PDA

View Full Version : Resists!!!

Battlehawke
11-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Turbine,

It's time to review this one again. There should be a Mass Resist Spell. One that covers all resists for everyone in the party!! Please consider it... I think everyone in game would like to see this one happen!!!

Thanks
Battlehawke

Culver.Civello
11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
/signed

This would be awesome! Not to mention save sooooo much SP.

Memnir
11-08-2010, 10:53 AM
/signed

Zilta
11-08-2010, 10:57 AM
/signed

TheDearLeader
11-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Yush.

DelScorcho
11-08-2010, 11:04 AM
/signed.

Jakarr
11-08-2010, 11:09 AM
/signed

Would be a lvl 4 if considering Protect is at 3 and Mass is 5.

Heronous
11-08-2010, 11:10 AM
/Signed!

Lorien_the_First_One
11-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes please. This would save time and effort during buffing. It's not even the SP cost as right now its often done by rangers in larger group and they usually have sp to spare.

samthedagger
11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
/signed

Would be a lvl 4 if considering Protect is at 3 and Mass is 5.

So what do you make of mass death ward being level 8?

I think a mass version of a spell should vary depending on the usefulness of the spell. Mass aid for example is only one level higher than its single target version, but that is probably due in part to the fact that part of the benefit of aid is already available in a mass version (bless) at level 1.

But I think you missed the point. Protection From Energy is 3 and Protection From Elements is 5th. Mass Protection From Elements is 7th. Considering that Resist Energy is infinitely more useful than Protection from Energy (which I rarely even see used before the elements version becomes available), I would put Mass Resist Energy as at least a 5th level spell, if not a 6th level spell.

And while we're at it, can we have a Resist Elements spell? One that grants resistance to all energy types. I'd be happy to have it as a 4th-6th level spell with a mass version at level 7-9.

voodoogroves
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't care if it has the same spell point cost as casting each one individually. It would save TIME.

Pro-element (singular) is 3, Pro Elements is 5, Mass Pro Elements is 7.

Resist is 2, Resist Elements should be 4, Mass Resist should be 6. I'd rather it be 7. 6 is soooooo crowded.

rimble
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I'd do Resist @ 2, Resist Elements @ 5, Mass Resist Elements @ 9.

Templarion
11-08-2010, 11:35 AM
/signed

I don't care even it took as much sp as casting 5x single resist spell. I hate casting every resist one by one. It doesn't even take long time, it just feels so useless and too much working.

Alternative
11-08-2010, 11:47 AM
/signed

And personally I'd like to see it as lvl8 spell - don't care if it saves sp or not, it should save time.

Therilith
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Not to mention save sooooo much SP.

"This would make my character more powerful" is usually not a very good reason to change anything.

That said, yeah. Convenience is always appreciated.

Culver.Civello
11-08-2010, 12:01 PM
"This would make my character more powerful" is usually not a very good reason to change anything.

That said, yeah. Convenience is always appreciated.

Eh... that was just a side note, thus the "Not to mention...". Even if it cost the same amount of SP, it still would be awesome to have.

Xeraphim
11-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Resist Energy: Force
Resist Energy: Light
Resist Energy: Negative
Resist Energy: Positive

The Mass Resist request sounds nice too.

dragonlo
11-08-2010, 12:06 PM
/signed

Oran_Lathor
11-08-2010, 12:09 PM
/signed

maybe level 8 for mass resist elements... it's a pretty dead level at the moment.

Cleanincubus
11-08-2010, 12:14 PM
/signed

Since there is a Mass Resist Energy spell in D&D, it should be in the game. It's a level 3 Cleric/Druid & level 4 Sorc/Wiz spell. Some could make the argument that it's not in the Player's Handbook, so it shouldn't be in the game, but neither is Mass Restoration. I doubt anyone would even have too much of an issue it they upped the spell level for DDO, instead of what it is in PnP.

DelScorcho
11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Ultimately it comes down to playability. Buffing 12 people in a raid party several different elemental resists is using time that could be spent running the raid.

Requiro
11-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Ultimately it comes down to playability. Buffing 12 people in a raid party several different elemental resists is using time that could be spent running the raid.

This

Battlehawke
11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I totally agree with this... Its just one of those timewasters....and by the time you get through placing three or four resists on 12 toons...... ugh...

