PDA

View Full Version : The Faithful Departed: Change it

kilagan800
11-14-2010, 02:13 AM
This has got to be the most vague quest on ddo. A friend and I just played it, left the second venerated alive only to fail when confronting the end boss, saying that the mummy had died. Now, sometimes when i play this quest with a party, we make it. But 90% of the time we don't. And this time I think there was a bug or something becaue it just didn't make any sense that we would leave the second ven alive, but yet the drow at the end aren't attacking us, but instead are attacking a mummy? Did ddo change this with the update? Because of all the times I've played it, I've never seen a mummy from half way across the quest magically warp to the end room to fight a room full of drow.

Anyway, basically everyone I've talked to hates this quest. Hirelings kill the venerated. Summons kill the venerated. It's difficult to hit the drow without hitting the venerated. I guess Faithful Departed is just one of those quests you avoid like Stealthy Repossession.

Tirkan
11-14-2010, 02:17 AM
...There's a Venerated in the last room.

There always is.

I've always enjoyed playing this quest, primarily because it encourages tactical play rather than the more normal firewall spewing kill everything that moves style of play.

In addition, I am against anything that reduces the difficulty of the quests in the game.

I think I've failed this quest twice, both times because the party had used too many resources to survive against that last room of enemies...on Elite.

Never because we killed the mummies or the mummies were killed.

kilagan800
11-14-2010, 03:15 AM
...There's a Venerated in the last room.

There always is.

I've always enjoyed playing this quest, primarily because it encourages tactical play rather than the more normal firewall spewing kill everything that moves style of play.

In addition, I am against anything that reduces the difficulty of the quests in the game.

I think I've failed this quest twice, both times because the party had used too many resources to survive against that last room of enemies...on Elite.

Never because we killed the mummies or the mummies were killed.

Strange, just never seen any mummies at the end room, hence the point of the quest: make sure at least one venerated survives, 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3. And doesn't say: Oh except for the other one at the very end. If he dies you're screwed.

The quest doesn't make sense.

Every party i've been in fails, except for a couple times, and firewalls etc were never used. Tactics usually involve, drawing the drow out though the ven usually follow the drow out.

It's just another poorly devised quest.

ekniff
11-14-2010, 03:19 AM

more like poorly worded, imo

jellyfish21
11-14-2010, 03:24 AM
1) Use mass inflict spells in the venerated areas.
2) use Crowd Control on all the trash mobs inside venerated areas that effect every thing in the room cept the red named: Web is great here.
3) Use no Area of Effect Damage spells.
4) Use no melee two handed weapons
5) Use no Bows
6) Target every thing you attack
7) Kill the named first and the trash second, relying on crowd control for trash.
8) Include every one in the party to attack in the venerated areas at the same time, no zerging
9) For the end fight, it comences as soon as some one drops down, so go protect the venerated as soon as you jump down.

kilagan800
11-14-2010, 03:29 AM
more like poorly worded, imo

LOL! rightly worded! The creater's ideas just didn't quite come out like they wanted. It needs to be revamped.

And if you feel that all quests are perfect from the get-go, then why are some quests often updated? I'm not bashing ddo in any way, I love playing it. It's just this particular quest is often ignored and for good reason.

Tirkan
11-14-2010, 03:34 AM
I've never had any problems getting a group together for this quest.

I've also never had any problems comprehending what I was supposed to do - except for that first run through when I didn't know that Venerated were valid targets for my damage, but that was quickly rectified.

kilagan800
11-14-2010, 03:37 AM
1) Use mass inflict spells in the venerated areas.
2) use Crowd Control on all the trash mobs inside venerated areas that effect every thing in the room cept the red named: Web is great here.
4) Use no melee two handed weapons
5) Use no Bows
6) Target every thing you attack
7) Kill the named first and the trash second, relying on crowd control for trash.
8) Include every one in the party to attack in the venerated areas at the same time, no zerging
9) For the end fight, it comences as soon as some one drops down, so go protect the venerated as soon as you jump down.

Well whenever I solo it, I always seem to finish it without much of a problem. It's when you have a group that problems seem to arise, like someone will cast a summons, or if there's no cleric in the group and a hireling is summoned, etc. Hirelings love to kill venerated.

If a venerated is in the last room (in which this was the first time i've ever seen one in there) then at least note that there are 4 venerated, not 3. I think that would help with some confusion at least.

Cleanincubus
11-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Anytime I do this quest, I always plan ahead for the last Venerated to die. I have yet to be in a group where it hasn't died. Everyone usually waits at the top of the ladder, while one person pulls the group to us. Or we all go down, and everyone just stays back taking their time to kill the few that are on the ground, before the stairs. O or half the group takes their time, while the rest of us charge up there, and usually end up in a group wipe (since half the team actually join in for the main fight). It's definitely a difficult quest without the right team work. With all of that said, I've still only failed 2 times out of the 6 or 7 times I've run it with a PUG.

Rodasch
11-14-2010, 10:07 AM

Except Cloudkill. Cloudkill does zero damage to the venerated since they are immune to poison. It's the star spell in this mission. Cloudkill, web, and mass inflicts, and careful melee :P

Phemt81
11-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Exactly, like proof is in the poison and taming the flames, as it is the quest should have +1 to CR (quest level) at least.Toughest poisoning scorpions, enraged mages blinding you, and even the mummies to protect.

Anyway, i had big problems only on elite after i understood how it works.

