PDA

View Full Version : Xachosian Caster Class

Wren666
11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I love the Xachosian Eardweller. (http://img.enterwiki.net/images/XachosianEardwellerDescription.jpg) More so for the creepy implied lore. I don't know if the "Xachosians" are a part of the Eberron sourcebooks, so correct me if my idea conflicts with the "official" version, if any, but just for fun, here's something which I thought might be really cool to have in the game:

A different kind of Caster Class, whose Spellcasting Ability does not rely on any of the usual attributes related to mental prowess, such as INTelligence, WISdom, or CHArisma, instead, the power and capacity of your spells depends upon your CONstituion:

for you are Host to a Xachosian parasite - a particularly vulnerable vessel, perhaps infected at a very early age - willingly or not; it does not matter at this point, but the stronger your body's fortitude, the more power this alien can manifest through it without killing you.

So yeah, CON is the primary stat that'll decide the number of SP you'll get and the DCs of your spells :) and each level in the "Xachosian Host" class (tentative name of course) will represent the maturity of the parasite and how deeply it has infected your body. These would be the arcane casters with the most HP, with Hit Dice of maybe d6 or d8.

sounds fun? :p Let's see how it could be built upon. Please feel free to add in your own ideas if you like the base premise! Here's some of the Feats and Enhancements I think could fit in nicely with the theme and the rest of the game:

Xachosian Parasite: Disadvantageous Class Feat @ Level 1

Your Trinket inventory slot is permanently occupied. :( Wait! The class advantages should more than make up for it! This is just a placeholder suggestion for a slight nerf, to be implemented only if this Class turns out to be too over-powered in practice, read on...

Schizophrena: Disadvantageous Class Feat @ Level 1
You are often in two minds about everything, as a part of your subconscious still struggles against the invading parasite, rendering your actions erratic on occasion.

5% Arcane Spell Failure chance, to be mitigated by an Enhancement at around Level 6 or so.

Erratic Spell Frenzy: Passive Class Feat @ Levels 2/6/12/18
The Xachosian occasionally wrests complete control of your body and will for a split second, manifesting increased spell power during those moments.

2% Base Spell Critical chance for all arcane spells that stacks with all other item and Enhancement effects, at class level 2, and a further +2% at levels 6, 12, and 18.

Autophagy: Active Class Feat @ Level 4 if CON 16+
You have become more willing to allow, or unable to resist, the parasite to feast unchecked upon your mortal essence whenever it requires more energy.

Can toggle once per rest at level 4, twice at 8, thrice at 12, and so on, to let you use your HP instead of SP when casting spells, at an HP cost of 50% the SP cost. Further optional Feats or Enhancements may be taken to reduce that HP cost.

Excessive Endurance: Passive Class Feat @ Level 6 if CON 16+
Your "guest" wants to survive and it will do so at any cost. It has grown and taken enough control to keep your body going even after your own mind would give up.

Each time that you receive damage which takes you below 1 HP, you will not fall below -9 HP no matter how hard the blow, and will automatically Stabilize. The downside is that every time this happens your max HP will temporarily decrease by 10, cumulative, until you Rest.

Spell Frenzy: Active Class Feat @ Level 10 if CON 20+

As exactly per the clickie effect of the actual Eardweller Trinket: 100% non-stacking bonus to all spell damage and healing for 1 minute. Character is Exhausted after the effect ends. Once per rest, with 1 extra use gained at levels 15 and 20.

Grotesque Reanimation: Passive Class Feat @ Level 12 if CON 22+
The parasite has embedded its will far and deep into your body and limbs. It will force you to ensure its survival even after you fail at your own.

Once per Rest, you can avoid death as long as the damage you receive does not take you below -50 HP. This Feat stacks with Excessive Endurance and kicks in once you fall under -9 HP, and its effect will take you back up to 1 HP.

Exchanging Max HP for Max SP: Enhancements

Multiple Enhancements that you can take if your CON is 16/18/20/22, giving you an increase of 50 or 100 to your max SP in exchange for a decrease of 25 or 50 from your max HP (final values subject to balance of course.)

Xachosian Brood Vessel: Capstone Enhancement
You are no more. Your brain has been completely replaced by a fully-matured Xachosian. Your body is a festering husk of Xachosian eggs, some already hatched and thriving in an ecosystem manipulated to further the propogation of their kind.

Regenerate HP by 2 every 30 seconds, and SP by 10 every minute. :D

Add your own stuff if you like the idea :3

MysteryNotes
11-01-2010, 10:43 PM
...ew. The first few ideas are pretty interesting but the last one is.....

IanYang
11-01-2010, 11:16 PM
The idea of adding a whole new caster class is great, but I personally don't like this disgusting one.

phalaeo
11-01-2010, 11:37 PM
CON would never work- where's the challenge and tradeoffs when building?

So you "build" one, max out CON, and your primary casting stat CON! And, oh- the rest in STR, so you can melee, too!

