PDA

View Full Version : ddo about to lose a generation of players

MaximusParthas
11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
edited

silvertrit
11-08-2010, 03:03 PM
/not signed

I dont agree, just dont spend so much time on it. If all you do is play this game all day long eventually your going to do everything that can happen at the given moment. Sit back enjoy whats being offered and make useful suggestions instead of insulting their abilities to produce things. I am very happy with this game and Ive been around for awhile.

Kamo
11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
/not signed

I dont agree, just dont spend so much time on it. If all you do is play this game all day long eventually your going to do everything that can happen at the given moment. Sit back enjoy whats being offered and make useful suggestions instead of insulting their abilities to produce things. I am very happy with this game and Ive been around for awhile.

/signed

lazyninja81
11-08-2010, 03:07 PM
1- Bank and storage space. I'd give up all the airships and buffs for one single studio apartment with a closet to store my gear.
There really should be NO LIMIT to how much space you can acquire. It should be successively harder to get yes, but that in itself is a reason to stay in the game. working on the acquisition of more storage space. and pls. take care of the simple things, like scroll cases, potion cases and spell component bags.
I'm sure you know ppl are creating storage bots by the tons. why not simple fulfill a necessary need.

OP's got a point. And considering another thread I just saw about inflation in the DDO economy, an idea popped into my head.

Why not make rental storage lockers available? Players could rent in-game lockers for plat, thereby opening up more storage space and also providing a plat sink for the dev's to use as a way to maintain a balance in the economy.

However, since Turbine currently lets you buy more space with TPs, this is something that may hurt their bottom line. To limit that the could limit the plat rental lockers and allow additional storage through TPs. Cause face it, i most cases DDO bank accounts are not limited by what toons collect but by how much space toons have to squirrel stuff away.

ghettoGenius
11-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Well if you ever watched the same movie twice, you might notice new things in the plot/characters/setting/story/etc. which add depth and detail to the movie therefore enhancing your perception and experience. It is not unlike playing a new character/class through the 1-20 content again. Besides, we all know no 2 quests are run exactly the same way with greifers/pikers/noobs/rangers all up in the mix lol.

For some people it is about the journey, for others it's about the destination. One thing I have found in MMO's in general (DDO is no exception really) is that if you're too sprung on the destination you are bound to be disappointed eventually due to the inherent level cap.

MaximusParthas
11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Sit back enjoy whats being offered and make useful suggestions instead of insulting their abilities to produce things.

didn't think that was what i did. i offered 3 useful suggestions and a warning based on my own experience and first hand information i'm recieving from fellow players.

you have more than 1 assumption here. if u don't agree fine. but i could have sworn this was the suggestion forum. what part of the suggestions i offered do you not agree with?

stainer
11-08-2010, 03:12 PM
1- Bank and storage space. I'd give up all the airships and buffs for one single studio apartment with a closet to store my gear.
There really should be NO LIMIT to how much space you can acquire. It should be successively harder to get yes, but that in itself is a reason to stay in the game. working on the acquisition of more storage space. and pls. take care of the simple things, like scroll cases, potion cases and spell component bags.
I'm sure you know ppl are creating storage bots by the tons. why not simple fulfill a necessary need.
Make a ftp account. Make character on the ftp account. Max Coinlord favor. Max House K favor. Profit.

2- EVERY quest should have an epic option. that would provide a multitude of instant content with little work for the devs. you don't have to stock it with crappy or overpowered epic items. tokens and the challenge are enough reason. Just raise the random drop rate appropriately.
I think the plan is for more epic. Be patient.

3-give the player more creative control. The color of dragontouched armor, (does everyone have to look like a postal worker?) PC body shape and size. (are all humans exactly the same height and weight?) the ability to name your own hand made weapons whatever YOU want to call it. (hey guys! look at my new greensteel greatsword -linked KINDNESS- Now i can kill em with kindness!)
There is a post from a dev somewhere talking about armor customization.

As i said. this is just one persons opinion and may not matter much. but i believe dungeons and dragons never had and never should have a glass ceiling. for decades the option to change, grow and personalize has always been the primary appeal to this game. I understand the idea of bringing in a constant influx of new players but i also know a true dedication to veteran players is an obligation. you should not have to gain one at the expense of the other.
If you are VIP, you have ten character slots. Play different classes. Try new things. Make an AA, but don't let anyone know it is you, so your characters can still get into groups.

Red.

flynnjsw
11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=MaximusParthas;3394217.
Big Snip...I'll use me as an example. I don't watch the same movie twice. [/QUOTE]

I may be the odd man out here, but if I enjoy something, whether it be a movie, a book, or a game, I will watch/read/play it until I don't enjoy it any more. When I do start to not like it is when I read/watch/play it too often. Perfect example; I have read Starship Troopers at least a dozen times since 1996 because I enjoy the book that much. Game content-wise, I could run either Deleras or some Amarath stuff until my fingers bleed because I actually enjoy it. Not everyone one is so ADD/ADHD that they are "one time and its done". Its called replayability, and IMO DDO has it.

TRonbrassring
11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Well to guy above me. You say just dont play one game. Well maybe thats all time he has is for one game, also all the $$ he or I can afford to spend is on 1 game. So in my opinion to the person ^^^ ****. When you want to give your uhhmmm advice about what other people should do with there time. :eek::cool:

TheHolyDarkness
11-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Everything except some parts of suggestion three sounds like a waste of valuable production time. Every project assigned to a programmer is a bunch of projects not being assigned to a programer. I don't want them wasting time giving us the ability to name our weapons, which would only confuse folks.

