introduced in other way, such as the pumpkins or christmas stuff in DDO (as an event).

No, you see most of the old D&D settings, Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lance, Greyhawk, Al Quadim etc shared a basic cosmology called the Great Wheel, which lead in the end to Planescape and cross game wanderings.

Eberron explicitly broke from this, does not, was never meant to, link with the great wheel. There is no in setting way to get say Elminster to Eberron. Keep the settings special.

Besides, out of context, they don't work.

biggin
11-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Are you blind? There's already 10,000 Drizzts and Raistlins running around. You can find most of them in PvP, just kill them there.

:)

Khanyth
11-15-2010, 11:30 AM

I know what you're saying...... but still no.

Kekeon
11-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to change anything in Eberron. In fact, Eberron is rich in history and characters. I just wanted to suggest the introduction of other admirable characters from other fictional worlds in DDO.

Off-topic: Is there any way to change the title of the thread? I want to replace Eberron for DDO.

dTarkanan
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
/not signed.
I know people have their favourite fictional characters, but Eberron is Eberron- frankly, we don't get nearly enough of Eberron lore in DDO. The last thing we need is to confuse the issue by throwing other settings into it.

Firepants
11-15-2010, 07:30 PM
How about gandalf and maybe even Yoda ?
lol, my response exactly

Maybe Santa and the Easter Bunny too!

Lorien_the_First_One
11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Will we ever see the characters from other D&D fantasy worlds (campaign setting) in DDO?

I sure hope not. This is a different world, a different setting, I want original story lines or story lines related to Eberron, not something lifted from another setting

Zilta
11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
only possible way this would work IMO is if they somehow worked the planescape campaign setting into it since the portals in sigil go everywhere.

dTarkanan
11-15-2010, 08:45 PM
only possible way this would work IMO is if they somehow worked the planescape campaign setting into it since the portals in sigil go everywhere.
That worked because they all shared the 'great wheel' cosmology', as someone already said. Eberron is very different- the plane that Sigil existed on (the outlands, I think?) has no place in Eberron's cosmology- indeed, there is no confirmed 'afterlife' plane, aside from the realm of the dead, since part of Eberron's story has deities far more removed and unconfirmed.

Failedlegend
11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
/not signed

I like Ebberon being Ebberon. I do not want to see it be Ebberon mixed with Forgotten Realms/ Dragonlance Light. We already see enough of the fan bois with the unimaginative name copies.

but but but... DWIZITT , LETGOLWAS, GIMMMLII and MAZTAR CHEEF are super cool

azrael4h
11-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Are you blind? There's already 10,000 Drizzts and Raistlins running around. You can find most of them in PvP, just kill them there.

:)

Quoted, because it is truth. There are enough Sturms, Raistlins, Drizzits, Galdalfs, Yogurts, and so forth in DDO to kill a moose. Or rather, make the moose kill himself.

Please fight against skyrocketing moose suicide rates. Use a real name, and not a rip off of some fantasy character you like.

flynnjsw
11-16-2010, 04:13 AM
Off-topic: Is there any way to change the title of the thread? I want to replace Eberron for DDO.

You might get a smaller bit of support for this from the people that aren't a fan of Ebberon, but if you don't like it don't play it. They are never going to change the setting.

Talias006
11-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Most emphatically /not signed.

I've read every book on Eberron I could find without having to break down and buy the actual game-books. I like the lore and the feeling of the place and it's bizarre and lively usages of the number 13 in just about every facet of the world. There's no need to toss in characters from the other settings as interactive npc's for story arc or quest purposes.

If you want to see the names, just head out to Korthos/Harbor/Marketplace. Should be plenty of unimaginative renditions of your favorite character running around. Heck, they may even resemble them too.

donfilibuster
11-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Funnily enough, at least one of those raistlins is sorcerer. Can picture a dritzz being any class but raistlin?

Failedlegend
11-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Quoted, because it is truth. There are enough Sturms, Raistlins, Drizzits, Galdalfs, Yogurts, and so forth in DDO to kill a moose. Or rather, make the moose kill himself.

Please fight against skyrocketing moose suicide rates. Use a real name, and not a rip off of some fantasy character you like.

I was waiting around for people to grab ship buffs,etc. before a quest and say a guy named Drizzt (It was a dwarf lol) and I sent a /tell saying real original buddy he responding back with ??....so i said that nobody will think your cool if you take an established characters name....even worse your not even an elven race let alone Drow heck you probably get passed over for groups because of it...so he responded :Your an ediot (yes with an e) I made this name up.

flynnjsw
11-16-2010, 09:13 AM
I was waiting around for people to grab ship buffs,etc. before a quest and say a guy named Drizzt (It was a dwarf lol) and I sent a /tell saying real original buddy he responding back with ??....so i said that nobody will think your cool if you take an established characters name....even worse your not even an elven race let alone Drow heck you probably get passed over for groups because of it...so he responded :Your an ediot (yes with an e) I made this name up.

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are.