Interesting lore, but not feasible, IMO

h4x0r1f1c
11-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't like this idea. If you want to not die go 20cleric and you'll pop up.

A caster having Divine Intervention is OP imo so no ty.

Jakarr
11-02-2010, 12:13 AM
**** wasn't inb4 hax....:rolleyes:

Anyways sounds like a interesting class very nasty(I mean maggot nasty)

Wren666
11-02-2010, 01:10 AM
The idea of adding a whole new caster class is great, but I personally don't like this disgusting one.

That's the point. The whole idea of a caster which does not derive power from a deity or their own study of some supernatural fabric, would be pretty fresh and original in D&D as far as I know, and this kind of sci-fi'ish stuff would be just perfect for the Eberron setting where there's already some weird **** going on (Warforged, Quori etc.)

Besides, this kind of anti-heroic theme (merely a pawn to a parasite) could make for some great Evil characters. Its creepiness would put the Cancer Mage and even Vermin Lord (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Vermin_Lord_(3.5e_Class)) to shame :D which is just great flavor, all in all.

CON would never work- where's the challenge and tradeoffs when building?

So you "build" one, max out CON, and your primary casting stat CON! And, oh- the rest in STR, so you can melee, too!

Interesting lore, but not feasible, IMO

Yes, that's where we need work. How about,

whenever you get to choose new spells at every new Level, each spell slot has a cost that decreases your max HP by some points? The more powerful ones will cost you more in max HP, of course, and you could permanently swap out lower spells once you're of a high-enough level, if you want, to regain that HP while losing a spell slot.

I think that'd introduce an interesting trade-off between high-HP but fewer, specific spells, or a very-squishy Jack-of-all-trades (mitigated somewhat by the auto-rez class feats mentioned above.)

I see this as a candidate for CON/DEX builds with WIS/INT being secondary for some saves and Skills. To keep them from upstaging the actual combatant classes by trying to use weapons, they could simply have a sucky BAB, perhaps even weaker than a Wizard's.

**** wasn't inb4 hax....:rolleyes:

Anyways sounds like a interesting class very nasty(I mean maggot nasty)

You'll love the Vermin Lord PrC... :D which helped inspire the idea for this class:

http://www.ravenmimura.com/images/full/VerminLord.jpg

Zectarash
01-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Excessive Endurance Is just plain cheap. First off, clerics get something like this at level TWENTY, and it has a five-minute cooldown. I think Excessive Endurance should either have a) a 3-hour cooldown or something, b) once per rest, period, c) a higher minimum level, like 17, or d) a combination of the above.

Other than that this class sounds perfectly morbid (like me, look at my signature).

SardaofChaos
01-09-2011, 01:08 PM
So how does excessive endurance work? Would you still be able to die if a second hit provided enough damage to go from wherever you are in the negatives to -10 or below?

oberon131313
01-09-2011, 01:12 PM
OP, take a look at the Eberron campaign guide and symbionts... I think you'll be interested.

FlyingTurtle
01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
[list] Xachosian Brood Vessel: Capstone Enhancement
You are no more. Your brain has been completely replaced by a fully-matured Xachosian. Your body is a festering husk of Xachosian eggs, some already hatched and thriving in an ecosystem manipulated to further the propogation of their kind.

Cute, but that should mean your character is now an NPC controlled by the DM.

PwnHammer40K
04-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Cute, but that should mean your character is now an NPC controlled by the DM.hah I like that ^^ Lose control of your toon when you hit 20, and it becomes a mob attacking random players in public areas :p

when killed, the host regains its senses but loses a level and you can log on again at level 19.

+1 on the subject of homegrown classes. Maybe one day Turbine will be confident enough and able to afford to experiment that much, once all the base stuff has finally been implemented :rolleyes:

Zachski
04-28-2011, 09:28 PM
I think Warlock would fulfill our quota of "Disturbing Mage"

I mean, they have Eldritch spells. What else is Eldritch? Freaking C'Thulu.

Yokido
04-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Caster+Only con req+Self heals+?????=Profit!
/notsigned

doubledge
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
did someone say necro?

StelionisIgnigenae
04-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Alternatively they could make Acolyte of the Skin a CON heavy required prestige class. You know, since your basically committing acts of surgical grafting on yourself. Seems to me such a surgical addiction would require a bit of constitution.

Grenada
04-30-2011, 05:32 PM
To balance out high CON, why dont u just make their HP/lvl 1 or 2?
That way, the con would only make them as durable (or maybe a little more, but not by much) as a wizzy.

Grenada
04-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Spell-like ability to go along with the capstone (just an idea):

Remnants of the host
The tiny portion of your brain left (I know you said it was all gone, but anyways) does not want to be parasite food. Activating this ability will kill you, emitting a wave of parasitic energy in a 20 foot radius around you. Anything caught in the blast takes (your hp/10)d12 +60 points of damage. This ability can be used 1/rest

Edit: your current hp, that is