PDA

View Full Version : Seriously? ANOTHER new DM?

Homestarfan
10-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Ok, just went into the new area, and it's looking great until the DM spoke. It was ANOTHER new voice, it's like every new patch ever since mod 7, there's a new DM, and it's really getting irritating when the original DDO DM was amazing.

Now I will give credit where credit is due, and at say at least this time, the DM isn't bad, like the one in the inspired quarter and the one in Korthos are and is actually pretty good.

But still, for two of DDO's four years of existence, we only had one amazing DM and two cameo quests, and now we have five fully-fledged DMs, and not a single one of the new ones is better than the first. You'd think you'd learn after three failed attempts, that you just cant beat the original, but I think I have to spell it out.

Suggestion: Stop implementing new DMs and get the original. Make this more like the DDO I fell in love with years ago when mod 2 was first released.

Also: If you don't believe me saying that the old DM was narration gold, listen to your narration files from Irestone islet, Shan-To-Kor and Stormcleave. The man is a master at moodsetting, voice inflection, dialogue narration, and has a very sonorous voice (unlike the the inspired quarter DM) and an accent that only helps. The dude is awesome, please bring him back and stop with this "DM of the month" deal.

Doxmaster
10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
The narration for Irestone was indeed amazing, I'll give you that. Anyone know who that DM was? It's quite possible he died, started asking for too much money, started working elsewhere, etc.

stille_nacht
10-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Now I will give credit where credit is due, and at say at least this time, the DM isn't bad, like the one in the inspired quarter and the one in Korthos are and is actually pretty good.

/snip

the one in korthos was great what are you talking about

joneb1999
10-24-2010, 10:29 PM
The narration for Irestone was indeed amazing, I'll give you that. Anyone know who that DM was? It's quite possible he died, started asking for too much money, started working elsewhere, etc.

Maybe he started asking for too much money then died. :eek:

Mister_Peace
10-24-2010, 10:41 PM
I really like Carnival/Chronoscope guy.

Anthios888
10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
I prefer new DMs with each adventure pack. Gives more variety. Some of the old ones are such a joke.

Nite_Prowler
10-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Variety is the spice of life.

Having the same guy DM all the time gets old

Homestarfan
10-24-2010, 10:54 PM
/snip

I'm aware that a lot of people like him, but if you analyze his delivery, it's not that great. He has redeeming qualities, yes, but to me, he isn't as good as the others because of it.

But hey, to each his own.

Bobthesponge
10-24-2010, 11:06 PM
turn off DM audio. easy solution.

h4x0r1f1c
10-24-2010, 11:15 PM
I want to be a DM what do I do?

Homestarfan
10-24-2010, 11:22 PM

If it was just narration, (and if they could get consistently good DMs) this would a valid argument, however, the problem is that he is supposed to be your dungeon master. You don't, in the middle of a pnp campaign, switch out your DM for a new guy every time you complete a chapter in the DM's overall story.

I'll be honest. I forgot about him. I forget what he sounds like.

stille_nacht
10-24-2010, 11:25 PM
if change is the spice of life, we need to get a guy with a heavy indian accent DMin on some quest chain 8D

^would be interesting you have to admit

but yeah, i dont really notice the change in voice too much unless a dm does one of those horrible impressions, wish they'd make content where npcs have voices like in korthos, that was the pinnacle of setting the scene

dormetheus
10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
If it was just narration, (and if they could get consistently good DMs) this would a valid argument, however, the problem is that he is supposed to be your dungeon master. You don't, in the middle of a pnp campaign, switch out your DM for a new guy every time you complete a chapter in the DM's overall story.

Yeah, but technically, each new update is a new campaign, or, you know, MOD. Our PnP groups would often switch DMs for different MODs.

HEroman
10-24-2010, 11:35 PM

/signed

Zachski
10-24-2010, 11:44 PM

How about looking at them like a team of DMs who sometime fill in for each other?

stille_nacht
10-24-2010, 11:46 PM
they should have two DMs argue about how to narrate a quest in the middle of a boss fight :p

Zachski
10-24-2010, 11:49 PM
they should have two DMs argue about how to narrate a quest in the middle of a boss fight :p

They really should.