Simple things like spell component bags are indeed welcome however.

I agree in the spirit of adding more high level content. I want high level content done right however.

I hate half baked ideas. So long as I'm aware that good high level stuff is in the pipeline, I'm happy, and I want it released as content worth standing side by side with Vale and Devils, not just a casual sidequest such as IQ and DD.

But epic for every quest? What? You think it takes the time span of a lunch break to create an epic version? Just like that? Why? So we can gather scrolls for epic Korthos items? Epic Waterworks for Epic Eternal Acid Blast wands? Why do you want them to spend their time and programming talents on wasted projects?

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

MaximusParthas
11-08-2010, 03:16 PM
OP's got a point. And considering another thread I just saw about inflation in the DDO economy, an idea popped into my head.

Why not make rental storage lockers available? Players could rent in-game lockers for plat, thereby opening up more storage space and also providing a plat sink for the dev's to use as a way to maintain a balance in the economy.

However, since Turbine currently lets you buy more space with TPs, this is something that may hurt their bottom line. To limit that the could limit the plat rental lockers and allow additional storage through TPs. Cause face it, i most cases DDO bank accounts are not limited by what toons collect but by how much space toons have to squirrel stuff away.

good idea

KongColeus
11-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I have yet to make it to 12th level

silvertrit
11-08-2010, 03:17 PM
didn't think that was what i did. i offered 3 useful suggestions and a warning based on my own experience and first hand information i'm recieving from fellow players.

you have more than 1 assumption here. if u don't agree fine. but i could have sworn this was the suggestion forum. what part of the suggestions i offered do you not agree with?

The cohesive suggestion of thie game relies on the time of devoted among thousands of player,have you thought about making events or hosting items happening? Player ran contests, competitions , gambling speed runs?

Make some friends it makes the game last longer when you have someone to talk to, Ive only soloed when i wanted a certain item.

flynnjsw
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Well to guy above me. You say just dont play one game. Well maybe thats all time he has is for one game, also all the $$ he or I can afford to spend is on 1 game. So in my opinion to the person ^^^ ****. When you want to give your uhhmmm advice about what other people should do with there time. :eek::cool:

Pot, meet kettle.

Requiro
11-08-2010, 03:19 PM
/not signed

Your suggestion will made no difference (but customizable our gear is a good idea)

But if they implement 2-3 quest with: Random monster, Random trap location, Random dungeon layout... That will be a challenge again. Adventure over and over... No easy button (with Wiki and other). Just unknown... That will bring new, always fresh fun to this game.

But... This is impossible :(

MaximusParthas
11-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I hate half baked ideas. So long as I'm aware that good high level stuff is in the pipeline, I'm happy, and I want it released as content worth standing side by side with Vale and Devils, not just a casual sidequest such as IQ and DD.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

well, to each his own. for example. IQ and DD are 2 of my favorite packs.

Freeman
11-08-2010, 03:23 PM
2- EVERY quest should have an epic option. that would provide a multitude of instant content with little work for the devs. you don't have to stock it with crappy or overpowered epic items. tokens and the challenge are enough reason. Just raise the random drop rate appropriately.

While I agree with some of your points, I have to disagree here. Epic is not content, just a difficulty setting. If I've run a quest a hundred times, running it again once an Epic option has been added won't make it any more interesting. What we need are actual high-level quests(I don't care if they have an Epic difficulty or not), not just Epic versions of low-level quests.

silvertrit
11-08-2010, 03:23 PM

read a book, finish your homework, have a g/f or b/f, make out with your wife, go back to college to find a better job, play with your kids, have a beer with your buddies, enlist in the army or protest against the goverment, be active in the local school, try making a bird house, read the news.

Kinda a variety of things but you get my points?

MaximusParthas
11-08-2010, 03:28 PM
While I agree with some of your points, I have to disagree here. Epic is not content, just a difficulty setting. If I've run a quest a hundred times, running it again once an Epic option has been added won't make it any more interesting. What we need are actual high-level quests(I don't care if they have an Epic difficulty or not), not just Epic versions of low-level quests.

epic requires a completely different strategy. it also opens up quests not normally done by high levell players. almost like adding brand new content. so u did waterwoks at level 4 on elite huh? come back in 16 levels and see the new waterworks.

Draccus
11-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't agree with the title (I don't think DDO is losing vets at any more of rate than they were losing them two years ago) but I LOVE the suggestions.

Talltale-Storyteller
11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
mainly due to frustrating restrictions and a lack of high level content.
I've heard so many say they've pretty much become bored with the game, primarily veteran players. 20th lvs 1-2 time tr's.
I'll use me as an example. I don't watch the same movie twice. why in the world would i want to tr 2 times to do the same quests over and over exatcly the same way. only to reach a maximum limit where i can do 'guess what" the same quests over and over. one of my favorite things about pnp was the fact that it wasn't a static game. i give credit for some of the updates but tbh there wasn't nearly enough. maybe for new players yes, but vets... well, there have been a few enticing acronyms thrown around like eq2 and more. indeed, a lot of ppl are hanging on only for the social aspect and nothing more.
I’m just a nobody with an opinion. so what i say may not matter at all. but here's a few simple suggestions I’ll offer. and i really hope ddo doesn't become a lemmings project where new players come in and vet players drop off in a constant rotation of initial excitement and final discontent.

