PDA

View Full Version : When is blunt needed? and what is the best blunt weapon to have?

Bolo_Grubb
10-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I am a TWF khopesh user.

Currently I mostly use a pair of triple positive GS khopesh of skellies. Would random generated war hammers be better? I know my first number is yellow but the holy and PG damage is nice and there is a small chance of greater disruption.

Would a pair of war hammers with either pure good or disruption be better? Base damage is lower but bypass the DR?

Or there there situations where a blunt weapon is better then a GS khopesh?

Thank you

underpants
10-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I would say on Friday around 6:30 when you get home from work and the weekend is starting that is when blunt is needed

Rawum
10-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I am a TWF khopesh user.

Currently I mostly use a pair of triple positive GS khopesh of skellies. Would random generated war hammers be better? I know my first number is yellow but the holy and PG damage is nice and there is a small chance of greater disruption.

Would a pair of war hammers with either pure good or disruption be better? Base damage is lower but bypass the DR?

Or there there situations where a blunt weapon is better then a GS khopesh?

Thank you

Blunt is used to bypass a few other DRs in addition to Skellies:
Clay Golems - DR / Adamantine + blunt
Abbot - DR / blunt + good

Morning stars would give you bludgeoning and piercing for bypassing DR. You could make tripple pos or even just grab a couple metaline of pg.

richieelias27
10-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Morning stars would give you bludgeoning and piercing for bypassing DR. You could make tripple pos or even just grab a couple metaline of pg.

In DDO morning stars only do bludgeon type damage.

Blunt weapons also are the only ones with "of stunning" which gives a chance to stun and improves your stunning blow/stunning fist DC's.

Nyvn
10-22-2010, 12:22 PM
With how rare dr / blunt is at cap +5 Holy of Pure Good is sufficient.

Bolo_Grubb
10-22-2010, 12:24 PM

I have a pair of mace of smiting for golems, the adamantine ones that drop in the Icy chest.

In DDO morning stars only do bludgeon type damage.

Blunt weapons also are the only ones with "of stunning" which gives a chance to stun and improves your stunning blow/stunning fist DC's.

Since I use khopesh and I am slashing specc'd I rarely think about stunning, but maybe I should. A pair of double positve GS blunt weapons would work for skellies and the Abbot.

What other mobs do I need to worry about with blunt?

And thanks for the replies

alcmaeon
10-22-2010, 12:29 PM
A blunt is great after a tough week at the office, and of course the best are Cuban based...

(oh come on, NOBODY else was going there??????????)

richieelias27
10-22-2010, 12:42 PM
A blunt is great after a tough week at the office, and of course the best are Cuban based...

(oh come on, NOBODY else was going there??????????)

I'm guessing Underpants' post flew over your head. Others of us just have better things to do with our lives :P

I have a pair of mace of smiting for golems, the adamantine ones that drop in the Icy chest.

Since I use khopesh and I am slashing specc'd I rarely think about stunning, but maybe I should. A pair of double positve GS blunt weapons would work for skellies and the Abbot.

What other mobs do I need to worry about with blunt?

And thanks for the replies

The named "smiter" mace is just about all you need for Golems. They tend to be pretty weak once you beat their DR, so if you have a pair of those you're good to go as far as golems are concerned.

Stunning gets more useful in Epic quests. So long as a few people in your party are running around stunning/holding stuff, you might not miss being specced for stunning blow.

t0r012
10-22-2010, 12:44 PM
said b4 the clay golems and skellies about it.
Might want to have a blunt on hand for oozes and such so they don't split, thats about all.

For the rarity of blunt DR and things that require it aren't critable any old blunt will do. Morning stars for the high base damage but just hold on to anything you find. Heck even a Maul would get the job done you lose a bit not going TWF but for the rare times you need blunt , it'll do and you don't need to find 2.

Bolo_Grubb
10-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks I guess I will just keep my eyes open for some decent + holy of pure good for skellies.

I have a pair of muck dooms for oozes (almost makes me wish there were more oozes in the game ;-) )

richieelias27
10-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks I guess I will just keep my eyes open for some decent + holy of pure good for skellies.

I have a pair of muck dooms for oozes (almost makes me wish there were more oozes in the game ;-) )

Theyre great for rust monsters as well... though in that case the low hardness makes them break fast-ish anyway...

Loromir
10-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Even though your TWF, you might do well to just use a Maul.

unbongwah
10-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Monster DR bypass types (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=178393): blunt's good for skellies, razor cats, clay golems (+Adamantine), and liches (+Magic).

Freeman
10-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Don't forget about Sorjek in Stealer of Souls. A blunt undead-beater is nice to have in there.

Jofury
10-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Philly Blunt and...whenever you can :)

EustaceTrevelyan
10-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I believe about 4:20;)

QuantumFX
10-22-2010, 08:18 PM
OP: Keep in mind that in some cases switching to a bludgeon weapon may not be better. In the case of a kensai build you have a bunch of damage bonuses to your specific weapon. When you switch to a different weapon type then you lose all the benefits of being a kensai. You will need to compare this on a specific basis, but something with 10 DR/bludgeon wouldn’t be worth the time to switch for if you get +10 more damage for beating on it with your favored weapon. That said, something with a ******** DR like the Lich version of Sorjek is worth getting a couple Posx2 warhammers for.

Dylvish
10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
My current up and coming concept char is a Horc Kensai maul swinging stun factory named Rodeblock. :) The extra cc he has been (so far, low level still) adding to the groups has made up for not being a falchion or khopesh swinger.
... and I'll admit, swinging a tree with a chunk of concrete on the end at things just feels right somehow. :p