By the way, what are some funny DM moments? I remember hearing about some, but I don't remember what they are. Wasn't there a case where the DM just suddenly decided not to follow the script or something?

Doxmaster
10-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Such a thing would become annoying quickly. It would be great for a special event though.
[quote]
DM1: "As the last orc falls to your party..."
DM2: "No, there is still the ambush behind them."
DM1: "I was getting to that! Great, now you've spoiled it!"
*Orcs appear behind the party.*
DM1: "Oh, what's the point? Forget the ambush."

*Orcs disappear*
DM2: Did they notice the secret lever in the corner yet?
DM1: "ARRGGGHHHHH"

Homestarfan
10-25-2010, 12:00 AM
They really should.

By the way, what are some funny DM moments? I remember hearing about some, but I don't remember what they are. Wasn't there a case where the DM just suddenly decided not to follow the script or something?

I don't remember anything like that, but my absolute favorite quote in the game is "'I'll kill you, KILL YOU ALL!!' And then he dies, effectively calling his own bluff." from Irestone Inlet.

Doxmaster
10-25-2010, 12:01 AM
I don't remember anything like that, but my absolute favorite quote in the game is "'I'll kill you, KILL YOU ALL!!' And then he dies, effectively calling his own bluff."

THAT is why I love Irestone. When I'm feeling down I harrass kobold assault on my higher level toons, then go repeat that in Irestone because I just plain love it.

stille_nacht
10-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Such a thing would become annoying quickly. It would be great for a special event though.
[quote]

*Orcs disappear*

xD
itd be awesome if it happened like a DM was walking in the room

(dm from korthos- best voice imho, though maybe not skill)
"Aussierex roars at- "
(dm from IQ walks in, sound of a door opening and shutting)
"Hey David"
"I am narrating...." (still in his epic voice for quest mode)
"you are supposed to say as aussierex shrieks at them"
"dragons shriek they roar" (still in his epic quest voice)
"but the script says-"
"shut up"

all the while you are being attacked by a dragon

Zachski
10-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Considering death didn't stop Drexelhand, it is kinda farfetched to say that he called his own bluff. Though all the same, it's humorous and I'm just nitpicking.

Farayon
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
The new female DM is actually pretty good imo, I kinda like her narrating. Yet, I like the 2 male 'standard' DM's even more and hope they'll return to narrating in the future, they definitely are the best ones.

The only DM whose narrating I don't quite like is the pseudo Australian one.

Adding new DM voices is not bad as long as they're good.

Raveneia
10-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Yeah the new female DM isn't actually new..It's celemas (or whatever) her name is from shipwreck tut on korthos).

IMO she has a great voice for a female DM.

I haven't heard the other new ones as of yet.

Therilith
10-25-2010, 12:48 AM
The original DM is easily my favorite.
The new ones aren't exactly bad either (although some are better than others), but I would really like it if they'd bring the original back.

Assuming he's not... y'know, dead.

melkor1702
10-25-2010, 12:49 AM
DMs are over powered and should be nerfed :p

Templarion
10-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Korthos DM ftw! He is the best.

BossOfEarth
10-25-2010, 12:56 AM
They really should.

By the way, what are some funny DM moments? I remember hearing about some, but I don't remember what they are. Wasn't there a case where the DM just suddenly decided not to follow the script or something? VoN 1 Thrakash Arena.

DM as sports broadcaster: The Stormreach team has spilled a sea of blood today, but they have not yet sailed to victory!

My favorite though is Gary with his line about how the Ghostly skeletons don't seem entirely solid. I laugh because it sounds like he's got an inside joke -- probably that he knows about DR 9999/Good and the Club of the Silver Flame.

Holymosher
10-25-2010, 12:57 AM
/snip

Lol this might be a little creepy , but I run korthos all the time for the DM , and I'm level 20....