Lithic
11-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I think the failure conditions are just poorly written. From what I remember doing this a while back, you now need to save 2 of the 4 venerated. I think the failure condition says something like

(Failure) Prevent the destruction of the venerated (2 left)

Failure conditions in this case are that 3 venerated die. The countdown starts at 3, but only appears once one mummy dies, and shows that if 2 more die (3 out of 4) you fail.

(Failure) Kill no more than 10 wildmen (8 left)

Which means if you kill 8 more you fail, as 3 have already died. In this quest, the failure says kill no more than 10, and the counter starts at 11, though the counter does not appear until 1 is dead, and then reads 10 left.

Your best bet in this quest is to assume the last mummy will die, as there are a ton of mobs down there that start attacking the mummy as soon as you get near the dropdown to the last room. If you can't save 2 of the 3 in the easy small rooms, then restart. This quest really needs a 200% boost to exp, or an overpowered item that only drops if you are lvl 10 or less or something.

FlyingTurtle
11-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Your best bet in this quest is to assume the last mummy will die

That's the trick. That last guy is ten times harder to keep alive than the others, so if you didn't manage to save two of the three easier guys, you have better odds if you just restart.

The good news is that if you plan to lose him you can go nuts with the AoE in the final room, where you really need it.

EDIT: The first time I played it (duo) I tossed a Firewall on the first room with the Venerated. Undead + Caster => insta-Firewall. Of course he took quadruple damage and died immediately. There was nothing that mentioned that the Venerated was on the other team and would take friendly fire from AoEs... found this out after reading the wiki.

kilagan800
11-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I just want to add a follow-up to the post. My friend and I played the same quest again and beat it. This time I used suggestion. Unfortunately the drow still attacked the ven. Maybe next time I should try hypnotize/hold person/sleep/dance. Anyway, we still had some difficulty with the menu that states how many ven are left, because of the first three, we left two alive. And when we reached the end room, the fourth died. We were just too overwhelmed. However, when the fourth died, the menu changed from two left alive to one. So that left me scratching my head. If there were four in the first place, and two lived and two died, shouldn't it say two left?

And I just want to apologize for the first few posts I made. I had just left the quest and was still pretty frustrated. But I think the menu does need to be tweaked. I read in prior posts that Faithful Departed had already been changed. I think maybe the menu errors have to do with that. The rules of the game changed, but the menu list didn't, so hence the confusion.

Gorbadoc
11-17-2010, 02:11 AM
I guess Faithful Departed is just one of those quests you avoid like Stealthy Repossession.

Exactly, like proof is in the poison and taming the flames, as it is the quest should have +1 to CR (quest level) at least.

OMG, it's like we're coming up with a top-five list of my favorite quests that other people don't like for some reason! Here, I'll top it off:

1. The Pit.

Also, wasn't Faithful Departed changed a year or two ago? I feel like ANY mummy death used to be immediate failure.

Dinglebarry
11-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Also, wasn't Faithful Departed changed a year or two ago? I feel like ANY mummy death used to be immediate failure.

Yes, it used to be like that, it was made easier.

Rodasch
11-17-2010, 03:40 PM
OMG, it's like we're coming up with a top-five list of my favorite quests that other people don't like for some reason! Here, I'll top it off:

1. The Pit.

OMG I love The Pit. I don't know why so many people hate it. Sure the learning curve is high the first time you do it, but after that it's not bad. I even enjoy soloing the pit with a hireling (to push the levers in the furnace as needed).

donfilibuster
11-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Yes, it used to be like that, it was made easier.

Oh that explains it, i had to read the whole thread frowning and wondering how you could not fail if one of the first mummies died.

If it has been 'revised' already then the quest likely won't be changed again but we can still ask for the proper wording on the objectives.

Phemt81
11-17-2010, 05:27 PM

1. The Pit.

I thought the same until some time ago, a guy leaded me to solve whole quest in less than nine minutes on hard. No xp penalty...

I mean it' s certainly a tough one but if you learn the map and the places you' ll find it on the right CR line in my opinion.

Same for stealthy repossession, it has the right CR but you got to radically change the way you play. Also not doable without a good hide skillled toon, it's true and it can be annoying for most classes. But i guess it is intented to work that way.

kilagan800
11-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Oh that explains it, i had to read the whole thread frowning and wondering how you could not fail if one of the first mummies died.

If it has been 'revised' already then the quest likely won't be changed again but we can still ask for the proper wording on the objectives.

Well the quest changed a while back, but the menu on the side remained the same. That's why it reads 1 of 3 survived instead of 2 of 4. That part really needs to be updated.

TitoJ
11-19-2010, 03:28 PM

1. The Pit.

I think this was more true a couple years back. I took a game break for a year to play WoW...I come back here and next thing I know, everyone's running the pit now lol...I used to be the one leading The Pit, and all of a sudden I find myself lagging behind. There's some tricks I learned along the way too...

kilagan800
11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I think this was more true a couple years back. I took a game break for a year to play WoW...I come back here and next thing I know, everyone's running the pit now lol...I used to be the one leading The Pit, and all of a sudden I find myself lagging behind. There's some tricks I learned along the way too...

I enjoy the pit but took me a while to learn it, and finally did by playing it solo. I was so happy I even took screen shots. lol.

amnota
11-19-2010, 03:51 PM
I go directly to the end fight and finish that off and then work my around the doors. That way if something happens it wasn't a total waste of time. Stopped running this quest long ago tho.