PDA

View Full Version : +1 Enchantment DC or +2 Spell Pen?

elricken
10-22-2010, 04:51 PM
My planned 36 pnt drow sorcerer feats

Toughness
PL Wizard
Spell Focus Enchantment
Greater Spell Focus Enchantment
Maximize
Empower
Extend
Heighten

I have only gone 1x wizard and can't bring myself to grind out another 4 million xp as a wizard, so the question is do I take greater spell focus enchantment (Bringing me to dc 41 Mass hold) or Spell Pen 1 to go along with the wizard past life's bonus to spell penn?

AyumiAmakusa
10-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I'd go with +1 DC but it depends on you (playstyle) really.

Nieche
10-22-2010, 07:10 PM
I'd pick +2 Spell Penetration. No more misses=save SP

Jaid314
10-22-2010, 07:45 PM
My planned 36 pnt drow sorcerer feats

just thought i'd nip this in the bud, there are no 36 point drow. there are 28, 30 (single TR), and 32 (double or more TR) point drow. but not 36 point.

my suggestion: go human, you'll be only one charisma behind the drow (you can take an enhancement for +1 charisma on human, but not on drow), you have plenty of use for constitution (which drow would penalise) and no particular need for dexterity or intelligence (the only benefit of intelligence you likely care about is taken care of by the human +1 skill point bonus)

also, human healing amp is a nice enhancement (much better than, say, spell resistance or improved melee ability for a sorcerer). and the bonus feat can allow you to take both spell penetration *and* GSF:enchantment.

but, if your heart is set on drow... well, i fairly often hold epic targets with a DC 33 mass hold monster, personally... and with both spell penetration feats (plus the enhancements), i still see SR blocking my spells in certain parts of the world. i'd go with spell penetration, unless you plan on *really* focusing on MHM for amrath.

elricken
10-22-2010, 07:53 PM
just thought i'd nip this in the bud, there are no 36 point drow. there are 28, 30 (single TR), and 32 (double or more TR) point drow. but not 36 point.

my suggestion: go human, you'll be only one charisma behind the drow (you can take an enhancement for +1 charisma on human, but not on drow), you have plenty of use for constitution (which drow would penalise) and no particular need for dexterity or intelligence (the only benefit of intelligence you likely care about is taken care of by the human +1 skill point bonus)

also, human healing amp is a nice enhancement (much better than, say, spell resistance or improved melee ability for a sorcerer). and the bonus feat can allow you to take both spell penetration *and* GSF:enchantment.

but, if your heart is set on drow... well, i fairly often hold epic targets with a DC 33 mass hold monster, personally... and with both spell penetration feats (plus the enhancements), i still see SR blocking my spells in certain parts of the world. i'd go with spell penetration, unless you plan on *really* focusing on MHM for amrath.

You are correct, I mistakely said 36 point, I did mean 32 point build. I was human in my past life, but in order for me to have an even standing charisma (42) I need to go drow. My spell penn will still be decent with the wizard past life and spell pen enhancements (I think) and the idea behind this mess of xp grind was to build a caster to speed run epics using and abusing mass hold. With DC 41 I should be able to hold just about anything I want. It is also worth mentioning that even though I am going drow I will still have close to 500 hp and good heal amp (20% dt, 10% Dt, 30% GS).

I could go grind another 4 million xp for the stacking wiz past life, but I can't bring myself to do it. I am leaning towards the extra dc atm as I rarely if never had Spell Penn problems before and I will only have 2 less than in my first and second lives.

elricken
10-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd pick +2 Spell Penetration. No more misses=save SP

With 3k SP, Torc, Conc Opp, Abbot Gloves, and Bauble I rarely if ever run out of sp. So a recast due to missing an SR check doesn't really bother me.

+ Rep for those that have contributed so far

Edit: Will have to give rep tomorrow, am out for the day.

shagath
10-23-2010, 07:51 AM
my suggestion: go human, you'll be only one charisma behind the drow (you can take an enhancement for +1 charisma on human, but not on drow), you have plenty of use for constitution (which drow would penalise) and no particular need for dexterity or intelligence (the only benefit of intelligence you likely care about is taken care of by the human +1 skill point bonus)For me drow was pick because I don't have even 1 extra AP to put on con/cha and you need 6 iirc.

Jaid314
10-23-2010, 01:53 PM
For me drow was pick because I don't have even 1 extra AP to put on con/cha and you need 6 iirc.
hmmm... i have a drow, and i've been finding that (especially at lower levels) i sometimes have to take utterly useless enhancements to get access to good ones at low level. i would speculate that you will find in the process of leveling that human has much more appealing enhancements to fill the need of "wasting" action points than drow does, but i suppose i could be wrong. perhaps you plan on maxing two elemental lines, for example.

so, my suggestion is that instead of using a character planner, try creating a veteran drow sorcerer just as a test, and see if you actually can spend your APs at low levels the way you would like to. i know i was trying to follow someone's FvS build once, and i very quickly found out that the enhancements they were saying to take were frankly impossible.

Dark-Star
10-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Enchantment is what I went with after U7.

The only things that were and issue with SR were raid bosses when casting Exhaustion. Since that spell is no longer essential, the choice was easy.

k1ngp1n
10-23-2010, 02:14 PM
DCs dood.

shagath
10-23-2010, 04:10 PM
perhaps you plan on maxing two elemental lines, for example.You got this exactly right. +1 :)

Jaid314
10-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Enchantment is what I went with after U7.

The only things that were and issue with SR were raid bosses when casting Exhaustion. Since that spell is no longer essential, the choice was easy.

from what i hear, it's still having full effect on some raid bosses. and even the partial effect is not inconsequential.