PDA

View Full Version : A classic DDO server.

Homestarfan
10-25-2010, 01:06 AM
I don't know how good idea this really is, but I figured it'd be cool to see what people think. Basically a server in which the game is reverted in every way to Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stormreach (as apposed to DDO: Ebberon Unlimited) Module 2. (I'd say module 0, but mod 2 is when "artificial round attack delays" were removed, and they were terrible, not nostalgic)

The server would be VIP only since the game was subscription only at the time, but F2Ps would be allowed a "1 week free trial". There would be no DDO store, the level cap would be 12, all maps and interfaces would be reverted to how they originally were, the starter zone would be reverted and we would have the old goodblade quests. Explorer zones would be replaced with the old wilderness zones, etc etc etc.

Yes this means there wouldn't be Monks, Favored Souls, or Half Races, but the point is nostalgia, not having the best of both worlds. Except maybe the auction house...

Please only voice your opinion on this matter if you joined before mod 7

Zachski
10-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Well, I think--

Blast. Arbitrary restrictions are arbitrary >_>

Homestarfan
10-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Well, y'know you have to have played classic DDO to want it for nostalgia value. XP

Memnir
10-25-2010, 01:46 AM
I'd have to say no thanks, starting with the level cap being 12.
Speaking only for myself, I see no need, have no desire for, nor see the point of a "Back to the Future" type server. Unless we can get hover boards. Then it'd be awesome.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/hoverboard.gif

khaldan
10-25-2010, 01:50 AM
I don't know how good idea this really is, but I figured it'd be cool to see what people think. Basically a server in which the game is reverted in every way to Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stormreach (as apposed to DDO: Ebberon Unlimited) Module 2. (I'd say module 0, but mod 2 is when "artificial round attack delays" were removed, and they were terrible, not nostalgic)

The server would be VIP only since the game was subscription only at the time, but F2Ps would be allowed a "1 week free trial". There would be no DDO store, the level cap would be 12, all maps and interfaces would be reverted to how they originally were, the starter zone would be reverted and we would have the old goodblade quests. Explorer zones would be replaced with the old wilderness zones, etc etc etc.

Yes this means there wouldn't be Monks, Favored Souls, or Half Races, but the point is nostalgia, not having the best of both worlds. Except maybe the auction house...

I'm going to guess you meant mod 3, as mod 2 was the titan raid.

As for the suggestion, ehh. If you dropped the cap to 10, and got GH and desert to go down to level 10 somehow, I'd be somewhat for it. The days of 1h/shield were fairly boring to me, and I'm sure they were boring to others as well.

Ratnix
10-25-2010, 01:50 AM
When I first tried the game back in '06 I only got to play for a couple of hours before I realized that there was no way my life at the time was compatible with the game. I was working 7 days a week back then and I just knew I would never be able to find a group of people who would be a able to level up with me on my schedule.

With that being the case and me having much more time now, I would like to go back and see what I missed, but honestly I don't think I would like playing like that for long. Maybe just 1 weekend.

Uska
10-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Well, y'know you have to have played classic DDO to want it for nostalgia value. XP

Been playing longer then you and I have no desire for this period. There are things I would like to see on a special server such as no enhancements and mobs hp and sp reduced but that wont happen and niether will this.

Homestarfan
10-25-2010, 02:19 AM
Alright, well as I said, I was just seeing what y'all thought, it wasn't a very formal request.

Really, my problem is that I enjoy levels 5-12 more than any other part of the game, level 8 being my favorite (Stormcleave, Sorrowdusk, The Bountyhunter, Stormvauld's Mine, Tangleroot, Dalera's, it's all there). Before it's to easy, and after enemies have 10x your health and it just becomes a slug-fest. The days when level 12 was the cap (Mod 3, sorry, thanks for the catch khaldan) were really the most fun for me, so I just wanted to see what other people thought. Thanks.

Natashaelle
10-25-2010, 02:21 AM
I don't know how good idea this really is, but I figured it'd be cool to see what people think. Basically a server in which the game is reverted in every way to Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stormreach (as apposed to DDO: Ebberon Unlimited) Module [..]

Codemasters was until this summer running two servers on Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stormreach, although the game was updated to Mod11 -- OTOH no Store, no Free players, no non-VIP accounts, and some few 10-day trial people very occasionally.

The end result is that the servers were extremely underpopulated, as it transpired over the course of about a year's competition with Dungeons and Dragons Online: Ebberon Unlimited that players were and are massively more attracted to the Freemium model rather than the old P2P.

In other words, your suggestion is demonstrably non-viable economically, as proven by the need for the European service to simply shut down due to lack of customers ; and this despite everyone at Turbine and Codemasters' oft-expressed desire that it be upgraded to the Freemium business model.

I know that what you're proposing is slightly different, you're talking about a DDO:Stormreach server available to current VIPs -- but it would need to be demonstrably attractive enough to Turbine to justify creating those servers, and especially creating and maintaining a game version not including the Store. This would in turn require some extra charge on players using that service, if we're to be realistic, but in fact the European experience shows that people generally did not wish to pay for that service and preferred the Freemium version instead.

I have no idea what join date has to do with comments on your suggestion, particularly given that there were two live DDO:Stormreach servers as late as August this year... :)

Frankly mate, if that's the sort of game you wanted, you should have created a European DDO account ages ago, when it was still possible to do so. :)

Homestarfan
10-25-2010, 11:56 PM
That's interesting, but not quite what I was looking for. It's not about the lack of F2Ps, DDO store and such, it's about going back to 2006. And the reason I set mod7 as the "your opinion counts" point is because that's when the revamped the starter zone and created Korthos Island, which was the last big thing they changed from classic times. It's not that I don't like anyone from mod8+, it's that you have to have played classic DDO to have an opinion on it.

Wait, wasn't this thread supposed to die? Darn it!