Dulcimerist
10-25-2010, 01:00 AM
What would happen if they made a quest pack where the dude who voiced Jeets was the DM, and narrated as Jeets?

That would be the cruelest thing ever... ;)

der_kluge
10-25-2010, 10:45 AM
The guy who does the Cry For Help quest is the best.

Eladiun
10-25-2010, 10:47 AM

Agreed I like the new guy too.

k1ngp1n
10-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Excitedly awaiting the 'Nerf the mute DM slider! It one-shot me!' post.

madmaxhunter
10-25-2010, 10:57 AM

In my distant memory, pnp campaign DMs voice was mid-pubescent squeak, with an underlying tone of retainer!

ZodacBKB
10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
The guy who does the Cry For Help quest is the best.

Every time that guy does the captive's voice I die a little inside.

Tom318
10-25-2010, 11:12 AM

I'll never get tired of hearing him say "yaaryar", or hearing him say "This place belongs to the quickfeet" :)

katana_one
10-25-2010, 11:12 AM
[quote]

*Orcs disappear*

I admit that two arguing DMs would be funny, what would be much more like PnP games would be the forgetful DM.

"As the <fill in the blank> falls, you see ... oh geez! I forgot all about his DR, sorry guys."
*<fill in the blank> gets back up with partial HP, but now has DR*

MustangMan94
10-25-2010, 11:14 AM
I think the only one that drives me nuts is the two different DM's in the Information is Ket quest. Starting out with one DM just to have another one come in and hint to the secret passage drives me bonkers~!

Ciaran
10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
The new ones aren't exactly bad either (although some are better than others), but I would really like it if they'd bring the original back.

I like the original DM the best as well, hands down.

Can't stand the Korthos one, the one who pronounces "thus" with a lisp. Also, the IQ guy sounds pretty off too...I don't know how to describe it - he just sounds kind of lame.

What drives me nuts is three different DM's in the same dungeon. Example - Information is Key (Osgood's Basement) in the harbor. It's like they started replacing the original DM's narration with more recent DMs but never finished or something. You get the original DM, the IQ guy and Korthos guy all in the same dungeon - odd to say the least (not to mention incongruous and slightly maddening) !

Dragavon
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Jar Jar Binks for DM :D

katana_one
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Heh. Just thought of another one. Instead of the arguing DMs, or my forgetful DM suggestion.

For some of that old school PnP feel:

DM Voice: "You enter a room and you see ..."
Distant shouting voice: "Francis! I need you to take out the garbage!"
DM Voice (kind of whiney): "But Mom, we're playing D&D! I'll do it later!"

der_kluge
10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
I like the original DM the best as well, hands down.

Can't stand the Korthos one, the one who pronounces "thus" with a lisp. Also, the IQ guy sounds pretty off too...I don't know how to describe it - he just sounds kind of lame.

What drives me nuts is three different DM's in the same dungeon. Example - Information is Key (Osgood's Basement) in the harbor. It's like they started replacing the original DM's narration with more recent DMs but never finished or something. You get the original DM, the IQ guy and Korthos guy all in the same dungeon - odd to say the least (not to mention incongruous and slightly maddening) !

That may be the same guy who says "resilient spider webs" and it always sounds like "Brazilian spider webs" to me.

underpants
10-25-2010, 11:54 AM
I thought all the voice talent was very well done and added to the overall experience. It shows advancement in the games content and popularity.

/good job voice over guys

Ciaran
10-25-2010, 11:54 AM
That may be the same guy who says "resilient spider webs" and it always sounds like "Brazilian spider webs" to me.

Yeah, same guy I think. You're referring to the narration in "Sacrifices", right?

I'll probably get accosted for this, but much as I appreciate Dave Arneson's contributions to D&D...I can't STAND his narration in Threnal. It sounds so forced, unnatural and disinterested.

patang01
10-25-2010, 11:59 AM
The GH raid voice and necropolis - those are some bad voice acting.

The GH raid female version...classic bad. The taunting Vampire in that quest where you go to all these rooms looking for gears and it's kind of random where you end up...very bad.