3-give the player more creative control. The color of dragontouched armor, (does everyone have to look like a postal worker?) PC body shape and size. (are all humans exactly the same height and weight?) the ability to name your own hand made weapons whatever YOU want to call it. (hey guys! look at my new greensteel greatsword -linked KINDNESS- Now i can kill em with kindness!)

As i said. this is just one persons opinion and may not matter much. but i believe dungeons and dragons never had and never should have a glass ceiling. for decades the option to change, grow and personalize has always been the primary appeal to this game. I understand the idea of bringing in a constant influx of new players but i also know a true dedication to veteran players is an obligation. you should not have to gain one at the expense of the other.

You realize your forum join date is March 2010, right?

Like...9 months ago?

Just saying. :)

No but I can get on board with the idea of having more storage, or even maybe the character models, but honestly name ONE, just one, MMO that offers more customization than DDO on how your character actually PLAYS. I will take DDOs adaption of PnP multiclassing and levelling over new appearance options any day.

DDO is not PnP, and tbh it is unfair to compare it to PnP. If I DM a game I can get a hair up my ass for a new campaign and within a week my players all have new characters in a new world, complete with maps I drew on my lunch break at work. DDO can NEVER have that. No computer game can.

Also, no game is going to have everybody stick around. Attrition is expected. Hell I only started playing DDO because I got sick of WoW. :P

Xaearth
11-08-2010, 03:31 PM

No thanks.
How about some original content with its own storyline made to challenge level 20 characters? Not a stupid, mind-numbingly boring grind-fest against blanket immunities and poorly implemented mechanics. :rolleyes:

There's much support for the option of choosing between different skins or costumes that aren't entirely dependent on the armor itself.
But naming your Greensteel? Why?

As far as more customizable character models, I'd love to see variety in models, but, at this point in the game, it just isn't worth it.
If you don't know what I mean, grab a half-orc and try to squeeze it into every nook and cranny in Stormreach... And that's when the devs only added 1 size and race for a character. :eek:

Talltale-Storyteller
11-08-2010, 03:36 PM
For some people it is about the journey, for others it's about the destination. One thing I have found in MMO's in general (DDO is no exception really) is that if you're too sprung on the destination you are bound to be disappointed eventually due to the inherent level cap.

If I could give more than a +1, I would.

MaximusParthas
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
YHell I only started playing DDO because I got sick of WoW. :P __________________

Well. this is my first mmo. I'm not gonna be running around switching to different games. My schedule allows for 1 only. second. I tend to commit to things. I'm a dnd fan since early 80's. always have been and always will be. switching to wow or other dnd wanna bes aren't conducive to helping this game grow. I'll stay here till i get bored then come back and see whats new after more changes occur.

Phidius
11-08-2010, 03:43 PM
The biggest source of frustration that continuously tempts me to quit DDO is the huge dependency on grind to keep people busy.

The Shroud was/is a huge success because it doesn't feel like a grind, but I'm afraid that Turbine has abandoned that strategy for the "give it a drop rate of .01%" and hope that we don't notice the grind.

The changes to the Reaver's Refuge is a great step in the right direction, though.

I still haven't capped a Bard, Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, FvS, or Paladin - not even as the dominant class in a multi-class, simply because I fear the grinding. It's much easier to simply TR an existing build into a similar build.

Ainimache
11-08-2010, 03:44 PM
read a book, finish your homework, have a g/f or b/f, make out with your wife, go back to college to find a better job, play with your kids, have a beer with your buddies, enlist in the army or protest against the goverment, be active in the local school, try making a bird house, read the news.

Kinda a variety of things but you get my points?

I think this is part of the OP's point. He would like to play DDO, because at one time he really enjoyed it. The variety isn't there, though, for him to level up one more time (be it new character or TR). So he's saying he'll do something else with his time (and money). He was offering suggestions of things that would help him stay interested.

Obviously many of you don't feel the same way he does. I can't say really, because I've not gotten a character past level 13 (and that's my most powerful so far!) before getting that "gotta try something else" itch. The thing is, even I'm getting tired of the same stuff over and over, so I'm going to have to stick with something through those teen levels soon...

Anyway, my original point was going to be: The OP has stated he's getting bored. He gave suggestions how to make it less boring for him. You basically told him "go away and do something else, I like the game the way it is". You weren't rude about it, but that's how it (and some of the other posts) came off to an outsider.

Talltale-Storyteller
11-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Well. this is my first mmo. I'm not gonna be running around switching to different games. My schedule allows for 1 only. second. I tend to commit to things. I'm a dnd fan since early 80's. always have been and always will be. switching to wow or other dnd wanna bes aren't conducive to helping this game grow. I'll stay here till i get bored then come back and see whats new after more changes occur.

Don't misunderstand me, I never played two MMOs at the same time.

You missed my main point, which was if you try and judge any game by the PnP standard, you will always be disappointed. Have you tried playing in a static group or PD play? I got tired of PUG DDO within one month or so, switched to PD and now I love the game. Alot of the enjoyment I get from the game is from both the way I choose to play it and also from who I play it with.

Thrudh
11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
It's impossible for them to produce content fast enough to keep the vets satisfied...It would have to be a new quest every 2 days (and a raid every 2-3 weeks)...

When you TR, do you really play the whole game? Or race back to 20?

I'm in the middle of my first double TR, and I'm hitting EVERY quest on the way up... It's a lot of fun, and not repetative at all.

