PDA

View Full Version : New Spell suggestions

stille_nacht
11-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah, even though i know these will probably be ignored, seeing as turbine has more importan things to attend to, i would like to suggest a few spells that i would like to see in ddo

(VIII)Prismatic Wall- not so hard, just have the 8 effects proc on things that try to walk through, though the stopping of attacks would be a little harder to implement, it could possibely be left out
(IX) Prismatic Sphere- same as above.
(II) Mirror Image- this would be fun to play with, imagine 8 decoys of a given player running around :], but it would probably cause some lag
(IX) Fly- this is already implemented , would make for extremely interesting questing, though it was (III) in original DnD, for obvious reasons, flying would be overpowered at lower levels, it would have to be self only though.
(IV) Invisibility, Greater- like the effect from the Mabar cloak, would make you the rogue's best friend
(VII) Mage Sword- a new possibility for real wizard dps, should not be entirely too hard to implement, make it like the floating swords in the shroud, except there is only 1, or just keep the floating swords as they are, i dont think modifying damage is too difficult? but im not knowledgeable in coding
(VIII) Iron body- step up from stoneskin, would be cool
(IX) Imprisonment- turbine could make it like a ninth level banish with a higher save.
(IX) Weird- just have phantasmal killer proc on everything within 30 ft.
(IX) Time Stop- just make it increase run speed by 100%, the other effects would be too difficult to implement.

Also, small pet peve, why is Invisibility, Mass level 7? shouldnt i be level 4? just confuses me

Saravis
11-06-2010, 12:57 PM
/signed for the most part

I don't find the current Prismatic to be all that dependable
Mirror wouldn't really be all that helpful, considering we have blur and shield.
Fly would never be implemented as a free to use anywhere spell because they would have to redesign maps to contend with it.
YES! to Iron Body, but not just for friendlies, for enemies as well, it'd be nice to have some enemies that melee is useless against.
Imprisonment would be tricky to implement, already have WotB and TtS, so they would have to implement it in a way that is comparable with them and not end up being overpowered, but I would love it.
Weird would be like Imprisonment in that it would have to be comparable with WotB without being overkill (don't forget we have heighten)
Timestop definitely would be awesome if they could find a way to implement, but 100 run speed doesn't really do it for me, here's a couple ideas:
1: have it be like greater contingency in that you would have your "stopped time" prepared ahead of time and when cast you would release a multiple spells within the time it takes to cast Time Stop
2: a bit trickier to implement, but a local teleportation spell, where you would instantly transport via a range spell, point it at the ground or ceiling of the location you want to go to and cast it

Dulcimerist
11-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I want to see Spider Climb, just to walk around on ceilings and to be able to reach every single rooftop in every public area.

Rakian_Knight
11-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah, even though i know these will probably be ignored, seeing as turbine has more importan things to attend to, i would like to suggest a few spells that i would like to see in ddo

(VIII)Prismatic Wall- not so hard, just have the 8 effects proc on things that try to walk through, though the stopping of attacks would be a little harder to implement, it could possibely be left out
Prismatic Wall, Wall of Wind, Spiritwall, and a ton of other wall spells are all good ideas for when they get the AI fixed so they don't have the problems wall of fire has. Until then I don't think they will bring any wall spells.

(IX) Prismatic Sphere- same as above.

(II) Mirror Image- this would be fun to play with, imagine 8 decoys of a given player running around :], but it would probably cause some lag
Illusion spells are missing almost outright in this game besides a couple buffs and other spells. These would be interesting to see in the game as a new way of getting aggro off of you.

(IX) Fly- this is already implemented , would make for extremely interesting questing, though it was (III) in original DnD, for obvious reasons, flying would be overpowered at lower levels, it would have to be self only though.
Only if they introduce flying creatures correctly.

(IV) Invisibility, Greater- like the effect from the Mabar cloak, would make you the rogue's best friend
Not just a rogues best friend but please bring this in.