Bad in a nerdy kind of way.

I actually like the latest DMs. A lot more 'into the role' kind of thing.

Monroid
10-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Information is Key has THREE Dungeon Masters D:

And not to mention the WW area and some other harbor quests

Ciaran
10-25-2010, 12:04 PM
The GH raid voice and necropolis - those are some bad voice acting.

The GH raid female version...classic bad. The taunting Vampire in that quest where you go to all these rooms looking for gears and it's kind of random where you end up...very bad.

Bad in a nerdy kind of way.

I actually like the latest DMs. A lot more 'into the role' kind of thing.

Oh gods, I nearly stabbed out my eardrums doing Shadow Crypt this weekend. I'd forgotten about the attempted voice acting of Nerezza. :(

I like the female narration of the explorer areas in Orchard though, as well as the female narration in the Droaam quests.

Fomori
10-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Kittens just died... seriously you just killed kittens! Cute cuddly kittens already in loving homes, not strays or sheltered.

clkpacker
10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
I love the DM in the Red Fens. He gets so into it--his giant voice from Claws of Vulkoor is so DRAMATIC, even if Ionna's whispering, while well done, get annoying after a while.

Natashaelle
10-25-2010, 01:20 PM

*Orcs disappear*

Wow -- that's actually an AWESOME idea :D ; it could be some quest themed around the idea of squabbling gods, that the players need to reconcile or something, or perhaps with two utterly different quest resolutions possible depending which of the DMs they listen to ?

charredrex
10-25-2010, 02:01 PM

So I'm not the only one!

And if the old DM is the one that did Cry for Help in GiantHold I have to respectively disagree. I mute my game sounds every time I go near that quest. The Coalescent Chamber is another one that makes me cringe when the DMs interpretation of the character changes from line to line. One time it's squeaky and annoying the next fairly normal and then back to squeaky followed by booming and benevolent.

I like the new blood they've brought in and especially like that they have different voices for actual characters instead of the DM doing all the voice chores. Brings a more immersive feel to it.

Alabore
10-25-2010, 02:18 PM
"Did that pipsqueak send you all lonesome? I want to see you try..."

;)

Stray idea: the narrator from The Bard's Tale.
Including his accent and cheek...

:rolleyes:

Lorien_the_First_One
10-25-2010, 02:28 PM

I think they should bring Gary back to do the last chapter in the Storm Reaver storyline. I think he would be perfect to tell the story of an undead dragon lich, you know, given that he would also be back from the dead.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Information is Key has THREE Dungeon Masters D:

And not to mention the WW area and some other harbor quests

Thats because they keep rerecording/adding new info to make it easier for new players. Can't have them figuring out anything on their own!

wolflordnexus
10-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Yeah, same guy I think. You're referring to the narration in "Sacrifices", right?

I'll probably get accosted for this, but much as I appreciate Dave Arneson's contributions to D&D...I can't STAND his narration in Threnal. It sounds so forced, unnatural and disinterested.

Just so you won't be alone with all the neg rep.
I personally find both Daves and Garry's voices to be jarring and obtrusive. I don't think they should remove them or anything both of them deserve their cameo and it was kind of exiting the first time through those quests. Honestly though I wish they had picked a far more annoying and difficult quest for Garry (AKA Tomb of horrors) like say a quest with disintegration traps every 2 feet or so.

Crazyfruit
10-25-2010, 02:59 PM

I think he also did the vaults for Asheron's Call 2 (narrated movies)
Comparing the ddo credits & there might help :)

I liked the last one. His red fens quests & that brawnpits one... :D

Ciaran
10-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Just so you won't be alone with all the neg rep.
I personally find both Daves and Garry's voices to be jarring and obtrusive. I don't think they should remove them or anything both of them deserve their cameo and it was kind of exiting the first time through those quests. Honestly though I wish they had picked a far more annoying and difficult quest for Garry (AKA Tomb of horrors) like say a quest with disintegration traps every 2 feet or so.