Don't grind Deleras 4 seven times in a row followed by Shadow Crypt 8 times in a row, and maybe you won't be so bored...

Or maybe you will be... There comes a time when you have to quit... No one game can keep your attention forever...

I'd suggest taking breaks now and then and playing something different... Don't play another MMO as a break, try something really different so you can recharge... I like First Person Shooters, or real-time strategy games for a change of pace.

Mafia II was a lot of fun for me about a month back... After playing that for a week and winning (nice to finish a game now and then), I jumped back into DDO excited to play again.

Thrudh
11-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I'll stay here till i get bored then come back and see whats new after more changes occur.

Perfect... what else can we ask of you?

The crazy people are the ones who stay here even AFTER they get bored. (See my sig)

Talltale-Storyteller
11-08-2010, 04:08 PM
It's impossible for them to produce content fast enough to keep the vets satisfied...It would have to be a new quest every 2 days (and a raid every 2-3 weeks)...

I'm in the middle of my first double TR, and I'm hitting EVERY quest on the way up... It's a lot of fun, and not repetative at all.

Don't grind Deleras 4 seven times in a row followed by Shadow Crypt 8 times in a row, and maybe you won't be so bored...

Or maybe you will be... There comes a time when you have to quit... No one game can keep your attention forever...

I'd suggest taking breaks now and then and playing something different... Don't play another MMO as a break, try something really different so you can recharge... I like First Person Shooters, or real-time strategy games for a change of pace.

Mafia II was a lot of fun for me about a month back... After playing that for a week and winning (nice to finish a game now and then), I jumped back into DDO excited to play again.

lol, My "DDO Break" games are SNES roms and Bethesda/Bioware games. Fallout: New Vegas, anyone?

Freeman
11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
epic requires a completely different strategy. it also opens up quests not normally done by high levell players. almost like adding brand new content. so u did waterwoks at level 4 on elite huh? come back in 16 levels and see the new waterworks.

That's the point. I don't want something that is "almost" new content.

justhavinfun
11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Like the idea of having my own house for storage and maybe some trophy items kind of like they have in lotro.
If you are looking for a challange try what a friend of mine and I did for fun.
Create a new character and intentionally GIMP him.Rules we set are as follows.

1) Max out con but set any primary ability scores low.
2) Take useless feats when you start. No toughnees, power attack, empower, etc.
3) No passing items or money from other toons.
4) You can use the pawn brokers and auction house to sell items but you can't buy anything from them.
5) You can take useful feats and enhancements when you level just not when you start.
6) Must start at level 1 not level 4.

Kind of rough at the start but fun trying to make a viable character out of it.

Montoya
11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
/not signed

Your suggestion will made no difference (but customizable our gear is a good idea)

But if they implement 2-3 quest with: Random monster, Random trap location, Random dungeon layout... That will be a challenge again. Adventure over and over... No easy button (with Wiki and other). Just unknown... That will bring new, always fresh fun to this game.

This would make the game.

MaximusParthas
11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I think this is part of the OP's point. He would like to play DDO, because at one time he really enjoyed it. The variety isn't there, though, for him to level up one more time (be it new character or TR). So he's saying he'll do something else with his time (and money). He was offering suggestions of things that would help him stay interested.

Obviously many of you don't feel the same way he does. I can't say really, because I've not gotten a character past level 13 (and that's my most powerful so far!) before getting that "gotta try something else" itch. The thing is, even I'm getting tired of the same stuff over and over, so I'm going to have to stick with something through those teen levels soon...

Anyway, my original point was going to be: The OP has stated he's getting bored. He gave suggestions how to make it less boring for him. You basically told him "go away and do something else, I like the game the way it is". You weren't rude about it, but that's how it (and some of the other posts) came off to an outsider.

I like you. your insightful and couragous to go against the status quo. You even took the time to defend a position you never offered.
Thanks and not only did u get it but your appreciated.
normally i don't offer too many posts because the waters here are shark infested and everybody seems to want blood.

Doxmaster
11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
This I agree with, though I assume there must be some system limitation prevented them from giving us all the possibility of achieving 10 bank tabs. The same with bag space; there are many reason to have this, and they might want us to have it, but if they can’t, they can’t. Even if they could give it to us easily, there is still something preventing it.

I’m sure you guys remember the guy whose rare ingredients bag disappeared, right? Oh wait. Did I say ‘guy’? I meant ‘twenty or thirty guys’. All with YEARS worth of stuff that just went *POOF!*. Fixing that problem will almost certainly delay us getting more item space; all those item slots aren’t worth jack if all your items just disappear, now is it?

Don’t mistake this for me wanting every single little bug fixed either; bug fixes are nice, but new things are also nice. However, what is the point of getting something new/useful if a well known bug makes it completely and totally useless?
I do like the idea of every quest having the epic option, within reason…
Coloring armor? A great idea.
Messing with body shape? Fine idea.
Naming items? Worst idea ever.
Know why? Put a string of curse words in general chat. Go on, get em all out. Misspell a few too, so the chat filter doesn’t catch them!

Done? Ok, mix in some racial slurs. Yup. Every single one you know; don’t forget to go for the races people usually forget! Everyone needs to know how you feel about the people from Bermuda!

You finished that too? One last thing; toss in inappropriate overtones. Oh, sorry. Overtones implies subtlety. Link every dirty site you know, proclaim ever fetish you can think of, name every marital act that requires more than 5 seconds for a normal person to piece together how you perform this and live. Oh, and since you are linking things, set up a site for selling DDo plat and items for real money and link that too.

