PDA

View Full Version : Morning Stars

Ganolyn
11-14-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure why they bothered with Morning Stars as they are just a rarer form of Heavy Mace in their present form. I think they should widen the crit range on them to 19-20 (those traffic cone sized spikes should do something!). Warhammers have their x3 and maces (of both types) are so ubiquitous that they have no fear of not being used at least until you can get something better. I don't think a wider ranged blunt weapon will break anything, especially one that doesn't seem to show up that often.

Talias006
11-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Nice idea, but I think that instead of increasing the critical range, just increase the damage dice a tad. Instead of doing 1d8, have them deal 2d4. Not a game-breaker, but more consistent with the general idea of blunt weapons. Since they're meant to break heads, they don't have to have a decent threat range. Just something to make the Morning Star more substantial and differ slightly from a Heavy Mace

Shishizaru
11-14-2010, 09:38 PM
With no grounding in DnD experience or DDO balance, I've always felt that Morningstars should be BOTH pierce and blunt. I mean, spikes pierce things, and the...rest of it (head? body? club?)...bludgeons. That would definitely make them more valuable for characters like Drow I guess (who are more likely to be pierce specced). Probably wouldn't be overpowered, but I'm not so great at judging things like those.

Ganolyn
11-15-2010, 06:05 AM
With no grounding in DnD experience or DDO balance, I've always felt that Morningstars should be BOTH pierce and blunt. I mean, spikes pierce things, and the...rest of it (head? body? club?)...bludgeons. That would definitely make them more valuable for characters like Drow I guess (who are more likely to be pierce specced). Probably wouldn't be overpowered, but I'm not so great at judging things like those.

Using that logic, all axes should do slashing + bludgeoning. A long time ago they placed weapons into a damage type category and they don't allow cross damage types even when they make sense.

Templarion
11-15-2010, 06:08 AM
And all swords should be able to do slashing and piercing.

Of course, you can also use the pommel to hit bludgeon damage. At least reduced bludgeon damage.

Ganolyn
11-15-2010, 06:21 AM

Not curved swords such as scimitars, which were designed for hack n' slash and while you could do a bit of slashing damage with a shortsword, they were primarily designed for piercing.

Of course, you can also use the pommel to hit bludgeon damage. At least reduced bludgeon damage.

Historically, only two-handed and bastard swords were used this way with any frequency as their weight was sufficient to do some damage, but your point is well taken.

Illiain
11-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Actually, according to 3.5 rules, morningstars are blunt and pierce. This made heavy maces inferior in the PnP game, since they were only blunt and also cost more at character creation.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#tableWeapons

Dexxaan
11-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Just dump Morningstars all together.

Give us Flails Lt and Heavy (2H).

Simple huh?

voodoogroves
11-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Actually, according to 3.5 rules, morningstars are blunt and pierce. This made heavy maces inferior in the PnP game, since they were only blunt and also cost more at character creation.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#tableWeapons

Yes. PNP already covered this; in DDO they are (essentially) heavy maces.

MorningStarSE
11-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Aww.. i thought that you might have called :(

Pape_27
11-15-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure why they bothered with Morning Stars as they are just a rarer form of Heavy Mace in their present form.

Flavor. Give people something a bit different. If they want to change itm they should add piercing damage to the weapon. Thats why it has all those nasty little spike thingys, right?

I have to say I use a morning star, but not because its a morning star. I use it because its got Sup Pot VI on it and its not a light mace or a scepter. It would be nice to actually have a piercing weapon in my inventory for the rare occasions when i do need one to break dr.

Vellrad
11-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Well, actually swords was mostly used to make pierce damage, because thrust was more dangerous than slash.

FlyingTurtle
11-15-2010, 08:13 AM
On thing that differentiates them in DDO is that Heavy Maces seem to have a higher chance of getting the magic enhancing modifiers (Efficacy, Inferno, etc) than Morningstars.

Templarion
11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Not curved swords such as scimitars... ...but your point is well taken.

Nitpicking but true. ;) Didn't mean that to be even so accurate.