OMG I'd love to see a Tomb of Horrors style quest (if not the module placed in DDO in toto with the obvious considerations both for Eberron and an MMO made).

That said, that adventure is pretty counter to the normal style of play in DDO (which favors the "kick in the door" style much more). Still, would be awesome to see that in DDO. +1 rep for you.

I've been meaning to work up a proposal post outlining my idea for incorporating "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" into DDO. I need to get around to that.

Club'in
10-25-2010, 03:21 PM

"The White zone is for loading and unloading only."

Diyon
10-26-2010, 05:15 AM
So I'm not the only one!

And if the old DM is the one that did Cry for Help in GiantHold I have to respectively disagree. I mute my game sounds every time I go near that quest. The Coalescent Chamber is another one that makes me cringe when the DMs interpretation of the character changes from line to line. One time it's squeaky and annoying the next fairly normal and then back to squeaky followed by booming and benevolent.

I like the new blood they've brought in and especially like that they have different voices for actual characters instead of the DM doing all the voice chores. Brings a more immersive feel to it.

But the crazy voice changing Djinni is the best part of Coalescence Chamber!!!

As to the changing voices for different characters in some of the newer quests, I'm almost absolutely certain that's not different DMs doing the different voices, I'm pretty sure that's just one DM doing an awesome job. Speaking of which, the DM voicing in the Red Fens is awesome, the Last Stand's drow leader's desperation is one of my favorite parts of it.

PNellesen
10-26-2010, 05:41 AM
What would happen if they made a quest pack where the dude who voiced Jeets was the DM, and narrated as Jeets?

No.

Just... no.

r00k
10-26-2010, 06:00 AM
I would like to see vin diesel get a role in the game.
He's done voice acting before and I think he'd do justice for and end boss.

EricZanzibar
10-26-2010, 06:57 AM
i can't say i've ever really noticed but i'll pay more attention now.
it bugs me when players on voice chat talk over the DM though... grrr. especially when its one i've not done before.
Vin Diesel? Ha, would be interesting. He apparantly likes his D&D too!

cdbd3rd
10-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Kobold DMs.

"You not feel any air moves. You continue along..."

*Character begins Search process.*

"I say NO!, You not find..."

*secret door phases into view.*

"GET AWAY FROM DOOR! I... YARK YOU!!! I BITE YOU FACE!!"

*Character opens door.*

"I HATE YOU ALWAYS! I NEVER FORGET!!"

Homestarfan
10-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I think he also did the vaults for Asheron's Call 2 (narrated movies)
Comparing the ddo credits & there might help :)

Someone get on this please!

And if the old DM is the one that did Cry for Help in GiantHold I have to respectively disagree.
What are you talking about? That was a wonderful performance. Yet it sounded annoying, but it was the perfect voice for a burly rakshasa trying to sound like a maiden's plaintiff cry for help. It's the very reason you know it's a trap. (In more ways than one)

dranreb
10-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Would it really cost that much to get James Earl Jones or someone of that caliber?

I mean, I bet you could get every subscriber to chip in 5 or 10 TP to help pay for it.

CaptainCameo
10-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Can anyone say "National Geographic Special"

Dulcimerist
10-26-2010, 03:17 PM
I wonder if it would freak players out if a new quest had a very seductive-sounding woman's voice that somehow made everything sound just a tad bit naughty...

Zachski
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Actually, I second Jeets as a DM.

I also second a Kobold as a DM. That would be hilarious. Though use the good-aligned kobold that you helped rescue killer abused dogs from his home at his request.

WaltzInBlack
10-26-2010, 03:35 PM
I wish they would search the world over and actually find a "soft feminine voice"..

......that is correct, your audio device should be disabled......

TheDearLeader
10-26-2010, 03:37 PM
I respectfully disagree with OP.

More variety in DMs is delightful. Please continue to do your thing, Devs.

Also, Bruce Campbell for DDO DM, 2011. We'll get on the Campaign Trail shortly.

Shop Smart, Shop S Mart.

Ciaran
10-26-2010, 03:38 PM
I wonder if it would freak players out if a new quest had a very seductive-sounding woman's voice that somehow made everything sound just a tad bit naughty...