Then put in on a shortsword. Does having an item that is just the infamous ‘N word’ repeated over and over, or the URL to a virus infested adult site, or a plat farmer’s cash link seem like a good idea?

Of course, they could limited what words we can use, but forcing them to police weapon names is a bit much and I doubt you would be satisfied with “MaximusParthas favorite longsword” or “Doxmaster’s wonderful longbow”. Even that system is faulty, since someone could ninja a restricted name onto it, get their name changed and maybe keep the item with a hilarious, rule breaking name.

comments in…this color.

CrescentCalling_5
11-08-2010, 05:38 PM
/not signed

I have college so I barely play it an hour a day on average, often less. I've already unlocked veteran status on one server, exhausted my TP bonuses on every server, unlocked several AP's, and still managed to get 4 characters up to level 9 after recreating them after buying 32 point builds.

It's not a matter of how you play it, it's a matter of DDO doesn't add any real randomness to the game. I do believe all quests should be epic and I do believe a lot of what the OP is saying. I also believe that more events and encounters in the dungeons should be randomized.

For example, shadow crypt never gets old. Reason? Because even after it's been out there for a good long while, nobody has created a perfect guide to it. It follows an algorithm, yes, but it's so random you can play it over and over again without getting completely bored!

elldur
11-08-2010, 05:41 PM
don't think so (to o/p)

MarkusWolfe
11-09-2010, 08:57 AM
The only one I can really get behind is #3: More visual options on Dragontouched Armor.

FaSo
11-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I love number 3 and thats all, yes, extra bank space would be nice but make a bank toon and farm house k for that. But number 3 would make me feel like this charicter is mine, like how i feel when i play PnP

So

/signed kinda

Malky
11-09-2010, 09:09 AM
/not signed

Random maps in a 3d environment is pretty hard to code indeed, old-fashioned para-3d games like diablo have it much easier on that part :)

Eladiun
11-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Storage in this game is a sad joke. The fact that it is seen as a money making avenue is even worse.

twix
11-09-2010, 09:45 AM

This is kinda how i roll.Im just now showing my face in ddo again after bout 2 or 3 months off.In that time i have purchased and beat around 8 or 9 ps3 games,read about 50 books,and watched my son grow way to quick.I thought i was going to come back to ddo and be siked about half orcs and the new content but i still find myself uninterested in even logging in game.

I now have more fun trolling the forums then actually playing. It wasnt always like this.Ddo used to be my favorite thing to do in my spare time. I guess i fit under your sig Trudh except i cant bring myself to leave completely. I have spent a lot of my free time,money and energy into my characters and to me i have too much invested in ddo to quit completely.

Not sure what my problem is and not sure what turbine can do to fix it but since free to play i have seen some of my closest friends for the past 3 or 4 years quit and not come back. This game just does not have the same feel good way about it that it did before free to play at least for me.

One thing i am sure of is epic is ******** and does not count as content at least in my opinion. The amount of grindage that they have constantly been implementing for the past couple years is also a big turn off.This game always had a small niche of really good people and players where you are measured at your skill in this game and not how many crafted items or raid items your character has.

Now its more of a gear dependent game where if you have the time and patience to grind,grind,grind, you too can be the uber l33t that you've always wanted to be. I understand that this opened ddo to a more mainstream audience and i dont blame them for it but its just not the same anymore.

There are a lot of epic grinds and raids where unless your with friends who know you , you need to have the top notch gear in the game or a lot of pugs wont even accept you.Now dont get me wrong a lot of people know me on my server and i have a fairly good (or bad :D depending on who you are) reputation as an experienced vet who will get **** done and has the means to do it, but i still dont like the idea of this game being so gear dependent.

Now a days for a lot of vets just to make things interesting you have implement your own rules to challenge yourself ,such as you can only use master work weapons,or no armor,or no healers,or a multitude of other things.

TitoJ
11-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I have owned and played the game off and on for the last 4 years. I'm still working on my first level 20...enough said already. Change the cartridge already...it's just a freaking game!

D-molisher
11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I am doing 5 tr char, and well i am bored off epics & same high lvl quests over & over ... like a broken cd.
So when i am done i prob go play some else, thats funn for me.
Because unless you really like epics, theres nothing to do high lvl / capped & well most raids are boring doing over ´n over.
But just how i feel ( ps on tr 3, so prob done somewhen in new year. )

Shaamis
11-09-2010, 10:25 AM
/not signed

I dont agree, <SNIP> I am very happy with this game and Ive been around for awhile.

No, I'VE been around a while.

I dont agree withthe first part of OP's comment, with watching the same movie twice, etc, etc, BUT I DO agree with more creativity to allow players to alter appearance/color/shape, and/or naming items differently, instead of looking cookie-cutter.

Talltale-Storyteller
11-09-2010, 10:37 AM
This is kinda how i roll.Im just now showing my face in ddo again after bout 2 or 3 months off.In that time i have purchased and beat around 8 or 9 ps3 games,read about 50 books,and watched my son grow way to quick.I thought i was going to come back to ddo and be siked about half orcs and the new content but i still find myself uninterested in even logging in game.

I now have more fun trolling the forums then actually playing. It wasnt always like this.Ddo used to be my favorite thing to do in my spare time. I guess i fit under your sig Trudh except i cant bring myself to leave completely. I have spent a lot of my free time,money and energy into my characters and to me i have too much invested in ddo to quit completely.

