PDA

View Full Version : The Master of All

Martdon
10-24-2010, 02:16 AM
I have seen people ask if getting both Ninja Spy II, Touch of Death and Void Strike IV is possible, and how it would be done.
So here is a Monk I have rolled up and gotten to level 8 so far, that not only will have Ninja Spy II, Touch of Death and Void Strike IV, but also two GM stances-Fire to fight and for Ki (gonna need it) and Mountain for strike, and even Lesser Dragonmark of Shadow, for displacement, that can be cast 5x. Displacement along with the Ninja Spy I ability Shadow Fade, gives enemies a 62.5% chance to miss.

I imagine this is how I would attack enemies.
Trash Mobs: Void Strike IV (Eraser), Unbalancing Strike (Vulnerable to Sneak Attack), Strike of Enduring IV, Strike of Enduring III, Fists of Iron, The Trembling Earth (Finisher)

For bosses, I wouldn't use Void Strike IV and Unbalancing Strike.
Boss cannot be insta-killed, and for most bosses that can be SA, this character shouldn't grab aggro.

So the normal Earth-Earth-Earth-Finisher, throwing in ToD against bosses that are vulnerable to negative energy damage. Can also do Fire-Fire-Fire-Finisher, against mobs vulnerable to fire, or as needed.

Keep Shadow Fade up (25% Concealment) and use Displacement if you suddenly find yourself the center of a raid boss's attention.

And if you suddenly need DEX or WIS for either AC/DC (hehe) you still are a Master of both Water and Wind.

So here we go, the Master of All, Dark Monk build.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.7.0 BETA
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Neutral Elf Male
(20 Monk)
Hit Points: 302
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 16
Reflex: 16
Will: 17

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 18
Dexterity 16 18
Constitution 12 18
Intelligence 8 10
Wisdom 16 20
Charisma 8 10

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 7 27
Bluff -1 0
Concentration 5 37
Diplomacy -1 2
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -1 0
Heal 3 5
Hide 3 6
Intimidate -1 0
Jump 3 18
Listen 3 7
Move Silently 3 4
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 0
Search -1 2
Spot 6 30
Swim 3 4
Tumble 4 7
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Monk)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Concentration (+4)
Skill: Spot (+3)
Skill: Tumble (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Least Dragonmark of Shadow
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Monk)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Skill: Concentration (+1)
Skill: Spot (+1)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness

Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge
Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness

Level 4 (Monk)
Ability Raise: WIS

Level 5 (Monk)

Level 6 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Lesser Dragonmark of Shadow
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist

Level 7 (Monk)

Level 8 (Monk)
Ability Raise: CON
Skill: Spot (+2)

Level 9 (Monk)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Monk)

Level 17 (Monk)

Level 18 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 19 (Monk)

Level 20 (Monk)

Enhancement: Monk Serenity
Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark Use I
Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark Use II
Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark Use III
Enhancement: Static Charge
Enhancement: Way of the Elegant Crane I
Enhancement: Way of the Elegant Crane II
Enhancement: Touch of Death
Enhancement: Fists of Iron
Enhancement: Porous Soul
Enhancement: All-Consuming Flame
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Monk Ninja Spy I
Enhancement: Monk Ninja Spy II
Enhancement: Void Strike I
Enhancement: Void Strike II
Enhancement: Void Strike III
Enhancement: Void Strike IV
Enhancement: Unbalancing Strike
Enhancement: Winter's Touch
Enhancement: Adept of Wind
Enhancement: Master of Thunder
Enhancement: Adept of Rock
Enhancement: Grandmaster of Mountains
Enhancement: Master of Stone
Enhancement: Adept of Flame
Enhancement: Grandmaster of the Sun
Enhancement: Master of Bonfires
Enhancement: Adept of Rain
Enhancement: Master of the Sea
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Improved Jump I
Enhancement: Improved Jump II
Enhancement: Improved Tumble I
Enhancement: Improved Tumble II
Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I

With the new character planner, I will try to see if I can get Shintao III and Void Strike IV.
I am unsure if I will be able to, but we will see.

Mobeius
10-24-2010, 10:13 AM
302 HP seems a little squishy to me especially in end game content where there are big AOE attacks... and Void Stirike IV is great for bosses even if you dont insta-kill, it still a 8d4 (8-32) force damage strike.

Musouka
10-24-2010, 10:28 AM
302 HP seems a little squishy to me especially in end game content where there are big AOE attacks... and Void Stirike IV is great for bosses even if you dont insta-kill, it still a 8d4 (8-32) force damage strike.

I'm sure it will be about 362 with a +6 item, and possibly more with other items and of course Draconic Vitality +10.