(VII) Mage Sword- a new possibility for real wizard dps, should not be entirely too hard to implement, make it like the floating swords in the shroud, except there is only 1, or just keep the floating swords as they are, i dont think modifying damage is too difficult? but im not knowledgeable in coding

(VIII) Iron body- step up from stoneskin, would be cool
This would be cool giving someone +6 str. 100% fort. DR 15/Ada. half damage from elect. and fire and being counted as an iron golem for the most part except when you look at the cons. 50% spell failure, NO BARD MUSIC, no pots. -6 dex. -8 armor check pen. and to top it all off you speed is halved. Not sure how many people would like that.

(IX) Imprisonment- turbine could make it like a ninth level banish with a higher save.
Banishment without the effect of HD and can effect anything so more like a trap the soul without the soul gem or the spell component

(IX) Weird- just have phantasmal killer proc on everything within 30 ft.
Another good spell

(IX) Time Stop- just make it increase run speed by 100%, the other effects would be too difficult to implement.

Also, small pet peve, why is Invisibility, Mass level 7? shouldnt i be level 4? just confuses me
[color=red] No in pnp it is a level 7 spell and I have to say I like it there. Level 4 is crowded for most people.

Answers in red

TimethiefXVI
11-06-2010, 03:05 PM
although some spells should be looked at closer ill give a /sign to it

Musouka
11-06-2010, 03:23 PM
/signed

but make time stop probably last about 1/4th the amount of time of Haste. So extended to 1 minute, or normal 30 seconds.

Trillea
11-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Evard's Black Tentacles!

Black Tentacles
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell conjures a field of rubbery black tentacles, each 10 feet long. These waving members seem to spring forth from the earth, floor, or whatever surface is underfoot—including water. They grasp and entwine around creatures that enter the area, holding them fast and crushing them with great strength.

Every creature within the area of the spell must make a grapple check, opposed by the grapple check of the tentacles. Treat the tentacles attacking a particular target as a Large creature with a base attack bonus equal to your caster level and a Strength score of 19. Thus, its grapple check modifier is equal to your caster level +8. The tentacles are immune to all types of damage.

Once the tentacles grapple an opponent, they may make a grapple check each round on your turn to deal 1d6+4 points of bludgeoning damage. The tentacles continue to crush the opponent until the spell ends or the opponent escapes.

Any creature that enters the area of the spell is immediately attacked by the tentacles. Even creatures who aren’t grappling with the tentacles may move through the area at only half normal speed.

Memnir
11-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/Evans_Tentacles.gif (http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Evan%27s_Spiked_Tentacles_of_Forced_Intrusion)

:D

incineration
11-06-2010, 03:40 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html

the third spell

EDIT: ninja'd by mem...

Saravis
11-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Here's 2 spells, first is a serious suggestion and the second is for the heck of it

1. Familiar: special summoning exclusive from normal summonings, the familiar isn't really capable in and of itself, but it provides enhancements to the caster, if the familiar dies the caster receives penalties for a period of time

2. Gate: I know what you're thinking we already have the Hezzy summoning, isn't that the equivalent of Gate? not in this case, Gate summons a demon more powerful than a Hezzy, but he aint your friend. It'll attack anything and everything in sight until the duration ends or its killed. Its your ultimate "I'm almost dead, BUT I'M TAKING ALL OF YOU DOWN WITH ME!" spell

shugoseru
11-07-2010, 05:01 AM
I understand that they have rez cakes in the ddo store, but how bout a set of spells usuable by all classes on companions so we soloers don't have to spend 300 points on rezzing a henchie. my idea is simple, and includes 3 spells total all in wand form.

1. Lesser Life Spark
Necromantic
Level: 3
Range: touch
Area: target
Duration: instant

Target is ripped from death's grasp and returned to life with 1hp. Target suffers double the normal death penalty and will die again in 5 min unless they rest. Affects any race that can be resurrected.

2. Life Spark
Necromantic
Level: 9

Target is ripped from death's grasp and returned to life with half hp. Target suffers double the normal death penalty and will die again in 7 min unless they rest. Affects any race that can be resurrected.