Not sure what my problem is and not sure what turbine can do to fix it but since free to play i have seen some of my closest friends for the past 3 or 4 years quit and not come back. This game just does not have the same feel good way about it that it did before free to play at least for me.

One thing i am sure of is epic is ******** and does not count as content at least in my opinion. The amount of grindage that they have constantly been implementing for the past couple years is also a big turn off.This game always had a small niche of really good people and players where you are measured at your skill in this game and not how many crafted items or raid items your character has.

Now its more of a gear dependent game where if you have the time and patience to grind,grind,grind, you too can be the uber l33t that you've always wanted to be. I understand that this opened ddo to a more mainstream audience and i dont blame them for it but its just not the same anymore.

There are a lot of epic grinds and raids where unless your with friends who know you , you need to have the top notch gear in the game or a lot of pugs wont even accept you.Now dont get me wrong a lot of people know me on my server and i have a fairly good (or bad :D depending on who you are) reputation as an experienced vet who will get **** done and has the means to do it, but i still dont like the idea of this game being so gear dependent.

Now a days for a lot of vets just to make things interesting you have implement your own rules to challenge yourself ,such as you can only use master work weapons,or no armor,or no healers,or a multitude of other things.

On a only half-kidding joke, you may just be addicted to the nostalgia of a game that used to be very fun to you, for social reasons. It truthfully sounds like you had more fun, and more family time, when you weren't playing.

Perhaps it is just time to hang the shield on the wall? I know that I have no interest in end game, as I hate grinding, thats why I play permadeath and static groups. Yhe social enviroment of the game you miss, is the social enviroment of a PD guild or a static group. Thats part of the reason I stay.

twix
11-09-2010, 10:43 AM
On a only half-kidding joke, you may just be addicted to the nostalgia of a game that used to be very fun to you, for social reasons. It truthfully sounds like you had more fun, and more family time, when you weren't playing.

Perhaps it is just time to hang the shield on the wall? I know that I have no interest in end game, as I hate grinding, thats why I play permadeath and static groups. Yhe social enviroment of the game you miss, is the social enviroment of a PD guild or a static group. Thats part of the reason I stay.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Lol. I technically didnt really come back to the game as all i did was log in and then kill a couple people in the wayward lobster then lost interest and logged off.Maybe ill just stick with trolling on the forums :O

Khanyth
11-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Make the game random.

Mobs in random areas.
Trap boxes/locations in random areas of a quest.

Think about it:

Every quest become a quest where the trap isn't where the player thinks it is and they have to worry about running into a blade/spike trap killing them dead at every turn.
Every quest become a quest where you need a stat to use a rune, becomes random each time you run it... one time it's int, the next it's cha, the next it's str, etc etc etc.
Every quest become a quest where, in the past, you had to do things in a predetermined order, now becomes random each time you run it and each time, it's a different order.
Every quest become a quest where you have to hurry with the buffing before the mobs run up to you and attack, because you never know which mob will come when from where.

But this won't happen.

Why?

Because there's too many people who simply can't handle it. You know who they are. Chances are, you might be one of them.

The player who knows everything about everything and when and how and why it will happen and gets irate with anyone who questions that knowledge. Randomness is the enemy for them. Randomness is the wrench in their finely tuned and oiled knowledge-of-the-game machine. Simply put: too many players know certain quests like the back of their hand and can't or won't be able to handle the fact that what they have done before, what they have encountered before, what time-tested-and-true strategies that they have used before..... simply won't cut it in a DDO world that randoms things.

What is their 1st reaction? Rage. The ***-was-that??? induced rage. People rage over the littlest random things. People rage when things don't happen as they are supposed to happen. People cry "Bug!!!! Bug!!!" all the time and run to the forums. The "The game has changed too much and it sucks and I quit and am taking my money away from Turbine because they've ruined DDO and all that was good and great about it"

People don't handle change well when it is not on their terms. One day, the devs post a thread and immediately the reaction is people screaming doom/rage/nerf

It's human nature. No value judgement based on people.

BUT before you flame away, let me give you an example. And to illustrate my point, I'll use one of my first and still fav raids, Reavers Fate:

What if as soon as you entered the RF, you got a message that the switch was already thrown and you had 1 minute to kill the Reaver before everyone got thrown into the ceiling which was all spike trapped and no save killed.

What if as soon as you entered the RF, you got a message that everyone was float as soon as you entered, and had to throw the switch ASAP before fly ran out and you died because the floor was spike trapped but not kill the Reaver?

What if you entered not in the same area and spent time buffing, but in random corners of the area and had to start fighting air elles asap?

What if you started the game solving the Mastermind puzzle, and your group had to run and keep the Reaver from entering to kill the player solving the puzzle?

What if all of these 4 were an option and you didn't know which was which until you entered the raid?

Just think about it: you've taken one of the most boring, over ground raids and turned it on it's head making it utterly, totally new.

Hardcore? Yes.
Too extreme? Maybe.
Awesome and makes the game interesting? Hell yes 10000000000X over.

And perhaps, that's what people are looking for... taking something and turning it on top of it's head.

Want to change the game.

That's how.

Flame away: I'm wearing my epic superior ultra flame retardant repellant Spiderman Underoos. I can take it.

Dakotahorn
11-09-2010, 12:01 PM
read A Book, Finish Your Homework, Have A G/f Or B/f, Make Out With Your Wife, Go Back To College To Find A Better Job, Play With Your Kids, Have A Beer With Your Buddies, Enlist In The Army Or Protest Against The Goverment, Be Active In The Local School, Try Making A Bird House, Read The News.