Thanks
Battlehawke

De
lScorcho
The Left Side Join Date: Mar 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KoboldKiller
11-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Turbine,

It's time to review this one again. There should be a Mass Resist Spell. One that covers all resists for everyone in the party!! Please consider it... I think everyone in game would like to see this one happen!!!

Thanks
Battlehawke

While I agree with you I can't remember the last time I saw ANYONE hand out resists so seems to be a waste of developer effort seeing as people don't find them particularly useful anymore.

*While sarcastic in nature there is some truth to my statement.

articwarrior
11-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Don't care if it has the same spell point cost as casting each one individually. It would save TIME.

Pro-element (singular) is 3, Pro Elements is 5, Mass Pro Elements is 7.

Resist is 2, Resist Elements should be 4, Mass Resist should be 6. I'd rather it be 7. 6 is soooooo crowded.

yes!!!11!!!!!1!111!!!!!1!1!1!1!!!! time to get out of the dark and into the light devs!

RuneDude
11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes it can't be asked for enough. Mass resist as maybe a level 8 spell is more than high enough for it (i would take it as a level 9 if thats what it took!). Besides we need more high level spells anyway. :)

kernal42
11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Turbine,

Thanks
Battlehawke

Mass resist [element] would be great.
Mass resist elements would be dumb - that would remove the point of knowing what resists to cast! Of course, it wouldn't be hard to cast all five mass anyway....

-Kernal

Zzevel
11-08-2010, 05:56 PM
/signed +1

Trillea
11-08-2010, 06:05 PM
/Signed if cleric/FvS only, not arcane. I don't wanna be expected to carry it on my sorc.. :D

CrescentCalling_5
11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
/signed for the sake of convenience.

Emili
11-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Mass resist elements would be dumb - that would remove the point of knowing what resists to cast! Of course, it wouldn't be hard to cast all five mass anyway....

-Kernal
I agree.

There are many times I see people waste mana/time overbuffing and usually it comes in the form or the resist spells... while overbuffing does not neccessarily hurt at times it may mean perishable otc resources later used.

I would not wish to see the game dumbed down any more... a single spell for all resists does so as takes away some of the fore-thought one needs for any given quest.

azrael4h
11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I agree.

There are many times I see people waste mana/time overbuffing and usually it comes in the form or the resist spells... while overbuffing does not neccessarily hurt at times it may mean perishable otc resources later used.

I would not wish to see the game dumbed down any more... a single spell for all resists does so as takes away some of the fore-thought one needs for any given quest.

Amen. A Mass Resist [energy type] would be perfectly fine, and would save me a week or so of waiting on a guildie who insists that we need every divine buff he can carry. I think he casts them just so he can drink pots. He'll go through a dozen on a quest I can solo with my Cleric with none.

Phidius
11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Well, if no one else will do it, I'll be that guy.

C'mon, guys... the game has been dumbed down enough already. We've been keeping track of what resists we need for over 4 years now, why add another easy button?

You gotta admit to a certain satisfaction at watching that one newb cast (or the clueless melee demand) resists that aren't needed.

Edit: Dangit, my wife called me away for a discussion in mid-post - no one had said this when I started typing :D

Requiro
11-08-2010, 08:01 PM

-Kernal

This is good idea. Only one mass type on element.

But please don’t make it 4 level spell. I speak (hope so...) for all PM :) Any other but not 4 :) (5 maybe?)

QuantumFX
11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
/signed for a Mass Resist Element spell.

nerdychaz
11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
However nice mass resists would be, I did not find the spell mass resist energy in my DnD source material (SRD V3.5). I have the book at home, so can someone verify this spell exists in any 3.5 book?

lazyninja81
11-08-2010, 08:16 PM
/signed and /signed again

toughguyjoe
11-08-2010, 08:21 PM
However nice mass resists would be, I did not find the spell mass resist energy in my DnD source material (SRD V3.5). I have the book at home, so can someone verify this spell exists in any 3.5 book?

Spell Compendium.

Resist Energy, Mass. Level 3 Cleric/Druid and level 4 Wizard/Sorc

I just looked it up to make sure, as I was certain the guy above who posted those levels was right, but hadn't opened that book in a long time, so I decided it was time :D

QuantumFX
11-08-2010, 08:22 PM

I am away from my books as well. But I googled this: Complete Arcane on page 120, Tome and Blood on page 93 (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/spells.php?ID=5120)

chadj82371
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
/signed in favor of a mass resist [energy type]

You'd still need to know which 'type' was needed but it would certainly save time buffing.