Considering the puritanical outrage when the succubus used to be at the top of the forums?

Probably.

EricZanzibar
10-26-2010, 05:55 PM

I'd drink to that... ha ha

dunklezhan
10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
I haven't read the rest of the thread. But I wanted to say having done Chronoscope tonight that the DM and NPC voiceovers in there were awesome. Awe. Some. More of that please, I don't care how many new DMs you get.

Also - I like that there are different DMs. That makes it feel more like AD&D than almost anything else in the game now they've (wrongly! WRONGLY!!!) done away with dice notations as the main source of game mechanic feedback.

More DMs please.
More girl DMs.
More boy DMs
More old DMs, more young DMs
More DMs with accents or DMs with speech impediments, DMs with overly elocuted syllables.
Good DMs, Evil DMs, sympathetic DMs, mocking DMs, melodramatic DMs, DMs with silly voices or DMs with professional voiceover assistance for NPCs. Even autotuned DMs, if you feel you must.

Maybe avoid monotonous DMs, but other than that I really don't care - it makes it feel more like 'real' AD&D and less like a souless video game, and therefore I'm in favour.

noinfo
10-26-2010, 06:44 PM

You do know DMing is about questing and not PVP? :D

r00k
10-30-2010, 10:04 PM

(NZ accent) As the seamen probed the *decks* of the *ships* they searched for the forbiden *sixty six* salty meats.

Homestarfan
10-31-2010, 02:13 AM
I just want the old DM back...or to at least know who he is...

EustaceTrevelyan
10-31-2010, 03:08 AM
but yeah, i dont really notice the change in voice too much unless a dm does one of those horrible impressions, wish they'd make content where npcs have voices like in korthos, that was the pinnacle of setting the scene

Yeah, except for Cellimas. Whoever voiced her seriously needs to be hunted down and muzzled .

But yeah, the best DM is the original, except when he tried to do character voices. He had some of the best narrative ability ever, but his voices sucked utter bollocks.

Praps they could get whoever did Jeets, he rocked.

Dulcimerist
11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SouhxAZoTi4

This is why we need John Madden as a DM voice in DDO!

Ralos
11-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I wish they put back Gygax DM voice, there still reusing the tutorial quests, why not reuse his voice too?

Azoralq
11-07-2010, 02:40 PM
The DM in the Inspired Quarter is - simply put - amazing..can't help but think I've heard him somewhere else, though.

Azoralq
11-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I wish they put back Gygax DM voice, there still reusing the tutorial quests, why not reuse his voice too?

cause he's dead?

RequiemVampie
11-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but the worst moment in DM narration is in PoP. You know the one. The 'supposed' female voice saying "The chamber will seal in 10 seconds".

Yes, the original DM was great.
Seeing more guest DMs would be cool as well. (Vin Diesel is a fan of D&D, ask him)
Glad to see that they've been using more female actors/DMs.

RequiemVampie
11-07-2010, 03:31 PM

NO! For the sake of the Draconic Prophecy and all that is holy to the Sovereign Host....NO!

The game will go the way of the 'new' trilogy. :p

The Old Trilogy is the Holy One. :D

Lewcipher
11-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't remember anything like that, but my absolute favorite quote in the game is "'I'll kill you, KILL YOU ALL!!' And then he dies, effectively calling his own bluff." from Irestone Inlet.

The quest Cry for Help out in Gianthold. Still makes me laugh when I hear it.

Ralos
11-07-2010, 03:39 PM
cause he's dead?

he recorded a few DM voices before his death, at least a few where used for the tutorial quests, the basic same that are today.

ZeroStar
11-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I really really love the Korthos DM voice. I'm not a big fan of the dude that sounds like Tuvac from voyager.

I don't have a problem, personally, with the adding of new voices as this isn't actually your DM and it's just part of a video game. My problem comes from walking down a dungeon hall and in the same pathway getting 2 or 3 differant voices on one adventure. That's wack... and kind of distracting.