3. Greater Life Spark
Necromantic
Level: 15

Target is ripped from death's grasp and returned to life with full hp. Target suffers double the normal death penalty and will die again in 10 min unless they rest. Affects any race that can be resurrected.

This is just my opinion but it will keep my rogue from having to find a way to rez a henchie and survive when there is an are with few rest and rez shrines and I'm low on points.

TZX
11-07-2010, 05:36 AM
Timestop definitely would be awesome if they could find a way to implement, but 100 run speed doesn't really do it for me, here's a couple ideas:
1: have it be like greater contingency in that you would have your "stopped time" prepared ahead of time and when cast you would release a multiple spells within the time it takes to cast Time Stop

That could be pretty nice, let's see...

Duration: 6 seconds (it's going to be extended anyway and this'll keep it from being overpowered)
Cooldown: > 1 minute

Gives +100% striding, +100% melee/ranged attack/casting speed and -50% to spell cooldowns.

Combine with sorcerer, Earslug and Litany for maximum nova insanity.

Maybe to throw the melees a bone add an exclusive (bleeding obvious) clicky with one charge of timestop on it :D

andbr22
11-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Bless weapon (paladin lv 1 -> core)
Gives weapon good type of damage, and all clear.

Fly i would like to see in form of cape cliekie.
after activating you get wings and can fly (for certain time). Your wings have durablity of 20 and each dmg dealt to you they absorb 10% of dmg and are dealt to wings. When Wings drablity reach 0 then effect is over.
Additional: Character "hit box" is bigger (big wigs) if character hit with her hitbox something solid (wall, pipe etc.) during flying then wings loose d6 durablity.

stille_nacht
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
That could be pretty nice, let's see...

Duration: 6 seconds (it's going to be extended anyway and this'll keep it from being overpowered)
Cooldown: > 1 minute

Gives +100% striding, +100% melee/ranged attack/casting speed and -50% to spell cooldowns.

Combine with sorcerer, Earslug and Litany for maximum nova insanity.

Maybe to throw the melees a bone add an exclusive (bleeding obvious) clicky with one charge of timestop on it :D

Nah, in pnp, it specifically states you cant harm anything while in timestop

Uska
11-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I want to see Spider Climb, just to walk around on ceilings and to be able to reach every single rooftop in every public area.

would cause nearly as many problems as fly so no

Uska
11-07-2010, 10:28 AM
To the op fly would be one of the worst spells they could add and would mess up all existing quests.

Lorien_the_First_One
11-07-2010, 10:40 AM
OP, I agree we need a lot more spells, and your list are mostly good candidates.

To the op fly would be one of the worst spells they could add
and would mess up all existing quests.

And this is the exception. I agree fly and all climbing options, while they would have been great, can't be added to the game retroactively. They would bust HUGE amounts of the game at all levels.

Aashrym
11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing silent image, minor image, major image, and rainbow pattern added for some more low level illusion spells.

Add illusions from a list of images like summon monster spells to keep it simple.

Silent image as a will save or cannot enter the area, similar to the existing system for characters locations and monster collision.

Minor image the same as silent image but possible a larger area and a distraction, similar to noise makers.

Major image the same as silent image but immediately draws aggro and possibly a larger area.

Make those relatively short duration with will save and true seeing immunity and we have some monster movement control abilities for our controller type casters. The ideas are general but can be fleshed out some. Repeat saves on all as the mobs interact with the images.

Adding rainbow pattern would be hypnotic pattern that simply moves foward in a wave to catch targets.

We could stand to have a lot more spells, illusions seem pretty lacking.

frznvimes
11-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Nahal’s Reckless Dweomer :rolleyes:

kilagan800
11-08-2010, 12:59 PM

Was thinking, instead of Fly, maybe Bat Flight instead? So instead of flying around through the air, you can move like a misphet and kind of bob around.

(IV) Rope Trick: This can be used as a utility spell, (ie, detect secret door/knock). It can conjure a vertical rope ladder. Or maybe even a horizontal one too.