Another thought, what about an enhancement line for casters (divine and arcane) that created an on/off ability to mass cast any buff that doesn't otherwise have a mass version of the spell. Thinking of things like FoM, Resists, Blur/Displacement.

Something like:

Mass Spell Casting I - Cost 2 AP - You gain the ability to cast a mass version of any non-offensive and non-self cast only spell, that does not otherwise have a mass version of the spell available, on up to 12 party members at the same time. Activating this ability increases the spells' cost by 5 times the normal spell point cost for non-raid groups and 10 times the normal spell point cost for raid groups.

Mass Spell Casting II - Cost 1 AP - The spell point cost for spells used while Mass Spell Casting is active is reduced to 4.5 times the normal spell point costs for non-raid groups and 9 times the normal spell point cost for raid groups.

Mass Spell Casting III - Cost 1 AP - The spell point cost for spells used while Mass Spell Casting is active is reduced to 4 times the normal spell point costs for non-raid groups and 8 times the normal spell point costs for raid groups.

Doesn't seem like too much of an easy button. It wouldn't really save a lot in the way of SP and the player would still need to know what buffs to apply in which quests. Plus, the player/caster would have to choose to sacrifice APs spent elsewhere to even have this ability and more APs to reduce the casting cost. Just sort of thinking 'out loud,' so to speak, because so many buffs are fairly standard and this would save time from passing them out to everyone individually.

issiana
11-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Resist Energy: Force
Resist Energy: Light
Resist Energy: Negative
Resist Energy: Positive

The Mass Resist request sounds nice too.

the ones in red DEFFINATLY as well as the mass resist plse :)

Tirkan
11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Resist Energy Force: AKA Forceward

It functions much like Globe of Invulnerability, except that it's specifically Force effects of any level, and it exludes incorporeal creatures from its area (15')

Personally, I'd love Resist Energy(Mass).

But I'd also like to see more, and more effective, options for high level spells. As it is, Spell effectiveness against rednames pretty much top out at lvl 4 for Arcanes - Wall of Fire, or level 6 for Divines, Blade Barrier.

Everything else is pretty ineffective against rednames and big bosses.

Admittedly, in paper DnD, using damage spells against high level targets is a sucker's bet - they're probly going to make their save, and they've got more hp than can be easily removed in a few spells.

That's why spells like 'Mass Hold' and 'Enervation' and death effects have a prime place in high level combat.

Except, of course, that pretty much anything worth using a debuff, death effect, or 'save or suck' spell on is immune to everything.

If Blade Barrier and Wall of Fire were removed from the game, would any Arcane or Divine caster be able to kill high level bosses? Not even raid bosses. Without drinking mana pots like they were going out of style?

Would they be damage effective in high level content?

redoubt
11-11-2010, 05:19 PM
This would be good, but you could also put a twist on it.

1. Click on a character in the group list.
2. Press and hold CNTRL>
3. Click on more characters in the group list until you select all you want to buff.
4. Click on the buff to be applied. One cast animation and one cool down. SP cost is number of characters selected x spell cost.

Characters stay selected between casts until you click on one without holding CNTRL. Could also right click on the group and find "select all".

Rakian_Knight
11-11-2010, 05:42 PM
/signed

Since there is a Mass Resist Energy spell in D&D, it should be in the game. It's a level 3 Cleric/Druid & level 4 Sorc/Wiz spell. Some could make the argument that it's not in the Player's Handbook, so it shouldn't be in the game, but neither is Mass Restoration. I doubt anyone would even have too much of an issue it they upped the spell level for DDO, instead of what it is in PnP.

RESIST ENERGY, MASS
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 3, druid 3, sorcerer/
wizard 4
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature/level, no two
of which are more than 30 ft. apart
You call upon the protective energies of
magical power, surrounding your subjects
in temporarily visible fields of energy.

Although the fields fade from view, you can
still just barely sense their existence.
This spell functions like resist energy
(PH 272), except that it affects all targeted
creatures.

This is the pnp version of the spell on page 174 of the Spell Compendium.

btw, /signed

Pape_27
11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
/signed

KanedaEX
11-11-2010, 06:03 PM
One named clickie with that kind od effect on it would be saucy.

Battlehawke
11-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow,

This is turning into a whole lot more than I thought it would... tons of great ideas...

Thanks
Battlehawke