Kinda A Variety Of Things But You Get My Points?

+1

Requiro
11-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Random maps in a 3d environment is pretty hard to code indeed, old-fashioned para-3d games like diablo have it much easier on that part :)

Hard, but not impossible :) In full 3D quest (like the pit), that will be some of challenge to implement.

In half 3D, where are lot's of place when you run in 2d only, that will be more easy. 2D tunnels random, and 3D static.

Of course this is only a dream of perfect game. Turbine never ever implement this is game (too much work for them, with no easy buttons)

Make the game random (...)

Hey. You copy my idea ;)

nanobot1994
11-09-2010, 02:01 PM
All nice ideas.

Though, don't include the 'whole generation' anywhere if you don't know the opinion of all of them. I'm happy with DDO as it is, and don't really care for any changes. Its perfect for me, and I'm a strong believer in the notion of 'don't fix it if it isn't broken'.

Khanyth
11-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Hey. You copy my idea ;)

Did I? Sorry

flynnjsw
11-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Major Snip...

Flame away: I'm wearing my epic superior ultra flame retardant repellant Spiderman Underoos. I can take it.

OK after reading your entire suggestion, and the mild flamage that went with it, this is my 2 EP;

Most of the people you are talking about raging don't rage when quests get more challenging. They rage when they get easier. Most of the people you are referring to will do the same thing they have done since the beginning; they will adapt or they will move on. Will there be some ragers? There most certainly will be. IMO, there will be less than you think.

Requiro
11-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Did I? Sorry

(post it on previous page of this threat)
No problem at all. Glad that someone else have same proposal :)

der_kluge
11-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Making all the quests in the game epicable isn't as easy as turning the option on and VOILA!

If it were that easy, the devs would have already done it. There's actually a LOT that goes into the epic versions of quests.

Imagine - epic Kobold Assault. Massive fail. No group in the world could pull that off. Not every quest is *designed* to be epicable.

Khanyth
11-09-2010, 03:43 PM
OK after reading your entire suggestion, and the mild flamage that went with it, this is my 2 EP;

Most of the people you are talking about raging don't rage when quests get more challenging. They rage when they get easier. Most of the people you are referring to will do the same thing they have done since the beginning; they will adapt or they will move on. Will there be some ragers? There most certainly will be. IMO, there will be less than you think.

Most people on the forums don't.

But from my in game experience, I have had multiple guild and PUG's quests where the player knew exactly where everything was, and when he ran through the trap and got killed, he insisted that the quest was bugged and we all needed to quit out and reform, while he put in a ticket. maybe it's just Orien, but I can count on 2 hands the times that people freaked out because what they thought was going to happen, didn't happen

Maybe I am over generalizing, but adding random mob spawns and random trap locations would be great for the game. Especially my RF scenario.

Khanyth
11-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Making all the quests in the game epicable isn't as easy as turning the option on and VOILA!

If it were that easy, the devs would have already done it. There's actually a LOT that goes into the epic versions of quests.

Imagine - epic Kobold Assault. Massive fail. No group in the world could pull that off. Not every quest is *designed* to be epicable.

An epic Walk the Butchers Path would be fun too.

Epic Kobald Assault would be a benchmark of one's leetness, for sure

DasLurch
11-09-2010, 03:45 PM

I dont agree withthe first part of OP's comment, with watching the same movie twice, etc, etc, BUT I DO agree with more creativity to allow players to alter appearance/color/shape, and/or naming items differently, instead of looking cookie-cutter.

Soooo on the money. I want to play a fat Dwarf already. Then I can torment people with a beatdown from an old fatty midget. :)

Honestly, I would love to see some more armor skins added, and the chance to atlest change armor colors if not the skin. Body scaling would be awesome, but I'd say it's also probably not ever coming. Too bad really IMO. As far as the lack of high end content, more wouold ALWAYS be appriciated. Seriously. More please. And not just epic.

And I've been here almost as long as you too... :p

Oreg
11-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't agree with the title (I don't think DDO is losing vets at any more of rate than they were losing them two years ago) but I LOVE the suggestions.

/agreed.

Brannigan
11-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I think once people experience SWTOR from what I have seen DDO will be sorely lacking.

DasLurch
11-09-2010, 03:55 PM
But from my in game experience, I have had multiple guild and PUG's quests where the player knew exactly where everything was, and when he ran through the trap and got killed, he insisted that the quest was bugged and we all needed to quit out and reform, while he put in a ticket. maybe it's just Orien, but I can count on 2 hands the times that people freaked out because what they thought was going to happen, didn't happen.

When we find these folks on khyber we try to encourage them to learn or move. I guess that maybe they all chose Orien, so thanks for keeping them away. :D (jk)

Maybe I am over generalizing, but adding random mob spawns and random trap locations would be great for the game. Especially my RF scenario.

Random traps would be sweet. It has been talked about before, but is also not something that was likely to find it's way to live because of the amount of change that would have to go into the way the game is programmed. There are some in game, and some random mob spawns too. Most of the random mobs are red/orange names tho, and the traps aren't really random, they are more optional spawns in a set number of possible places.

MeliCat
11-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I would /sign except that I think a lot of vets have already left due to lack of content etc.

In fact I know of one extremely good end game player who has looted to the max but has only played for a year who has left for that reason. Now that's a sad indictment on Turbine. Do they track this stuff? Surely they can trend the stats. Or do they just want the stay here for only a year types now?

