PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Mechanic III Turn Trap

Damionic
10-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I'll just put this out there and see what happends.

Turn Trap

On a succesful Disable Device roll you don't switch off the trap you turn it so it effects the enemy..not you (not your party either).

It seems a balanced and fun way to make the mechanic line worthwhile.

incineration
10-21-2010, 03:16 PM
I'll just put this out there and see what happends.

Turn Trap

On a succesful Disable Device roll don't switch off the trap you turn it so it effects the enemy..not you (not your party either).

I seems a balanced and fun way to make the mechanic line worthwhile.

the thought of what that could do in VoD...if they spring when an enemy gets near anyways...

Damionic
10-21-2010, 03:24 PM
If someone wants to point out that mobs are currently affected by traps..the making the trap immune to you and your party would still make it worthwhile.

CrescentCalling_5
10-22-2010, 12:33 AM
It'd be interesting but it seems too limited.

Lithic
10-22-2010, 12:53 AM
It'd be interesting but it seems too limited.

I was going to say it seems to powerfull. Elite traps do as much damage, or more, than a max/emp firewall or bladebarrier. Quests with traps would become drag and slag borefests (remember the old purge the fallen shrine + cloudkill lootrun?).

Instead, traps made by a rogue should get a huge boost at tier 3 (in both DC and damage), and also naturally scale depending on quest difficulty.

Looonatic
10-22-2010, 01:05 AM
How about a death trap? Give a Mechanic III an ability that modifies any existing mine into a death mine: Upon triggering, the victims must make a saving throw or die. Sort of the Mechanic version of the Assassin ability.

Sinni
10-22-2010, 01:42 AM
honestly i'd rather see an increased sneak attack range when using crossbows on mechanic III, and it would be more in line with Mechanic I and II

people often don't even wait for the rogue to disarm the trap, i can't imagine them to wait for you to turn it around and then go and pull mobs through them. maybe in some dangerous spots with a trap nearby, but those are as crescent said "too limited"

edit: and about improved trapmaking: to get trapmaking you need to spend 2 feats. most mechanics probably are repeater builds, and at least on my build i can't spare any feat, let alone 2 (rapid reload, point blank, rapid shot, imp crit, precise shot, imp precise shot, toughness)

Deaths_ward
10-22-2010, 01:53 AM
honestly i'd rather see an increased sneak attack range when using crossbows on mechanic III, and it would be more in line with Mechanic I and II

people often don't even wait for the rogue to disarm the trap, i can't imagine them to wait for you to turn it around and then go and pull mobs through them. maybe in some dangerous spots with a trap nearby, but those are as crescent said "too limited"

edit: and about improved trapmaking: to get trapmaking you need to spend 2 feats. most mechanics probably are repeater builds, and at least on my build i can't spare any feat, let alone 2 (rapid reload, point blank, rapid shot, imp crit, precise shot, imp precise shot, toughness)

I believe trap making is bestowed for free at rogue level 4.

Sinni
10-22-2010, 02:01 AM
I believe trap making is bestowed for free at rogue level 4.

ah, right, forgot about that. but that leaves the issue with gathering the parts for the trap, not to mention the soul stones. without an overhaul of the base of trapmaking i don't think it would add anything notable to the mechanic. especially since DPS wise it's better to go assassin, even on a repeater build... the mechanic needs a bit more oomph imo

Kinerd
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
What about if instead of turning the trap and leaving it where it is, the mechanic III can scavenge the entire functioning trap, to be placed wherever he or she pleases? The only con I can think of is it would be kind of silly to be able to carry around a scythe trap or an array of spikes, so maybe they could be limited to elemental/force/poison traps.

Darkrok
10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
I thought you were going to suggest the one that I've wanted to see. When you walk into range of a trap as a Mechanic III a passive check is made against EVERY trap in range and if it succeeds the trap is disabled. Code it into the spot check area of the code (though it should use the disable number) and just have the trap boxes disable themselves. I'm a big believer in the value of 'convenience' features to classes being almost more valuable than more power. If it saves time (imagine a room like the chest on the cart in Von5 having all 5 traps disable themselves or especially the traps in VoD!) that's worth more to many players than if they get 3% more effectiveness. Putting it deep into Mechanic rewards the pure rogues that went trap-focus with unparalleled ability to disarm traps...they don't even have to try anymore. The traps just give up. :)

EricZanzibar
10-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Darkrok i don't think its a bad idea but not one i agree with... it just seems like it cheapens the whole process and makes everything more rushed. I like the idea that sometimes you just come up to a trap and you simply have to wait until its dealt with.

I'm not sure i like the turn trap idea for the same reason others have given that its used as a way to kill enemies in a monotonous fashion and again, it cheapens the whole process. Besides, traps DO affect enemies already. :-)