Martdon
10-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah that HP is without GFL, +6 CON, Minos, GS Cloak etc (157hp right there and that's the easier to get items)... On the planner, full Barbs with 16-18 CON only get 360HP.

Yeah 8-32 is good damage, but Enduring Strike IV is a sure 16 with a chance of 2-20, and Fire of Purity IV does 2-40, and each can build up to a good finisher. And you really only need a rotation of 4, so I will just use one element to get the finisher, and throw in ToD when it is up.

Mobeius
10-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah that HP is without GFL, +6 CON, Minos, GS Cloak etc (157hp right there and that's the easier to get items)... On the planner, full Barbs with 16-18 CON only get 360HP.

Yeah 8-32 is good damage, but Enduring Strike IV is a sure 16 with a chance of 2-20, and Fire of Purity IV does 2-40, and each can build up to a good finisher. And you really only need a rotation of 4, so I will just use one element to get the finisher, and throw in ToD when it is up.

Enduring Strike IV is also acid damage, fires is fire and lots of mobs dont take fire or acid... Void IV is force which very little is immune to.

IMHO, the best strikes for most mobs are Void IV, Lightening IV and Enduring III or IV and/or Void III fire and cold are weak...

I can see the HP, especially being Elven. So no big deal there given the lack of items.

Martdon
10-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, my standard rotation is going to be
Strike of Enduring IV, Strike of Enduring III, Fists of Iron, The Trembling Earth (Finisher)
The normal damage on Strike of Enduring is added to your main hand damage (so it increase with crits unlike any other monk strike), the extra burst damage it does on crits is acid. So even against mobs immune to acid, that +16/12 damage added to your attack will affect the mob, and increases with a crit. Fists of Iron increases crit damage multiplier by +1 and the finisher by +2.
So the rotation would do damage like this.

Main Hand +16 (10% chance of x2dmg and 2d10 acid dmg), Main Hand +12 (10% chance of x2dmg and 2d6 acid dmg), Main Hand (10% chance of x3dmg), Main Hand (10% chance of x4dmg and prevents target from casting spells debuff)

By the time I hit with finisher, I will be able to start again. (Many Monk builds take GM Mountain, simply to do this combo)

Against bosses immune to crits, using Void Strike IV, Strike of Enduring IV/III would probably be what I would do.

Martdon
10-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Hoping to get the ML 12 Handwraps of Endless Nights, before I can't with this build.
Almost lvl 9 (yay ToD) and have a lot of fun soloing. (As long as I remember to use Wholeness of Body, before running into the next area, when I only have 20hp)

Crinos
10-27-2010, 03:11 AM
I'll be interested to know how you get on in the higher levels as I suspect you are going to struggle with to hit.
No level ups into strength or dex puts you at a disadvantage there.

You might find yourself having to run with PA off a lot, which is a big hit to your dps.

Also, stunning fist is a monk only feat, so you have to take it on one of your monk bonus feat slots. It's not available on the generic lvl 18 feat table. Anyway, I'd recommend taking SF much earlier in the build as it's incredibly useful.

Martdon
10-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Huh, didn't believe you about HAVING to take Stunning Fist as a monk bonus, but went to try it, and sure enough, you do. (Gotta see if I can that into the planner before first patch) So I probably will swap SF and PA around.
Thanks for that info.

Yeah, I am a little bit worried about To-Hit, but all my gear will be geared towards STR and WIS, so I am hoping that I can get a decent score. I may find something else to take at level 18 then instead.

Hopefully Void Strike IV Eraser and Unbalancing Strike (make mobs susceptible to SA) will make up for lack of PA, if it comes to that.

Fecerak
10-27-2010, 03:54 AM
I am just wondering how you are going to get mountain stance IV with 12 starting con lol

EDIT: nvm, didnt notice you used levelups in con.

Martdon
10-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, this build requires tomes for it to work as well. It is definitely not a Min/Max build. At least it has one thing unique. How many other 18 base CON elves are there running around ;).

Hokonoso
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM

302 in char builder doesnt count anything (not even the free hp from gh rep). my monk has 344 in char builder and 529 standing hp without buffs and started with 16 con and has 2 toughness feats. you only need 500hp and then after buffs, especially with a ton with imp evasion! and 302 will reach that easily with just a rage pot.

Martdon
10-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah, like I said earlier, with easier to get gear (Minos, Health Belt of GFL, GS Cloak) I come up to a 457 standing HP, with no buffs. So with a couple harder to get items, and getting with buffs/pots/clickies, you could probably get over 600. So I don't think HP will be a problem.

Martdon
10-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Newb question. I think I know the answer to this, but figured I would check. Displacement and Shadow Fade only help you avoid physical damage, correct?

I'm thinking they would be overpowered if they worked on spells, but I save versus most spells, so I haven't actually noticed if they work or not.