That said I also know vets who haven't tried certain classes (I've done and capped almost one of everything except ranger) who when I go on and on about how fun something is make comments like 'maybe i'll roll one of those'.

High end and *difficult* content is required. I am relived to hear one vet actually finds DA fun because of it's difficulty - hope they don't nerf it. And I hope more like that will appear to keep him engaged.

(Meanwhile I'm still mastering middle game content... getting there...)

DaggomaticDwarf
11-09-2010, 04:04 PM

What are you doing here ? Didn't you quit ? Oh wait so did I lol.

Whats up bro how is the break going?

Homestarfan
11-10-2010, 12:51 AM
@OP

No. DDO is not about to lose a generation of players. Unless that generation is you 2010 joindate newbies who rush though the game. There are thousands of people still left from when the level cap was 10. And we never got bored.

There's plenty of content which never gets old as long as you play with your friends. Heck, I've rolled up dozens of characters, and STK, Stormcleave, Tangleroot, Sorowdusk never get old.

In fact, the most fun part of the game is the mid-low levels. So create some new toons, or TR some old ones, and quit complaining.

@ Space issues:
You really don't need that much loot to play the game. I never have more then 2 pages of inventory, much less bank space, of items I actually use. If space issues are a problem then you have too much stuff. Just cut down on what items you carry, and only hold those that you really need.

Orratti
11-10-2010, 03:11 AM
I'd just like to see a new full sized city. Stormreach is the only city in the world of Ebberon, surrounded by outposts. Maybe an alternative location for true reincarnations. A few people have disagreed with this before but scenery to me is a large part of the game. I've climbed on the rooftops, been in every building, done all of the quests leveling up many times. Something completely fresh would be great. I really expected it to come along at some point long before this, worked in somehow, but it never happened. I really don't play any other game but at some point I expected Ebberron to become larger.

Over time the city has changed alot and that I do appreciate. House d, house P, and the marketplace all look different then they did before. The twelve opened up, Amrath is visually awesome. The new low and mid level quests are great but they don't keep you from running the same quests that have been run since day 1. I think I would love an option to get off of the boat in a whole other part of the world at lvl 1 and run completely new quests that have the same rewards as stk, tangleroot, threnals, grey moon, cult of the six etc. A larger change that would make true reincarnation more interesting. Something as large and involving as Stormreach itself given as a whole package. I'd even be willing to buy it as a box set just like the original.

ToKu
11-10-2010, 03:18 AM
The only suggestion I would make would be either a shared *money* bank amongst all your toons on an account, or the ability to transfer money from 1 character to another on the same account in larger quanities then 9999.

If such a system exists then I have been punishing myself needlessly for too many years!

Pagan420
11-10-2010, 05:47 AM
you want a game with no content? try startrek online, man compaired to that this game is a big fat dictionary of content, ive been playing daily non stop for over a month, got vip now and the only reason i have to repeat quests is for platnum farming and high exp/turbo lvling, i love this game, just wish there where more adults and old pnp rpgers playing it

Perseu
11-10-2010, 06:33 AM
don´t know i basicly Tr allmost all the time becouse i don´t enjoy the end game. The history is poor, the trama is weak and when you got all equip... its basicly not challenged at all. I prefer try myself with a elite Twilight Forge, Where me and a bounch of 3 or even more Tred and well equiped players at levels 12 to 15 have reall problems to complete tham just go and make the elite TOD that is even easyers since they have not fixed that ridiculous tendon slice thing...

ToKu
11-10-2010, 06:39 AM
don´t know i basicly Tr allmost all the time becouse i don´t enjoy the end game. The history is poor, the trama is weak and when you got all equip... its basicly not challenged at all. I prefer try myself with a elite Twilight Forge, Where me and a bounch of 3 or even more Tred and well equiped players at levels 12 to 15 have reall problems to complete tham just go and make the elite TOD that is even easyers since they have not fixed that ridiculous tendon slice thing...

Have you played any other MMO's? This is the bane of just about everyone one of them. DDO actually is interesting with TR's, most MMO's you lvl up, gear up and then sit there bored until the next content is released.

Huty-Shadowrunner
11-10-2010, 06:46 AM

Awesome suggestions. Im just thinking of EQ when it came out Wayyyyy back in the day. There was a town for each race! we have one. Wow. and dont argue that places like meridia count, because you know what i am talking about. And a lauch there were 13 races, and more classes. And you could customize your char. Hey DDO, catch up to 1995 lol!

Perseu
11-10-2010, 06:56 AM
No toku, never played anyother MMO :)

Angellica
11-10-2010, 06:59 AM
If you don't watch the same movie twice, An MMO is not for you, here's your sign. I still have TONS to do in this game before i get bored. This game is about building characters and enjoying content(even if its over and over). If you want it to be about X, go join a game that focuses on X. You will get bored of that too.

soulaeon
11-10-2010, 07:47 AM
*sign* more content, and definitely more aesthetic appeal to armors because the current meshes are hideous.
To all you saying "get a life" I say, get out of here. This is a discussion on how to improve a game, not who has more time to spend.

Raodin-bel-iori
11-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Though I don't really worry about the reasoning behind them, I actually like the origional suggestions as well as the idea of rentable storage lockers.

I also think that if the outside world were a bit more extensive it'd make things more interesting. There are outside world areas but they seem pretty small sometimes.